Chad Ochocinco no longer sees double teams as a compliment

Anyone who watched Monday Night Football could see how much Chad Ochocinco was getting frustrated.

Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth yelled at him at one point, and coach Marvin Lewis had to take Ochocinco out for a few plays to settle him down.  Ocho was also called for a delay of game penalty after spiking the ball (The Steelers didn’t accept the penalty.)

While Terrell Owens is on pace to reach seemingly unreachable contract incentives, Ochocinco is on pace for 946 yards.

“It’s not flattering because they do the same thing every week,” Ochocinco said via the Cincinnati Enquirer.  “It doesn’t become flattering, it becomes frustrating. You have to put yourself in my shoes. To go week in and week out, to take 85 away and not do anything. It’s not a compliment not after Week 9.”

Ochocinco was calm after the game, half-joking that he could cry.  Carson Palmer spoke with his nominal “No. 1″ option after the loss to his settle things down.  The Ocho may go to desperate measures to change his 2010 story.

“Tell [Dick] LeBeau to give me a break,” Ochocinco said. “I just want to be available. That [bleep] is frustrating. I need to give him a call.”

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Chad Ochocinco no longer sees double teams as a compliment”
  1. PittsburghSteelerz says: Nov 9, 2010 11:45 AM

Oh man, LeBeau. I can’t get open while playing your defense. Please let Will Gay cover me a few times so I can get some stats too. Or else, I might cry.
    Sincerly, 85

2. Reginald says: Nov 9, 2010 11:46 AM

I’m sure race has something to do with this too.

3. daganjasmoke says: Nov 9, 2010 11:47 AM

Imagine how much he’d be crying if he wasn’t doubled with these numbers..

4. southFLAsteel says: Nov 9, 2010 11:47 AM

“Tell [Dick] LeBeau to give me a break,” The Ocho said. “I just want to be available. That (bleep) is frustrating. I need to give him a call.”
    What you need to do is RETIRE! The most overrated washed up “player” in the league. Oh, and the crybaby routine has grown old as well. Just accept the fact that every time you face the STEELERS, you are going to get shut down, and deal with it. You know, like a FREAKIN’ GROWN MAN!!!

5. blester01 says: Nov 9, 2010 11:53 AM

I feel sorry for the guy. He has a moron for an offensive coordinator that cannot figure out how to beat a cover two nor get the ball to Chad even when double teamed. Magically the Colts and Eagles are able to do this every damn week.
    I would be frustrated as hell too if I was just used as bait at my job as well.

6. burntorangehorn says: Nov 9, 2010 11:54 AM

So I have the board game, Settlers of Catan. It’s pretty fun. I’m usually really good at finding and exploiting loopholes in the rules or weaknesses in other people’s tendencies, which usually means I’m pretty good at board games, and Catan has been no exception.
    About two years ago, the now-ex started warning guests about me, and getting them to gang up, give each other good deals, shut me out of trading, and generally do everything possible to stop me from winning. At first I took it as a compliment, but eventually it wore very thin. I still won a game here and there, but it was very frustrating to invariably play the best strategy of all the players, yet lose because of alliances and collusion.
    The point: Ochocinco is doing pretty well for all the double-teams he’s getting, but he has good reason to be unhappy. He’s watching Owens benefit from the defenses’ dilemma of whom to cover, while 85 isn’t having much fun. But it’s well within the rules, it’s a sign of respect for 85′s abilities, and 85 is going to have to learn to live with it until he’s no longer worthy of constant double-teams.

7. truegrinder80 says: Nov 9, 2010 11:56 AM

Someone needs to FINALLY break it to this guy that he isn’t ANY GOOD, never has been! The TRUTH HURTS!

8. florio4prez says: Nov 9, 2010 11:56 AM

WAH! WAH! WAH!
    That’s simply life as you know it against the Stillers, 85. Take a look at your career numbers against us. (They’re very, very small, so I’ll give you a minute to try to find them.)
    85, in case you’ve never heard this before, it’s a team game. You’re freaking team almost pulled off an incredible comeback win against a very good team.
    But I guess in your mind your team would have done it if only they had gotten you the ball more than once. Oh, sorry, they did get it to you twice but a holding penalty and your boo-hooing negated the other catch.
    BTW 85, thanks for the belly laughs last night. I’ve never seen a guy take himself out of an NFL game to go boo-hoo on the sidelines. Can’t wait for more laughs the rest of the season as 81 mentors you on all things football and your team sinks further into NFL obscurity.

9. The Hogster says: Nov 9, 2010 11:56 AM

Maybe getting open would help. You can’t double Owens, because he beats the double team and Ocho can’t be covered consistently with one guy.
    On the other hand, you can take Ocho out of the game with a double team. It’s a no brainer Chad. Until you start beating double teams, you will be doubled every week.

10. dldove77 says: Nov 9, 2010 11:58 AM

It’s worth noting that the Steelers didn’t accept the delay of game penalty because they accepted a different penalty on the same play. They weren’t just being generous.

11. HarrisonHits says: Nov 9, 2010 12:03 PM

“To go week in and week out, to take 85 away and not do anything. It’s not a compliment not after Week 9.”
    Welcome to Randy Moss’ world. You don’t get to do many celebration dances when you’re a decoy.

12. redscare says: Nov 9, 2010 12:05 PM

If I was him, I’d be frustrated too – anyone would be.
    Don’t know what it is, but the Bengals have to find a way to make other teams pay for doubling Ochocinco. T.O. is playing well enough to start drawing more attention, but the only way to spring Chad is to find a new ace up their sleeve – a tight end or runner, maybe. Target the extra guys going with Chad, run short routes where the extra guy would otherwise be. Something. It’s probably their only hope.

13. XLI says: Nov 9, 2010 12:08 PM

Can we start calling him Chad Johnson again?
    I can’t believe respectable Sports Journalists/Commentators fell for that Ochocinco garbage. You’d think at least 1 or 2 Gurus would just refuse to call him by his “Stage Name”.
    One of the most overrated WRs in the NFL. How he made the Pro Bowl last year is a mystery when at least 15-20 WRs had better years.

14. NFL_1974 says: Nov 9, 2010 12:10 PM

Another case of “its all about me” syndrome.
    Players like Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens dont care if the team wins as long as they look good. They would rather look good losing than look bad winning.

15. Bdrunk says: Nov 9, 2010 12:14 PM

Chad’s a riot! Understandable he’s frustrated, he’s a competitor and wants to win. It’s not like he sucks now this year. Bungles would be a lot better if they can get their underneath game going, and that should open 85 up a bit more.

16. poodawg says: Nov 9, 2010 12:17 PM

This is a ploy. A calculated plan.
    See, this is technically his last contract year, with the Bengals having one more in 2011 as an “option”.
    Owens only signed for one year, so, really, all he has to do is behave and continue to get good numbers and somebody else will want him next year.
    The only way Ocho can leave for another team is if the Bengals don’t take the option of having him around – and the best way to do that is to become a serious distraction for the team.
    Expect his antics to become worse.

17. Iron Wolf says: Nov 9, 2010 12:21 PM

No one in recent memory has backed his words up less.

18. joetoronto says: Nov 9, 2010 12:24 PM

Cry me a river, you selfish crybaby.
    If Owens was on the other end, he’d be crying too.
    Two peas in a pod.

19. Sam says: Nov 9, 2010 12:31 PM

I have always been a fan of Chad, he plays the game well and is a likable guy off the field. I do not blame him at all for being frustrated. To all you losers who keep saying he’s washed up and overrated, if he’s all those things then why do your teams continue to double him? Yes Chad is not the player he once was, but neither is Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, or even Batman himself. I think the doubles will start to drift away from him after last nights game, the defenses strategy was to make Carson throw to TO because they probaly aren’t on the same page yet, but after last night you can see thats not the case anymore. So maybe in the coming weeks we will see the Chad of old. Keep it up 85, im pulling for you!

20. kowboydmac says: Nov 9, 2010 12:35 PM

I dont get why people are knocking Ocho as being overrated or “sucking”. Why would he be double covered by one of the premier defenses in the league if he sucked? Logic has to play some point in some of these posts.

21. dbartdog says: Nov 9, 2010 12:41 PM

Johnson hurts the team…then they sign Owens…the team gets even worse…hmmm…what’s the correlation. PS…Browns traded BE…now they’re looking better.

22. PriorKnowledge says: Nov 9, 2010 12:42 PM

I understand the frustration. We all do (except for the haters). He still has talent. Not fair that they only double-team Ocho, while letting Owens catch all those passes. It may be a complement, but it can be frustrating as hell. He is good enuf to draw the double-team, but not quite good enuf to beat it. Nor does he have the super accurate QB that can pin-point against a slightly loose double-team.
    Good offensive linemen have the same problem. They start complaining about the constant double-teaming also. They can’t make their incentives. When it is a complement issue, it is acceptable. When it starts impacting your wallet, it becomes frustrating.

23. In & Out Burger says: Nov 9, 2010 12:42 PM

Well, I’m sure if you just ask nicely, all those other mean teams will stop covering you and allow you to go one on one with their worst nickel back so you can get on the highlight reel.

24. CollegeToPros says: Nov 9, 2010 12:52 PM

I have to laugh at idiots who say Moss and Ocho are done and yet have a safety over the top of them ALL GAME.
    Yea lets cover a guy who sucks with extra coverage. that makes sense. morons.

25. Steelerschick43 says: Nov 9, 2010 1:00 PM

Ohco…if you cant run with the big dogs….stay on the porch!!!

26. dbartdog says: Nov 9, 2010 1:06 PM

Kowboymac….no wonder your Boys suck…with fans like you, mediocrity rules.

27. ForrestGump says: Nov 9, 2010 1:08 PM

STFU 85.
    First the Steelers hit too hard and the rest of the league cries.
    Now what do you want, a rule change so the Steelers can’t double you?
    / Waaahaahaahaaaa it’s not faaaair…

28. Steeler-hatred-is-funny says: Nov 9, 2010 1:12 PM

kowbodmac Because he is overrated!
    The guy has never made a big catch in a big game in his entire life!

29. riverhorse says: Nov 9, 2010 1:21 PM

# blester01 says: November 9, 2010 11:53 AM
    I would be frustrated as hell too if I was just used as bait at my job as well.
    blester cries just like Ocho
    Franky I never saw a player melt down like that on the field. Guy was acting like a child.

30. riverhorse says: Nov 9, 2010 1:31 PM

no offense Chad but T.O. was catching balls in double coverage last night. What’s your excuse?

31. jaypeso says: Nov 9, 2010 1:37 PM

people if he wasn’t any good they wouldn’t be doubling him, make sense

32. We will see you in Dallas Feb.6 says: Nov 9, 2010 1:51 PM

Owens is reaching is contractual bonus’s that were performance laden , no wonder he’s so quite , Is anyone really surprised with this cry-baby S–t… Only in Bungal land….

33. the_chosen says: Nov 9, 2010 1:58 PM

ClownOstinko…

34. formerly dystopianow says: Nov 9, 2010 2:16 PM

In & Out Burger says:
    —-
    The 49ers tried that, and I think it’s obvious how it turned out.. BTW it’s In-N-Out burger, not in & out.

35. Maddog says: Nov 9, 2010 2:47 PM

The number one receiver on every team is going to face double teams. Chad has been facing double teams for years. He’s just shot.

36. melikefootball says: Nov 9, 2010 2:47 PM

Watching the game he showed his true self always wanting a flag when ball thrown his way, actually pouting and jumpin on palmer because he doesn’t get the ball for his stats. He is the altimate me,me,me,me guy. The bengals should be happy for one thing Chad did–got TO there. He did make plays though he showed signs of the Chad desease, pointing finger at Palmer. Bungles will get better when Chad and his radio show are gone.

37. Ska4Life says: Nov 9, 2010 2:53 PM

The same thing that makes some of these athletes great, also makes them crave attention. They NEED to be the best, and in this case Chad NEEDS to showcase his skills, especially if the team isn’t winning.
    I’m not sure how much longer he can handle giving T.O. all the stats…if the Bengals don’t turn it around somethings going to blow up in Cincy.