ESPN fears Dan Patrick

Since then, Dan has flourished, arguably taking his career to even greater heights than he ever enjoyed at ESPN.  His daily radio show is appointment listening and/or viewing, and it’s now available in virtually every communications format known to man or beast.

And so ESPN continues to stubbornly refuse to allow its own on-air talent to appear on Patrick’s radio show.

The most recent example?  ESPN’s Keyshawn Johnson was scheduled to appear on Thursday, as part of an ongoing promotion of a product we’re not paid to mention, so we won’t.  And within minutes after booker extraordinaire Todd Fritz mentioned Johnson’s upcoming appearance (which had been set up more than a week in advance), ESPN pulled the plug.

Meanwhile, Keyshawn has appeared on Sporting News Radio, and he has been interviewed by the sports blog Hugging Harold Reynolds, a title that takes a backhanded slap at one of the various and sundry sexual harassment allegations that ESPN has had to confront over the years.

The logic makes no sense.  Dan’s show has thrived without appearances from ESPN talent.  If anything, it would help ESPN to infiltrate what is becoming a three-hour morning juggernaut.

Look, we’ve evolved beyond bashing ESPN gratuitously.  But to the extent that the same folks who obsessively monitor Dan’s show also monitor this website (as of three years ago, there were two employees assigned to doing so), we have some free advice.

Quit being so petty.  You’re underestimating — and eventually alienating — your audience.

Of course, I wouldn’t be sharing that advice if I thought they’d actually heed it.  Maybe they will once they wake up and realize that the self-titled Worldwide Leader has some real competition.

Oh, wait.  That day already has arrived.

And Rip Van Bristol continues to snore right through it.

Permalink 99 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
99 Responses to “ESPN fears Dan Patrick”
  1. jmac1013 says: Nov 5, 2010 11:38 AM

“When Dan Patrick left ESPN several years ago, the suits at ESPN likely predicted that Patrick needed Bristol much more than Bristol needed Patrick.”
    What kind of reporting went into that sentence? “Likely”? Really?
    I like Dan Patrick, but there are two sides to every story. Perhaps ESPN wanted to keep Patrick, but he snubbed them and that is why ESPN won’t allow their employees to frequent his show.
    Isn’t it a conflict of interest for you to slurp a fellow NBC employee while posing it as reporting?

2. charges pending says: Nov 5, 2010 11:39 AM

Top talent at NBC? 3 hour morning juggernaut? Oh wait I guess that’s because you call in and you’ve guest hosted? right?

3. FinFan6886 says: Nov 5, 2010 11:41 AM

“Quit being so petty. You’re underestimating — and eventually alienating — your audience.”
    ———————————————–
    Wow, that’s a pot-meet-kettle statement if there ever was one. I would have liked to have seen Florio heed his own advice during the Mike Wise fiasco. ESPN does seem to be petty at times. Can they halt an interview that has nothing to do with ESPN? Seems absurd.

4. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 5, 2010 11:41 AM

ESPN sucks.
    It’s literally the absolute last place i go for sports news.

5. buzmeg says: Nov 5, 2010 11:43 AM

The “mothership” thinks it rules the sports world.

6. melikefootball says: Nov 5, 2010 11:44 AM

His radio show is great, the pre game show Football Night in America needs work. he tries to be a funny man and doesn’t come off as such.

7. superfluousK says: Nov 5, 2010 11:45 AM

Does Dick Ebersol send down these down verbatim or just provide an outline and you fill in the meat? It’s nice you work for NBC now, everybody gotta eat but, damn their self promotion is blatant and awful.

8. radioguy says: Nov 5, 2010 11:45 AM

you are kidding?? Dan Patrick’s radio ratings are almost nil…..He has a job at NBC but his radio show is a total snore with or without ESPN talent

9. YP2K says: Nov 5, 2010 11:48 AM

Indeed. Although I must thank them for sparing Dan Nation from having to listen to Meshawn . . .

10. JDeezy says: Nov 5, 2010 11:51 AM

*poops pants*

11. BroncosFan says: Nov 5, 2010 11:53 AM

Get paid to read the internet and write a daily report to my employer on how much people hate it? Please tell me how to get a job like this.

12. Citizen Strange says: Nov 5, 2010 11:54 AM

That’s why they call it Show “Business.”

13. 12greaterthan4 says: Nov 5, 2010 11:54 AM

agreed….but get off your high horse.

14. boltswm23 says: Nov 5, 2010 11:56 AM

Great article, Florio. Hahaha, I actually laugh at your editorials now.

15. AdamEagle5 says: Nov 5, 2010 11:56 AM

You know how you could REALLY build up web-cred that ESPN doesnt have?
    1) stop making up BS stories
    2) talk about sports, not dancing with the stars
    3) dont worry about what they do. whats with this post? who cares about your opinions about ESPNs relationship with the DP Show

16. Citizen Strange says: Nov 5, 2010 11:57 AM

All our times have come
    Here but now they’re gone
    ESPN don’t fear Dan Patrick
    Nor do the wind or the sun or the rain
    …we can be like they are
    Come on baby…don’t fear Dan Patrick
    Baby take my hand…don’t fear Dan Patrick
    We’ll be able to fly…don’t fear Dan Patrick
    Baby I’m your man…

17. Rocky70 says: Nov 5, 2010 11:57 AM

Why even report about the political bs involving the media …… Most avid football fans don’t give a ‘rat’s ass’ about all the media posturing & positioning …… In fact, the media is basicly looked at as being only a neccesary evil …… Most fans would love just ‘reporting’ by the media instead of all the ‘creating’ that happens ….
    Here’s an idea …… Back to football.

18. realitypolice says: Nov 5, 2010 11:58 AM

“ESPN continues to stubbornly refuse to allow its own on-air talent to appear on Patrick’s radio show.”
    ======================
    How low can we go. You are now writing articles that are nothing but naked shilling for your parent company.
    I am sure that you know, as everyone in the sports media knows, that it is ESPN policy to not allow their personalities to appear on radio shows that compete with ESPN radio.
    It has been that way for over a decade. Mike Franseca has been bitching for years about ESPN’s refusal to allow him to have anyone on.
    For you to write this as if it is news only now that they are saying no to Patrick is beyond dishonest.
    It’s borderline unethical.

19. bbeer says: Nov 5, 2010 11:58 AM

Atta boy Mikey! You tell em…and you’re completely right.

20. ghostrider says: Nov 5, 2010 11:58 AM

ESPN Sucks. It’s been at least 5 years since I’ve watched anything on their network other than MNF and I’ve never been happier.
    Thank you NFL Network!

21. MightyMightyLAFootball says: Nov 5, 2010 12:00 PM

Nobody cares.

22. bayou says: Nov 5, 2010 12:08 PM

Doesn’t everyone fear D.P.? I believe a couple of small countries in eastern Asia think he is god and worship statues of the guy.

23. mr_snrub says: Nov 5, 2010 12:08 PM

Patrick is boring and terrible on the radio. Next time your at radio row for the super bowl check out how empty his audience is.
    Oh, and quit using arguably.

24. sleeptech says: Nov 5, 2010 12:14 PM

Shouldn’t this be in the entertainment section of some webpage, rather than masquerading as a “sports” article (blog entry, whatever). The only athlete I even see mentioned is Keyshawn, and it’s not even in reference to anything he did on the field.
    Stick to sports man, it’s what we came here for.

25. PED'S ARE GOOD FOR SPORTS says: Nov 5, 2010 12:14 PM

For all those who say this site doesnt have Web cred—you better do more research. Funny thing is, people here try to come down on some of the stuff thats posted on here, how its written, etc.
    WHO CARES? That same stuff is what allows us to post ridiculous comments and funny replies, and allows us all the freedom to write whatever.
    Not to mention the fact this site has ridiculous web traffic and an increasing number of hits per month.
    You dont like it, theres always another place to go for news.

26. Truth Hurts says: Nov 5, 2010 12:15 PM

“His daily radio show is appointment listening and/or viewing…”
    Dead wrong.

27. PkrNboro says: Nov 5, 2010 12:17 PM

ESPN (incorrectly) thinks its a mover/shaker in the sports business.
    Aside from MNF and a college BB game now and then, I’m not there. I don’t go to their website either – changed over to cbssports.com.
    From the 5 minute intro on SportsCenter, to the overuse of Adobe Flash on the website — it’s just a waste of my time. I went to their site once, and one of their on-air personalities was on the front “page” (I could pick him from a lineup, but don’t recall his name — balding, younger, lady frames). How pretentious is that? Not the NFL/MLB/NBA/etc, but ESPN-people — we’re the most important thing in sports !! Ridiculous !!

28. Maddog says: Nov 5, 2010 12:18 PM

ghostrider says:
    November 5, 2010 11:58 AM
    Thank you NFL Network!
    ——————————————–
    If it’s been over five years since you’ve watched, how are you qualified to judge?

29. jgommie says: Nov 5, 2010 12:18 PM

I am pretty sure ESPN talent is an oxymoron. They put Todd McShay out there as an “expert” that guy is a total ass clown. Then there is that sad excuse of a morning radio with that whiny slight homo jewish boy who has an unnatural love of Mark Sanchez. Brett Favre pays them well to mention his name 10x per hour. And to top it off they love to spin and story and run their opinions as fact. Remember the helmet to helmet hit story. They made it to be something completely different than what it really was. Way to f up sports you Mickey Mouse loving bastards.

30. TheDPR says: Nov 5, 2010 12:21 PM

The Mother Ship, as Dan sarcastically calls them, are so out of touch with the world of the sports fan that they get whatever they deserve. Screw ESPN.

31. Wink and the Gun says: Nov 5, 2010 12:23 PM

I stopped watching Sportscenter a while ago. I’ll go to ESPN to play the March Madness brackets, and if I want to hear about how awesome they think the Yankees and Red Sox are (which I never want to hear, so pretty much just March Madness), but otherwise I steer clear unless they televise a game I really want to watch.

32. Richm2257 says: Nov 5, 2010 12:25 PM

Dan patrick is the single WORST thing about Sunday Night Football.
    Seriously.
    I never could stand this self-important turd, and on SNF he’s just waaaaay to full of himself.

33. Whodey08 says: Nov 5, 2010 12:25 PM

ghostrider says:
    November 5, 2010 11:58 AM
    Thank you NFL Network!
    Could not say it any better than ghostrider did.

34. DerekLutz says: Nov 5, 2010 12:28 PM

Not sure why anyone actually cares what ESPN thinks about Dan’s show or more air time for their talent.
    And a note to anyone with the show – after having listened to it online today for two hours please, please change out the audio during commercial breaks. The show played the same Nolan Ryan bit every break today. Just put ads in the online breaks and for the love of God, kill off the indie music snippets. We don’t know the bands nor do we care who they are. For a staff the size DP has on his show the execution and production value is woeful.

35. Cold Omaha says: Nov 5, 2010 12:32 PM

I have to agree — the radio show is brutal. Almost as bad as Steven A Smith.

36. DaBeast says: Nov 5, 2010 12:33 PM

I don’t know how to say this without it sounding bad. even though I don’t mean it in a bad way. I’m just a frustrated jock with how badly major sports are being reported today on stations like ESPN. So here goes anyway.
    ESPN has completely lost its relevance to me as a male jock. It has become nothing except a parade of babbling, giggling, silly, clueless Gals attached to silly, comedic weak male reporters and opinionators. And nothing is sillier, more meaningless and less informative that the worthless female interview/intercept that nauseatingly happens during every male pro or college sport event. And as case in point of the weakness of ESPN programming, I hold up ESPN First Take. They can gobble up a good chunk of your day with drivelly female sports blather. And then in the afternoon segment, they toss out all of the gals to get to the real depth of subjects, with a condensed version of the First Take debates with the guys only. And that show is remarkably better than the full program.
    My advice to EPSN and all of the media that report on male sports is “you better be careful”. Careful that you’re not tossing aside the very audience that sustains you in a narcissistic attempt to force gender balance in sports and games that have zero female participation. They also have very low female viewership! When guys watch muscle sports, like the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, and NCAA, they want to hear from sport reporters and opinionators who come out the bowels of the sports and games. Not from the giggling, wiggling Cheerleaders!

37. CYGNUS X-1 says: Nov 5, 2010 12:36 PM

Iknow it’s your site and you can write about whatever you want this constant schilling for nbc and your rants against espn are beyond annoying.this may come a shocking to you but I have never listened to dan patrick or any talk radio of any kind. I listen to the radio for what it was meant for and that is music! and believe it or not I watch espn to get my sports news and like it,and if I don’t like what’s on I turn it off! I don’t need you to tell me how horrible they are and not to watch it.sure it may be petty but they have their rules just like nbc I am sure has some you don’t like.why all the hat to espn anyway?they turn you down years ago or what?how about just sticking to football news anyway?that is why most people started coming to the site in the first place and I mean actual news to, not the let’s toss something out there tmz style and hope it sticks that you have resorted to lately.

38. Mooch says: Nov 5, 2010 12:42 PM

He has no show in Philadelphia. And his “Above the Noise” segment that I hear sometimes is routinely lame / pretentious.
    I hope you got money for this sponsored post.

39. Bradwins says: Nov 5, 2010 12:44 PM

One of the few things in sports that I find more annoying than ESPN is anything associated with Dan Patrick. He nearly matches ESPN’s smugness and arrogance all by himself.

40. Freebird2010 says: Nov 5, 2010 12:44 PM

I agree with the poster above about the ESPN website. It takes too long to load a page when you want to see something. I almost always go elsewhere for information including, but not limited to, Yahoo or Wikipedia.

41. shaunypoo says: Nov 5, 2010 12:44 PM

Frankly, I think they were better together. ESPN is still a brand, but Dan Patrick has pretty much faded from the limelight. He does not have a flourishing career anymore. He is just there.
    Did ESPN light your resume on fire in front of you or something?

42. johnspartan says: Nov 5, 2010 12:45 PM

Yeah, wow… the references to the dreamy NBC programming is pretty bad.

43. Infidel says: Nov 5, 2010 12:54 PM

The media interviewing the media.
    Breathtaking journalism.
    Oy vey.

44. sportsbruh3 says: Nov 5, 2010 12:54 PM

ESPN Blows BIG TIME!!!!
    The sunday Morning crew is OLD and unwatchable
    Everything about ESPN is behind in the times.
    I watch NFLNETWORK over them EVERY sunday morning. However they do BEAT NFLNETWORK on Monday Nights. Them dudes on NFLNETWORK on Monday nights are like watch a funeral.

45. Dayton Dolfan says: Nov 5, 2010 12:54 PM

Dan Patrick is a complete tool. I listen to commercials on ESPN rather than switching over to listen to him during commercial breaks. He is insulting and patronizing to his guests. He thinks he is so cute. I have no idea what the ratings are, but if he is successful it baffles me to no end.
    So ESPN doesnt let their employed talent to go on his show. Why would they? Why would they want to help an competitor out? I know this site makes all its money by posting links to others’ works, but that doesnt mean everyone has to follow that business model. ESPN pays Keyshawn to spend time learning info about the NFL. No reason for them to then allow a competitor use that knowledge it paid to develop. Its not petty, its business. You think Patrick would walk into ESPN studios and do a commerical for free?

46. Art Van Delay's brother says: Nov 5, 2010 12:55 PM

The Dan Patrick radio show is the worse piece of crap on the airwaves. He has surrounded himself with a bunch of suck ups ala Howard Stern who no nothing about sports.
    His departure from ESPN was similar to Craig Kilborn from late night tv with Patrick stating he was going to explore many avenues after decades at ESPN. Guess what? No one came calling and he’s back hawking ad time on radio.
    He now rips off Chris Bermen on Bermen’s signature grunts and groans while doing the highlights on Sunday Night Football. What a shill! What a pompous ass!

47. INVAIDUH says: Nov 5, 2010 12:55 PM

BSPN SUCKS!
    ghostrider said the rest for me.

48. sven_ftw says: Nov 5, 2010 12:58 PM

espn arrogance at its’ finest. what KILLS me is how their sportscenter commercials are still funny, like the patrick/scott/eisen/mayne/etc. panels that used to have me rolling with hilarious goofball comments for decades, and now we get THIS crap??
    other than the occasional mayne or scott segment, the entire broadcast is an absolute snooze. BORING. and boring people’s jokes SUCK.
    no more “butter” for sportcenter, because they’re definitely no longer “on a roll”, nor are they as “cool as the other side of the pillow.”
    quit sucking please, sportscenter. the humor is gone, the thrill is gone.

49. bow2carmine says: Nov 5, 2010 1:04 PM

Cowherd rules the radio, Dan Patrick doesn’t come close

50. philbirds says: Nov 5, 2010 1:04 PM

you guys that hate a television station/company so much are losers. if you had other things to care about in life you’d be able to watch whatever channel(listen to whatever station) has the game or analysis that is currently the most interesting to you…without getting all emotionally charged up.

51. Facts Domino says: Nov 5, 2010 1:13 PM

The best part of the Dan Patrick show is a) it’s about sports b) the Danetts and the guests.
    The worst part about it is Dan’s ego that seems to grow at epic proportions.
    I guess you have to be like that to be in radio. He seems to have gone to the Stern school of tooting ones own horn, when they aren’t even what makes the show entertaining.

52. cbrianwatkins says: Nov 5, 2010 1:17 PM

i flipped SportsCenter on last week for the first time in 6yrs, it quickly reminded me why i hate ESPN so much
    its truly painful to watch that channel
    oh, and florio, thanks for running with that Jake Plummer story i emailed you

53. jtaft says: Nov 5, 2010 1:26 PM

I enjoy listening to Patrick simply because I know none of the bo-bos from (E!)spn will be on there…

54. WTE says: Nov 5, 2010 1:26 PM

The only person worth watching on that Football Night in America show is Faith Hill.
    God I love that short, tight skirt.

55. BigBear123 says: Nov 5, 2010 1:33 PM

Doesn’t stop you from using reports by ESPN employees.
    Patrick is a talking head, just like any other, Costas and Michaels make SNF what it is.
    You remind me of Iraqi’s trying to shoot their machine guns at bombers in the night sky during the “shock and awe” event. Fire away all you want but you’re not hitting anything.

56. I hate Ted Thompson says: Nov 5, 2010 1:34 PM

Wow, what a butt-smooching post on Patrick.
    Florio: “His daily radio show is appointment listening and/or viewing”
    —- Oh yeah, so says Florio, who appears on Patrick’s show.
    Florio: “He also has become a top talent at NBC, directing traffic and presenting highlights during the 30 Rock studio portion of Football Night in America.”
    —— Oh yeah, because no one can read a transcript of a highlight package quite like Patrick can !!!
    By the way, name all the people in the world that is upset about not getting to heard an interview with Meyshawn Johnson ???
    And just as an aside, if Florio (or Patrick) think THEY are the reason for more people tuning into Football Night in America, uhhh no, it’s because Keith Olbermann is NOT on there any more.
    I know many, many, many Republicans (who can’t stand Olbermann) that did not watch SOLELY because of him, but now do. Olbermann cost that network 10’s of millions of dollars in lost ad reveneue EACH YEAR he was there.
    TENS OF MILLIONS.

57. Steelers+Refs=True Love says: Nov 5, 2010 1:35 PM

I agree with Florio, ESPN blows. The blatant favoritism they show Favre, Tiger Woods, the Yanks, and Lakers is sickening. And the new sportscenter anchors are so annoying.

58. goskins575 says: Nov 5, 2010 1:39 PM

Why is it I can expect a daily snarky column from Florio trashing his competitors?
    Gee, how about a column about how lifeless Tony Dungy has the stage presence of Bristol Palin? Guy doesn’t even know to look at the camera.
    Enough, Florio. We get it, ESPN blows. Now make yourself useful and go find out whether I should start DeSean Jackson this week.

59. themiler07 says: Nov 5, 2010 1:41 PM

I enjoy both Sunday Night Football and the DP show. I also listen to the last hour of Mike & Mike during the first hour of the DP show. At the super bowl last year Golic had the nads to appear on Patrick’s show, while Greenberg wimped out. I wonder if their was any retribution. I cannot stand Cowherd.
    What are Patrick’s rating vs. ESPN??

60. Nard100 says: Nov 5, 2010 1:45 PM

“Look, we’ve evolved beyond bashing ESPN gratuitously.”
    Apparently not. Growing a little tired of the worship-at-mount-NBC demagoguery. Let’s stay on topic her with football takes, not network promos.

61. HarrisonHits says: Nov 5, 2010 2:01 PM

The only thing BSPN is the worldwide leader in is making up stories and making asses of themselves.
    They are the worldwide joke of sportscasting.
    For many good reasons espn is banned from all televisions in my house with the sole exception of when an NFL game is actually being played and broadcast by them. Thankfully that’s only once a week.
    For the rest of the time that reeking pile of fecal matter is never viewed in my household.

62. petro says: Nov 5, 2010 2:03 PM

I cannot take this article seriously as you and he both work for NBC. I say that as being very anti ESPN too but you have to be fair and know both sides of the story and not show a conflict of interest.

63. Nacho Nacho Cheez says: Nov 5, 2010 2:17 PM

OVERRATED ! CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP !
    OVERRATED ! CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP !
    OVERRATED ! CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP !

64. HateSycophants says: Nov 5, 2010 2:21 PM

@DaBeast,

65. protectthishouse54 says: Nov 5, 2010 2:24 PM

Plus, ESPN just does way more than NBC so I go to it. Interesting, witty columns from Easterbrook, Simmons, Reilly, etc. Consistent fantasy football information. Live Chats online which are cool. Plus, tons of coverage about other sports (believe it or not Florio, some of us out there do watch other sports). It’s just useful.

66. rbais2 says: Nov 5, 2010 2:26 PM

@ghostrider Amen brother!!!

67. Gregjennings85 says: Nov 5, 2010 2:27 PM

I love Danny boy.
    Great program.
    He was dynamite on ESPN, back in the day.
    ESPN was dynamite back in the day.
    As soon as Disney bought ESPN, it went to absolute crap.
    NFL Primetime without Chris Berman?
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    ???
    Also, I could go down to my local area homeless shelter and find better studio personalities than Trent “I Can Suck At Anything I Put My Mind To” Dilfer*, and Tim “What Have I Ever Done, Seriously?” HassellbEck.
    When he describes a nice pass as, “dropping an absolute dime”, nothing could make less sense.
    Dropping a dime, means to call the police on someone.
    Dilfer is a moron, and ESPN is run by morons now.

68. protectthishouse54 says: Nov 5, 2010 2:30 PM

Oh my God Florio, this is ridiculous. Want to talk about alienating your fan-base? Keep posting crap like this. Chances are 99% of the people viewing your site regularly watch ESPN also (because we like sports and want to watch it all the time, something ESPN offers), so thanks for basically insulting all of us. Anyone who claims that they haven’t watched any ESPN in 5 years is full of it. Dan Patrick makes me nauseous. I’d rather watch Berman just because he doesn’t come off as a total jerk. I agree with the people who wonder why ESPN would let their personalities contribute to competitors’ shows. As for ESPN “fearing” the “juggernaut” that is Dan Patrick… I think ESPN is doing just fine. I doubt they’re realistically concerned in the least.
    For whoever wrote this about ESPN — “Brett Favre pays them well to mention his name 10x per hour. And to top it off they love to spin and story and run their opinions as fact.” Who does that sound like???

69. Arctic Edge says: Nov 5, 2010 2:32 PM

Dan is one of if not the best out there. BSPN lost big time! Good for you Dan!

70. hrmlss says: Nov 5, 2010 2:35 PM

Dan Patrick has a radio show? I thought he was still on espn. But I quit watching that station when Olberman was still relevant. The only way I tune to espn is if there is a game on. Sports Center is awful.

71. Filbertkiwi71 says: Nov 5, 2010 2:35 PM

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but there is no doubt in my mind that there has been a huge shift in ESPN programming over at least the last decade if not longer.
    IMO, it used to be network of substance over personality, and now it is all about personality with very little substance.
    Mike Florio’s coverage of the Vick saga was outstanding, and that was long before he became one of the feathers of the big peacock, NBC.
    IMO, ESPN’s coverage of Vick was absolutely abysmal, and I am being kind when I say abysmal.
    I hate what ESPN has become, and have no use for it whatsoever other than to watch a game. I have no time or inclination to watch or listen to any of their other chronic self-promoters.

72. thecuz says: Nov 5, 2010 2:37 PM

Florio stop bloviating.

73. awfflpete says: Nov 5, 2010 2:41 PM

The only thing like about ESPN is the E60 crew and Adam Schefter. All the rest sucks.

74. cobrala2 says: Nov 5, 2010 2:49 PM

ALL > ESPN

75. lwoody says: Nov 5, 2010 2:58 PM

The best thing about the DanPatrick show are the regular visits from the lovely Brooklyn Decker

76. ghostrider says: Nov 5, 2010 3:03 PM

Maddog says:
    November 5, 2010 12:18 PM
    ghostrider says:
    November 5, 2010 11:58 AM
    Thank you NFL Network!
    ——————– ——————– —-
    ———————————————
    Because it sure doesn’t sound like anything has changed.

77. jmac1013 says: Nov 5, 2010 3:07 PM

Gregjennings85 says: November 5, 2010 2:27 PM
    Dropping a dime, means to call the police on someone.
    Dilfer is a moron, and ESPN is run by morons now.
    =================================

78. DaBeast says: Nov 5, 2010 3:34 PM

@ Hatesycophants who said:
    “@DaBeast,
    Your post is the “best” example of latent homosexuality I’ve seen on this site in the past 3 years or so. Congratulations?”
    DaBeast responds:
    Sorry I didn’t satisfy you last night “Porky” Next time I’ll use vasoline.
    Stop your whining and b!tching about me you little tart! Focus on the subject matter. And is this all you have been doing for the last 3 years (rating comments)? What a loser!

79. Joe says: Nov 5, 2010 3:35 PM

lmao so who exactly is the competition?
    not this site and not Dan Patrick

80. Kevin from Philly says: Nov 5, 2010 3:44 PM

Cit Strange,
    More cowbell, baby!

81. dangerman77 says: Nov 5, 2010 3:53 PM

Richm2257 says: November 5, 2010 12:25 PM
    Dan patrick is the single WORST thing about Sunday Night Football.
    ====================================
    I thought it was widely agreed that Tiki Barber’s aimless babbling on camera while trying to dig out and use the three SAT words he memorized for that night’s broadcast was the worst thing about SNF.

82. Bradwins says: Nov 5, 2010 3:54 PM

As I mentioned earlier, I do not care for Dan Patrick.
    However, the 5 worst sports/media personalities all reside at “the Worldwide Leader”:
    1. Stuart Scott (look at me when you’re talking!)
    2. Linda Cohn (Linda, hockey sucks and everyone hates you. Go. Away.)
    3. Colin Cowherd (I forgot more about sports since I started writing this post than this weasel will ever know.)
    4. Hannah Storm (does she not know she is 60 years old? Put some clothes on before I get sick on myself.)
    5. Chris Carter (every time this dude says something asinine that he thinks is insightful he starts gyrating his neck like a retarded woodpecker. Who told this guy he knows anything about anything?)

83. Gregjennings85 says: Nov 5, 2010 4:19 PM

jmac1013:
    “Actually, it makes sense. There are other expressions that reference a dime. “Stop on a dime”, “Get off of the dime”, and “Turn on a dime” for instance.
    Dime is used for reference to a small item. Though, I’m not sure why Dilfer uses the word “absolute.””
    _________________________________
    Uhhhhh. Yeah, thanks for breaking that down for me.
    ???
    Worst. Breakdown. Ever.

84. HateSycophants says: Nov 5, 2010 7:37 PM

@Dabeast?,
    Your post stood out based on sheer “gayness.” How many times did you attempt to ridicule women, while referring to yourself as a “male jock?” Several. What you do in your private life is your business, but when you post a comment from an obviously homosexual perspective, people are going to notice.
    Re-read your post and re-examine your “lifestyle.”
    I didn’t choose to be straight, I was born this way. I assume that your orientation is the same. Take stock.

85. comment_submission_error says: Nov 5, 2010 9:28 PM

Florio holds a grudge. He’s been grinding his EntertainmentSportsProgrammingNetwork axe for years. It is the only thing he does that warrants any respect.

86. DaBeast says: Nov 6, 2010 1:53 PM

@HateSycophants:
    I think it is you with an identity problem. Not Me! I sure don’t have one. My wife, 3 children (including a wonderful daughter), and 4 grandchildren (2 unbelievable grand daughters) sure don’t think so. If you, are a trained Psychologist gleaning a lifestyle issue from my comment, then I sure wouldn’t want to be your patient. You’d likely diagnose a simple fainting spell as paranoid, homo, erotic, schizophrenia!
    My commentary stands by itself! It was just a simple opinion about the “silliness” that permeates throughout ESPN broaddcasts and major sports events today. My opinion is that a lot of the silliness is because women broadcasters with zero major sports cred or experience have replaced males who had it. I’m old enough to remember how it was before. When Sports journalism was serious, hard hitting stuff. Not the People Magazine pulp we are being fed today by the likes of ESPN and the sports media. Just look how tawdry even NBC Sports female blog reporter (I don’t recall her name) treated the Tiger Woods episode. Her sickening “Timeline for Tiger’s Sex Scandal”, was a running sport voyeurism gossip column as disgusting as Tiger’s act itself. The sports journalists of past would never have treated a world class athlete that way. And they didn’t!
    But enough about the point of my commentary. Let’s talk about yours. Mine was in response to the article. Yours was just cheap, totally incorrect, homophobic psycho-babble shot at me personally! And it was typical, ignorant, bigoted name calling about someone and something you obviously know nothing about.
    You, yourself need to go back and read my original comment over and over again. To your amazement, if you have a brain, you will see it is commentary on my PREFFERENCE for the Power Sports broadcasting and sports reporting FORMAT. It’s absolutely no difference from me saying I would much prefer seeing real women model women’s fashion and talking about it instead of some man. Or me saying I much prefer playing my weekend Golf with my 3 best male buddies instead of my wife and her 2 best friends! I think it is you who needs to check your panty inventory! It’s certainly not me.

87. DaBeast says: Nov 6, 2010 1:57 PM

@ HateSycophants:
    Oh and by the way. The only one who actually noticed YOUR obvious fact seems to be YOU! Now take the lipstick off honey, and confront your own inner demons! Stop worrying about mine!

88. ST214EVER says: Nov 8, 2010 1:21 PM

I think we are all addicted to the NFL and no talent buffoons are making comfy livings off of us. Ya, I hope they hold out next year. I think one full year without the NFL would be great.

89. rbais2 says: Nov 8, 2010 2:14 PM

Dan Patrick is as scary as the little girl “Boo” in Monsters Inc.
    Does anyone remember her in a monster costume going “rrrr, rrrr, rrrr”???
    Both are gentler than mice. The stupid network with 4 letters needs to stop acting lazy and do some real work.

90. footballfan says: Nov 8, 2010 2:52 PM

I am amazed ESPN even has time for football. With basketball season starting they never seem to show anything else…..

91. Drednot says: Nov 8, 2010 3:24 PM

I wish CNNSI was still on the air (I know i’m showing my age here), but that was whereI got all my sports info. They were the best!!!

92. thirdandgoal says: Nov 8, 2010 6:30 PM

i don’t believe any of you who claim you don’t watch espn, or any of its programming. even if you don’t sit on the channel for large chunks of time, you all are clicking over for a segment or story at time. even if it’s just to check the crawler at the bottom for a couple minutes. admit it. it’s the love to hate ‘em phenomenon– or you wouldn’t be so vehement in your opinions.

93. JayBot says: Nov 8, 2010 10:43 PM

Dan Patrick is such a “a three-hour morning juggernaut” that his Chicago affiliate (670 AM WSCR) buries him somewhere between 1am-4am and occasionally opts to not play his show at all. It’s hard to believe that “a three-hour morning juggernaut” would be relegated to graveyard shift tape delay in one of the three largest media markets in North America.

94. mcannan4547 says: Nov 9, 2010 12:30 AM

mike and mike are tolerable, and 1st take i can handle on most days (i work afternoons) but sportscenter is just awful.

95. Deb says: Nov 9, 2010 1:08 AM

@DaBeast …
    Don’t wnat to encroach upon the bizarre discussion between you and the other guy, but re your original post …
    Oddly enough, I think you have some good points. Can’t address other sports, but the female audience for football is larger than you think. Still–I doubt other women are anymore interested than I am in watching Barbie and Gidget bring them football news. Those jiggly/giggly sportscasters you dislike are aimed at the young male audience, not us. Though I’m a staunch defender of equal opportunity, I’ve been in love with the game since I was a child and am annoyed to see those jobs going to surgically enhanced nude models like Jenn Sterger rather than the ex-players who once held them. Studio shows are one thing, but sideline reporting should be done by people who have genuine insight into the sport. If the boys want to look at pretty girls … that’s why they make cheerleaders.

96. petro says: Nov 9, 2010 10:14 AM

Dan Patrick is lame “Vanilla Ice Cream” that is safe and doesn’t cause a stir. He’s a dime a dozen guy. He’s not on here in Philly but his show is on-line and I can’t listen. I

97. fureious says: Nov 9, 2010 10:27 AM

Judging by the comments in here there are a lot more than 2 ESPN employees monitoring this site.
    Hilarious!!!
    Keep up the good work Mike.

98. jmac0585 says: Nov 11, 2010 5:09 PM

I like DP’s show, but what does PFT and the DP show have to do with each other?

99. clups says: Nov 11, 2010 9:59 PM

ESPN has sucked over since Disney took over the ABC family of networks in the 90s.