Colt McCoy in line to make another start

C. McCoy.jpgExpected to be a gameday inactive his entire rookie season, Browns rookie quarterback Colt McCoy is instead getting a true NFL baptism by fire.

He’s already faced the Steelers and Saints, and it looks like he’ll make his third straight start against the Patriots on Sunday.  Browns coach Eric Mangini said that Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace would both sit out practice Wednesday, which makes McCoy the clear favorite to start against New England.

Wallace made some strong statements about the Browns settling on a quarterback last week, and also expected to practice Wednesday.  His high ankle sprain apparently hasn’t fully recovered.

Wallace may not like it, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see the Browns settle on McCoy as their guy.

Team President Mike Holmgren indicated Tuesday that the time will come “soon” to truly evaluate McCoy to see if he can be their guy in the future.

It McCoy can help beat the Patriots, he should at least be the guy of the present.  (We can hear the Bernie Kosar comparisons coming.)

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Colt McCoy in line to make another start”
  1. birdmancometh says: Nov 3, 2010 11:22 AM

Kosar was the man.

2. Citizen Strange says: Nov 3, 2010 11:29 AM

He’s already faced the Steelers and Saints, and it looks like he’ll make his third straight start against the Patriots on Wednesday.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Reminds me of the old joke … “Every morning at 6:00 AM sharp I start my day with a big healthy bowel movement …. of course I don’t get out of bed until 7:30!”

3. PatricktheDookie says: Nov 3, 2010 11:31 AM

Good for Colt McCoy.

4. sammm says: Nov 3, 2010 11:34 AM

Good call Eric…it’s amazing how much closer a game can be when your QB doesn’t throw a bunch of interceptions.

5. Jack Burton says: Nov 3, 2010 11:34 AM

I’d settle for him over those other 2 clowns, garbage time or not he looked good against the Steelers.

6. Ingloriousbasterd says: Nov 3, 2010 11:34 AM

As a Pats fan heading to the Cleve this weekend…I really hope Colt starts…Brownie eatin’ time!

7. TheNaturalMevs says: Nov 3, 2010 11:36 AM

I told you this on Sunday. They’re going to stick with him the rest of the way if he looks decent. As it stands right now, it’s Colts job to lose.

8. TheCityThatReeds says: Nov 3, 2010 12:11 PM

This could work out in the end for the Brown stains. I still can’t believe they were banking on Delhomme this year (even healthy). Let him learn and keep his confidence up at least until he comes to Baltimore and Ed Reeds has 3 Pick 6′s on him.

9. BrownsFan says: Nov 3, 2010 12:13 PM

I doubt Colt will lose the game for the Browns because he’s managed games well so far. Unfortunately unless they can play a perfect game along with some more trickery they just don’t have the talent to match the Patriots. I personally hope they keep playing him so they can better assess their Draft needs next year.

10. Phil Wright says: Nov 3, 2010 12:19 PM

Probably has as much chance of being the “new” Kosar as he does of bring the “new” Frye, Couch, Holcomb, Anderson or Quinn.

11. RayRay says: Nov 3, 2010 12:21 PM

Good call. Keep it simple. And please by all means protect the kid!!! Starting to feel that with Colt every game is winnable. Good sign. Haven’t had that spirit here since 1969, Sipe and the Glory days of Kosar. Damn it! Browns turn again. It about time. Been waiting for ever.

12. Duan says: Nov 3, 2010 12:25 PM

He’s the healthiest and they need to establish some consistency at the position, seriously!
    That has been the Browns biggest problem – there was always some issues with the quarterbacks and it usually fluctuated between accuracy, throwing power, turnovers and staying healthy.
    This kid has the accuracy, decent enough throwing power and he is not too prone to making bad decisions, which in turn leads to turnovers.
    I say ride Colt all the way, so the team can establish some consistency at the key position.

13. steelersmichele says: Nov 3, 2010 12:28 PM

Good for him. He played well against my team and looks like he can only improve and play better.
    Maybe this is exactly what the Browns need to get things jump-started.

14. burntorangehorn says: Nov 3, 2010 12:37 PM

I’m a big Colt fan, but I really didn’t want him to have to play in anything but possibly garbage time this season. However, if he can keep from getting injured and the Browns can protect him from becoming the next shell-shock victim (Carr, Harrington, etc.) quarterback, he’ll come out of this for the better.
    There are certain things a good coach can mask in a rookie QB, like inexperience at making reads and going through progressions at the NFL level in a brand-new offense. Those were two of the biggest reasons I thought Colt needed to sit for at least a full season, but the coaches did kind of okay at masking them a little and keeping the blinders on, as was done with other successful rookie QBs (Roethlisberger, for example). What coaches really can’t mask in a rookie QB is a lack of playbook studiousness or leadership in the huddle. Colt commands both great studiousness and respect with his leadership, which helps.

15. uncle fester says: Nov 3, 2010 1:16 PM

I’d take McCoy over the other two QBs they’ve got any day.

16. Ray_The_Stabber says: Nov 3, 2010 1:17 PM

QUOTE TheCityThatReeds says: November 3, 2010 12:11 PM
    Exactly how many times has a player had 3 pick 6′s in the same game? You Baltiwhore trash are amazing, there is a lot of murders’ on your team, you should focus on that.

17. ArtModellsPimp says: Nov 3, 2010 1:22 PM

It’s been a very long time since the browns have had a real leader at the QB position. From what I have seen of McCoy this year, and based on what I saw of him here in Texas, this kid has the stuff to be a great one for the Browns.
    Joe Thomas…keep him healthy. Mo…run the damned routes you get paid to run. Peyton…keep putting the hurt on those brave, but stupid, linebackers that think they can hold the gap. And Daboll…keep your head in the damned game!
    And Colt…go get ‘em. Cleveland needs a winner…

18. Duan says: Nov 3, 2010 1:29 PM

@ burntorangehorn -
    but at the same token, look at Sam Bradford – who was a spread offense quarterback?
    I am not going to lie, I swore up and down he was going to be shot to pieces the second after the first snap. and he has been a pleasent surprise for the Rams and I’m glad for them coming from a Browns fan perspectivem because I understand their pains, especially since they are not too too far removed from winning a super bowl and making a trip to another one.
    With all that said, it leads to my point here – I think with a rookie quarterback, you have to look at how they embrace the challanges. With Colt you can tell he wanted this, he has a chip on his shoulder and he wants to do well for this organization and last but not least – he is embracing the challenge and embracing it well!

19. NE#12 says: Nov 3, 2010 1:43 PM

reed won’t be returning any pick sixes since landry got DESTROYED by hillis last game.. he won’t be blocking downfield for reed… and thus won’t make the endzone. i’ll be curious to see how landry goes for a tackle next game… guessing he’ll go for the ankle shot lol.

20. Muck Fodell says: Nov 3, 2010 7:05 PM

@ingloriousbast e rd (sp?)
    Hey chowd, don’t get too excited about coming to Cleveland. This is just the kind of game that can bite a potential playoff team in the ass.
    Mentor faces pupil and is expected to win. But it may not work out that way. The Brownies will pull out all the stops to win. A fearless team with nothing to lose is a dangerous one, my friend.
    Be prepared for a long day at the lakefront. And a VERY loud one as well.
    Hail Mangenius…

21. Audient says: Nov 4, 2010 8:28 AM

McCoy hasn’t had the big game — in the sense that he has not won a game yet with his arm. But in his two starts he’s managed both games well, and that made both of those games winnable. I think McCoy gives the Browns the best shot at winning this Sunday, even though the Pats are obviously and rightly favored to win.
    Pats fans take note — except for that occasional wildcat play, this Browns offense is going to look awfully familiar to you.