Quarterback struggles put Fitzgerald's future into focus

The Cardinals quarterback issues threatens to infect every part of their team this season. ESPN’s Ron Jaworski doesn’t believe Max Hall can get it done, and he thinks the effort level of the Cardinals wide receivers could be affected.

“Receivers begin to lose confidence in the quarterback.
These aren’t things I’m making up.  These are things I look at when I see
the tape,” Jaworski said on 620 KTAR Thursday, saying receivers are becoming disinterested.

Everyone in Arizona is becoming concerned that Larry Fitzgerald will lose faith in the organization and not want to sign a contract extension this offseason.  A headline in the Arizona Republic this week reads: ” Arizona Cardinals must keep wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald happy.” (His deal runs out after the 2011 season.  The Cardinals can’t franchise tag him.)

Fitzgerald has shown some frustration during games, but has said all the right things.

“I’m human.  I want to be successful,” Fitzgerald said this week via the team’s website. “I have a burning desire to
be great, not only as a player but as a team. Sometimes my emotions
flow over but as a captain, I have to keep an even keel. I don’t want
to give bad body language so my teammates don’t think I’m on the same
page as them.”

Fitzgerald is on pace to gain fewer than 900 yards this year, which would be his worst mark by far since his rookie season.  He hasn’t scored in a month.

Fitzgerald’s teammate Steve Breason will return this week, which should help the Cardinals passing attack.  Meanwhile, coach Ken Whisenhunt will continue to try to solve a quarterback conundrum that is jeopardizing this season and possibly more to come if Fitzgerald decides he’s better off elsewhere down the line.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
9 Responses to “Quarterback struggles put Fitzgerald's future into focus”
  1. eastboogieillinois says: Oct 29, 2010 10:40 AM

I know that everyone dislikes McNabb but he would be a perfect fit for this team. When he had T.O. he played like an MVP. He would trust Fitz to come up with those big catches. Why they didn’t make that trade confuses me? I am an Eagles Fan and I wanted him out of the division. I would hate to see a big time receiver come to Washington.

2. habman says: Oct 29, 2010 10:55 AM

There is a reason why New England didn’t sign Moss to a contract extension. That money can be better spent. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Pat’s make a move this offseason. They certainly have the draft picks to offer, and the money they didn’t spend on Moss.

3. oraph says: Oct 29, 2010 12:19 PM

“I know that everyone dislikes McNabb but he would be a perfect fit for this team. When he had T.O. he played like an MVP. He would trust Fitz to come up with those big catches. Why they didn’t make that trade confuses me? ”
    Agreed. Bring Fitzgerald to Washington to unite him with Mcnabb!

4. Hawkfan50 says: Oct 29, 2010 1:46 PM

“Fitzgerald is on pace to gain fewer than 900 yards this year, which would be his worst mark by far since his rookie season. He hasn’t scored in a month. “That must be hard for him,” receiver Stephen Williams said. “The end zone is like a home to him.”
    Aah , let me get out a tissue and dab the tears from my eyes . Poor Larry Fitzgerald ! His team sucks and there’s nothing he can do about it because they don’t have anyone to throw him the football . I’m crushed .
    LMAO … by all means , please leave Arizona next year Larry and run off to the east coast somewhere . Why don’t you follow Dansby to Miami ?

5. funi says: Oct 29, 2010 4:09 PM

Fitz played for Pitt Panthers..Steelers have a franchise QB…. Ward is getting older…..just throwing that out there……

6. Marv_Sleezy says: Oct 29, 2010 4:32 PM

habman: He will be a free agent you dimwit.

7. LarryFitzgerald4MVP says: Oct 29, 2010 6:25 PM

If Fitz were to leave the Cardinals, he would go to Minnesota, and their QB situation isn’t any better.
    Fitz is the most popular player in Arizona by far, and the owners will give him the money he wants for sure.
    It’s a tough season stat wise, but they still have a good shot at the division if Hall can just manage the games. Come the offseason though, i expect them to be in the hunt for one of Philly’s QBs.

8. timbo51 says: Oct 29, 2010 8:21 PM

The Chargers will be in the market for a top receiver in the near future, why move back east when the sun always shines in SO CAL!!!! Besides Rivers will need another target besides Gates.

9. habman says: Oct 29, 2010 8:38 PM