Randy Moss: “I’m not coming here to start no trouble”

After a dramatic week in the NFL, Randy Moss’ first meeting with the media in Tennessee almost slipped under the radar.

Moss didn’t ask and answer his own questions, but we still got some typically classic moments.

“I’m going to give y’all maybe two, not more than three questions, but I just want to start off and let my family know, my momma, my brother, my sister your baby brother, your baby boy is good,” Moss said via Jim Wyatt of the Nashville Tennessean.  “I’ve been through alot in the last couple of weeks.  Like I said, I’ve got these broad shoulders; I can carry a lot of weight.”

Now that’s an introduction.

Moss said that he won’t turn the Titans into a Super Bowl team on his own, and that he’s just focused on one day at a time and learning the plays.  Here’s our favorite exchange of the session:

Reporter: What can the Titans expect from you on a snap-to-snap basis?

Moss: What do you expect from me effort wise?

Reporter: Well other people . . .

Moss: I didn’t say other people, what do you expect from me effort wise?

Reporter: I don’t know what to expect.

Moss: I don’t know what to expect neither, next question.

Moss is predictably unpredictable, even to himself.  He continues to say that the NFL is a business.  Surely he’s a smart enough businessman to know he needs to make this chance work or his free agency value will sink this offseason.

“I didn’t want to go to Minnesota and mess anything up.  I guess everybody blamed me for it,” Moss said.   “I’m going to say it again; I’m not coming here to start no trouble.”

Permalink 102 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
102 Responses to “Randy Moss: “I’m not coming here to start no trouble””
  1. BuckOfama says: Nov 10, 2010 5:17 PM

Great use of the double negative Randy, Your right you are not going to start NO trouble. Maybe you should have had some humble pie from mom and pop shop back in minnesota.

2. ClaysWife says: Nov 10, 2010 5:19 PM

he is a schizo. the end.

3. Contra says: Nov 10, 2010 5:19 PM

Randy Moss: “I’m not coming here to start no trouble”
    ———
    Thats a double negative randy pants! It means you ARE! Well at least you gave Buffalo fair warning.

4. mrcmos says: Nov 10, 2010 5:19 PM

This assclown really has a grasp on the english language, grammar, etc. This is what 4- years of college gets you. DOLT!

5. DenverWally says: Nov 10, 2010 5:20 PM

The guy can’t even say he’ll give full effort on every play? Wow. Randy, you’re quite a piece of work.

6. MotorCityKitties says: Nov 10, 2010 5:20 PM

Very similar to his quote at Marshall University “I’m not coming here to start no learning”. Congrats Titans.

7. sammm says: Nov 10, 2010 5:24 PM

Fixed -
    Randy Moss: “I’m not coming here to start no trouble, not right now at least.”

8. MVP says: Nov 10, 2010 5:24 PM

Well, good start!

9. TweedleDum says: Nov 10, 2010 5:26 PM

Not there to start trouble……that is why he tried to martyr himself and held a 184 second press conference……
    dumba$$

10. Peter Pantsless says: Nov 10, 2010 5:27 PM

Just a prima donna dirtbag that doesn’t really deserve another shot.
    The thing that surprises me the least on this planet is that Randy Moss hasn’t won a Super Bowl.

11. brownsfn19 says: Nov 10, 2010 5:31 PM

You should probably go there to learn how to use the english language…have a little pride in yourself for F sake…

12. ItalianStallion says: Nov 10, 2010 5:31 PM

How does he not know what to expect out of himself? He’s the one with control over it…

13. jackmik says: Nov 10, 2010 5:31 PM

i just came to do the superbowl shuffle.

14. Dr Hannibal Lector says: Nov 10, 2010 5:32 PM

He’s not here…
    To start no trouble….
    He’s just here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle

15. LSD says: Nov 10, 2010 5:33 PM

I am just here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle..uhuh

16. prmpft says: Nov 10, 2010 5:35 PM

…yet, amazingly enough, you WILL…

17. trsean says: Nov 10, 2010 5:36 PM

He’s just here to do the Superbowl Shuffle?

18. Crazydiamond says: Nov 10, 2010 5:36 PM

It’s just too bad all that talent got combined with that idiot mentality. What a waste.

19. INFECTORMAN says: Nov 10, 2010 5:40 PM

the better the opposing cornerback the less the effort, he’s too old and tired to make effort excepting against the shorter slower corners…
    avoided him like the plague in fantasy leagues

20. Lott42 says: Nov 10, 2010 5:41 PM

“…. I’m not coming here to start no trouble.”
    Instant Classic. Go Randy, straight cash homeboy. Proof that money can’t buy class.

21. Citizen Strange says: Nov 10, 2010 5:42 PM

He is one surly S.O.B.

22. John El Way III says: Nov 10, 2010 5:43 PM

Way to keep step n’ fetch alive….Rosa Parks is proud of you Randy.

23. Justin says: Nov 10, 2010 5:44 PM

Criticizing his bad english pretty much means you guys are out of ideas. Everybody speaks bad english.

24. backdapack10 says: Nov 10, 2010 5:45 PM

so is he saying he HAS started trouble at his other stops along the way?
    you would think that a dude that has made millions would have the pride to actually learn the english language and at least try and sound like he’s made it out of the hood.
    he’s a turd!

25. shaggytoodle says: Nov 10, 2010 5:47 PM

While I REALLY don’t think much of Mr. Moss, I believe he does have a valid point about starting trouble in Minnesota, the trouble was all ready brewing quite well the way they started we knew Minnesota didn’t think highly of the coach after Favre came back and comments about respect were made.
    Moss was just the accelerator in that whole soap opera.

26. perm says: Nov 10, 2010 5:47 PM

“He continues to say that the NFL is a business. Surely he’s a smart enough businessman to know he needs to make this chance work or his free agency value will sink this offseason.”
    When was the last time you think Randy Moss made decisions based on his perceived free agent value anyway?

27. Mooch says: Nov 10, 2010 5:50 PM

Dr Hannibal,
    Dammit, I wanted that one!
    Well played.

28. DEMOLITION says: Nov 10, 2010 5:50 PM

What a prick.

29. SB42everyyear says: Nov 10, 2010 5:52 PM

Randy should be the only player other players are allowed to hit helmet to helmet.

30. Ray Guy says: Nov 10, 2010 5:52 PM

“I’m going to say it again; I’m not coming here to start no trouble.”
    ___________________________________
    And you wonder why America is “dumbed down” to the lowest common denominator.
    How did he ever get through grades 1-8, not to mention high school and college?
    Oh wait…

31. RFM says: Nov 10, 2010 5:54 PM

Here, Candy Moss; maybe you’ll learn something.

32. StarrToDowler says: Nov 10, 2010 5:55 PM

Moss: I didn’t say other people, what do you expect from me effort wise?
    Reporter: Not much, actually. Not much. I would say for you to prove me wrong, but of course, you won’t.

33. The Hogster says: Nov 10, 2010 5:58 PM

To all of the Moss haters…he is still a millionaire many times over. Has probably dated hot chicks for the past 15 years, and will go into the Hall of Fame.
    All in all, his life is better than yours.

34. alewatcher says: Nov 10, 2010 6:01 PM

He didn’t come to make no trouble, trouble just kind of happens when Moss is around. It’s a property, like stink on s***.

35. protectthishouse54 says: Nov 10, 2010 6:02 PM

Come on people! You gotta love this guy. hilarious.

36. lol@vick says: Nov 10, 2010 6:07 PM

Moss said. “I’m going to say it again; I’m not coming here to start no trouble.”
    I’m just here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle
    is the missing next lyric here…
    hey, could happen I guess, titans are in 1st place before Moss, but probably not, still would have been funny to hear

37. STLCover2 says: Nov 10, 2010 6:07 PM

I’m pretty sure there’s a special place in hell for grammar nerds who point out double negatives.

38. winslow says: Nov 10, 2010 6:08 PM

Randy Moss: “I’m not coming here to start no trouble”
    Not to nitpick or be a grammar fascist, but shouldn’t that be, “I ain’t coming here to start no trouble?”
    On an unrelated note, I sincerely hope that the Titans’ caterer is Brock Lesnar.

39. Pacifica_Mike says: Nov 10, 2010 6:08 PM

You foolz need to respect Mr. Moss. He’s the 3rd best WR in hiztory (behind Rice and Biletnikov)
    RESPECT 81

40. clevefan4life says: Nov 10, 2010 6:09 PM

I think he is trying to become the first person to play every team in the league in one year..well, close to it.

41. FinFan6886 says: Nov 10, 2010 6:09 PM

Everybody blasting him (with good reason) for butchering the English language should understand one thing…next to his teammate Chris Johnson, Randy Moss sounds like a Rhodes scholar

42. contract says: Nov 10, 2010 6:12 PM

Moss: “What do you expect from me effort wise?”
    I expect you to jog your routes and otherwise drift through every game as if you were doing the Titans a favor just by showing up for the game.
    That reporter doesn’t have any balls.

43. vikings rule says: Nov 10, 2010 6:21 PM

sammm says:
    November 10, 2010 5:24 PM
    Fixed -
    Randy Moss: “I’m not coming here to start no trouble, not right now at least.”
    I’m not coming here to start ANY trouble”
    Not that I give a shit how anyone else speaks

44. HateSycophants says: Nov 10, 2010 6:21 PM

@buckofama,
    Douche bags who expect elocution lessons from professional athletes (basketball players, football players, baseball players, NASCAR drivers) should have their heads shoved right back up their asses.
    Btw, its “you’re,” genius.

45. TheWizard says: Nov 10, 2010 6:22 PM

Now why the hell would anyone expect that out of him?

46. Bailey U says: Nov 10, 2010 6:28 PM

okay, so we’re going to bash him b/c of his double negatives? like every other NFL’er doesn’t speak exactly the same way, if you can understand them at all? please, give the man a chance, he hasn’t even played one game for TN yet. Then you can pick all you want.

47. previouslybannedfromPFT says: Nov 10, 2010 6:29 PM

“He continues to say that the NFL is a business.”
    And Rosie being the contrarian, disagrees?

48. JSpicoli says: Nov 10, 2010 6:29 PM

He is a role model for dousches everywhere.

49. Bailey U says: Nov 10, 2010 6:29 PM

and the reporter is Paul Kuharsky, who really has nothing nice to say about most.

50. lowleadman says: Nov 10, 2010 6:30 PM

Everything Moss has tried to do, namely secure himself a long term contract, has had the opposite effect. It could not have gone worse for him. As a poster said, he is control of what he does. Just not doing a bang up job, are you Randy?
    Shut the pie hole, go out and play like the next play is your last, prove you DESERVE a contract from ANY team next year. To do anything less is to self destruct your career, if that hasn’t already happened.

51. PriorKnowledge says: Nov 10, 2010 6:31 PM

It is a shame that so much talent is controlled by that mind. If he had given full effort on every play, he could have been the best ever.

52. Ray Guy says: Nov 10, 2010 6:35 PM

# Justin says: November 10, 2010 5:44 PM
    _____________________________________
    This one is too easy. Anyone else wish to take a shot at this one?
    I rest my case. (shaking head slowly, wondering where the country went and knowing where it is headed)

53. LuvThatDirtyWatah says: Nov 10, 2010 6:38 PM

I’m not coming here to start no trouble.
    His double negative translates to:
    I’m coming to start trouble.
    Freudian thing?

54. MrSalamander says: Nov 10, 2010 6:39 PM

Hey might sound like a Rhodes Scholar next to Chris,but at least CJ isn’t a TOTAL ASSHOLE. F@#$ Rihanna Moss and her Jake ass yellow play: spin it, “One Clap” it all you want Randy, EVERYONE sees through you, BITCH.

55. TweedleDum says: Nov 10, 2010 6:41 PM

# The Hogster says: November 10, 2010 5:58 PM
    All in all, his life is better than yours.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Lots of people have better lives than mine is, but that doesn’t make them a better person overall. Rush Limbaugh is a perfect example……

56. august says: Nov 10, 2010 6:48 PM

come on guys, double negatives are acceptable! you’re going back to 85 just to prove it!
    And I don’t wanna hear no back talk!

57. HarrisonHits says: Nov 10, 2010 6:49 PM

Wow the grammar Nazi’s are out in force today.
    Oh boo hoo a football player didn’t use perfect English.
    What a bunch of bimbos.
    Not that Moss is easy to defend, but surely you guys can come up with something better than that LOL

58. rarson says: Nov 10, 2010 6:53 PM

I know everyone loves to hate Randy Moss, but honestly, Childress ****ed everything up in Minnesota, not Moss.

59. JDOGG says: Nov 10, 2010 6:54 PM

I know that he slacks on 20% of plays. I know he comes off as a prima donna (sp?). I know he can be immature at best and outright defiant at worst, but I still like the guy. He’s fun! He makes this league interesting, and dude can ball when he wants to. I just hope he wants to give the effort the rest of the season (excluding the KC game). I love to watch the circus catches.

60. Silvino says: Nov 10, 2010 6:55 PM

He’s exactly why getting into the HoF should be about more than just stats.

61. HateSycophants says: Nov 10, 2010 7:00 PM

@buckofama,
    The mentally challenged who expect elocution lessons from professional athletes (basketball players, football players, baseball players, NASCAR drivers) should have their heads shoved right back up their bums (is that better, Roseweed?).
    Btw, its “you’re,” genius.

62. troll_aikman8 says: Nov 10, 2010 7:02 PM

With grammar like Ali G., I think Chris Johnson and/or Vince Young should speak for him.

63. StarrToDowler says: Nov 10, 2010 7:03 PM

The Hogster says:
    November 10, 2010 5:58 PM
    All in all, his life is better than yours.
    Hmmm… if you think that’s what it takes to make someone happy, you need to get out more.
    With his background, he’ll be broke 10 years after he retires from the NFL. To this point, he seems to think the world owes him something because he can catch a football (when he wants to). The world doesn’t owe him, his current team does. And when he no longer has a team who will pay him… no one will. He’s not that good at anything else. A shame, really. But inevitable for someone who thinks he’s entitled.

64. Jack Acid says: Nov 10, 2010 7:13 PM

He ain’t here to start no trouble, he’s just here to do the Tennessee Shuffle…

65. NFLJunkie says: Nov 10, 2010 7:14 PM

Peter Pantsless says:
    November 10, 2010 5:27 PM

Please send your thank you card to David Tyree for helping extend the statute of limitations on Moss slams like this.

66. Tetsuo says: Nov 10, 2010 7:14 PM

One thing is for sure.
    He’s not no idiot.

67. ggdd says: Nov 10, 2010 7:20 PM

He sort of reminds me of iverson when he talks. They both sound like they have a 2nd grade education!

68. Mean D says: Nov 10, 2010 7:20 PM

I agree he is an idiot. But I am a Buccaneers fan and Moss speaks a lot better than our head coach.

69. xStaticOnRadio says: Nov 10, 2010 7:26 PM

He still speaks English better than Rosenthal

70. Pervy *Harvin* says: Nov 10, 2010 7:30 PM

Hard to hate Moss. He makes the rules. I really can’t dislike a fisherman either, got bass game..

71. aaronrodgersisjesus says: Nov 10, 2010 7:30 PM

i love randy moss so much

72. HateSycophants says: Nov 10, 2010 7:31 PM

@StarrToDowler,
    You post as if you’ve actually done some research on the business investments of Mr. Moss. Please, tell us everything you know about him. We’ll wait…

73. pitt says: Nov 10, 2010 7:34 PM

@HatePsychophants
    Hahaha, I was going to say the exact same thing. Minus the Roseweed part.

74. Wes Travis says: Nov 10, 2010 7:49 PM

Come on, Buckofama, if you’re gonna slam on Randy Moss for using the double negative (I was right on it myself), you should make sure to get your own grammar correct.
    I’m sure you meant to use “You’re” instead of “Your”. Just an observation. Otherwise, I agree with your post.
    “Great use of the double negative Randy, Your right you are not going to start NO trouble….”

75. 1mge says: Nov 10, 2010 8:06 PM

Classic scumbag from the hood that would be behind bars in between stints pumping gas if he couldn’t catch a football.
    What a looooser that hopefully no upcoming peewee, pop warner, or rec league football kids listen to!

76. Nate is Gay for Brady says: Nov 10, 2010 8:07 PM

Dear Greggggg,
    Thanks for putting up my post! You guys are the bestest.
    And then you deleted my post after two minutes because somebody cried about it.
    I was just calling a spade a spade. But I see you all have become slaves to “Da Man”.
    Thanks Greggggggg!
    Wussy.

77. winslow says: Nov 10, 2010 8:09 PM

HarrisonHits says: November 10, 2010 6:49 PM
    Wow the grammar Nazi’s are out in force today.
    Poor use of apostrophe.
    The point is that Moss knows how to speak properly. I’ve heard him do it. He prefers playing the role of Joe Badass, something most guys outgrow coinciding with puberty.

78. Deb says: Nov 10, 2010 8:10 PM

“Look, man, I ain’t fallin’ for no banana in my tailpipe!”
    I’m sorry … what were we talking about?

79. TN Steeler Fan says: Nov 10, 2010 8:12 PM

Just give him time to realize that he’s not the center of attention in Nashville and he’ll return to being the same old Randy. Whining, giving 20% effort, and bad mouthing the owner, the coaches, the cheerleaders and Opryland. He’s a punk and always will be a punk.
    @Tweedledum – very good analogy. Limbaugh is a douche and @Hogster is a jagoff.

80. JoeSixPack says: Nov 10, 2010 8:14 PM

I’m gonna give Randy the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant to use a triple negative, rather than a double negative.
    Randy’s just that far ahead of all of us.

81. masterblaster78 says: Nov 10, 2010 8:16 PM

Spits laughing. Moss has this sentence down pat as each team that picks him up he says the same thing. Excellent english Randy, nice college that graduated you. Your a cancer on any team you play. I bet they even taught you that you spell team with an I, because that’s how you think. If it wasn’t for Chris Carter showing you how to play football you’d be on the street. Your nothing but a thug.

82. Mike says: Nov 10, 2010 8:26 PM

Straight bad grammer, Homey…glad you are gone from Minnesota. Titans, good luck. On the surface it all look good Homeys…Wait till you lose a game or two, the true Randy will surface for Tennessee…

83. ftball4775 says: Nov 10, 2010 8:28 PM

I am willing to wager that everyone that is commenting about double negatives makes less than 500k a yr.. so really .. So.. in the grand scheme of things… who’s the real idiot???

84. Justin says: Nov 10, 2010 8:32 PM

Sure thing, Ray Guy. I’m studying for my master’s currently and I don’t always speak proper english when in an informal mode of communication. What’s the point? Your favorite player will never get into the Hall of Fame now that Lechler has surpassed him. BTW, have you heard Darren McFadden talk? Or Rolando McClain? Pretty much every player from the south speaks some butchered form of english with a silly accent. How does this measure IQ? Common sense, learn it.

85. jebdamone says: Nov 10, 2010 8:33 PM

i LOVE randy moss!

86. vbe says: Nov 10, 2010 8:37 PM

Randy Moss: “I’m not coming here to start no trouble”
    =================================
    Did this idiot graduate from college? Does he understand that a double negative turns into a positive.
    His statement means that he is going there to start trouble.

87. rarson says: Nov 10, 2010 8:48 PM

“Excellent english Randy, nice college that graduated you. Your a cancer on any team you play.”
    Excellent English, masterblaster78; “your” quite the grammarian.
    I would assume your college is on par with Randy’s, but then again, given the way that the majority of people type, I would assume that most are.
    I dropped out of college, by the way.

88. bruce campbells chainsaw hand says: Nov 10, 2010 8:52 PM

The Hogster -
    Sorry man, none of that impresses me.
    I would be impressed if he showed any bit of humility, but that’s never going to happen. I bet life after football is going to be great for this prick.

89. riverhorse says: Nov 10, 2010 8:56 PM

the guy is a mental case

90. JDOGG says: Nov 10, 2010 9:04 PM

Who really cares about the double negative? While it is not proper english, it has become part of the way American English is spoken. You wouldn’t wan’t to type a double negative. However, he is speaking…not giving a book report.
    FYI, there are a bunch of goofy teethed Britts across the ocean that think us fat, stinking Americans speak bad english.

91. oldschool71 says: Nov 10, 2010 9:06 PM

yo-yo-yo Randaaaaa!! Marshall College is so proud!

92. ShotgunFormation-5WIDE says: Nov 10, 2010 9:33 PM

Here’s a nugget! Had the Titans/Oilers drafted Moss instead of Kevin Dyson, would they have a Superbowl by now? Instead, fate has spun history in a new direction… On a crash course for a collision with destiny…with a new supporting cast. Vowing then to dominate the league, Moss still produces, while his draft counterpart is long gone. One has to ponder, had the seemingly right decision been made originally, would we see a less tempermental Moss…now? Who knows!?!? What we do know … is that Eddie, Wycheck nor Mcnair (RIP) won’t be walking thru the door. Oh, and Derek Mason. Instead, there’s C.J and Young, combined with a young team, veteran head coach, sprinkled with a riverboat gambler type of ownership. It’s sure to be a volatile mix.

93. Mooch says: Nov 10, 2010 9:33 PM

Hogster, shouldn’t you be rubbing it in our faces about how awesome McNabb is and how dumb it was of the Eagles to trade him to a division rival?
    I mean, wouldn’t that be a better way to spend your time?

94. elmoron says: Nov 10, 2010 9:37 PM

“I’m not coming here to start no trouble”
    ——————————————————
    You’re breathing, aren’t you?

95. Calir says: Nov 10, 2010 9:42 PM

When you’re rich you can pretty much talk however you want.

96. Richm2257 says: Nov 10, 2010 9:52 PM

My only question for Randy Moss would be: “Don’t you think now that you really DID have a good thing in New England after all?”

97. Velmas Turtleneck Sweater Lint says: Nov 10, 2010 10:32 PM

” Well my name is Randy and I like to b*tch.
    My favorite move is the uniform switch.
    The coaches and the fans say to play each down.
    But if I don’t get paid .. hell I’m leavin’ town
    I didn’t come to start no trouble
    I just came to do the Randy Moss Shuffle
    Uh huh, Uh huh, Uh huh “

98. HolyMoly says: Nov 10, 2010 10:51 PM

Who’s taking bets on where Randy ends up next season? (Or THIS season???)

99. snarkygurl68 says: Nov 11, 2010 2:28 AM

*shaking head* Way too many people commenting on the double negative used. I’ve seen worse command of the English language used by the PFT hypocrite commentors. And more than one of you have called people out for it. Is this a sports website or a Rhoades scholar recruitment site?? Meh…

100. troypshair says: Nov 11, 2010 11:07 AM

Justin says:
    Nov 10, 2010 5:44 PM

————————————————–
    Amen. Perhaps some of you might have heard other NFL players speak? Alot sound like they haven’t graduated 3rd grade yet.

101. shaggytoodle says: Nov 11, 2010 1:23 PM

troypshair says:
    Nov 11, 2010 11:07 AM

__________________________________

I am pretty sure Channing Crowder and Anne Frank may have something to say about that!!!

102. tatum064 says: Nov 17, 2010 10:43 AM

“I’m not coming here to start no trouble.”

..I just came to do the Super Bowl shuffle! (couldnt resist)

As for the Grammar police….a lot of money makes language meaningless…there are other forms of communication, To some, being eloquent is a form of intelligence and to others, extensive wealth is yet another form of communication.