Braylon Edwards has a few scores to settle in Cleveland

The city of Cleveland’s distaste for all things Braylon Edwards is well documented.  With Edwards ready to return to town this week, the Jets receiver made it clear the feelings are mutual.

“I remember the comments, I remember the writers, I remember the fans, I remember the coaches, I remember the people in the organization,” Edwards told Bob Glauber of Newsday. “I remember everything and everybody there that had something to say when 17 exited the doors.”

(Warning: the link is to a subscription site. But we’re one of the 38 — and rising — subscribers.)

Edwards’ trade to the Jets has worked out for both sides.  “17’s” self-centered approach wouldn’t work on Eric Mangini’s Browns.  Edwards seems to make a bone-headed mistake every game in New York, but he’s been productive this year with 453 and five scores.

He’s desperately hoping to add a sixth touchdown this Sunday.

“I’m going to have to control myself, because at the end of the day, it’s a bitter rivalry,” Edwards said.  (Is he saying Edwards vs. Cleveland is a bitter rivalry? Jets-Browns doesn’t exactly have a rich history.)

“For the people that don’t like me, I share the same feeling. I don’t like them as well. I could give you a B.S. answer, but the short and skinny of it is that I’m going back there to handle business.”

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Braylon Edwards has a few scores to settle in Cleveland”
  1. Bdrunk says: Nov 9, 2010 10:24 AM

Don’t forget to check in with your P.O.

2. BBB82 says: Nov 9, 2010 10:26 AM

Edwards is quite the talker. He really just needs to play the game and shut up.

3. Phil Wright says: Nov 9, 2010 10:26 AM

“For the people that don’t like me, I share the same feeling. I don’t like them as well.”
    I’m flattered that Braylon even knows who I am.

4. David says: Nov 9, 2010 10:29 AM

“I remember everybody and everything that had something to say when 17 exited the doors.” Shut up dude. You don’t get to call yourself by your number, you’re not even the best WR on your own team.

5. clevefan4life says: Nov 9, 2010 10:29 AM

We remember you too Braylon. If only you’d went Ohio State. We would of forgave you for all your drops and shi**y ME attitude. (I’m joking of course with the Ohio State ref. We don’t care where you played college ball)

6. dybzinski says: Nov 9, 2010 10:29 AM

“I’m going back there to handle business.”
    That would be a first for him in Cleveland. Scissorhands couldn’t handle anything where he had time to think. What a jackass, and he still has no clue.

7. nohio says: Nov 9, 2010 10:30 AM

I hope the Braylon that wore a Browns uni shows up Sunday. 5-6 drops will be nice.

8. kupski says: Nov 9, 2010 10:32 AM

Bring it Biotch!
    You can have your TEE DEEEE but Cleveland will take the win and send your sorry Meat Chicken ass back home crying. Hey maybe post game you can assault someone?

9. ogksjk says: Nov 9, 2010 10:32 AM

I remember all the drops.

10. PAYDAMAN says: Nov 9, 2010 10:34 AM

The guy just doesn’t get it. The Browns have moved on and forgotten all about you. Hey Braylon, nobody cares about you!

11. savocabol1 says: Nov 9, 2010 10:34 AM

As a Browns fan I can assure you that the reason we don’t like braylon isn’t because he is a michigan guy or because he is a self centered a-hole (i mean we put up with lebron for a few years…), we don’t like him because besides one year he CANT CATCH THE BALL. he had more drops then anyone during his span with Cleveland. Explain that one number 17.

12. Barius Maximus says: Nov 9, 2010 10:34 AM

Braylon Edwards doesn’t like me and I don’t like him. Now that that is all finally out in the open, I don’t think the Browns are scared by Hands of Stone “going back there to handle business.” LT going for a buck and a half on the ground, that is a concern, but not 17 coming to get revenge, that is almost laugh out loud funny. 17 gets 2 catches for under 20 yards and no score is my prediction for his stat line after the game.

13. Boom Boom says: Nov 9, 2010 10:35 AM

Dear T.J. Ward
    When you see #17 on Sunday or Smell his “New York Essence” getting near please crush that fool. I will chip in $10 for the fine.

14. Steelerschick43 says: Nov 9, 2010 10:37 AM

It’s a sad day when I say I”m a Browns fan this sunday…but it just shows how much I can’t stand the J-E-T-S….JETS! JETS! JETS!!!
    I hope the Browns embarrass them!!! Go Brownies!!!

15. SliKRiK says: Nov 9, 2010 10:39 AM

@ Bdrunk
    Bdrunk says: November 9, 2010 10:24 AM
    “Don’t forget to check in with your P.O.”
    LMAO! Good one!

16. js136202 says: Nov 9, 2010 10:39 AM

Braylon Edwards has done the exact same thing for New York that he did for Cleveland, get paid a lot, distract the team with his me-first attitude, and ultimately not live up to his tremendous skills.
    He will be praying to get a TO-like deal after this year from the type of teams who waste time with TO. There isn’t a person in Cleveland that misses him.

17. ErikInHell says: Nov 9, 2010 10:41 AM

May he drop as many hemorrhoids as he did passes for the Browns.

18. steelerdynasty says: Nov 9, 2010 10:41 AM

and i bet all the 140lb and under Clevelanders are quaking in their very boots this moment….clown

19. 8dollarbeer says: Nov 9, 2010 10:46 AM

Edwards didn’t handle any business when he was a Brown. What makes him think he scares anybody saying hes gonna come back and handle his business?? Spent many a sunday afternoon in Clevland Browns Stadium watching him drop balls,block no oneand have a bad case of alligator arms when goin accross the middle. The only business I ever watched him “handle” was beating up on leBron’s 5’6″ little douchey weasel buddy and get a DUI.

20. Jon says: Nov 9, 2010 10:47 AM

Imagine that, Braylon Edwards still running his mouth. If he did less talking and less dropping, fans in Cleveland would have embraced him. Look at some of the fan fav’s in Cleveland (Cribbs, Joe Thomas, Peyton Hillis, TJ Ward) they all show up ready to play instead of running their mouths.

21. HarrisonHits says: Nov 9, 2010 10:48 AM

“I’m going back there to handle business.”
    If by that he means “I’m going back there to drop another 3 or 4 passes that I should have caught” I think he’ll be successful.

22. TXYoungGuns82 says: Nov 9, 2010 10:51 AM

Bitter Rivalry refers to the following:
    Edwards Vs. Browns
    Mangini Vs. Jets
    Rex Vs. Rod
    Sanchez Vs. McCoy (AKA Mexico Vs. Texas)

23. Ice says: Nov 9, 2010 10:53 AM

Careful guys… if you make Braylon mad he may hit your littlest friend.

24. Dayton Dolfan says: Nov 9, 2010 10:55 AM

I htink he is saying the People of the State of Ohio vs. Edwards, Braylon is a bitter rivalry. i wonder if his probation officer will be at the game.

25. bigtroutak says: Nov 9, 2010 10:56 AM

Mr. Edwards meet Mr. Ward

26. CounterIntuitive says: Nov 9, 2010 10:58 AM

B17, I hope you get to know our good buddy TJ43.

27. go big green says: Nov 9, 2010 11:00 AM

i really want to see Sanchez doing a slow clap the next time Braylon screws something up

28. oldschool71 says: Nov 9, 2010 11:03 AM

OH-IO
    michigan SUCKS and so do the jets.
    yo BRICK HANDS after the game let’s go drinking and beat up some little people.
    loser.

29. zabam says: Nov 9, 2010 11:03 AM

It may not be an ongoing rivalry – but one of the greatest games ever was the 1986 Browns-Jets playoff game. The Browns came back from 10 points down with 2 minutes to go to tie it up, and won in double overtime.
    As for Edwards, he’s an ass wipe. He was embraced by Cleveland until he proved himself an utter failure, and than rather than acknowledging that his poor play put him in the dawg house, blamed it on his being from Michigan. Cleveland accepts players from Michigan – Leroy Hoard and Thom Darden to name a couple that come to mind. Edwards can’t accept responsiblity for his own actions – whether on a football field, in a courtroom, or standing in front of a mirror with a razor and can of shaving creme. He can’t even come up with his own anti-Cleveland rant – rather, he steals from letraitor’s “I remember everybody” comments. I know letraitor, Braylon, and you’re no letraitor. You’re a leloser. You may remember us, but we’re glad to have forgotten you.

30. jets are stacked says: Nov 9, 2010 11:09 AM

Id like to thank the browns for trading us braylon. You guys may hate him, but he has been a monster for the jets this season and has made impact td catches in 5 of the jets 6 wins. No way the jets are where they are without him. I can’t wait to see him tear up the browns this Sunday.

31. extreme469 says: Nov 9, 2010 11:10 AM

this clown really believes he is an elite receiver…how delusional….t.j. ward, please drill this jerk sunday.

32. tudefit says: Nov 9, 2010 11:11 AM

What a load of crock. He led the league in dropped passes and yet said people booed the drops because he was from Michigan. I liked the guy for a long time but when he started with his lunatic ravings against the fans and the team, he lost me.
    This guy is a bitter man who doesn’t hold himself accountable for anything. Could care less what his thoughts are. There are a lot of players who are no longer in Cleveland and the fans still like and respect them. He ain’t one of them.

33. BroncosFan says: Nov 9, 2010 11:12 AM

If there’s a lockout, I predict this will be Edwards’ last year as a starting WR in the league. He rested on his laurels after the ’07 season and consequently went practically AWOL for close to two years. Give him pro bowl consideration and an extra-long layoff and he’s very likely to let himself go.

34. BrownsTown says: Nov 9, 2010 11:12 AM

But he still has a soft spot in his heart for the local gay bars…..allegedly.

35. petro says: Nov 9, 2010 11:13 AM

Edwards is over inflated NY hype. I’m looking forward to seeing Peyton Hillis go up against the Jets D. This will be a real physical game, Edwards’ drops not withstanding.

36. moolah954 says: Nov 9, 2010 11:24 AM

this is Cleveland were having this conversation about right??? who cares if Cleveland embraces you that city blows chunks anyways….. stick to whining about Lebron and Art Modell

37. blastfurniss says: Nov 9, 2010 11:24 AM

To show he means business, BE intends to punch Reggie Hodges the Browns punter during pre-game drills.
    I don’t condone helmet to helmet hits but if someone wants to go James Harrison on Braylon this week I’ll chip in on paying the fine.

38. ravenfan820 says: Nov 9, 2010 11:25 AM

On Sunday I will be a Browns fan…(and I know Browns fans have no use for Ravens fans) but this guy needs a spanking…..
    furhter he hasn’t done anything in the league to refer to himself in the thrid person….”17″….
    GO BROWNS (this Sunday)

39. TheSleepness says: Nov 9, 2010 11:29 AM

browns & jet fans…enough sorrow to bottle & sell.

40. Go Browns says: Nov 9, 2010 11:30 AM

“17” can catch all the td passes he wants, just as long as we win the game.

41. dbartdog says: Nov 9, 2010 11:36 AM

Nobody, but nobody was more pissed when Mangini traded Edwards…the guy has talent, no doubt…but, since the trade I’m seeing what Mangini is doing and quite frankly, BE could never fit in with his scheme…selfless players, playing team ball. I’m no longer pissed about BE getting traded…he’s too much a distraction.

42. jpyetman says: Nov 9, 2010 11:40 AM

The Channing Crowder on the other side of the ball.
    Blah Blah Blah Dropped Pass
    Blah Blah Blah Attacks 140 pound guy
    Blah blah Blah DUI
    Blah Blah Blah My QB hasn’t earned the right to talk.
    Blah Blah Blah
    Funny when the season is over and another team (the Jets) passes on him and doesnt offer him a contract.

43. overkil2 says: Nov 9, 2010 11:44 AM

“savocabol1 says:
    November 9, 2010 10:34 AM
    (i mean we put up with lebron for a few years…),

That’s funny. You put up with Lebron?v Let’s see, he made your crappy team releveant again. The team’s value skyrocketed the in the 7 years that he was there. Are you still pissed because he realized that he was never going to win a championship in Cleveland? How does it feel to be stuck at .500 right now?

44. hazi59 says: Nov 9, 2010 11:45 AM

What a joke Braylon Edwards is. This guy really thinks he is Jerry Rice or something. Dude couldn’t catch herpes from a Thai Whorehouse! Learn to catch a ball and accomplish something on the field before you open those man-pleasers of yours you call lips.

45. Dawg4Life says: Nov 9, 2010 11:46 AM

Funny he doesn’t remember all the dropped passes. Once a fool always a fool

46. Sanchize says: Nov 9, 2010 11:52 AM

Braylons a world class citizen…
    seriously, it isnt in his job description to be a decent guy, so lay off the personal comments, its pretty irrellevant what kind of a dude he is.
    J E T S

47. dlmcc0909 says: Nov 9, 2010 11:59 AM

Im not a fan of either team and I think Braylon Edwards needs to shut up. He has no one to blame but himself for being shipped out of town. His terrible hands and his off field drama are his own doing. Its always someone else with him. This is the same clown who last week said Sanchez shouldnt be complaining when he drops the ball.

48. DCPowerGator says: Nov 9, 2010 12:01 PM

zabam – great post, that 86 playoff game was an epic. steve everitt was another popular brown who wore the maize and blue.

49. Ryan says: Nov 9, 2010 12:02 PM

Good lord. Sure is a lot of talk from a guy that has been average at best as a WR. He had ONE, ONE good season since he’s been in the NFL. I pray the Browns secondary shuts this guy down. What doesn’t this guy understand??? We didn’t embrace him because he couldn’t hold onto the ball. I could give a rats ass where he played college. No other Browns fan cared either. He played like crap after the ’07 season. That’s why the Browns fans didn’t embrace him, plain and simple. Oh wait, we didn’t like his “NY type of essence.” WTF does that even mean???!!!

50. mwcarolina says: Nov 9, 2010 12:04 PM

so Braylon Edwards STILL hasnt grown up, this is a business and if you dont produce in this business, you get traded. Why Edwards THINKS he’s been mistreated by Cleveland is beyond me, but hasnt he heard of the line grow up and move on?? that’s what he should do, he’s a Jet now.

51. Ryan says: Nov 9, 2010 12:08 PM

I wouldn’t even mind seeing Ward get suspended for knocking this fool out of the game! Nothing career ending, just knocked the hell out!!!!

52. silky says: Nov 9, 2010 12:26 PM

maybe the “rivalry” he’s referring to is Rex facing Rob or Mangini facing the Jets…

53. Zinn says: Nov 9, 2010 12:40 PM

There is a good case for Edwards being the jets MVP season.
    People are wrong about Edwards attitude. He is all team 1st. He was one of the hardest workers on the team and one of the most unselfish players on game day. His blocking is outstanding which helps the Jet run game considerably. But more important he is the only Ket that stratches the field. He plays smart and has broken up a number of INTs and has drawn a number of huge PI calls by using his body position to draw the calls. He leads the team in elast dropped passes.
    Without Edwards the Jets would likely be a 2 win team this year. The man shows up every play. I know he had problems in Cleveland but he does not have those in NY. The only bad thing Edwards has done has been making some poor comments with the media. He does not sound like the smartest guy in the world. But the effort is there. the question is will the effort be there next year after he gets his contract this off season.

54. CoastalCarolina87 says: Nov 9, 2010 12:46 PM

We’ll all see what he is really made of. He is now talking the talk. It’s time to back it up. He probably has the size, speed, and talent to do so. The question is, Does he have the heart and the smarts?? This is his BIG chance. No drops. No fumbles. If you think you’re THE MAN, show me. It’s up to you Braylon. Show everyone what your made of.

55. jbrownsjockitch says: Nov 9, 2010 1:12 PM

I’m just trying to figure out why Braylon has so much anger and is dwelling on Brian Sipe leaving? That is the only memorable Brown in recent history to wear #17 you turd! A true sign of a arrogant douche is one that speaks of themselve in the 3rd. person. AKA :Lequitter.
    PS- Santa if you read this: I have been a good boy this year and all I really want for x-mas is for TJ. Ward to knock this chump out> (and of course Pig Ben & beat the squeelers) if you have any extra presentsleft! Go Browns!

56. gregjtmarlin says: Nov 9, 2010 1:22 PM

This dude is your consummate fake tough guy. T.J. Ward is going to hit this kid in his mouth and we’ll see who’s tough.

57. GNYJ85 says: Nov 9, 2010 1:50 PM

Browns are the Jets, but a few years ago when we were wack.. Stuckey..Bowens..Coleman..Barton..Elam..Ratliff…”Mangenious” HA! They wouldnt even make the Jets practice squad.

58. jcjets says: Nov 9, 2010 1:50 PM

Edwards is a better receiver than any receiver on the browns.

59. granadafan says: Nov 9, 2010 2:12 PM

I’d be mad if I had to live in Cleveland too. What a dump. That said, Braylon really ought to keep his mouth shut. Talking smack to the fans and former team is for losers. Move on. I hope the Browns D really lays him out.

60. OuibeJazz says: Nov 9, 2010 3:22 PM

First of all THREE CHEERS FOR ZABAM! Yeah, boye-e-e-e-e-e!…Secondly, if Mr. Edwards is coming to Cleveland to “handle his business”, I’m not sure he would know how seeing as how he rarely did previously. But if he does, does that mean he’ll be dropping balls and getting a DUI on his way to the club to beat up on some “small” dude? I’m not sayin…I’m just sayin!

61. TD40 says: Nov 9, 2010 3:40 PM

jcjets says:
    November 9, 2010 1:50 PM
    Edwards is a better receiver than any receiver on the browns.
    ————————————————-
    Well he sure as hell wasn’t better than anyone they have when he was still in Cleveland. That’s when he couldn’t catch, remember? Do you keep an expensive, “star” receiver who shows, over a period of a couple years, that he can’t catch? I don’t give a shit if he catches now- he sure as hell couldn’t in Cleveland. Seems like the recievers they have now *can* catch. Huh.
    Not to mention that the Browns are the type of team who would rather have guys with good team attitudes who progress and become better than have a guy who’s already a “star” (hack) WR who also happenes to be a dumb-as-bag-of-hammers, self-centered, world class asshole.

62. brasho says: Nov 9, 2010 3:41 PM

Of course there’s a bitter rivalry, it really started on the first ever Monday Night Football game… and that’s the last game between the two I care to remember.

63. orangeandbrown85 says: Nov 9, 2010 4:07 PM

@jbrownsjockitch-that was TOO funny, man. This is the guy who, when he had a great year in 07, led the fans cheering while he was on the sidelines and we were playing the Bengals. He had a huge game, and people loved him. Plus most people recognize he did a lot of charity work here. The fans DID love him. But when he cried for a new contract, didn’t get it, and responded by dropping passes and costing us games they turned on him. Who wouldn’t? I really hope Sheldon Brown or T’J Ward lay his punk ass out.
    OH, and to granadafan-go screw yourself, a–hole. What grand city are you from that is so much better than Cleveland? Better question-have you even been here? Probably not.

64. Muck Fodell says: Nov 9, 2010 8:54 PM

The only part of Braylon that may catch something this Sunday is that ridiculous-ass shrub growing off of his chin.
    Looks like he has his “Al Qaeda Essence” down pat.
    Stay classy, jack@ss…

65. OLDCRACKER says: Nov 9, 2010 9:29 PM

I don’t advocate dirty play or intentionally hurting someone. However, football is a rough game, and should someone hit BE hard enough to put him out of the game, or at least break his freaking jaw, I would be glad to send in a donation to assist with any fine levied by the NFL.
    As a recently retired Army vet w 30+ yrs of service, I have traveled the world, several times over. As a long-haul trucker now, I often have to go into some of the worst industrial areas of many of America’s cities. While Cleveland will never be on anyone’s top ten list of places to visit, I have seen areas a lot worse. Cleveland is just another victim of the “global economy.”

66. ShadyLampz says: Nov 10, 2010 1:40 AM

“I’m going back there to handle business.”
    That would be the first time you would have ever “handle business” in Cleveland. I remember You and Derick Anderson on the late shows talking about how good you both were… That is so freakin’ hilarious these days. Both of you are delusional.