Chan Gailey gets a chance for payback against the Chiefs

It’s not surprising that Chan Gailey and Todd Haley couldn’t co-exist in Kansas City. The are both strong offensive minds that attack teams in different ways.

Still, the way Gailey was fired last season was surprising.  Gailey was one of the most respected assistants in the league and Haley decided to keep him as offensive coordinator and play caller.  Until the end of the preseason, at least. PFT broke the story when Gailey was fired last August 31.

In the end, the decision worked out for both parties.  Haley found happiness with Charlie Weis.  Gailey got another head coaching job in Buffalo.  This week, they face off.  Gailey allowed that the timing of the move was unusual, but says he harbors no resentment.

“I understood exactly where Todd was coming from,” Gailey said via
the Chiefs’ official website. “He and I were on different pages and
he wanted to do things the way he wanted to do it and I understand that
completely. I’ve been there.”

This is a dangerous game for Kansas City.  They have been very consistent with their effort each week, but they aren’t a team that can just show up and expect to blow anyone out.  Despite all the problems on Buffalo’s defense, the Bills offense is showing signs of breaking out.

We recommend checking out Bills-Ravens Wednesday night on NFL Replay or watching it on Game Rewind if you have a subscription.  Ryan Fitzpatrick put together one of the most impressive performances we’ve seen all year, and he suddenly has a dangerous receiving corps with Lee Evans, Stevie Johnson, and Roscoe Parrish.  Really.

Gailey pulled off a similar trick in 2008 with Kansas City when he helped Tyler Thigpen lead a surprisingly productive offense in Kansas City down the stretch.  While I think the Chiefs will ultimately win the AFC West this year going away, it wouldn’t shock me at all to see Gailey get a measure of revenge this Sunday.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Chan Gailey gets a chance for payback against the Chiefs”
  1. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Oct 27, 2010 6:48 PM

Yeah, good luck with that as the league’s #1 rush offense takes on the league’s #32 rush defense. K.C. is for real (not Pittsburgh, New England, or New York real, but real enough), and I am not a Chiefs fan.

2. Nate is Gay for Brady says: Oct 27, 2010 7:09 PM

“I understood exactly where Todd was coming from,” Gailey said via the Chiefs’ official website. “He and I were on different pages and he wanted to do things the way he wanted to do it and I understand that completely.”
    BS Coachspeak.
    TRANSLATION
    “I fully understand that Todd is an idiot and can’t get any production out of his multimillion dollar man, Matt Kassel. I hate him, I hate the KC organization for firing me, and nothing would give me more satisfaction in the world then smashing them in Arrowhead and getting our first win. But no, I’m not vindictive.”

3. notoriousdln says: Oct 27, 2010 7:12 PM

trap game for KC, b-lo’s gonna be ready to play

4. MercyMe says: Oct 27, 2010 7:15 PM

The shortcomings of the college spread being used in the pro game are going to fully be on display. The chiefs #1 ranked run offense is going to beat on a horrible D, while the Bills offensive system does nothing but make the D play longer and on less rest. The spread extends the length of the game (by stopping the clock a lot) allowing the more talented or deeper team to wear down it’s opposition. Although the spread that Gailey uses makes a game more interesting. It isn’t conducive to winning.

5. football311 says: Oct 27, 2010 7:18 PM

So it’s gotten so bad that you’re still bragging about how you broke a news story from over a year ago?

6. jumbostyle says: Oct 27, 2010 7:21 PM

Ummm. Sorry man, Buffalo blows and the Chiefs are actually legit this year. Good luck stopping the run. I never had a problem with Chan, but I’m not pissed about him being gone.

7. Agent Cooper says: Oct 27, 2010 7:27 PM

Despite their record, Gailey’s actually done a good job of reviving Buffalo’s offense. After dumping the incompetent Trent Edwards, the offense really came to life and has put up a valiant effort the last several weeks. The reason they continue to lose is that positively atrocious defense. The worst in the NFL. They should have made more of an effort to retain Perry Fewell as defensive coordinator. At least he made that unit look respectable.

8. snnyjcbs says: Oct 27, 2010 7:31 PM

KC will start to back up this week and should come in 3rd in the AFC West, they win nothing “going away”.
    I had the money line with Raiders over Chargers, with Rams over Chargers and will be taking the money line Bills over KC this week for a trifecta.
    I recall how high you were on Denver last year at mid season, at that time I had them finishing 9-7 or 8-8 at best and down they went.
    My predictions for AFC West this year are
    Raiders 9-7
    Chargers 8-8
    KC 8-8
    Denver 7-9

9. RunningOutOfCommentNames says: Oct 27, 2010 7:36 PM

Perhaps, Gailey should be more concerned with winning a damn game than any PFT concocted revenge…..Just sayin

10. disco says: Oct 27, 2010 8:01 PM

#1 rush offense vs #32 rush D? How about the Chief’s #31 pass D against the second highest rated QB in the NFL?
    No seriously Fitzpatrick is. And that’s despite playing the ravens and jets.

11. Roscoe P. Coaltrain says: Oct 27, 2010 8:02 PM

Um you wouldn’t be shocked that the bills would win huh 3G??? Do you honestly think that Haley is not feeling the same urge to destroy chan? Run dmc, jones and Charles are going to make them look like the 32nd ranked D and deep in to the UFL ‘s crappy defense rankings. I agree that cassel is a turd. But, he can hand the ball off all day. We still have Jackie battle and castille too. Also our TE rookie can catch all of cassel’s sloppy passes. The bills can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory every Sunday. This Sunday at arrowhead is no different.

12. merde4brains says: Oct 27, 2010 8:08 PM

The Chiefs have the easiest schedule in league history.

13. wwwmattcom says: Oct 27, 2010 8:21 PM

How can anyone speculate on this game. You are a fool if you think rank of offense or defense means anything. Bills shredded the ravens defense. Does kc have that d? Do the ravens have a run game? Was the game still decided in OT?

14. Byrd Is The Word says: Oct 27, 2010 10:11 PM

As a Bills fan, it pains me to say it, but I really wouldn’t mind going 1-15 this year. I just don’t want 0-16. They need to bottom out once and for all, so they can rise again.
    With that said, KC could be in for some trouble. If Fitz maintains his play, the Bills will be trouble for quite a few teams still this year. And sorry KC fans, but the Chiefs are no where near the realm of the Ravens. This could be one the Bills take.

15. CKL says: Oct 28, 2010 3:23 AM

Well one thing’s for sure…I don’t feel as bad now about how the Pats’ D looked against Buff.

16. pfinfl says: Oct 28, 2010 7:33 AM

I watched the replay of the Bills-Ravens game and the Bils QB was awesome. Fumbles cost them an upset.

17. AWestcave says: Oct 28, 2010 10:01 AM

@snnyjcbs
    My predictions for AFC West this year are
    Raiders 9-7
    Chargers 8-8
    KC 8-8
    Denver 7-9
    ————————————————————
    fair enough. However the way the Chargers are playing, having lost to the Rams, Chiefs, Seahawks and Raiders, I don’t see what they do to take a tie-breaker over KC.
    You’re predictions are just that: Predictions, of course. But given the way the teams have played so far, they make no sense to me.

18. joetoronto says: Oct 29, 2010 6:42 AM

Bills shock the Chiefs on Sunday.

19. bigfranky75 says: Oct 29, 2010 11:18 AM

The Chiefs are the Bills of 2008…. If you’ll remember, the Bills started that season 5-1 and then crashed and burned, ending the season 7-9. What became painfully obvious after the beginnign of the season when they were dominating was that they were playing SH!T teams….
    KC will run a similar course this year. they arent “legit” or as good as their record. fact.