The Week Nine hot seat update

We no longer have Wade Phillips to kick around.

But there are other coaches on the hot seat, and it’s time for our weekly look at the guys who are in the most trouble.

Jason Garrett gets a two-week exemption.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “The Week Nine hot seat update”
  1. Jservo says: Nov 9, 2010 1:00 PM

There’s gonna be alot of coaches fired at the end of the year.

2. LuvThatDirtyWatah says: Nov 9, 2010 1:02 PM

Word is Kraft is considering firing Belichick and hiring Mangini.

3. luderiffic says: Nov 9, 2010 1:07 PM

No Del Rio??…dont worry, he will be on this list soon enough

4. Dostovel says: Nov 9, 2010 1:07 PM

Norv Turner should still be up there, SD needs to can his ass.

5. PURP4LYFE says: Nov 9, 2010 1:16 PM

You know who should be on the hot seat?……The NFL and their wishy-washy attitude toward every sunday matters around the league….The definition of a catch changing every week,helmet to helmet hits,bad calls,and lack of a backbone when it comes to real things that need to be punished…ie: spitting in someones face,grabbing the satch,and trying to break a guy’s spinal cord…..I’m not sayin’ ,I’m just sayin’.

6. VikingFan09 says: Nov 9, 2010 1:24 PM

This is where it becomes very important for the media to fire this guy so Wilf follows suit.

7. sergep says: Nov 9, 2010 1:37 PM

Mr. Dropmypantsduringhalftime…is going to thank the rams after they put a whoopin.

8. Yerger22 says: Nov 9, 2010 1:40 PM

I don’t think the rule on a catch changes every week. It’s just a shitty rule. The Foster and CJ TDs were obviously touchdowns. Helmet to helmet is pretty easy too. There are very few players having trouble with it (Harrison) and then we see it happen by accident on a few occassions and it is rightfully called (Nick Collins). Meriweather doesn’t seem to be having a problem making hits, Troy Polamalu made a great, legal hit on MNF in the last minute.
    I’m not sure who tried to break someones spinal cord, I must have missed that. Spitting in someone’s face is disrespectful and he should be fined. But what is more serious, spitting in someones face or having them give you a concussion?

9. Scrodge2010 says: Nov 9, 2010 1:40 PM

McDaniels isn’t going to be fired at the end of the year, NOT because they owe Shanahan money, but because when they allowed him to draft Tebow, they guaranteed him another 3 years to develop him. It’s that simple. Take Mac off the hot seat for the rest of this year, and next.

10. the_chosen says: Nov 9, 2010 1:46 PM

my seat is very hot right now..back to back airbiscuits man..

11. Hauschild says: Nov 9, 2010 1:51 PM

PURP4LYFE:
    I agree completely. The NFL is attempting an ideology that has never, ever worked well in practice; like many bogus theories that look good on paper. I guess the NFL is similar to all the others who have tried it in the past, yet failed; this time, “we know how to make it work.” Yeah, whatever.
    How can a few idiots dare to believe they can alter an average NFL player’s mindset, in all its testosterone-induced glory? It’s almost as if the NFL is attempting to rehabilitate these players. Or, reeducate? What are they, prisoners???
    I’ve said it time and time again – the NFL rose to greatness because it operated for years within its original parameters, but is beginning to show some chinks in its armor (kinda like America), due completely to a few idiots “tinkering” with shit because “they know better”.
    Every generation comes a whole nutha bunch of idiots who believe they can change the world, only to end up messing stuff up that either cripples, or takes years to recover from the damage.
    Nothing lasts forever.

12. kyle lewis says: Nov 9, 2010 1:58 PM

here’s my list in no particular order:
    chan gailey
    eric mangini
    marvin lewis
    jack del rio
    gary kubiak
    josh mcdaniels
    norv turner
    lovie smith
    john fox(already done)
    mike singletary(already done)

13. the_chosen says: Nov 9, 2010 2:00 PM

marvin lewis, josh mcdaniels, chan gailey, jack del rio, brad childress, lovie smith are for sure goners. i say tom cable and eric mangini will also get fired.

14. kellyb91985 says: Nov 9, 2010 2:05 PM

It makes no sense to fire a coach mid season in the NFL. If they are about to fire their coach they are probably already out of it, and if they are out of it, they might as well keep losing games to get an early pick.

15. TN Steeler Fan says: Nov 9, 2010 3:02 PM

@kylelewis
    The only names I would hesitate on are Chan Gailey and Mangini. While still winless, at least the Bills are now competive and not being blown out. Sure, they have some bone headed coaching decisions, but I wonder if their turning the corner is respectibility will save him for a while.
    For the same reason, I think Mangini might be okay. Especially if he comes up with some more big wins like he has. I suspect that Holgrem would like any iota of an excuse to shoot him, but he just might be able to ward off a direct hit one more year.
    I think that Marvin Lewis is a definite goner, likewise for Del Rio and Fox. I’ve been saying for 2 years now that Fox will be replaced by Cowher. He’s living in North Carolina so it would be a nice fit. The Panthers really look bad and have for several years.
    BTW, the Cowboys still suck and so does their owner.

16. winwhenever says: Nov 9, 2010 3:11 PM

You think florio even puts on pants for these? I know I wouldnt.

17. Jag4Life says: Nov 9, 2010 3:17 PM

Jack Del Rio will be-o gone-o.
    Florio, your head is way too big for your body. You little weeble you.

18. The Freak 84 says: Nov 9, 2010 3:31 PM

the_chosen says:
    November 9, 2010 1:46 PM
    my seat is very hot right now..back to back airbiscuits man
    =================================
    How are we supposed to post when you’re over there dropping wolfbane?
    Lmao chosen, thanks for the laugh this afternoon.

19. BayouChief says: Nov 9, 2010 3:39 PM

Where is Kubiak? he is a disaster this team has no heart and the defense is non-existent.

20. TorVikeFan says: Nov 9, 2010 4:05 PM

Childress… given the boot… sooner rather than later… one can only hope!

21. Thor says: Nov 9, 2010 4:06 PM

I’ll comment on Kyle Lewis’ list since he seems to have most of them
    chan gailey–I figure they give him one more year
    eric mangini–only way he goes now is if the Walrus decides he wants to coach
    marvin lewis–The Browns are too cheap.
    jack del rio–Only concern is if ownership wants to save money before they move to L.A.
    gary kubiak–Barring a playoff run, I would agree
    josh mcdaniels–See Chan Gailey…he gets one more year
    norv turner–See Kubiak, Gary
    lovie smith–See Kubiak, Gary
    john fox(already done)–I agree
    mike singletary(already done)–Oh yeah
    Now, let’s assume all of these guys go…who replaces them
    Gailey–some old retread….Brian Billick? Jim Fassel?
    Mangini–Holmgren
    Lewis–Buffalo’s castoff from the retread pile
    Del Rio–Probably an up and coming asst. Rob Ryan?
    Kubiak–He’ll attempt to go for a big name. Gruden maybe.
    McDaniels–I bet he goes for a proven commodity. Gruden, Cowher
    Turner–Hmm. The Chargers never make any sense. Let’s say Jim Harbaugh.
    Smith–I also expect a big splash here. Gruden or Cowher.
    Carolina–Given that Cowher lives in NC, he has always been rumored to go here. However, they don’t have a QB which Cowher wants. Carolina’s owner is also kinda old school. So, a Rob Ryan wouldn’t shock me.
    Singletary–I think they will go offensive coach. Him Harbaugh is a possibility. Gruden maybe considering he coached in Oakland.
    Dallas–Does he go big (Cowher) or does he go with someone who will do what he tells him to do (Garrett)?

22. Jag4Life says: Nov 9, 2010 4:57 PM

@Thor
    NEWSFLASH! 2009 called. It wants its’ tired, old, and stale Jax moving to LA storyline back. Dude, you gotta read more sports news sources than PFT and Florio. You don’t live in Jax nor do you know anything about this team or organization. Sorry to bust your little bubble.

23. Thor says: Nov 9, 2010 8:08 PM

Jag4Life…you need to wake up and realize that you are in the 2nd smallest market in the NFL (Green Bay being the smallest) and do not generate the revenue the other teams do. The only thing you have going for you is that the LA stadium is still about 4-5 years away from completion.

24. Al Davis' 40 Time says: Nov 10, 2010 10:42 AM

PURP4LYFE,
    ————————————————-
    AMEN! I’m glad I’m not the only fan who’s tired of the NFL’s actions this season.