Jerry Jones apologizes again, knows it doesn't mean anything

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wants fans to know he’s sorry — or, as he said on Sunday night, “very, very, very sorry” — for the pathetic season his team is having.

And he also wants fans to know that he knows that apologies don’t mean much.

“You should, and every fan should, be expecting a lot more than I’ve delivered,” Jones said in reiterating his apology to fans on KRLD-FM, per the Dallas Morning News. “Not that that means anything either. The apology, I just want everyone to be aware that I know that this team has let our fans down. If anything, it would be some type of verbal expression that I’m well aware of it. I care more than you could ever imagine that we’ve had this kind of season and feel bad about it and I will, I really have a feeling that I can say this, but I will do everything that we can do to change it.”

Jones said he “absolutely” gets angry with the coaches and the play calling while he’s watching games, although he also said he thinks the team has been victimized by a lot of bad luck.

“Everything seems like it’s going against you,” Jones said. “It would be very easy for me say that we’re snake bitten.”

Using the term “snake bitten” might make it sound like Jones is making excuses, but for the most part Jones seems to realize that his team stinks and everyone in the organization should be held accountable, and that includes himself.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
43 Responses to “Jerry Jones apologizes again, knows it doesn't mean anything”
  1. Xpensive Wino says: Nov 3, 2010 9:34 AM

The only difference between him and Matt Millen is that he signs his own paycheck.
    Unless he fires himself as GM and hires someone whose credentials go beyond the fact that he’s rich, his apologies are as worthless and insignificant as his team.

2. mad555 says: Nov 3, 2010 9:35 AM

Sort of like this video spoof of BP oil spill CEO saying sorry 50 times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlcNh8jNc7s&feature=related

3. melikefootball says: Nov 3, 2010 9:36 AM

Gee Jerry you bring tears to my eyes with all that bad luck, snake bitten talk.

4. Skins1970 says: Nov 3, 2010 9:39 AM

Jerry Jones should hire Vinny Cerrato to be the Cowboys GM LOL!

5. Cornerdenizen says: Nov 3, 2010 9:43 AM

Jerry Jones apology should go as follows:
    “Im sorry for thinking that its all about me. I’m sorry for running Jimmy Johnson out of town. If it weren’t for him, we wouldn’t have won anything here. I know we won another super bowl under Barry Switzer, but it was still Jimmy Johnson’s team. Im sorry for thinking that my success in oil and other pusuits would translate into success on the field. Im not a football expert. Jimmy Johnson is.”

6. ThePragmatist says: Nov 3, 2010 9:51 AM

@Cornerdenizen:
    Bingo!

7. yardbarker says: Nov 3, 2010 9:52 AM

Jerry will change only after empty seats and beer sales drop off.

8. LiveNBreatheFootball says: Nov 3, 2010 9:54 AM

Knowing there should be accountability and actually holding anyone accountable are two different things. Jerry talks big, but will never do anything to jeopardize his position at the center of the Cowboys’ universe.

9. MightyMightyLAFootball says: Nov 3, 2010 9:59 AM

Not too many things in the world are more satisfying than watching a multi-millionaire (billionaire?) grovel in front of Joe Six-Pack.
    Sorry is one thing, making amends is another. Gonna hire a GM now, Jehrah?

10. donnyp says: Nov 3, 2010 10:03 AM

At least he’s willing to admit things are terrible and issue fake apologies. Try being a Bills fan where the only thing that matters is where the income is from. Franchise was crap for a couple years under Jauron and he got an extension because he was cheap. Jerry at least cares about winning…though they are doing about as much of it as we are lol.

11. alewatcher says: Nov 3, 2010 10:10 AM

The fish rots from the head down. Until JJ hires a real GM, and lets him run the team, the Cowgurlz will continue to play like, well, Jerry’s Kids.

12. Citizen Strange says: Nov 3, 2010 10:14 AM

Remember last year when his football catheral opened and he charged fans like 50 bucks just so they could STAND and watch the game on a TV SCREEN that was like a thousand yards away?

13. dakotah says: Nov 3, 2010 10:17 AM

Jerry, you’re right, it doesn’t mean anything unless some significant changes are made. I’d suggest hiring a real GM and a coach who isn’t a sock puppet. Having a real training camp instead of a traveling circus might help too.
    Oh, and finally, fire Wade Phillips. Now. You are correct, it won’t make much difference this season, but it might begin to change the tone in the locker room.

14. Dawkphan says: Nov 3, 2010 10:19 AM

Where the hell is VOX ???????? Chapnasty, boys troll, Anybody there ????

15. ForrestGump says: Nov 3, 2010 10:21 AM

Guess you shouldn’t have crowned your sorry ass team the pre-season Super Bowl Champs then huh, Skippy?

16. ham1 says: Nov 3, 2010 10:26 AM

Joke. Thats what the pukes are. Always crying. Win or lose he gets his mouth and face into the media.
    Snake bitten. If you dont handle snakes, you dont get bit. Skelator should keep his distance from daily football operations and try being just an owner. “I am sorry” is BS. Changing behavior is what ol skelly needs.

17. The Fighting Wombat says: Nov 3, 2010 10:28 AM

Im sorry for thinking that its all about me. I’m sorry for running Jimmy Johnson out of town. If it weren’t for him, we wouldn’t have won anything here. I know we won another super bowl under Barry Switzer, but it was still Jimmy Johnson’s team. Im sorry for thinking that my success in oil and other pursuits would translate into success on the field. I’m not a football expert. Jimmy Johnson is.”
    He also needs to apologize for the way he treated Tom Landry…treating a football icon like trash.
    I’ve said it time and time again – JJ needs to get a GM that knows football to run the franchise – not him or his son know Jack Shyte about football.

18. Lothius says: Nov 3, 2010 10:33 AM

Jerry is like an uncle who is alway trying to get you to invest in his latest venture. He wants to build you up and tell you he’s got the plan and then when it falls apart he’ll tell you how bad he feels for the losses. The only problem is that a few months later he’s back trying to get you to invest in his next scheme. Jerry fired the previous management for not going to the Super Bowl for so long. But now Jerry has gone 15 seasons without a Super Bowl appearance, longest span in franchise history. If he held himself to the same standard he does others in his organization he would fire himself as GM and his sons and hire a real football GM and coaching staff. But Jerry is delusional and such an egotist that he will most like allow this team and its fan to flounder until he dies of old age. Hes a very very bad Owner and GM.

19. richc111 says: Nov 3, 2010 10:38 AM

We can all only hope that the new stadium is cursed. Wouldn’t that be great!!!!!!!!! Maybe they can rename the Stadium… Snake Bit Stadium!!!! Has a nice ring to it. This season couldn’t happen to a better team. I haven’t enjoyed watching Cowgirl games more than this season. Oh by the way, is ESPN required to show Jerry Jones in his box every game. They show him about 2-3 times every quarter. He gets more air time then all the other owners combined.

20. Catamount says: Nov 3, 2010 10:39 AM

Did you hear the one about the self-proclaimed god who built this extravogant temple to honor himself and it collapsed in ruin, falling victim to the blindness his insecurity and vanity created? Snake bitten, star crossed–whatever. Point the finger where it belongs you dweeb of a human.

21. HooskerDo says: Nov 3, 2010 10:45 AM

Someone poisoned the water hole! There’s a snake in my boots! I love G.M. Woody!

22. Billsee11 says: Nov 3, 2010 10:45 AM

Jerry
    If you are so sorry, would you consider refunding my money for the season tickets I bought, and haven’t seen a home win yet?
    If your answer is yes, I will supply name and address.

23. fortysixand2 says: Nov 3, 2010 10:47 AM

Jerry Jones is like Ike Turner, the Cowboys fans are like Tina.
    “Ike’s sorry, baby. I won’t hit you again, I promise.”
    If the Cowboys are America’s Team, then I don’t think this is an America in which I want to live.

24. Mike_in_Texas says: Nov 3, 2010 10:56 AM

If he is really sorry, he needs to reduce the ticket prices and the food inside his stadium. No way anyone will continue to attend a game with that awful performance.
    BLACK OUT GAME – Coming Soon

25. Steeler Fan in Germantown says: Nov 3, 2010 11:01 AM

@The Fighting Wombat
    You are so right about Tom Landry. Jerry the dirtbag treated Tom like trash. I’ve never been a Dallas fan, but I really felt badly for Landry. That man gave his heart and soul to that team and the city and, were he still alive. would have forgotten more football skills than Skeleton face will ever hope to know……but he thinks he knows it all.
    I think Tom went to his grave feeling terrible about how he was treated. I hope it keeps Skeleton face awake at night thinking how low-rent and disgusting his actions were.
    Until Skeleton face learns to stay in the front office and let people who are much more knowledgeable about the game than he is run the team, the Dallas fans will continue to get screwed. He’s a pious, spoiled, attention grabbing, incompetent (when it comes to football), jagoff.
    Yeah, he’s sorry…….sorry that he won’t have his face in the camera every 5 minutes when the Super Bowl is played this year. If he wants to do what it takes to make his team a winner again, he needs to sit down and shut up and let qualified people do their jobs.
    By the way, I’m submitting my name for President of the Jerry Jones Fan Club…..can you tell?

26. Maddog says: Nov 3, 2010 11:12 AM

As previous posters have noted, there is no accountability on this team. The players have quit, they’re now mailing it in. Jones obviously will not fire himself, or his dimwitted son, but he should have fired Phillips Sunday night. At least let the players know that there are some repurcussions to the disgraceful way they played against the Jags. But if nothing happens after a debacle like that, hell I wouldn’t care either if I were a Cowboys player. Pathetic.

27. petro says: Nov 3, 2010 11:12 AM

At least the guy is being honest. I don’t like him a little bit even but as an Eagles fan, Lurie would never have the nerve to do anything like this.

28. The Fighting Wombat says: Nov 3, 2010 11:13 AM

Vox, Chappy and ‘boys troll are all part of Jerrah’s “secret council” that actually run the Cowboys. Right now, they’re deep in the bowls of the Palatial Pimp Palace, planning personnel moves and game day strategy using an Ouija board and a beat up version of Mattel’s “Talking Football”.

29. FlipDaScript says: Nov 3, 2010 11:18 AM

He’ll need to apologize again this week after the Packers kick their asses up and down the field.
    Jerruh also needs to come clean and admit what we all know- he’s a terrible GM. Their roster (talent) has to be one of the most overrated squads in football.
    Nothing better than seeing “America’s Team” fail over and over again. They make the Vikings seem competitive this year.

30. johnster says: Nov 3, 2010 11:23 AM

I am sure beer sales go up as the team sucks, since you have to drown your sorrows for this pitiful team. Maybe that is his ulterior motive.
    Here in Dallas, Jerky does truck commercials, pizza commercials, and pepsi commercials. Does any other team owner or GM make commercials for sponsors?

31. VoxUcker says: Nov 3, 2010 11:29 AM

richc111 says: November 3, 2010 10:38 AM
    “We can all only hope that the new stadium is cursed. Wouldn’t that be great!!!!!!!!”
    Well… I wasn’t gonna say anything but…
    I worked there during construction and when nobody was looking I buried “13″ NY Giants jerseys under the foundation.
    LMAO

32. Starderup says: Nov 3, 2010 11:32 AM

So does this mean they are not going to still be favored to win the Super Bowl anymore?

33. Marv_Sleezy says: Nov 3, 2010 11:38 AM

Funny, when he said Snake Bitten, I immediately thought more of him.
    Most people from the South, no matter how intelligent they may seem, say “snake bit” – Which is grammatically incorrect.
    So I find it refreshing.

34. AmateurFootballtalk says: Nov 3, 2010 11:44 AM

look at Dan Synder, he sucked for years not knowing what the heck he was doing
    -then he did something smart, signed Bruce Allen
    I doubt Jerry Jones will do anything smart. He likes his current coach because Jones likes being the GM and doesn’t want a coach (Like Gruden) who will call him out on his crappy GMing

35. Baseball First says: Nov 3, 2010 12:24 PM

“Well… I wasn’t gonna say anything but…
    LMAO”
    —————————————————–
    Well, the Giants are 2 for 2 in the new stadium. You did a great job of cursing them. If you say you LMAO, does that mean your A is gone? It is pretty obvious to us it is still there and very noticeable. You should have gone with your first instinct.

36. hank moody says: Nov 3, 2010 12:28 PM

Steeler fan in Germantown…I am a Cowboy fan and have been watching them for over 40 years (yes I am old), but Jerry had to get rid of Tom Landry. The game was passing him by. It hurt, but it needed to be done. And what was done….a great coaching staff was assembled that enabled them to win 3 superbowls. Someone mentioned Jimmy Johnson…while I would take him back in a heartbeat, Jimmy did not do it all himself. If he is indeed such a wizard, why could he not win a Superbowl in Miami with a HOF QB?

37. Duck Fallas says: Nov 3, 2010 12:42 PM

The regular Cowboy trolls won’t rear their ugly heads on these boards again until the Cowboys pull together a winning season. Don’t hold your breath, it won’t be anytime soon.

38. iwishiwasindc says: Nov 3, 2010 12:51 PM

Am lifelong ‘Skins fan and even I am NOT enjoying the Cowboys troubles…that much! We have our own mess, but I love my team and I feel sorry for all of the Cowboy fans who love theirs…and the Vikings? Wowzer, what a season. NFL needs rivalries and strength across the board…not quitting locker rooms, failing leadership, demi-gods and personal junk photographers. I hope Lions and Raiders continue to be good…enough cellar-dwelling there. C’mon, men, get it together! Fans be suffering out here.

39. iwishiwasindc says: Nov 3, 2010 12:57 PM

40. TN Steeler Fan says: Nov 3, 2010 3:13 PM

hank moody
    You may be right, but the way he ousted Landry was very low class. As I said, he gave his heart and soul to that team and to the City. To be run out of Dodge very uncerimoniously as he was, was a shame.
    The subsequent celebration, way after the fact, was, in my opinion, Jones trying to wipe a huge boogar off his face for the way he treated Landry.
    I will also say that Jimmy J. not doing it all by himself applies to the 70 Steelers as well. I really liked Noll, but without the coaches he had, he would have not been as successful.
    That’s the trouble with Jones……he doesn’t let the coaches do their jobs. He thinks he knows best. He’s an assface.

41. willmose says: Nov 3, 2010 6:09 PM

Jerry is s-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o sorry. In fact, he is as sorry as his team is and that is going a ways. As Randy Quaid (yes, I am quoting Randy Quaid to bring reality back to the discussion) said in Dead Solid Perfect, “Spit on luck”

42. stick5150 says: Nov 4, 2010 8:24 AM

Please continue, every day, to headline one of the WORST teams in football. Enough already! When will all of the suit wearing experts admit they were totally wrong about the Cowboys? This team and their over-hyped quarterback have stunk for years yet they are the most talked about team on sports shows. Mike Ditka is the only “suit” I’ve heard admit he was wrong about this last place team. When will the rest of you follow and stop putting them as your lead story? Go Pat’s.

43. stick5150 says: Nov 4, 2010 8:25 AM