The FOX pregame show fake laughs as much as you think

Fake laughter has become a staple of every NFL pregame show, just like picking games and last minute injury news.

The true visionary in the overlaughing era was FOX.  The network started the trend, and FOX continues to destroy the field in pretending to have a better time than they really are.

The Wall Street Journal did an analysis of the CBS and FOX pregame shows in Week Five.  The Journal (or is it the Wall?) determined that laughter took up 142 seconds of the FOX show, roughly 11.6% of the time that the five hosts on the show were seen together.

Terry Bradshaw led the way, laughing for over 92 seconds all by himself.

CBS’ crew, who are about as funny as an episode of Two and a Half Men, only laughed for 43 seconds.  Maybe they’ve learned not to force it.

Mike Ditka remains one of my favorite pregame analysts because he refuses to join in with the other ESPN guys when they are yukking it up.  The look on Ditka’s face while his cohorts are pretending to have an awesome time is legitimately hilarious.

Permalink 99 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
99 Responses to “The FOX pregame show fake laughs as much as you think”
  1. RedGoneWILD says: Oct 28, 2010 1:32 PM

Gregg, this is the best blurb you’ve ever written…well done sir!

2. buckup says: Oct 28, 2010 1:34 PM

If you have nothing of note to say then laugh! Love the strategy

3. BroncosFan says: Oct 28, 2010 1:39 PM

The only pre/post-game show that actually pulls this off is TNT’s NBA, partly because of Barkley, but mainly because they remember to supplement original takes/analysis with yuks instead of the other way around. And, maybe I’m chronologically wrong, but it seems like Fox took the cue from them on the old-boys-club vibe.

4. JoeSchmoe says: Oct 28, 2010 1:39 PM

An NBC payroll man taking shots at the competition… while it’s merited, you’re starting a war 3G!
    But I didn’t realize it was now acceptable on PFT to post “stories” that are really just random thoughts, having nothing to do with the actual game… hmmm….
    Yes, the pre-game shows ARE indeed 95% dumb filler lead-up’s to the actual game. Don’t we already all know this though?

5. Facts Domino says: Oct 28, 2010 1:39 PM

Then you guys are doing great with your 0.6% laughter. 0.5% would have to be created to the non-funny Seinfeld references.

6. Slow Joe says: Oct 28, 2010 1:42 PM

When I realize what they are getting paid for their fake laughs, I cry.

7. YYYASS says: Oct 28, 2010 1:43 PM

The FOX show is an absolute train wreck now. I actually enjoy the CBS show. Boomer and JB keep things focused, and they’ve all developed a good raport with Cowher – even though he’s a Steeler homer, and Shannon Sharpe is funnier than anyone on FOX. He is a bit of a mushmouth, but tolerable. The CBS production values are better, and the host is MUCH better.

8. Wolframpau says: Oct 28, 2010 1:43 PM

This is just like the happy talk that invaded Channel 7 news and all other local newscasts. The producers of these pregame shows must love all this. I don’t remember Brent, Irv, Phyllis and Jimmy the Greek laughing this much.

9. Art Van Delay's brother says: Oct 28, 2010 1:45 PM

Bradshaw has constantly sought attention from his days in Pittsburgh to his current role as the talking jackass.
    He’s mentally unstable. For example, watch his appearance on MNF Steelers vs Ravens from 3 years ago where he says proud of Ben Roethlisberger and implies they are friends.
    Fast forward to this summer where he says “he doesn’t know Ben but I’m learning to not like him.”
    Words of an attention deprived fool.

10. JVult says: Oct 28, 2010 1:47 PM

They were just laughing because ESPN keeps referring to them as experts. Look back to their season predictions and you will get a good laugh.

11. It'sJustAGame612 says: Oct 28, 2010 1:54 PM

I’ll take CBS and Fox’s laughing any day over NBC’s joke of a show Football Night in America.. The worst cast you could possibly assemble..

12. Citizen Strange says: Oct 28, 2010 1:54 PM

The ESPN show verges on the unwatchable. Their saving grace is it’s the only pro football pregame show on at 8:00 AM PST.

13. Nard100 says: Oct 28, 2010 1:55 PM

And let me guess, the most poignant show about football belongs to…..NBC? LOL

14. superfluousK says: Oct 28, 2010 1:55 PM

The lack of laugh stats for NBC is shocking.

15. Westlak says: Oct 28, 2010 1:56 PM

When I fake laugh along with them it makes me genuinely laugh. They must auditioning for a local
    news job. :-)

16. Drew Brees' Face Smudge says: Oct 28, 2010 1:56 PM

Kinda like when Berman laughs at the “Mayne Event” segment.
    Its never been funny and Berman looks like a douche trying to sell it.
    Another reason not to watch pre-game shows anymore. Premeditated dead air. They all suck.

17. big log says: Oct 28, 2010 1:56 PM

Slow news day at the Wall Street Journal? Isn’t there an economic crisis to cover or something?

18. PkrNboro says: Oct 28, 2010 1:57 PM

The internet has rendered these shows, and most color commentary, irrelevant.
    I’ve avoided these shows for several years, and don’t seem any worse for the experience (or lack thereof…). I don’t miss the rudeness, the shouting… none of it.
    The $64,000 question is: “when will the networks realize this?”
    The same goes for the overly-ornate, retina-numbing graphics.
    Additionally, I’ve never met anyone who said: “God, I can’t wait to hear Junior sing some lame poem” 0r his female counterpart on Sunday nights…
    All of these things could go by the wayside without the NFL missing a beat…

19. Wolfpig says: Oct 28, 2010 2:00 PM

Continuing with this theme I wish someone would measure the “fake laughter announcing” that takes place during EVERY NFL game constantly. It’s maddening.
    “Well that Jerome Harrison, when he hits you, he hits hard!”
    (Insert awful, forced laughter here)
    “You can say that again!”
    It’s like a bad Abbott and Costello routine, if Abbott and Costello were Carrot Top and Gallagher. The slapstick element to announcing an NFL game is an absolute atrocity. Great article here.

20. Hap says: Oct 28, 2010 2:00 PM

They could be crying. Dallas is Fox’s biggest draw and they are 1-5, and their fans are losing interest.

21. mp21ways says: Oct 28, 2010 2:00 PM

I am entertained by Steve Young restrained facial contortions trying to decipher what the words Matt Millen just put together are meant to mean. I also enjoy watching Matt Millen’s GWBush-like squint when he is trying to demonstrate his intelligence.

22. Profanity in ALL CAPS says: Oct 28, 2010 2:06 PM

this is the best thing you’ve ever written.
    i’ve never seen 2 and a half men.
    I’d go with “30 Rock” or “outsourced” for that joke.
    Those are the most overrated pieces of garbage on TV.

23. Chiefs2010 says: Oct 28, 2010 2:07 PM

Fox and CBS guys are the same garden variety meatheads, different networks (even the hosts look identical)
    ESPN is even worse, though the former players are more irrelevant (Carter, Keyshawn, Jackson, Dilfer, Millen, Ditka – I wouldn’t listen to their opinion even if they walked into my living room…)
    But NFL network actually holds the personalities and tomfoolery down a bit (with the exception of Irvin and Sapp) and provides decent analyst (see LaCanfor, Lombardi..)

24. PhillyBunz says: Oct 28, 2010 2:08 PM

Wow…love this post.

25. Meldog says: Oct 28, 2010 2:10 PM

I’d take the laughing over listening to Shannon Sharpe talking with cotton balls in his mouth.

26. Mike D says: Oct 28, 2010 2:10 PM

The Fox show is truly a bafoon-fest, but let’s be honest here Florio – even on their worst day, its still better than NBC’s off-the-charts crappy Football Night in America.
    Having Costas do football is like having John Madden do baseball. Its ridiculous. The only thing that could make that show worse would be the addition of Joe Buck.

27. HomoforRomo says: Oct 28, 2010 2:14 PM

All of these shows should be banned, as they are all the same- 5-10 idiots spend the pregame show talking about what they think is going to happen, then spend the postgame show explaining why what they thought was going to happen didn’t happen.
    And the only thing worse than morons sitting around a desk set giving their opinions? Morons standing on an in studio faux playing field giving their opionions.

28. dougflutiefan says: Oct 28, 2010 2:15 PM

I blame Pardon the Interruption for ruining sports shows. It seems like every show on ESPN has two have at least two guys arguing seperate view points. Thank God they got rid of the Sean Salisbury and John Clayton segment on Sportscenter. Can’t things just go back to how they used to be? Please get rid of Keyshawn and Cris Carter. They are terrible.

29. NinersRule! says: Oct 28, 2010 2:17 PM

Awesome stuff. Thank you 3G

30. hotchick says: Oct 28, 2010 2:20 PM

Dont like? Dont watch. Not so hard. I dont.
    If you hate it and watch it, why are they going to change anything? If people are watching, even if puking while doing so, they are getting what they want.

31. slickzmoney says: Oct 28, 2010 2:20 PM

All the pre-game shows have become unwatchable with the rowdy guys hanging out talking football theme. Its like trying to watch anything on fox news. Alot of noise with no content. Miss the days of Jimmy the Greek.

32. Mick says: Oct 28, 2010 2:21 PM

What they need is more people in the studio with them – the more they have the better the shows become.
    (sarcasm)
    I love the Fox guy at commercial breaks – you know, the transformer thing that’s playing an air guitar. This brings in audiences who normally wouldn’t tune in to the games.
    And I wish stadiums would let me know when it’s time to clap or make some noise.

33. east96st says: Oct 28, 2010 2:25 PM

A TV personality being less than 100% sincere while on camera? NO!!! When did this happen? Does the FCC know? Next thing you’ll be telling us is people spend tens of millions of dollars to get elected to Congress so they can do favors for their biggest donors!!!! We all know the TV personalities believe and mean everything they say and politicians just want the chance to serve the common man.

34. RSingh1024 says: Oct 28, 2010 2:26 PM

CBS should be 2 hours long every week….absolutely the best pre game show in the NFL, football night in america is second….i really miss NFL Primetime with Berman and Jackson ALONE!!!!, the BLITZ is not really good as it is broken up….Sharpe Marino Cowher and Brown and crew take it to the next level and address real “football” talk……they focus on the game itself….ESPN is not bad but they are a distant second…

35. Infidel says: Oct 28, 2010 2:27 PM

Ditka is fuming cuz they just showed the Bears highlights ….

36. SteelTown-6 says: Oct 28, 2010 2:27 PM

“they continue to destroy the field in pretending to have a better time than they really are.”
    Why shoudn’t they? You guys at PFT pretend to be better at journalism than you really are…

37. cr64 says: Oct 28, 2010 2:27 PM

If you want fake laughter, listen to that no talent Robin Quivers, she’d fit right in with Bradshaw!!

38. melikefootball says: Oct 28, 2010 2:31 PM

I stopped watching Fox prame when Bradshaw got on his soapbox about how he would not have Steelers QB on his team,bla, bla, bla. The show is a deperment to the game itself. This just adds full to the fire,that they think there show is more entertaining than it is.

39. connie73 says: Oct 28, 2010 2:33 PM

So what if Bradshaw said nice things about Ben 3 years ago and he don’t now. You should have heard what I said about Ben 3 years ago and then hear me now. You would have to wash your ears out with gas and put a match it them.
    Maybe where you sit you think all Steeler fans like Ben but your wrong.We have alot of people in Pgh you only see 65,000 at the game and more than half of them are so drunk they chase people around they away.
    Next time they play in Pgh look and see after half time how many people leave.

40. Raiderfankirk says: Oct 28, 2010 2:35 PM

And those guys are funny as hell talkin shit to each other. My fave is NFL network. Watching Marshal and Rich give Micheal Irvin shit about the Cowboys cracks me up every Sunday.

41. pfinfl says: Oct 28, 2010 2:39 PM

Best blurb I’ve read on PFT in a while. Greg, u have redeemed yourself.

42. DocBG says: Oct 28, 2010 2:42 PM

It would be much better to have the mummified corpse of tony dungy and his creepy lifeless eyes staring into the souls of viewers….
    Ditka is by far the best, and largely because he is angry.
    You fail to make any mention of the faction that Fox TRIES to make things funny with callendo (not that they often succeed)

43. C. says: Oct 28, 2010 2:43 PM

How is Mike Singltary going to do next season? He’ll be right there with Ditka.

44. churchston winsthill says: Oct 28, 2010 2:44 PM

They’re all just awful beyond belief. The idiotic buffoonery, endless guffaws and completely over-the-top hype doesn’t just insult your intelligence, it murders it and dismembers its corpse for good measure. The only funny thing about any of it is watching these wealthy old jocks talk all over one another while attempting to get a few seconds of screen time for themselves.
    I watched the post-game on CBS after the Pittsburgh-Miami game and my God were those guys awful. They were all stammering and interrupting each other while trying to spit out ten second summaries of game highlights that were flying by faster than they could speak. They could just have one guy narrate the highlights while scrolling fantasy stats on the screen and who’d care?

45. Commandant says: Oct 28, 2010 2:47 PM

Unfortunately, Fox Sports is just as fake as Fox News.

46. Johnny Utah says: Oct 28, 2010 2:47 PM

I can’t bear to watch any of these pre-game shows any more – they are all horrible and have way too many uninteresting former players and coaches. Speaking of unentertaining segments aired in connection with football, any chance you guys can get the Tiny Football League bits to stop airing on Sunday nights?

47. Testify says: Oct 28, 2010 2:48 PM

this is the whole reason i dont watch those shows anymore.

48. mfclock says: Oct 28, 2010 2:50 PM

shannon sharpe is like a horse with a mouthful of nickels..and yes, two and half men is very funny

49. TS says: Oct 28, 2010 2:50 PM

They all stink even the NFL network. They talk about the same teams every week.

50. PriorKnowledge says: Oct 28, 2010 2:53 PM

So NBC is taking pot shots at CBS and Fox. Sort of like how TV shows ridicule movies and movies ridicule TV.

51. nstarqb says: Oct 28, 2010 2:54 PM

Fox had it all then lost it all when they let JB go. CBS is ok but Sharpe can’t handle the highlights. NBC night show has a terrible pairing of Dungy and Harrison. If a network was smart and espn almost had it right on espn2 they would do an hour long fantasy special leading up to the game instead of some former players telling us how it use to be.

52. BBB82 says: Oct 28, 2010 2:54 PM

I’d rather they fake laugh than fake yell like on NFL Network’s pregame. For some reason those guys think their point becomes more valid if they try to yell it.

53. JohnnyFootballHero says: Oct 28, 2010 2:57 PM

Seriously, guys – give credit to the Wall Street Journal for reporting this, not to Gregg for “blogging” about a piece he saw elsewhere…

54. TheCityThatReeds says: Oct 28, 2010 2:57 PM

“anything with Charlie Sheen is gold Jerry, pure gold” – Kenny Bania

55. if yer not first... says: Oct 28, 2010 2:59 PM

I don’t know there Homo – I think I’d go with morons sitting in the public library typing in their opinions on a blog for free as being the worst.

56. HomelandDefense says: Oct 28, 2010 3:07 PM

I agree that Shannon Sharpe sucks
    But I do like Bruschi, Sterling Sharpe, and Schlereth.

57. realitypolice says: Oct 28, 2010 3:12 PM

Stop watching. I haven’t watched one second of an NFL pregame show in 5 years.
    I understand bitching about the game announcers- they are actually on the game telecast and thus impossible to avoid.
    But seriously, if these guys annoy you that much, just turn it the hell off. It isn’t like you going to hear anything useful anyway.

58. TorVikeFan says: Oct 28, 2010 3:20 PM

Good point, but it’s hardly news.
    Sports shows, along with pretty much the rest of the entertainment industry, is one big crap-fest. And, yet, many, many Americans spend the better part of your leisure time glued to every TV show and enthralled by the latest Hollywood fare — you know, comedies with laugh-tracks so you can giggle and guffaw reflexively (like Pavlov’s dog) irrespective of whether they’re funny, and TV shows and movies with nonsensical or simplistic plots or special effects in lieu of any plot, clichéed dialog, one-dimensional characters, and a lot of blow-’em-up, crash-into-’em, punch-’em-up kinda action.
    It’s a veritable feast of mediocre crap that’s lapped up by an eager American public with glazed-over stares, without discernment or criticism. But it’s big bucks for the purveyors of that crap each of whom is interested merely in serving-up his/her particular brand of crap and running to the bank with pockets full of cash.

59. PasqualWisdom says: Oct 28, 2010 3:25 PM

I love football and for the most part I love the way NFL Network programs their channel. I like NFL Replay, Sound FX, and a few other shows that air constantly, but the talk shows are awful. I loved watching Deion, Irvin, and Marshall Faulk, but watching them on TV all scream the same rehashed BS (simultaneously) is unwatchable.
    Some of the posts above mine are dead on. These guys aren’t just talking over each other (so you can’t hear what anybody is saying), they’re actually YELLING over each other – making it even more annoying.
    ESPN seems to have a little more control over the interruptions, but this is why you don’t hire egotistical former athletes to break down games. Forget the credibility gained from actual playing experience, THEY NEVER SHUT UP! I’m sure they’ve been told all their lives that they are special and as a result, they believe this. Their idea being, my opinion is more important than the rest of the panel, so I’ll just interject my take NOW!
    Thank god for Adam Schefter’s Twitter timeline for injury updates. I’m now able to either sleep until 15 minutes before kickoff or do something other than listen to these moronic panel shows. How about some creative new ways to do these shows? Anybody?

60. StevieMo says: Oct 28, 2010 3:25 PM

This is awesome. I don’t know what is worse: All this phony laughter on pre-game shows or Deion Sanders’ shuckin’ and jivin’ on NFL Network GameDay.
    I used to like Sanders. Now I think he’s the world’s biggest horse’s ass and a living, every-week parody of Amos and Andy.
    Mind you, I’m an urban white boy usually drawn to black-oriented literature, art and music, so if I think this, that goofball’s in trouble.

61. Kisstherings says: Oct 28, 2010 3:26 PM

As annnoying as they sometimes are…….I’ll take Bradshaw and Johnson laughing it up any day of the week….as apposed to suffering through another Tony Dungy and Rodney Harrison snooze fest….

62. Bell63 says: Oct 28, 2010 3:30 PM

I’m with Reality – Don’t watch the pregame shows. Football has been more enjoyable for me since making that decision last season.

63. GBfanForever says: Oct 28, 2010 3:40 PM

Are you trying to suggest that the fox broadcasting company would fake something? Well I never!

64. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Oct 28, 2010 3:41 PM

Personally, I’m so exhausted from chris berman’s out-of-breath routine, I could puke.
    And there’s no relief w/ Terry Bradshaw. Just ask Jojo Starbuck, wife #13, I think.

65. Kisstherings says: Oct 28, 2010 3:42 PM

@Mike D says:
    October 28, 2010 2:10 PM
    ————————————————-

66. TorVikeFan says: Oct 28, 2010 3:43 PM

It’s not just the fake laughter.
    It’s also the extreme or hyped positions taken by some of the analysts. Instead of seeing a world of varying tones of grey, too many analysts see either utter stupendousness or complete ineptitude in the performance of every player. And that changes with the fortunes of the teams. This week’s best player of all time may well be next week’s hopeless bum. Just listen to Gruden on MNF to see what I mean.
    Plus, let’s not forget the speculation. If you don’t have the facts, just make it up! That’ll keep the ratings up.
    Then there’s the ones who pretend to be discerning analysts but who really know nothing. I watched Sterling Sharpe, Joe Theismann and Brian Baldinger discuss the Moss trade a couple of weeks ago on the NFL Network. Each “reasoned” that the trade would neither hurt the Patriots or help the Vikings! Really. Let’s see, we have a future HOF WR who is still one of the top threats in the NFL but whose absence or presence on a team will not make any difference whatsoever. Brilliant! The NFL Network pays them the big bucks for that.
    Only in America.

67. Topher says: Oct 28, 2010 3:46 PM

Reading your post was an awesome time.
    Damn if the Hobbit isn’t turning into the journalist.
    Now you’ll get all big headed and we’ll have to endure your spelling for the next ten days.

68. Floriostoupee says: Oct 28, 2010 3:50 PM

Wait a sec……A site owned by NBC taking pot shots at other networks? Say it isn’t so…….
    Any particular reason why the NBC pregame show was left out of the discussion?
    The Wall Street Journal is owned by NewsCorp, who also owns Fox, and they are willing to take shots at their own, why wouldn’t PFT? Scared? Oh wait, I know, it is cause there is nothing funny on the NBC show, in fact, there is nothing of substance on that show at all!

69. burntorangehorn says: Oct 28, 2010 3:52 PM

I’m really surprised anyone can actually sit through one of these pre-game shows without changing the channel. The FOX and CBS lineups make Lee Corso look positively brilliant.

70. Kisstherings says: Oct 28, 2010 3:53 PM

@pasqualwisdom
    ———————————————–
    Alright. I’m a little behind on the twitter thing but this sounds like exactly what I need. I have an iphone. Exactly how do I get this and these updates?

71. Terrell Blowens says: Oct 28, 2010 3:57 PM

Hahaha wow to whoever decided to analyze this. But it’s so funny

72. Art Van Delay's brother says: Oct 28, 2010 4:17 PM

@ Connie73
    Nice string of gibberish…let me guess, home schooled by Bradshaw?
    Aren’t you the slime ball that begged for Ben Roethlisberger’s legs to be broken and wished for his death on past posts?
    A very small minority of Steeler fans hold anything close to your warped mind.
    If Republicans can forgive Bush for going AWOL and Democrats can forgive Clinton screwing around with an intern; football fans can forgive players. Get a life.

73. All Day Long says: Oct 28, 2010 4:34 PM

Have you heard and watched Michael Irvin on NFL Network. He is constantly laughing as loud and long as possible and playfuly hitting and grabbing the arms of his fellow announcers. It is painful and very uncomfortable to watch

74. reo says: Oct 28, 2010 4:37 PM

People actually watch pregame shows?

75. heyguru says: Oct 28, 2010 4:43 PM

Terry Bradshaw, just remember 1 thing:
    We’re not laughing with you,
    We’re laughing at you…..

76. connie73 says: Oct 28, 2010 4:55 PM

art van delay you are so right. i still want rapers bens legs broken. i sure said that. but you tell me when i said for him to drop dead.
    never in print just in my thoughts.
    get over it. are you from pgh. if you are you know what i’m talking about. i’m from pgh

77. snoopysnoopy13 says: Oct 28, 2010 5:00 PM

Anyone who watches these “shows” regularly and for their entire duration is either deaf or has the IQ of a gnat (and that may be insulting the gnat a little bit).

78. joetoronto says: Oct 28, 2010 5:02 PM

Meldog says: October 28, 2010 2:10 PM
    *********************************************************
    Exactly. I watch the Fox pregame show because first and foremost, I can understand what they’re saying.

79. snoopysnoopy13 says: Oct 28, 2010 5:08 PM

NY Times columnist Maureen Dowd, after listening to Bradshaw dispense advice at a motivational seminar:
    “He seemed more like a man who could use some advice rather than one paid for giving it. “

80. worsethings says: Oct 28, 2010 5:22 PM

Art Van Delay’s brother says: October 28, 2010 1:45 PM
    ____________________________________
    I would bet there are a lot of people that have done the same as Bradshaw and pretend not to know Ben now.

81. PFTisRetarded says: Oct 28, 2010 5:24 PM

Good stuff Gregg!

82. 18ALLDAY says: Oct 28, 2010 5:39 PM

The worst in the business.
    1 Keyshawn Johnson
    2 Rodney Harrison
    3 Chris Mortensen(knows a lot but listening to him annoys me for some reason)
    4 Warren Sapp
    5 Terry Bradshaw(he’s either yucking it up or giving some serious lecture to a current QB. Anyone that was in Cannonball Run I can’t take serious)
    5b Boomer Esiason

83. jayy says: Oct 28, 2010 5:54 PM

must be a slow day in the world of sports new huh .. lol laughing post..wow

84. Purple DrAnk says: Oct 28, 2010 5:55 PM

Pretty excellent post.

85. tooz56 says: Oct 28, 2010 6:32 PM

Hate you for being a Raider hater, but LOVE this. I love how you called them out ! The pre-game shows have become UNWATCHABLE !!!!!!!!! I can’t remember the last time I watched 1.
    Marble mouth Shannon Sharp has no business talking on TV, Boomer is just an angry Bully that never won ANYTHING. (He was a Bully in Elementary school…look it up )
    Warren Sapp has to have something wrong with him.
    The only decent show is the post game show on the NFL network, as long as Deion doesn’t get too crazy.
    Oh and two and a half men has to be one of the worst shows on TV ! How in the world is that show a top Sitcom ?? You know what…maybe most of the country likes that stupid corny fake laughter after all

86. Raiders757 says: Oct 28, 2010 6:47 PM

“CBS’ crew, who are about as funny as an episode of Two and a Half Men, only laughed for 43 seconds. Maybe they’ve learned not to force it.:
    Actually, “Two and a Half Men” is pretty darn funny. I guess 3G and those who agree don’t truly ralize this because their wives are making them watch “Dancing With the Stars instead. We all should probably be watching Monday night Football, but that has become a shell of it’s former self and no longer worth watching now that BSPN has taken over.
    On the topic at hand, the FOX pregame coverage is a pathetic joke, and has been for quite some time. CBS just plain blows them away. In reality, FOX is even worse than BSPN, and that says it all, as BSPN is crap on a stick. NFLN(Despite Sapp being the #$%@ he is) and CBS have good football coverage. NBC? They’re stuck in the middle. Not all that bad, but not good either.

87. smiley says: Oct 28, 2010 6:59 PM

Fake news, fake laughter

88. dscjmc says: Oct 28, 2010 7:08 PM

“Hold on! The name of the hurricane is Ditka”

89. bwisnasky says: Oct 28, 2010 7:10 PM

I can’t remember the last time I watched a pre-game show…. on any network…

90. packers4life says: Oct 28, 2010 7:41 PM

“I agree. The only thing worse than Costas on ‘Football Night in America’ is the halftime and postgame show with Dungy and Harrison. It is awful.”
    and Dan Patrick makes it worse. Ugh I can’t stand listening to that guy. He is so dull and tries his best impersonating Chris Berman when they show highlight reels. While I don’t mind watching the game, watching the NBC pre-game and halftime show is a waste of anyone’s time. They basically talk about the same thing each and every week and have that pointless Tiny Football League segment. I don’t think I’ve heard any laughter from any of those three before either, especially from Dungy

91. Philtration says: Oct 28, 2010 8:13 PM

I quit watching all of this crap years ago.
    Do you really need a bunch of clowns telling you what is going to happen, what happened in the first half and what happened after the game is over?
    I don’t.
    If you need that much direction on watching TV then you having a bigger problem than worrying about what your favorite team is doing.
    I wait for the kick off and then watch the game.
    At half time I walk away until the game starts again.
    After the game ends I find something else to do.
    Simple.

92. Kappy says: Oct 29, 2010 12:44 AM

Interesting stuff. Although it’s not a pregame show, my favorite is Inside the NFL. I think Simms is a great analyst & Collinsworth is not too bad himself. I love it when those 2 go at it. That show would be absolutely perfect if they got rid if that egotistic idiot Warren Sapp & either brought back Marino or added Gruden or Strahan. For those of you who haven’t seen it, check it out Wednesdays on Showtime. This show is worth the Showtime subscription itself. I have no clue why HBO let this show go to it’s main competitor. A truly great example of how this show is great was this past week. Although it was luck, they had Tony Romo mic’d for the Monday night game. When knocked him out, you heard a “pop” on the mic (presumably Romo’s collarbone), then heard him moaning in pain. Even as a Giant fan I hate to see a competitor like Romo suffer such an injury, however having him mic’d during that game made you feel like you were right there on the field.

93. Patsfan87 says: Oct 29, 2010 6:56 PM

In my opinion King, Dungy and Harrison are the best. They all have influence on the NFL Commissioner. Look at Harrison’s comment on the late hits and then the NFL’s Ray Anderson listened. Dungy if a HOF former coach and Harrison is a retired but respected player.

94. LostSok says: Oct 29, 2010 9:16 PM

I agree with YYYASS . The CBS pre-game SMOKES ESPN or FOX. I don’t even bother with pregame until CBS is on. Just a waste of time.

95. Bikerhal says: Oct 30, 2010 9:01 AM

What about the college announcers? Lou Holtz! ha ha ha ha
    Of the pro announcers, i can’t stand Boomer, and even have lost respect for Behrman after seeing an outtake on You Tube where he rails against the tv crew; what a jerk. Cheers to the poster who described Dungy with creepy eyes, that dude is weird.
    I like Troy Aikman in the booth. Good insightful info, why not put him on the pre game show. Although I despise Collinsworth, his savvy and inside perspective are very interesting. Terry B? Oh man, after seeing his naked butt in “Failure to Launch” I can’t take him seriously anymore. He needs to retire.

96. Unwashed Villager says: Oct 31, 2010 11:06 AM

This is why I like this site, the posters post some absolutely hilarious stuff.
    I quit watching pre-game garbage years ago, and it’s good to know other people hate that crap as much as I do. My life is very exciting, I just do yard work until ten ’til noon every Sunday. The sound of small engine noise kicks the living hell out of that pre-game b.s.

97. ram says: Oct 31, 2010 4:52 PM

the guys on fox are far better than cbs and nbc.
    except for michael strahan he is terrible,doesn’t enunciates his words,doesn’t know what he is talking about half the time.he is very subjective when it comes to his giants.
    they really don’t need him on the show.

98. ikie12pts says: Oct 31, 2010 11:08 PM

CBS blows the rest out of the water. Fox isn’t professional at all and NBC has some ugly bird-looking blond to analyze the games FOR us. I don’t think we need her to tell us what happened. Shannon Sharpe has no business on any broadcast, radio or television until he pays for a speech class.

99. In & Out Burger says: Nov 1, 2010 2:30 AM

They are all bad. I am growing attached to Bob Costas because at least he doesn’t treat me like an idiot compared to every other pre or post game person (including Florio).