Bengals-Falcons one-liners

The Bengals scored 22 straight points to take a third quarter lead, but they couldn’t hold off the Falcons and eventually lost 39-32.

Extensive use of the no-huddle offense had the Bengals passing game in high gear, although QB Carson Palmer rued two incompletions on deep passes to Terrell Owens.

Andre Smith started at right tackle for the first time for the Bengals and did a good job run blocking, but he was also whistled for two false starts and got beaten for two sacks by DE John Abraham.

Sloppiness in all phases of the game helped doom the Bengals.

Bengals CB Adam Jones struggled against Roddy White all day, but did contribute a touchdown on a fumble return.

White’s huge day for the Falcons — 11 catches, 201 yards, two touchdowns and a two-point conversion — was a crucial part of holding off the Bengals.

Falcons RB Michael Turner had 121 yards and two touchdowns, giving him 30 for his Falcons career.

The Falcons offensive line didn’t give up any sacks and allowed only two negative-yardage plays all day.

Said Falcons QB Matt Ryan, “The best part about our football team is the mental toughness. Understanding that there are going to be some ups and downs throughout the game. There are going to be plays that don’t go our way. You need to respond to those. We did that today and we were able to come away with the win.”

Ryan left the game after a hit in the fourth quarter, but Chris Redman made only a cameo appearance as the Falcons got their starting quarterback back after one play.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Bengals-Falcons one-liners”
  1. Laxer37 says: Oct 25, 2010 11:59 AM

All we heard from Bengals fan leading up to the season was how they were going to dominate.
    The reality is the defense has taken a huge step back and the offense can only produce when teams are up big and go into the prevent (see Pats/Falcons).
    Should be an interesting battle between the Browns and Bengals to see who can stay out of the basment in the AFC North.

2. BengalsDouche2 says: Oct 25, 2010 12:23 PM

Laxer- Besides Palmer, what reason did we have to not think we could repeat? On paper, we should be dominating. Unfortunately though, we have a completely inept owner and OC who hold this team back every single year.

3. DerekLutz says: Oct 25, 2010 12:53 PM

@BengalsDouche2
    Reasons:
    -A mediocre front seven that was hidden by a very good secondary last season. Front four are built to stop the run, not get to the passer.
    -4-6 against non AFC North teams last year.
    -Losing 4 of your last 5 last season including the playoff loss to the Jets.
    -The T.Ocho circus.
    -The continuation of the penalty problem. Team never seems prepared. Same as last year with all the false starts, 12 men, etc.
    You’re right about the owner and OC too.

4. tdirr123 says: Oct 25, 2010 1:00 PM

I’m a season ticket holder for the Bengals (only the last 2 years) and have been a fan for 25 years and for some reason always will be. Going into this season with the ineptitude of the offense the past 2 years and the schedule ahead of them, I thought we (yes, as a passionate and paying fan suffering through the lows and celebrating the highs, though few, I reserve the right to say we) were going to be competitive and have a chance to contend for the division title again, but in a tight race with the winner no better than 9-7 or 10-6 at best. Nobody I know outside of a few blowhard bandwagoners predicted dominance for this team, but the performance has been out and out embarrassing. Rehashing the should’ve’s is pointless. I have never seen a team not get the fundamentals and make so many errors (especially pre-snap errors) as this one, save some of the “teams” we had in the lost decade of the 1990’s.
    Of course, I’ll be there sunday vs. Miami sporting whichever jersey of the 6 I have that I’m hoping brings them luck, cheering the first downs, cursing the false starts and 12 men on the field penalties, and singing the ridiculous Bengals Growl song if they can crack the endzone because I’m a fan. Always have been and always will be. Doesn’t mean I’m not critical of the team or the owner or the coaches/players/etc. I’d root for my college even if they were 0-13. I’d root for my kid if he were batting .130 and struck out 3 of every for AB’s.
    I’d just like to see a consistently good team for once. The last time that existed, I was 11 years old and running around in my Boomer Esiason #7 jersey. Hey, maybe I can dig that out of a box somewhere?
    Go Bengals.

5. Whoplayswhere2 says: Oct 25, 2010 1:22 PM

Lol.
    Bengals season ticket holder here as well.
    Screw Boomer, he bites the hand that fed him every week on national TV. I have no respect for him.
    Laxer37, you’re a clown. What fan gets online and is actually rational about their team’s chances on a consistent basis. I can say this, regardless of how Bengals fans talk about domination, we all know in the back of our minds/ hearts, we still have Mike Brown and Bob Bratkowski. These two jokers are not playoff caliber owners/ coordinators.
    I’ll say this, I’d rather be a Bengals fan year in and year out, then cheer for the Steelers while living in California, Utah, Florida or Texas. I’m so sick of seeing more and more Steelers fan as they have good seasons and those same fans being non-existent in years like 2006 and 2009.
    WHO DEY! I see the season as being about 4 games left, 2 against the criminals from the Steel City, 1 with Baltimore, and 1 with the Mistake on the Lake.

6. American says: Oct 25, 2010 3:18 PM

My favorite quote from a Bengals fan at a bar on Sunday: “So who is Roddy White? Is this his rookie season?”
    Oh, and I hate the Steeler bandwagon. It is awful.

7. HandsofSweed says: Oct 27, 2010 12:26 PM

We didn’t go anywhere in 2006 and 2009. We’ve always been here and always will. The difference is simply that enough of (sadly, not ALL OF) us Steeler fans shut our mouths because we had no right to say anything in those two years.
    Don’t mistake silence for abandonment. You never leave Steeler Nation. Ever.