Jeff Fisher thinks "maybe 30 head coaches" will consider Randy Moss

Titans coach Jeff Fisher acknowledges that he’ll give some thought to putting in a waiver claim on Randy Moss, and he says he thinks virtually all of his colleagues around the league will think about it, too.

We’re always interested in upgrading the football team,” Fisher said, per the Tennessean. “I’m sure there will be some discussions here this evening … I would venture to say that every coach — maybe 30 head coaches — are having discussions about him.”

Apparently Fisher thinks the two head coaches who have already had Moss on their teams this year — Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Vikings coach Brad Childress — won’t be having discussions about Moss. Of course, if the two coaches who know Moss best don’t want him, that might be a clue to the 30 other head coaches that they shouldn’t want him, either.

But the Titans might be a team that could use Moss more than most, especially if receiver Kenny Britt misses a significant amount of time with his hamstring injury. And Fisher says Moss would be welcomed in the Titans’ locker room.

“I’ve had every player in the building come to my back door,” Fisher said, “and say, ‘Go get him. Go get him.'”

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans
44 Responses to “Jeff Fisher thinks "maybe 30 head coaches" will consider Randy Moss”
  1. Slim Charles says: Nov 2, 2010 7:40 AM

I’ll give you Belichick, but I don’t think any coach in the NFL will be like “Gee, that Brad Childress is a smart guy, I’d better follow his example!”

2. mraybean says: Nov 2, 2010 7:45 AM

Make that 29 teams. I don’t think Oakland will be considering him either.

3. Munze Konza says: Nov 2, 2010 7:52 AM

Belichick should pick him up and then trade him to a team for draft choices.
    The Patriots, who I don’t like, are extremely well run and loaded in draft choices. They just keep making brilliant move after brilliant move and keep developing players, and always, always remain competitive. I CAN’T STAND IT!

4. TJ says: Nov 2, 2010 7:58 AM

why not

5. Nitro says: Nov 2, 2010 7:58 AM

yeah, will moss consider 30 other teams though? seems like he has a mancrush on Belichick

6. Profundity says: Nov 2, 2010 7:59 AM

Adam Schefter threw Oakland out as a possible return destination.
    Please god no…let Buffalo make a claim please, I do NOT want him screwing up all the young talent we finally have in Oakland. Even Al shouldn’t be that nuts if he let that twerp Lane cause a trade to begin with.

7. FireJerryJones says: Nov 2, 2010 8:00 AM

Belichick is for sure one of the 30.
    Singletary is probably not.
    Chilly… is he a H/C?
    This guy ends up back in New England for the minimum, and Minny pays the $3.3Million left on his contract.
    Moss will be on his best behavior. Who’s going to want to sign him after this year. If none of the 31 teams puts in a claim on him… that’s a clear sign of the market value. Even Moss can’t argue with that.
    All he wanted was a big contract.

8. Steeler Fan in Germantown says: Nov 2, 2010 8:04 AM

He’s a punk! Talented, but a punk.

9. leonbright says: Nov 2, 2010 8:05 AM

Make that 29, tops. No way Tom Coughlin wastes a minute of time thinking about this assclown.

10. Laxer37 says: Nov 2, 2010 8:09 AM

He’s smoking crack. No succesfully run organization will go near the guy right now.
    Look for one of the bottom feeders of the league to take a run at him as a way to sell some tickets.

11. contract says: Nov 2, 2010 8:14 AM

“I’ve had every player in the building come to my back door, and say, ‘Go get him. Go get him.'”
    If players knew how to run a team, there would be no need for coaches and personnel guys. Smart teams will pass on Moss.

12. Steelers+Refs=True Love says: Nov 2, 2010 8:17 AM

Ummm, I think you can rule Oakland out, we already went through that hell.

13. HarrisonHits says: Nov 2, 2010 8:18 AM

MDS how does Chilly working with Moss for 3 weeks qualify him as “knowing Moss best” ?
    Childress is an idiot and is clearly incapable of handling players in any competent fashion.

14. DARTH 0BAMA says: Nov 2, 2010 8:18 AM

“I’ve had every player in the building come to my back door”
    Haha… he said somethin gay!

15. Altschul says: Nov 2, 2010 8:26 AM

I’m sure every team is talking through it just because that’s what coaches do, but there are really probably only a handful of clubs that are giving serious consideration to bringing on Moss.
    I’d be shocked if someone wants him so bad they pick him up on waivers.

16. BigBear123 says: Nov 2, 2010 8:30 AM

Pats are reloading. Dumped Seymour in his last year for a draft pick. Moss wanted a long term deal and Pats didn’t want to offer it. Led to this being his last year I’m NE and Pats got a free draft pick out of it.
    Moss won’t last long enough for BB to pick up off waivers.

17. Bwa Ha Ha says: Nov 2, 2010 8:31 AM

RE:
    # Munze Konza says: November 2, 2010 7:52 AM
    Belichick should pick him up and then trade him to a team for draft choices.
    I gotta ask…………..
    The Patriots have the last waiver option. Who would let him slide to them and then turn around and trade away a draft pick for him?

18. kev86 says: Nov 2, 2010 8:34 AM

NYG has Nicks, Smith & Manningham. Fisher beats us this year and thinks he can make front office moves I guess. Never trust a guy witha mustache.

19. ADX says: Nov 2, 2010 8:35 AM

Fisher doing a little baiting.
    add Indy to the list of not interested in the least.
    There is absolutely zero chance he would go there.

20. JRPatsFan says: Nov 2, 2010 8:37 AM

@ Steeler Fan in Germantown – Tom Jackson is terrible. He always says stuff without anything to back it up. Case and point – The “They hate their coach” comment regarding the Patriots after their opening day loss to the Bills in 2003. Completely unfounded and ridiculous.
    Believe me, find another talking head to listen to besides him.

21. A whole # 1 says: Nov 2, 2010 8:38 AM

No matter how big a tool he is, there will always be somebody who thinks they can strike gold with him.

22. Blackbeard says: Nov 2, 2010 8:40 AM

Jerry Jones always wanted Randy Moss, now he can have him, of course he can’t block either…

23. Ucantzstopuz says: Nov 2, 2010 8:44 AM

I think he should go back to oakland, He wants a ring and it seems like the raiders are defintly the best team in the NFL Now.
    He wont pull any crap cause Cable will punch him out.
    He might be able to push a cheating midget coach around but cable would destroy him.
    DHB is probley better than Moss now but Moss could be the 4th WR spot on the team

24. The Doctor says: Nov 2, 2010 8:52 AM

I believe if Moss got what he deserved, which is a three year deal, he would be on his best behavior and be the model teammate. If the clubs keep treating him like a hired outlaw, then he will keep acting like one.

25. Gautam says: Nov 2, 2010 8:54 AM

one is Childress
    the other is the Bill Polian led Colts

26. Belichick for President says: Nov 2, 2010 8:57 AM

Honestly, I am at the point where as long as he helps my fantasy team, I don’t care if he ends up back in NE or not.

27. mraybean says: Nov 2, 2010 9:01 AM

Al Davis is a fan of Randy Moss so he could end up back at Oakland but I hope not. If what I’m reading is correct, Oakland is 13th on the waiver wire. I think someone will pick him up before then.
    Adam Schefter threw Oakland out as a possible return destination but Adam Schefter is an idiot. Not because he thinks Moss could end up back at Oakland, just because he’s an idiot.

28. slemmebo says: Nov 2, 2010 9:12 AM

This time around he is just gonna behave nicely, because he knows that nobody skews BB or they gonna be traded

29. rexranius says: Nov 2, 2010 9:24 AM

That’s a lot of big dudes coming in Fisher’s back door and telling him to “Go get him”.

30. Meldog says: Nov 2, 2010 9:28 AM

I don’t see the Bills taking him. The Bills have actually been pretty happy with Lee Evans and Stevie Johnson despite their record. Even though he wouldn’t come at the cost of a draft pick, he’s still owed over $6 million which is more than T.O. got for all of last year (and that was pretty outrageous for the Bills).
    As for selling tickets, the Bills only have 3 real home games left (Toronto shouldn’t count). It isn’t worth $6 million and pissing off half the team to sell a few thousand seats.
    The Bills have no realistic hope of making the playoffs, so this means that the Bills should be “rebuilding” minded. Signing Moss for $6 million is not rebuilding minded, although it would be poetic justice if he came to Buffalo and knocked the Patriots out of the playoffs….although I may actually be rooting for NE over the Jets at that point.
    In any case, there are just too many reasons for the Bills to pass on this guy. I think he’s a better fit for the 49ers or chargers.

31. melikefootball says: Nov 2, 2010 9:31 AM

That seems to be a problem..teams kiss this kind of players behind all the time. How did Moss make the Vickings a better team. An attitude of play when I want..what are the players saying at the water fountain today. Would be interesting to hear.

32. kellyb91985 says: Nov 2, 2010 9:32 AM

@slemmebo – As a Pats fan, I don’t want him back in NE. I really hope a 4-4 team picks him up off waivers so its not even a consideration. New England has done just fine without him, they’ve gotten back to throwing short to intermediate passes (occasionally pushing it down the field), sustaining drives, and playing defense. This is the kind of football I love to watch, not those ridiculous 55-7 games.

33. contraryguy says: Nov 2, 2010 9:36 AM

Receiver with attitude… drops are increasing… looks like a good pickup at the time… Randy Moss, here’s your Browns jersey. Give Royal a couple of donuts and you can have #84 too.

34. Your TE's My WR says: Nov 2, 2010 9:36 AM

Guys…..
    Moss will get picked up by SD.
    They are short a few WRs and need some tickets sold.
    Plus they are earlier on the wire than Oak, KC, Wash, and Sea.

35. Filbertkiwi71 says: Nov 2, 2010 9:46 AM

I wouldn’t be shocked if the Jets picked him up just to make sure that the Patriots don’t.
    I still don’t think the Patriots bring him back, regardless.
    If for some reason he does end up back with the Patriots, I am sure some conspiracy theories are going to start flying around.

36. Filbertkiwi71 says: Nov 2, 2010 9:49 AM

slemmebo said:”
    Randy Moss is going to land i NE. No doubt. He said where he want to go and there is where he is going..”
    ====
    You do realize that there is a waiver process, and Moss doesn’t have an option of where he is going to play, and that the Patriots are at the bottom of the waiver list, right?

37. The Fighting Wombat says: Nov 2, 2010 9:54 AM

I see Moss getting picked up by the owner/operator of Jerrah’s Palatial Pimp Palace…bet he “sees something” in him that will lead the Cowboys to the “promised land” and playing in the Super Bowl in the House that Jerrah built…
    You know Jerrah…he’s got an eye for “talent”

38. lurch's nyquil says: Nov 2, 2010 10:10 AM

adam schefter throws anything at the wall, explain to me how he got his job and a better question is how does he keep it, he is worse than the weatherman or weatherwoman

39. Filbertkiwi71 says: Nov 2, 2010 10:37 AM

Your TE’s My WR sid:”
    Guys…..
    Moss will get picked up by SD.
    They are short a few WRs and need some tickets sold.
    Plus they are earlier on the wire than Oak, KC, Wash, and Sea.”
    ======
    No chance in hell he ends up in SD. The Chargers have a couple of very good rookie wide receivers that are now getting playing time. They also have Gates playing well through injury at tight end.

40. petro says: Nov 2, 2010 10:45 AM

Why would Oakland claim him? They have a nice thing going out there and I believe they’re playing well because they’re developing some good chemistry. They’ve dropped 59 on the Broncos and 33 on Seattle and why would you want Moss taking targets away from heyward-Bey who is actually showing life? Okaland is a bad place too.

41. davew says: Nov 2, 2010 10:46 AM

Carolina wont sign him. That would mean cheapass Jerry Richardson would actually have to spend money. Thanks for the great season Jerry…oh and thanks for making my psl’s worthless.

42. tombrookshire says: Nov 2, 2010 10:56 AM

No, it only takes one douche bag owner like Jerry Jones, Ralph Wilson or the Browns in Cincy. But, no, there is going to be no bidding war POS. The idea of Moss who became someone because he has money, berating a working man, hopefully makes him a periah to the entire NFL.

43. Codebeard says: Nov 2, 2010 2:48 PM

mraybean says:
    November 2, 2010 7:45 AM
    Make that 29 teams. I don’t think Oakland will be considering him either.
    ===
    Moss is still pretty fast. Al Davis would pick him up in a hurry

44. DaBeast says: Nov 2, 2010 4:37 PM

@ SteelerfaninGermantown says:
    “I think those 30 head coaches should listen to Tom Jackson. He’s a pretty knowledgeable dude when it comes to football. If he were a head coach, he wouldn’t touch Moss with a 10 foot pole. Anyone who takes Moss is asking for trouble and deserves all the trouble and unrest Randy would bring to the team.
    He’s a punk! Talented, but a punk.”
    I too heard Tom Jackson railing about Moss saying he chooses what downs he plays on. But so did T Jackson when he played. You think TJ went full speed every play? Fat chance. No full time player does. They pick their spots to rest. Moss was just being criticised for being honest about it.
    Keyshawn Johnson, Chris Carter and Mike Ditka completely disagreed with J Jackson too.
    But do you understand Moss’ reasoning for that statement. As a former football player, I do. Look at it this way. Moss is still today a world class sprinter who is (according to Patriot coaches) capable of running the equal to a 9.3 second 100 meter dash on a “Go Route”. Now imagine Asain Bolt running at that speed and having to run 2 more plays with only 30 seconds of rest between each! Do you get the fatigue picture now? Do you understand now why Moss takes some plays off? He would be DEAD if he didn’t! He’s usually completely gassed out (not loafing) after running those deep decoy routes. And his coaches won’t take him out to rest because they need his threat on the field on every down. It’s interesting that you only hear about Moss “Loafing” from Fatsos who only run to the frig. Or the clueless who have never run 40-90 yards at full sprint speed before. And when you superimpose the knid of sheer speed Randy Moss has on that fact, you have a guy who is dirt TIRED every other play. For goodness sake many of you armchair critics, give the guy a break Will you! Fisher is dead right! Every single coach want him BECAUSE he is capable of doing that while making the most spectacular of catches! There has never been a Receiver in the NFL quite like Moss. He’s a Hall of Fame athletic freak of nature.