Ray Rice avoids ticket with autograph

On Monday, Ravens running back Ray Rice posted on Twitter that he had been pulled over by a police officer due to the tinting of the windows in his vehicle.

Rice explained that he didn’t get a ticket after giving the officer an autograph for his son.

The tweet has since been deleted by Rice, but the image has been captured by the folks at InsideCharmCity.com.

We don’t know whether this rises to the level of offering or accepting a bribe, but something prompted Rice to think better of bragging about it.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
31 Responses to “Ray Rice avoids ticket with autograph”
  1. Richm2257 says: Nov 9, 2010 7:39 AM

This s the biggest non-story of the year….. the kind of thing that you wouldn’t have even seen here a year or two ago. It’s not like Rice was trying to get out of a dangerous moving violation, it was a window tint for Pete’s sakes.
    Yes, Rice could easily afford a ticket that might put a dent in the average reader’s budget, yes he was stupid to brag about it on Twitter (I swear, isn’t anyone advising these guys how stupid Twitter is for a public figure?), but come on

2. The Black Cat says: Nov 9, 2010 7:40 AM

I vote “parole violation”

3. joetoronto says: Nov 9, 2010 7:40 AM

Wow, what can you say, even little kids know what shouldn’t be posted on the internet.

4. mikecal645 says: Nov 9, 2010 7:59 AM

If someone gets in trouble for this it is kind of ridiculous. I doubt he would have gotten a ticket unless he was doing something else that warranted a ticket. Probably just stopped him because of the tint then made sure nothing else was a problem and told him about the tint problem and that he needs to get it fixed or he can be ticketed.
    Then after asked for the autograph.
    I’m sure some people will make a big fuss over it though.

5. lamename says: Nov 9, 2010 7:59 AM

If that’s actually what happened, it’s definitely a code of ethics violation.
    NOW, it’s possible that the officer only ever intended to give him a warning, but while plausible, the original story on the record is that there was a quid pro quo.
    Way to mess up an officer letting you off, Rice. Never let a kind deed go unpunished, ya jackwagon.

6. depleted_uranium_balls says: Nov 9, 2010 8:13 AM

Fire that cop.

7. TheCityThatReeds says: Nov 9, 2010 8:32 AM

Dagg there’s a good episode for the 6th season of The Wire right there.

8. east96st says: Nov 9, 2010 8:34 AM

Celebrities get treated differently by the law??? Who knew!

9. eaglesnoles05 says: Nov 9, 2010 8:34 AM

Gotcha! lol funny how people post such things on the internet without thinking. The cop will probably get in trouble now. I’m sure the autograph was worth it.

10. pappyschmiel says: Nov 9, 2010 8:37 AM

Hopefully the officer simply tricked Ray into giving him the autograph on the bottom of the citation.

11. Mr$teve says: Nov 9, 2010 8:40 AM

The police man needs to be suspended. And a good lawyer like Florio, gag, will be able to get any prior major crimes such as DUI’s, drugs, etc set aside and dismissed due to improper conduct by the officer.

12. dunkingonuts says: Nov 9, 2010 8:53 AM

You know for someone who was a lawyer Florio doesn’t know crap about the law.
    It is up to the officer’s descretion whether or not to right the ticket and since this was a minor offense(window tinting) I would venture to guess that a large percentage of those stopped (except in Virginia where cops are A-holes) would be let off.

13. Bdrunk says: Nov 9, 2010 9:03 AM

He’s a local icon. Tinting is not a crime in my opinion. If he can catch a break from a cop on a BS offense like that, then a tip o’ the derby to Mr. Rice.

14. Bdrunk says: Nov 9, 2010 9:04 AM

It’s not like he murdered someone. (predictable I know, couldn’t resist)

15. Nogard13 says: Nov 9, 2010 9:13 AM

Who cares? My mom once got out of a ticket by flirting with the cop and giving him a fake phone number (I was about 10 and in the car). Cops can always opt to give you a warning.

16. steelersmichele says: Nov 9, 2010 9:24 AM

Now I dislike Rice simply for the fact that he plays for the Ravens, but you don’t think this hasn’t happened before? He was just dumb enough to bring it to everyone’s attention.

17. RayLew52 says: Nov 9, 2010 9:48 AM

How can Ray get in trouble for this? How would they even know who the cop was? Ray Rice probably posted it because he realized it wasn’t a big deal. He should repost it on “the twitters.”

18. SwampDog says: Nov 9, 2010 10:29 AM

And this has what to do with Anything? My guess is the Cop Ran his tag, got his info, and pulled him over with the all the meaning in the world to get an autograph.
    Everyone in Bmore knows the Players drive their candy Machines all over town… The tint was just an excuse to bother a man for a signature who wasnt doing ANYTHING WRONG!!!

19. MightyMightyLAFootball says: Nov 9, 2010 10:31 AM

The cop was actually hitting on him…true story.

20. sevenwords says: Nov 9, 2010 10:32 AM

Wonder how many weeks Goodell will suspend him for? Lol.

21. Tonydungysdeadson says: Nov 9, 2010 10:36 AM

Living in Baltimore and having been pulled over for window tints and also having friends that are cops I can guarantee u the worst that ray rice would’ve got was a repair order so everyone calling for this cops head and all that your stupid it must be a slow news dy otherwise we never would’ve heard about this

22. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: Nov 9, 2010 10:53 AM

Who cares? I get out of tickets with my Combat Veteran plate. Guys get out of them for having PBA cards, Law Enforcement Support plates/stickers, etc. It’s as American as apple pie.

23. contract says: Nov 9, 2010 11:02 AM

How do you spend 3 years at Rutgers and come out this stupid?

24. somesome says: Nov 9, 2010 11:05 AM

Tinting in Maryland gets you $70 fix-it ticket everytime, especially if your autograph is worth nothing.

25. Choirdrunk says: Nov 9, 2010 11:22 AM

OMG, what a massive thug!!! He got out of the most minor of violations by doing something nice for a cop’s kid? Disgusting.
    He deserves 10 years minimum for this. Free Maddoff, free OJ, free whoever you need to in order to ensure there is a prison bed for this man.

26. HenryDIII says: Nov 9, 2010 12:22 PM

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool to then to tweet and remove all doubt.

27. tk1966 says: Nov 9, 2010 2:04 PM

I wonder how this will be spun into it being a Steelers getting preferential treatment story?

28. Auzziegirl says: Nov 9, 2010 5:53 PM

I’m famous! I’m famous! I’m famous! A copy just asked me for my autograph! I’m famous! I’m famous!

29. CharmCityRavens says: Nov 9, 2010 6:25 PM

I’ll file this story under: “Twitter may just be the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL.”
    If I was a team owner I’d prohibit any player on my team from having an account. Nothing good has ever come from an athlete’s random musings on their twitter account.

30. jetkiller52rayray says: Nov 9, 2010 8:49 PM

Its actually standard procedure to issue a warning for illeagal tint in the state of Maryland. Car windows must allow at least 35% light through to be legal. Police in MD often carry a meter to gauge the darkness of tint. if it fails they issue a warning or repair order. failure to comply can result in a written citation resulting in a fine which can be reviewed by the court system.

31. Gossamer says: Nov 10, 2010 8:50 AM