Jermichael Finley has emergency surgery due to infection

Usually, we hear that surgical procedures performed on pro athletes were at all times a success.  When there’s a complication, a public announcement rarely comes.

That’s precisely what happened with Packers tight end Jermichael Finley, who underwent leg surgery after being injured on October 17 against the Redskins.

I had a second surgery,” Finley told Jason Wilde of ESPN Milwaukee.  “Nobody knows about it.  I had caught a real small infection in my knee,
so I had to go in about a week ago, had to go back under and get the
infection out.  I was in the hospital for two days.  I’m surprised nobody
knew about it.  I had to get all these antibiotics in me, get blood drawn
four or five times a day.  It’s terrible.  Right now, I’ve got this IV in
my chest, a central line.”

A central line?  It doesn’t sound like a “real small” infection at all.

“[I]t was emergency surgery,” Finley said.  “I had a 105 fever, I called
Doc [team physician Pat McKenzie] and said, ‘I’m not feeling too good,’
and we had to rush in and clean out the infection.  I don’t know what
it’s called.  I guess you could call it a staph infection, but I don’t
think that’s what it was.  But I had to rush in and they put a central
line in my chest.  I won’t get this taken out for another month and a
half.  Three times a day I have to get antibiotics put through it.”

Again, it doesn’t sound like a “real small” infection at all.

We wish Finley well in his recovery.  And we hate to see what condition he’d be in right now if it had been a “real big” infection.

Permalink 75 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
75 Responses to “Jermichael Finley has emergency surgery due to infection”
  1. Sporting_One says: Nov 2, 2010 11:05 PM

Get well soon J-Mike!!!

2. TomBrady'sHairStylist says: Nov 2, 2010 11:08 PM

kellen winslow is relived that anoth te could possibly have a staff infection

3. rjgreen3 says: Nov 2, 2010 11:09 PM

I am not a Packers fan but I support all of the guys who compete and put their bodies/health on the line.
    Get Well Soon!

4. lamename says: Nov 2, 2010 11:18 PM

MRSA (semi-wild guess diagnosis) can be a bitch. Hope he gets better soon.

5. I hate Ted Thompson says: Nov 2, 2010 11:18 PM

Holy crap.
    Finley is a stud TE, and you hate to see stuff like this happen.
    Hopefully he gets well, and comes back better than ever next year !

6. nyj-gate D says: Nov 2, 2010 11:27 PM

damn son, finley’s lucky to be alive after staph sepsis

7. tylerzappa says: Nov 2, 2010 11:28 PM

sounds like something went wrong in the first surgery

8. Eaglesfan290 says: Nov 2, 2010 11:36 PM

That doesnt sound like a small infection at all, I wish him the best good thing they caught it!

9. amivy says: Nov 2, 2010 11:39 PM

Almost always, these things are staph infections. Just like when a couple of years ago when Kellen Winslow got one, and he was asked to cover it up by the team.

10. AFCroxNFCsox says: Nov 2, 2010 11:40 PM

TGIFinley. YOTTO.
    Get well and raise some hell on the field next year!

11. Maximus15 says: Nov 2, 2010 11:40 PM

Wow, that sounds terrifying. Best of luck and a speedy recovery.

12. Falcoholic says: Nov 2, 2010 11:52 PM

Sounds like he had Bacteremia-where the infection (likely MRSA in this case) is seeded into the blood stream from a localized source. The reason for the central line permanent catheter is that the antibiotic used to treat MRSA, Vancomycin, is hard on veins and typically causes peripheral IV sites to blow. It’s an unfortunate complication and relatively serious but not that uncommon.

13. Satanic Hell Creature says: Nov 2, 2010 11:53 PM

Definitely not a small infection. Hopefully they caught it early enough and there’s no permanent or future damage. I hate the Packers, but I hope Finley gets well and gets back to 100%.

14. CHIEF ZEE says: Nov 2, 2010 11:58 PM

You would expect this from the browns or eagles, but the packers?

15. PackFanNChiTown says: Nov 3, 2010 12:01 AM

Rest well warrior, you’ve earned it.

16. Vikes-N-Favre says: Nov 3, 2010 12:04 AM

For instance, when Favre got hit against NE and had to leave the game, many speculated that he broke his jaw. The guys at work were saying that they have been waiting a long time to see Favre get carted off the field, and that they hope he broke his jaw.
    So if that is not classless, I don’t know what it. Not to mention all the shit I saw when I attend football games between the Vikings and Packers.
    Long story short, I don’t wish injury on any player, and I especially won’t bash a player of any team while they have a potential life risking problem such as this one with Finley.
    So with that being said, I hope Finley has a quick and full recovery, and I hope he gets better real soon. To all Viking fans on here, don’t lower yourselves to the standards of the classless Packer fans like the people I work with. This is a potential matter of life and death, and it doesn’t matter who the guy is, or what team he plays for, he still has a family at home to support.
    I really hope that all the morons that I work with see this, and realize that all they sound like when they say that they hope that Viking players are seriously injured, and never play again are a bunch of inbred hillbillies from a pathetic state.

17. GregJenningsFanClub says: Nov 3, 2010 12:04 AM

Get well soon. Much love J-Mike!!!

18. TacoBill says: Nov 3, 2010 12:05 AM

Did Finley have surgery at the Browns complex?

19. HuckNZ says: Nov 3, 2010 12:08 AM

“I guess you could call it a staph infection, but I don’t think that’s what it was.”
    Gee, thanks, Jermichael. Really helpful.
    “I guess you could call it a hippopotamus too, but I don’t think that’s what it was either.”

20. BrentFavre says: Nov 3, 2010 12:10 AM

Did Finley get traded to the browns?

21. Mike Whorio says: Nov 3, 2010 12:13 AM

If this is what it sounds like, it could put his 2011 season in jeopardy.

22. jm4385 says: Nov 3, 2010 12:14 AM

Thats terrible. I hope he makes a full recovery. Finley is a good TE. Such talent wasted on such a overrated team. Why cant something like that happen to someone who deserves it….like…Brett Favre.

23. Doug74 says: Nov 3, 2010 12:15 AM

My sister got operated on by that quack McKenzie… he had to reopen her up, too. She still has problems with her knee.

24. Burritto says: Nov 3, 2010 12:16 AM

Remember Jamie Sharper? A “real small” infection like this ended his career and put his life in jeapordy. This could be serious and I hope the best for Jermichael Finley.

25. dezertdweller says: Nov 3, 2010 12:19 AM

t’what exactly does [I]t pontificate of any relevance… really…. GMAFB
    “[I]t was emergency surgery,” Finley said. “

26. Bob Sacamono says: Nov 3, 2010 12:26 AM

When did Finley get traded to Cleveland??

27. ghemen says: Nov 3, 2010 12:28 AM

From a physician point of view an infection that had to have him have a subclavian central line put in for Antibiotic purposes does not sound like a small infection….scared he might get septic..mhhh

28. CanadianVikingFanII says: Nov 3, 2010 12:32 AM

Good to hear he is alright.

29. ladybucs&steelersnut says: Nov 3, 2010 12:33 AM

As a health care professional, I would bet that Jermichael Finley saved his own life by calling his “Doc”. He likely had acquired MRSA post-op after the first surgery. It starts small, seeming like no big deal, then by the time the wound starts looking bad it’s already spreading throughout the body. The fact that his temp. was 105 tells that had already had happened to him.
    Again, thank God he called and got treatment started. MRSA infections are so serious and difficult to treat that they have to put in a central line so that they can administer the “biggest guns” antibiotics available, in combination & over an extended period of time to knock out the infection. He has an extended recovery period ahead of him, and I wish him nothing but the best in working toward recovery and hopefully next year a return to the NFL in full health.
    Jermichael was a shining light earlier in the year for the Packers as a rookie; after he recovers, that will happen for him again. God’s speed, Jermichael!

30. cobrala2 says: Nov 3, 2010 12:34 AM

Infections are obviously life-threatening fundamentally so you’re right it’s not ‘real small’.
    Moreover infections in knee reconstruction SIGNIFCANTLY complicates recovery. Just ask Mr. Bundchen.

31. Money Mike says: Nov 3, 2010 12:36 AM

Wow, this is not good.

32. Greeny78 says: Nov 3, 2010 12:38 AM

Sounds like staph to me!! Did yall read the ESPN article??

33. auntflo says: Nov 3, 2010 12:38 AM

I am a nurse and you are right, if he had that high of a fever and had to have a central line placed it is no small infection. This could have been life threatning.

34. Mile High Chilo says: Nov 3, 2010 1:01 AM

scary stuff, get better.

35. hrmlss says: Nov 3, 2010 1:09 AM

As a pharmacist it sound like it is being treated like it should be. Unlike letting an old grandpa play with a broken ankle, bad elbow and a strained taint……

36. shabadoooo says: Nov 3, 2010 1:12 AM

Jesus. Get better Mr. Finley.

37. KrazyTrumpeter05 says: Nov 3, 2010 1:12 AM

Ouch…that does NOT sound like any sort of fun. Hope that clears up for him just fine and it’s a good thing they got it early.

38. shabadoooo says: Nov 3, 2010 1:14 AM

Jesus. Get better Mr. Finley.

39. cmr says: Nov 3, 2010 1:19 AM

fine him

40. packerbacker51 says: Nov 3, 2010 1:46 AM

Take it easy Jermichael so you can get strong again. Listen to your body and the doctors. This Packer team misses you and so do the fans. See you next year when you are stronger than ever at the TE position. Thoughts and prayers are going out to you and your family. PackerBacker51

41. Jeff Harper says: Nov 3, 2010 1:56 AM

Get well soon Jermichael!

42. toddzman says: Nov 3, 2010 2:04 AM

If the catheter is to stay in as long as he states…….it sounds like a port for central venous access. Similar to those use for many staged injections like say, chemotherapy injections. Florio, you are correct though, for him to have central venous access, this infection was not a localized infection. I wish Jermichael the best…….but he needs to really make sure he rides this out and is adamant that the infection has been taken care of completely.

43. misterj says: Nov 3, 2010 2:10 AM

Wait, when did he get traded to Cleveland?

44. HolyMoly says: Nov 3, 2010 2:22 AM

Best of luck Jermichael, get well soon!

45. Mr$teve says: Nov 3, 2010 2:36 AM

Horrible,
    Get better soon!

46. Pacrain53 says: Nov 3, 2010 3:11 AM

Sounds like Finley more than just a staph infection. I bet it was MSRA, which the nastiest staph infection you can get. I had, had to have surgery also. Hope you get well soon.

47. VikingsPimp says: Nov 3, 2010 3:17 AM

He’s an excellent Tight End and I wish him the best. Finley is an absolute terror for defenses and I as a Vikings fan hate to hear about this serious complication. As a Medic in the army, I have infections like this many time and they’re no fun.

48. jorge says: Nov 3, 2010 3:46 AM

Woah, Godspeed Finley…

49. cunn9305 says: Nov 3, 2010 4:02 AM

Blood borne sepsis is not “real small” it is often fatal … dude is lucky he didn’t lose his leg … or his life …

50. alr1047 says: Nov 3, 2010 4:09 AM

Was the surgery done in Cleveland?

51. jayhawk67 says: Nov 3, 2010 4:50 AM

Unfortunately, staph infections are not uncommon in conjunction with hospitalization. It sounds like he is mainlining antibiotics, so, yeah, it hardly seems to be anything other than a major problem.
    Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery,

52. mattgso says: Nov 3, 2010 5:44 AM

“It’s just a flesh wound.”

53. brasho says: Nov 3, 2010 5:46 AM

It’s Staph alright, more precisely, MRSA.
    Where did he get his surgery, Cleveland?

54. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Nov 3, 2010 5:50 AM

Get well soon, Jermichael.

55. OscarMooseFarmer says: Nov 3, 2010 6:51 AM

He sounds like the black knight from that old monty python movie..

56. Sterling says: Nov 3, 2010 6:57 AM

Probably MRSA. You can only treat that with intravenous antibiotics.

57. cbatchel says: Nov 3, 2010 7:08 AM

Who cares, I already dropped you from my fantasy team.

58. ejtowne says: Nov 3, 2010 7:11 AM

A central line is typicaly used to run a long term course of antibiotics for use at home by a patient. I’m surprised not to hear attorney chatter over this, since most likely the infection was brought on by a poor surgery.

59. The Real Shuxion says: Nov 3, 2010 7:23 AM

Jermichael Finley, who underwent leg surgery
    ——————————————————
    I had 3rd leg surgery recently for the same reason. Damn woman told she was clean. Liar.

60. fortysixand2 says: Nov 3, 2010 7:28 AM

Shouldn’t have had the surgery in Cleveland.

61. FlipDaScript says: Nov 3, 2010 7:37 AM

Wow- sounds like staph infection to me. Untreated it can get ugly. ESPN the magazine ran a big feature on MRSA last month.
    Speedy recovery TGIF.

62. BringinTheWood!Son says: Nov 3, 2010 7:59 AM

DAMN…this sounds pretty ugly. Hope there are no more hang ups for J Mike from here on out. Get well… and he’ll be back to beastin in no time.

63. NYGBALLn says: Nov 3, 2010 8:24 AM

sounds like it was mrsa. That can kill you pretty quick, luckily it sounds like they caught it just in time. Good luck

64. Jack Burton says: Nov 3, 2010 8:26 AM

Kellen Winslow can tell you how this will play out, sux for Packers fans.

65. crubenst says: Nov 3, 2010 8:45 AM

If he had a temp of 105, had a second surgery, and needed IV antiobiotics it most likely means his joint was infected and it wasn’t simply a skin infection. That’s a potential complication of ANY knee surgery, not just ones done in Cleveland. The good news is it sounds like they caught it quick and if he only had a meniscus surgery he probably doesn’t have any foreign bodies (i.e. screws/plates ) which would make it harder to clear the infection. MRSA or regular Staph can both cause it, you just need different antibiotics for MRSA.

66. Rodgers4President says: Nov 3, 2010 8:50 AM

Sterling says:
    November 3, 2010 6:57 AM
    Probably MRSA. You can only treat that with intravenous antibiotics.
    ———————————————————
    False. I had a MRSA infection in my hip two years ago. Treated it with oral antibiotics.

67. sand0 says: Nov 3, 2010 9:11 AM

I hope he appreciates how close to death he probably came. If he had waited one more night to call Doc he might have been a goner.

68. Gregjennings85 says: Nov 3, 2010 9:20 AM

He’ll be back soon enough, much to the dismay of the DBs and LBs in the NFL.

69. Jeff Harper says: Nov 3, 2010 9:27 AM

Mattsgo that was a good one.
    “Tis but a scratch.”

70. ClaysWife says: Nov 3, 2010 10:30 AM

Get well soon Jermichael…. Cant wait for you to be back on the field

71. songbre says: Nov 3, 2010 10:34 AM

Nothing to play with … praying you have a safe, speedy recovery !!!

72. cardiackids says: Nov 3, 2010 12:24 PM

Speedy recovery J Mike, glad infection was caught in time.

73. bone12 says: Nov 3, 2010 1:10 PM

To all the comedians making Cleveland cracks…when 20 other posts say the same thing as yours it means you are not original or funny. Please try harder.

74. packers4life says: Nov 3, 2010 1:40 PM

“Ok, so I live in Green Bay Wisconsin and am a huge Viking fan. Every single time I go into work on Monday’s the guys at work talk so much shit about the Vikings and especially Favre.
    No I am not from Wisconsin, just so you know. I unfortunately had to move here because of age, and had no choice. While I don’t mind living in Wisconsin now, I by no means like living amongst the most ignorant fan base in the NFL. GB fans get praised by NFL announcers, but those announcers to see or hear what really goes on here in Green Bay. This fan base is a classless as there is in the NFL, and that is the truth.”
    Typical Viking hyprocrite.

75. steinsmom says: Nov 3, 2010 3:53 PM

So true — Vikes-n-Favre is a hypocrite.
    J Mike, get well soon!