Patriots survive fourth quarter rally; Chargers fall to 2-5

The Patriots continue to find different ways to win, while the Chargers continue to find new and creative ways to lose, with special teams heavily involved.

New England prevailed 23-20 in San Diego after newly signed kicker Kris Brown doinked a 50-yard field goal off the upright with 27 seconds to go.  No one can rightly blame Brown for the loss; the much-maligned Chargers special teams actually was an asset in this game as they recovered an onside kick in the fourth quarter that made the game so close.

It was a bizarre game all around.  The Chargers defense played outstanding overall, holding the Patriots to just 210 total yards.  The Patriots led 20-3 going into the fourth quarter, and it could have been much worse.  Tom Brady was held to just 159 yards on 32 attempts, and New England’s leading rusher had 24 yards.

The difference was turnovers.  The Patriots took the ball away four times and didn’t give up the ball.  For the season, the Chargers are -7 on turnover differential, while the Patriots are +6.

That’s why the Patriots are cruising at 5-1, and the Chargers are in serious trouble of their first losing record since 2003 and their first time out of the playoffs since Drew Brees tore his shoulder in the 2005 season finale.

47 responses to “Patriots survive fourth quarter rally; Chargers fall to 2-5

1. wow espn doesnt mention it, and u guys dont either?
    ummm….

2. As a Charger fan that last statement rings true. I believe this off season will be one of major change that we haven’t seen since Drew Brees tore his shoulder.

3. Norvelous Norv’s Bolts are as undisciplined and unfocused a team a there is in the NFL. Critical mental errors all game long.
    Bill Belichick is a genius; rebuilding his defense on the fly!
    Read it weep bitches, the New England Patriots are the best team in the NFL!! The dynasty of the 21st century is back!

4. Looks eerily familiar. The Patriots have no receivers. Nobody really gets open. Yet they reel off a 17 play drive in the second half, play smart, and win the game. No need to get upset about the 5-1 record though. After all, it IS a rebuilding year.

5. Chargers won’t make the playoffs this year. They suck too much. They’ll be lucky if they finish the season 8-8.

6. Man AJ smith has to be fired and Norv Turner has to be fired. The attitude that the bolts have on the field is a reflection of their coach. I saw a receiver get real cocky and try to celebrate and then not realize he was never touched…. then the Forward pass??? Man they just don’t finish plays. They are always playing from behind and always trying to mount a comeback. Whats up with Ryan Matthews??? why are they not being balanced??? Too many pass attempts and not enough running. I predict a 4 and 12 season. I am rooting for AJ and Norv to be fired!!!!! Keep losing bolts!!!!!!!

7. The Chargers are swapping out their Boltman mascot for Junior Seau’s SUV – much better symbolism.

8. My pats are 5 – 1….but i harbor no illusions we were lucky today…better to be lucky than good sometimes though

9. The Patriots already have 2 more road wins than they had last year (London against Tampa didn’t count.) That was an ugly game. But the Patriots will take a road win in San Diego any day, no matter how ugly.
    Oh, as for what I will do when the Raiders win a Super Bowl…I’ll book a ski vacation in Hell.

10. This is a rebuilding year for the Pats and they have four picks in the first and second rounds. They are 5-1 with a defense that is winning games for them and made up of a whole bunch of rookies. Looks like the next decade could be even better than the last.

11. My pats are 5 – 1….but i harbor no illusions we were lucky today…better to be lucky than good sometimes though

12. Lucky my ass.
    If anybody was lucky, it was the Chargers recovering the onside kick that the Pats inexplicably weren’t ready for.
    Not easy to go into San Diego and beat the Chargers, they earned it.

13. Patriots cruising???
    Barely win at home after 5 punts in over time, talk about a coin flip and in San Diego they barely were able to put 200 yards in total offense together and had to wait for the opposing kickers failure???? Would make me feel VERY secure ….

14. Mediahatesraiders says:
    October 24, 2010 7:57 PM
    wow espn doesnt mention it, and u guys dont either? ummm how about the game in denver? You know the game that made history??? some team scored 59 points! ummm….oh yeah i forgot its the raiders media wont ever talk about that. what are u gona do when raiders go to the superbowl?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    What am I going to do when the Raiders are in the Super Bowl? Probably take my new wife Katy Perry for a ride on my flying Unicorn.

15. You take every win you can get. Winning on the west coast is very difficult for a lot of reasons and for the Patriots to go into Miami and dominate MNF, then beat the supposed best team in the NFL Ravens, and then go on the road and win ugly in san diego is extremely impressive.
    As a Patriots fan, 5-1? WOW. I had the Patriots going 11-5 and I am the super optimist.
    and this is a rebuilding year! Feels good to be a Patriots fan.

16. somesome says:
    October 24, 2010 8:40 PM
    Patriots cruising???
    ————————————————
    Keep that head in the sand, buddy. Keep scoffing all season. Last week the D held the Ravens. This week the D held the Chargers until the 4th quarter, and if it wasn’t for one bone headed special teams screwup it wouldn’t have been that close.
    5-1 is 5-1. Keep hating, though. The Pats will fly under the radar right to February.

17. somesome says:
    October 24, 2010 8:40 PM
    Patriots cruising???
    —-
    Talk about a hater, they were down 10 in the 4th qtr last week and came back to win. They go west this week and win.
    It’s the NFL, the SB champs just lost at home to a 1-4 team.
    Any given Sunday, it holds true.
    They have played 6 games and won 5, not to bad.
    Hate on hater, hate on…..

18. Haha at all the Raiders fans. You guys only come out when your team plays its one good game of the year. Bunch of bandwagon jumpers if you ask me, why don’t you go worry about not having a blackout next week!

19. Chargers defense played it’s heart out. Patriots special teams clearly taken unawares.
    The Patriots were lucky the clock ticked the way it did.
    As a Patriots fan I’m telling myself it’s hard to win on the road and the Chargers needed this game. But still I ask, “How is it that a team turns the ball over four, FOUR, times and the outcome is not more decisive?”
    Well, they were playing at home and this is today’s NFL.
    Good teams get better and continue to win in odd ways…
    I hope I’m right.

20. somesome,
    a win is a win, at the end of the year is anybody gonna care how you win? nope. games like this build character more than a blowout does. when things went bad, they were able to do more things right than their opponent. that’s all that matters

21. Gentlemen of San Diego, fair warning “Guard your peckers!” when the Bolts finish tripping over theirs, they are coming for yours.

22. that was a whacky game…never seen one team beat two other teams in the same game…the opposing team and themselves. The Bolts could at least control the ball, but couldn’t control themselves. The Pats were terrible offensively all day. I hope McDaniels gets fired so he can come back and be our OC.
    5-1 is a great start…they couldn’t really ask for more than that. Our defense is growing up and good things are starting to happen. I’m afraid that the injuries to our safeties are starting to pile up too high.

23. If they gave out trophies for bragging about hyourself then the Chargers would be the all-time champions…a dynasty like the Yankees but they’re not.
    zero point zero….:)

24. A W a W. Yes, Pats were lucky and I’ll take that any day over a L. Give credit to SD for being so undisciplined to leave the ball up for grabs not once but basically 2X’s.

25. Both teams tried to lose this game. Chargers in the first half and Pat’s in the second. I was there, the crowd was into it but the Chargers just don’t seem disciplined this year. The least sucky team lost and the Pats have the record to prove it.

26. .
    The rest of the AFC should hope that the Chargers continue to find new and exciting ways to lose. Their defense is very good, and played Tom Brady as well as any team I’ve seen. I would not to be in a “must win” situation with them.

27. Great win for the Pats. It was ugly, but San Diego’s defense is great and that is a tough place to play. This is the kick in the pants the Pats needed right before a string of tough games that inlcude Vikings, Steelers and Colts. Defense is getting better every week and this was one of those games that BB had an entirely different offensive game plan. Offense will be back in the swing next week.
    LOVE BB going on 4-1 at the end even though they didn’t get it. You have to love a coach with confidence in the team. They make that 2 feet and the games over. Chargers had been driving down the field the last two drives anyway.
    Great game Pats!

28. Pats are winning just like the first Superbowl year with Brady at QB.
    They FIND ways to win, or to NOT lose.

29. Was a great game from San Diego, a team who clearly has talent that just makes too many small mistakes.
    That game should have been worse for Patriots fans. It’s a real testament to the Chargers talent and their coaching staff. You don’t do well like that without a good game plan. Now they just need to take the off-season serious while installing the mentality of the team, because they make dumb mistakes.
    It’s a W in the books, but it’s an L in belichick’s eyes when he is going to be doing film analysis.

30. lurch’s nyquil says: October 24, 2010 8:49 PM
    nice 4th and 1 call, BB is a idiot and should be fired
    _____________________________
    Don’t be an idiot. It was actually a good call. Riskier than any call I would have made, but he had a good play called. The O-line got a good block, and all Benny had to do was follow behind them for the first down. For some reason, however, Green-Ellis decided to bounce it outside and ran right into the defense. Oops. As for the decision to go for it, it’s a toss up. If you were the Pats, which would you trust more? The offense to get less than one yard, or the defense to stop a Chargers offense that had come alive all of a sudden? I wouldn’t have made the call, but I understand why he did it.

31. SO they call a time out. I says to my son,
    “I am going to the bathroom but you watch, the SuperChokers will miss this field goal and let the Cheatriots escape with the win!”
    I come back and can you guess what I see…I think you can.

32. Leaving live balls on the field is a great example of why Norv Turner, and Wade Phillips, are bad coaches.
    No discipline at all and no attention to detail.

33. Funny Pats fans, all I commented on was “cruising”. When you barely scratch it out you ain’t cruising. You won, a win is a win and you are what your record says you are. But even Brady said after the SD game that they need to get their offensive game together quick and that they had zero offens in the first half. You are not cruising and you are not going under the radar until January, especially not with such a loud mouthed fanbase. Get real you are not going to beat the Jets, Steelers or Ravens on the road.

34. somesome says:
    October 25, 2010 9:39 AM
    ——————
    They already beat the Ravens, they play the Jets at HOME and has for the Steelers, we will just have to waite and see..

35. somesome says:
    October 25, 2010 9:39 AM
    ——-
    And a “loudmouth fanbase”, please. What fanbase isn’t?
    All offseason on every post about the Patriots all you saw were the haters talking about the demise of the Patriots and now there no ware to be found.

36. I bet Tom felt pretty good on the flight back. His comment of “what offense” was hilarious. What an awful first half. But the sagging, as in toasted Vikings are next. Can’t wait for the Steelers game, that should tell us a lot.

37. See a couple of my buddies already beat me here. Missing all u smack talking Charger fans on the Raider post, so just wanted to say suck it.