Matthew Stafford doesn’t think he’ll play Sunday at Buffalo

If the 2010 Bills are going to avoid joining the 2008 Lions as the only 0-16 teams in NFL history, their best chance is beating the Lions on Sunday in Buffalo.

Today’s injury news out of Detroit should make the Bills’ task a little easier.

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was asked on Mitch Albom’s radio show whether he expects to play Sunday at Buffalo. He answered, “I don’t think so.”

Stafford has played in just two games this season and suffered a right shoulder injury in both, and the injury he suffered Sunday against the Jets will apparently keep him from playing against the Bills.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz said the team plans to “err on the side of caution” with Stafford, which means we should expect to see either Shaun Hill or Drew Stanton under center in Buffalo. Although Hill has played reasonably well in Stafford’s place, the absence of Stafford should give the Bills a better chance of winning their first game of the season.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
45 Responses to “Matthew Stafford doesn’t think he’ll play Sunday at Buffalo”
  1. FireSchwartz says: Nov 8, 2010 6:59 PM

2. JaggedMark says: Nov 8, 2010 7:01 PM

Detroit Free Press’s Drew Sharp got it right.
    He called Stafford a 72million dollar injury magnet.

3. DYNASTY says: Nov 8, 2010 7:09 PM

What’s wrong with him?????? How long is he out..can we get something please. This spirals MEGATRON’S Fantasy Numbers!!

4. kosarsmyidol says: Nov 8, 2010 7:17 PM

If he can shake the injury bug, he could end up being very good. I’m pulling for him and the Lions.

5. mwcarolina says: Nov 8, 2010 7:20 PM

(“The Lions should cut their loses and release this clown. Biggest bust in NFL history. Jermarcus Russell was less a trainwreck than this hick.”)
    you’ve GOT to be joking man!!! just sign Russell and watch how he screws up your lions, then you change your mind. Stafford needs to rehab better and add muscle to that shoulder and then maybe he will be great next year, BUT comparing him to Russell as the biggest draft bust is a HUGE mistake. Russell didnt give a darn about playing football, Stafford tries, but gets hurt, it’s likely that the shoulder wasnt completely healed in the first place.

6. PreSeason_Champs says: Nov 8, 2010 7:25 PM

He has actually played in three games this season, not two. Bears, Redskins, and Jets. Being injured in the Bears and Jets games.

7. PreSeason_Champs says: Nov 8, 2010 7:27 PM

He has actually played in three games this season, not two. Bears, Redskins, and Jets. Being injured in the Bears and Jets game.

8. NE49ers says: Nov 8, 2010 7:28 PM

he’s always been injury prone, even back when he was under-achieving at UGA

9. Agent Cooper says: Nov 8, 2010 7:33 PM

Matthew Stafford = Mr. Glass

10. BradyGazelle says: Nov 8, 2010 7:35 PM

Meow.

11. Girard says: Nov 8, 2010 7:40 PM

I certainly hope Stafford signed up for obama care and they really don’t have death panels as oft injured as this kid is.

12. toddzman says: Nov 8, 2010 7:43 PM

I am a looooong time Buffalo fan, and I like what Ryan Fitzpatrick has done for a zero win high effort/low talent club.
    However….I have watched alot of DLions games (fantasy reasons) and you people turning on Stafford are NUTS!!! He is a gamer….yes he gets hurt alot, but really…..Stafford or Harrington/Batch/ Kitna/ Old Culpepper or any other irrelevant QB! If you are really being like that Im sure the BBills can pick up Cade McNown and trade him to the Lions to satisfy you! Be happy with your QB and shut up!

13. Bech72 says: Nov 8, 2010 7:54 PM

Some idiotic posts on this site, but FireSchwartz’ takes the cake. Too funny.

14. WonderlicMyBallz says: Nov 8, 2010 7:57 PM

Matthew Stafford is very much like Phil Simms was early in his career. Simms got hurt a lot early on as well. Then became a weight room guy & his injuries greatly decreased. After his early injury trouble, he went through a span where he was one of the more durable QB’s in the league starting a 3 or 4 season span where he didn’t miss a game. Here’s to hoping Stafford gets over the injury bugs & has a long, productive career. Lions fans certainly deserve it.

15. TFormation says: Nov 8, 2010 8:08 PM

In spite of what that one guy on the team said, the playoffs are out of the question for the Lions this year. From Stafford/Lions perspective, this year is done. Win as many games as you can this year of course, but not at the risk of re-injuring your QB.
    If Stafford can shake the injury bug, I’m worried for my Bears. Same for if the Lions get an O-line that can block for Stafford.

16. LiberalGuilt says: Nov 8, 2010 8:15 PM

@FireSchwartz – You are a dunce. Go back to commenting on Youtube videos. That was easily the dumbest comment I have read on PFT in a very long time.
    That aside, I don’t know how Detroit’s going to get any better when they’re on the hook for $41 million to a guy that can’t stay healthy. He’s looked great this year when he’s in, but essentially there’s two possibilities: either he’s been injured four times and missed half his starts because he has terrible luck, or because he’s very prone to injury. As a Lions fan I’m pissed about it but I’d lean toward the latter.

17. LiberalGuilt says: Nov 8, 2010 8:16 PM

Oh, and Drew Sharp is a trolling gash, and his opinion should never be referenced for anything, ever.

18. coachfee says: Nov 8, 2010 8:30 PM

Stafford DOES take care of his body. However, my sources tell me that he needs to pour all of hard work in the practice facilty into the weight room as well. He is one of those QB’s who really doesn’t lift weights and most QB’s don’t, but most QB’s don’t have his injury problems. He needs to hit that protein and the weight room!!!

19. SterilizeTHenry says: Nov 8, 2010 8:30 PM

Wowww. Lots of dumb comments here.
    Stafford is going to be a beast. You can’t blame him for these injuries. Blame the Lions organization for not drafting him some protection. The kid is taking a beating behind that crap O-line. They could have taken Michael Oher last year but they passed on him for a TE. A TE?!?
    In 2009 they took one offensive lineman (7th round) who is no longer on the team. And in 2010 they took one offensive lineman (4th round). Way to protect your $70 million investment.

20. Philtration says: Nov 8, 2010 8:34 PM

# WonderlicMyBallz says: November 8, 2010 7:57 PM
    ====================================
    So he might be the next Phil Simms… or the next Chris Simms.
    He has talent but he is soft.
    Not mentally soft but physically he just can’t cut it.

21. BuckyBadger says: Nov 8, 2010 8:41 PM

I will take the blame for this one. I was running my mouth in my fantasy leagues saying now that I have a QB that can score I was going to run the table [I have Bradshaw, Foster and McFadden at RB and Wayne, Johnson and Wallace at WR].
    Well this is what I get. Sorry Lions fans. I should now better, every time I start to run my mouth my teams suffers a significant loss.

22. HenryDIII says: Nov 8, 2010 9:01 PM

Can this man stay healthy? There’s a lot of money tied up in that shoulder.

23. LiberalGuilt says: Nov 8, 2010 9:07 PM

@Sterilize…I’ll give you the hit by Peppers in week one…but he just got tripped up running last week against New York. That’s not a protection problem.

24. akuehn713 says: Nov 8, 2010 9:22 PM

The Bills best chance is the Lions?! The Lions are a far better team than the Bills and ask any of their opponents if they are still in the “easy win” category.

25. Fizz says: Nov 8, 2010 9:48 PM

this guy is made of glass

26. Alzado's Vein says: Nov 8, 2010 10:10 PM

The Cardboard Kid is no Brett Favre.

27. JayBot says: Nov 8, 2010 10:19 PM

Considering the Lions’ other options, I don’t think it makes sense to write off Stafford quite yet. Imagine if the Cowboys had dumped Troy Aikman after his first three injury-plagued seasons. I doubt that Steve Walsh, Babe Laufenberg, or Steve Beuerlein would have won three Super Bowls for Dallas. I’m not saying that Stafford is going to be the next Aikman, but since the Lions are already enduring the pain and making the investment in him now, they would be foolish to cut bait before seeing if it might pay off.

28. MooseJaw00 says: Nov 8, 2010 10:19 PM

Yes, the Lions are a better team.
    At Buffalo, without Stafford, it is the Bills best chance.
    Emphasis on the word “chance”.
    No lock-of-the-week, no “easy win”, no ga-run-tee.
    Just a chance.

29. WonderlicMyBallz says: Nov 8, 2010 10:39 PM

@Philtration
    As for Stafford being soft, again you would have said the same thing about Phil Simms 2 years into his career with the track record he had shown up until that point.
    The comparison wasn’t whether he was going to ever be a Phil Simms, or a Chris Simms, it was meant to show that although some QB’s tend to be injury prone early in their pro careers, if they become more weight room dedicated they can absolutely reverse those trends.

30. Mr. Lagoo says: Nov 8, 2010 10:41 PM

Part of being a QB in the NFL is the ability to take hits and keep playing…this guy doesn’t have it. Maybe they can trade for Romo since no one in Dallas wants him…

31. Emoney says: Nov 8, 2010 10:49 PM

Stafford is Glass Joe

32. mcannan4547 says: Nov 8, 2010 11:06 PM

he couldn’t make it through a game if it was s shorts, tee shirts and seven on seven. good luck rock city

33. slickwillie says: Nov 8, 2010 11:15 PM

FireSchwartz is an idiot, and NE49ers is ignorant. Stafford never missed a game in high school or in 3 years of college due to injury.

34. ravens53 says: Nov 8, 2010 11:53 PM

Drew Sharp has nothing good to say about anyone white. He is an A-1 Racist

35. Moose Skyway says: Nov 8, 2010 11:55 PM

What wasn’t written, however, was that Albom did not actually attend this interview and scripted this answer before it occurred.

36. lgwelsh1 says: Nov 9, 2010 12:24 AM

Stafford needs to get in the weight room and bulk up. If he doesn’t get in better football shape he is done and the Lions wasted 76 million dollars.

37. BAtkins63 says: Nov 9, 2010 12:26 AM

No easier work than sitting on your vajayjay collecting checks … welfare moms & Lions QB.

38. Hound Dog says: Nov 9, 2010 8:41 AM

With Rivers on a bye week and this porcelain doll out with yet ANOTHER injury, I’m going to be forced to start Henne in my fantasy team this week. Screw Ford’s $76M, I’ve got $500 on the line here.
    Put your purse down Alice and get in the game!

39. Jack Burton says: Nov 9, 2010 8:43 AM

Stafford and Kolb, yeah I drafted well at QB this year.

40. sthelen45 says: Nov 9, 2010 9:01 AM

Oh come on people. Think Phil Simms, Aikman, Brees, even Bradford. It is a huge bummer that Staff keeps getting hurt, but I’m betting he has surgery in the affseason, a la the aforementioned Bradford. I’m not saying it’ll solve all problems, but it just may. Remember Bradford didn’t have surgery initially and didn’t make it far after he came back the first time. Then he had surgery and he has looked pretty good. Just hoping the same can be done for Staff as he is very talented when healthy.

41. umrguy42 says: Nov 9, 2010 9:29 AM

As a Rams fan, I gotta warn the Bills fans – I thought the Rams had a good chance to go into Detroit with Stafford out, and maybe get that elusive third win in a row (and first road win) for the season, and, well, 44-3 happened. At least for the Bills the game’s IN Buffalo…

42. FireSchwartz says: Nov 9, 2010 9:38 AM

Lions should pay him the rest of his bonus money and release him and start scouting QB’s in 2011 Draft. Hope he takes up drinking purple drank and ends up in prison.

43. slickwillie says: Nov 9, 2010 10:39 AM

This website is truly blessed to have the insightful commentary of FireSchwartz.

44. dirty ernie says: Nov 9, 2010 10:44 AM

Here’s a possibility: Stafford misses another three four games, comes back and re-injures his shoulder again.
    Can’t convince me this isn’t in the back of the minds of the coaching staff right now. As in what else can happen to us?

45. NE49ers says: Nov 9, 2010 6:17 PM

Slickwillie, CHILD PLEASE! I guess I was watching Joe Cox finish games for some other quarterback at UGA.