Aaron Maybin calls benching "most frustrating thing I've experienced"

The Bills expected big things from Aaron Maybin after selecting him with the 11th pick in the 2009 draft. But he had a disappointing rookie season, and he hasn’t developed at all as the Bills’ defense has slumped this year, and on Sunday he was inactive for the first time.

Maybin says getting benched on Sunday was rough.

“That’s probably, definitely the most frustrating thing I’ve experienced since I’ve been here,” Maybin said. “All I can do is go out and play every day. I can only affect what I do when I’m on the field. As far as my opportunities to get on the field, that’s up to the coaching staff. But all I can control is what I do on the practice field every day.”

Maybin didn’t criticize the coaching staff and didn’t say he deserves more playing time.

“I’m not a coach. Fortunately that’s not the decision that the people are looking at me to make,” Maybin said. “It’s not my job to decide who’s on the field and who’s doing what. My job is to make sure that when my name gets called I’m ready to produce for this team.”

There’s no word yet on whether Maybin’s name will be called Sunday, when the Bills are in Kansas City.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Aaron Maybin calls benching "most frustrating thing I've experienced"”
  1. clintdogg says: Oct 27, 2010 2:50 PM

Good thing he held out of his rookie year training camp.

2. Nate is Gay for Brady says: Oct 27, 2010 2:50 PM

God Maybin sucks. What a joke of a pick.
    When he actually plays, all he does is run straight ahead and ends up 10 yards behind the QB.
    Pathetic.

3. The Real Shuxion says: Oct 27, 2010 2:55 PM

Wait till you have to start taking Metamucil cause you can’t poop. You will renege on that statement.

4. Meldog says: Oct 27, 2010 2:57 PM

Maybin was a poor personnel decision. Everyone knows it. At least he’s handling this situation appropriately.

5. Busch1724 says: Oct 27, 2010 2:58 PM

getting off the juice must have hurt him.

6. CJ SPILLER says: Oct 27, 2010 3:03 PM

—————————————
    Guess what Aaron? Your not ready to produce and you never will be. Plain and simple, you stink. Go into bodybuilding or the WWF, you can’t play football period!! Wasted draft pick. Cut this guy NOW!!!

7. benh999 says: Oct 27, 2010 3:08 PM

A Bills first rounder is disappointing? I am shocked.

8. dvdxtreme says: Oct 27, 2010 3:14 PM

I can’t believe the Bills drafted this guy ahead of Brian Orakpo…

9. hammer73 says: Oct 27, 2010 3:16 PM

Another Jauron decision. This effects of this moron will be felt by the Bills for years.

10. Ocho says: Oct 27, 2010 3:16 PM

Starting this wkend, Im going to begin thanking the Buffalo Bills everyday for selecting Aaron Maybin. The Washington Redskins have benefitted greatly from that decision.

11. Alydar says: Oct 27, 2010 3:21 PM

This is what happens when Tom Modrak builds his draft board from Mel Kiper’s mock draft.

12. Mangy66 says: Oct 27, 2010 3:25 PM

And Orakpo went 13th. OUCH!!!
    Dear Bills,
    Thanks for passing on our BEAST OLB/DE in the draft by taking your BUST OLB/DE before him.
    Sincerely,
    (insert Skins fan name here)

13. TampaBayBucs7-9 says: Oct 27, 2010 3:28 PM

CJ Spiller knows what he is talking about. Bills 1-15 (only becasue 0-16 would be too cool for Buffalo)

14. RedGoneWILD says: Oct 27, 2010 3:32 PM

Aaron Maybin is a decent person. I live at Penn State and have met him several times. He also volunteered at my son’s youth football league.
    No doubt he was taken way too high in the NFL draft, but that isn’t his fault. See, the way the draft works is that the teams get to decide who they want. All Maybin could do was put himself in a position to go as high as possible. The Bills, by taking him 11th overall, set this kid up with unrealistic expectations from the start and pissed off their fans in the process.
    The real bust is the GM who elected to take him that high. He probably should never have been taken higher than the 3rd round.

15. recent says: Oct 27, 2010 3:36 PM

I was going to correct your spelling of ‘Vernon Gholson’, but I guess ‘Aaron Maybin’ is just a different pronunciation. Both similar stories though, where they seem to be saying and doing the right things, but just can’t translate physical abilities and college success into NFL playing time. Proves yet again that pass rushers are one of the most difficult roles to judge in the draft.

16. theboomking says: Oct 27, 2010 3:39 PM

Good thing they chose this guy over Brian Orakpo.

17. ch19079 says: Oct 27, 2010 3:42 PM

He hasnt really done anything. However, the most frustrating this is seeing another DE, selected in the 1st round after Maybin play well for the Redskins.
    Just another swing and miss for the bills Draft personnel.

18. EShine says: Oct 27, 2010 3:57 PM

Aaron – the “most frustrating thing” is watching you play.

19. Byrd Is The Word says: Oct 27, 2010 3:57 PM

Well I give him credit for not calling anyone out. But, that’s about all I give him credit for.

20. GBfanForever says: Oct 27, 2010 4:00 PM

Who cares about Orakpo? They picked Maybin well before Clay Mathews was taken too. For crying out loud, Brad Jones was picked in the 7th round and he’s probably the better outside linebacker at this point.

21. Hosstyle In Tampa says: Oct 27, 2010 4:10 PM

recent says: October 27, 2010 3:36 PM
    I was going to correct your spelling of ‘Vernon Gholson’, but I guess ‘Aaron Maybin’ is just a different pronunciation. Both similar stories though, where they seem to be saying and doing the right things, but just can’t translate physical abilities and college success into NFL playing time. Proves yet again that *[the Big Pre-Ten-d Conference is the biggest joke in sports]…..pass rushers are one of the most difficult roles to judge in the draft.
    *correction

22. Champ Kind says: Oct 27, 2010 4:30 PM

Almost as frustrating as watching your favorite team waste the #11 pick on Aaron Maybin…..
    Almost.

23. donnyp says: Oct 27, 2010 4:42 PM

The fact that this is “the most frustrating” thing for Maybin proves he is a moron. The fact that he has no sacks and has as effective of a pass rush as Kelsay doesn’t frustrate him makes me frustrated. He was “hand picked” by Jauron which is enough of an explanation. Dick was asleep on the sidelines/war room worrying more about the 60,000 dollars every Friday being deposited into his account than anything to do with the Bills. For the guy that said he should have gone no higher than round 3, I COMPLETELY disagree. Maybin had 1 decent season…this season that he played was only a reality because the guy on the depth chart in front of him had a season ending injury. Joe Pa even knew this kid was a joke and had no choice but to start him. TERRIBLE choice on the Bills part and we will have to regret their decision as fans every Sunday when Clay and Orakpo light it up on their respective teams.

24. GRpatriot says: Oct 27, 2010 4:46 PM

I could be a worse feeling say, if you were a 3rd rounder you would’ve been cut by now!

25. DanSnyder says: Oct 27, 2010 5:20 PM

GBfanForever says:
    October 27, 2010 4:00 PM
    Because the Redskins and Bills were both 4-3 teams when drafting. Clay Matthews wasn’t on the Radar because he was a linebacker. Matthews couldnt play defensive end with his hand on the ground in a 4-3 while Orakpo can and did part last year and college. Maybin was a DE in college despite being undersize at the position in college.
    Not to take away anything from Clay Matthews, he is an awesome player but he is a linebacker, Orakpo is both a great OLB in a 3-4 and DE in a 4-3 which is why this discussion focuses on orakpo and not matthews.

26. ejtowne says: Oct 27, 2010 5:34 PM

I agree with Maybin maybe going in the 2-3rd round. He was a major reach where he was taken. Aaron is a nice guy that had 1 good season. He may have only come in for an injured player that year but, if you look at tape on him he played his a-s off! He was a huge gamble that didn’t pay off. Had he been like his fellow draftees and worked out, people would still find bad things to say, just because of the team he plays for.

27. jmac09 says: Oct 27, 2010 6:18 PM

Hosstyle In Tampa says:
    October 27, 2010 4:10 PM
    recent says: October 27, 2010 3:36 PM
    *correction
    hmm going to have to disagree with that one…michigan seems to be putting out some good defensive pros every year or two..

28. GoFishGo says: Oct 27, 2010 6:33 PM

2 things
    1. just wait bills fans you guys will be picking at the top of the draft again this year. And every NFL team that picks after you will be thanking you again.
    2. This might prove if you hold out your rookie year the odds are that your going to stink and not get that second big contract.

29. rusH1023 says: Oct 27, 2010 6:38 PM

ejtowne says:
    ______________________
    Wise comment, ej. However, the audience here is made up primarily of apes and adolescents. Not sure it will be appreciated as it should be.