Eight-year-old Jets fan allegedly tackled while leaving Browns game

Football fans who choose to openly root for the road team assume the risk of being verbally abused, but none should ever be subject to assault.  Especially when the fan is eight years old.

According to WEWS in Cleveland, the mother of an eight-year-old Jets fan claims that a Browns fan tackled the boy, who wore a Jets jersey to Sunday’s game while the boy and his father were leaving the game.

“A drunken Browns fan tackled him and pulled him out of his dad’s hand.  He was on the ground crying,” the boy’s mother said.  The boy’s ankle was scraped and bruised.

The boy’s father did not report the incident to police.  Instead, the father decided to continue to their car and leave.

The incident occurred outside of the stadium, in a lot owned by the City of Cleveland.

Browns spokesman Neil Gulkis described the incident as “unfortunate and disappointing,” and he said that the Browns are looking into the situation.

At a minimum, we think that Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan should get his twin brother, Rex, to invite the boy to a game in New York.

Permalink 92 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
92 Responses to “Eight-year-old Jets fan allegedly tackled while leaving Browns game”
  1. brewdogg says: Nov 16, 2010 10:27 PM

I think the kid will be on the sideline of the next Jets home game. You know it will be great PR for the Jets and the league, and Ryan is just the kind of guy to do it. Just make sure the kid has those headphones on that don’t let in any outside noise, or he will have a whole new vocabulary monday morning in school….

2. commandercornpone says: Nov 16, 2010 10:33 PM

reminds me of the telecast of the “basketbrawl” event in daytwa.

the camera kept going back to a really fat guy who was there with his daughter, an 8 or 9 year old kid…

that kid was scared to death. THEY arent going back to games. and that’s basketball…

my idiot county sheriff, who prides himself on catering security to such events and coddles the local criminal element just stood there with a nervous smile among the mayhem. idiot. democrat. oh but that’s redundant.

it’s a game. it’s even better on tee vee. away from the (sub?) human zoo.

3. aldavisisthenfl says: Nov 16, 2010 10:33 PM

In the Pinochio tale don’t the father and son get swallowed by a Rex….oops I meant whale…

4. brasho says: Nov 16, 2010 10:34 PM

Perhaps the Redskins would be interested. That drunk guy made one tackle, which is more than the entire Redskins D could do all last night.

BTW, in the time it took me to write this, the Eagles just scored again.

5. j0esixpack says: Nov 16, 2010 10:35 PM

Knowing the Ryan family, Rob’s more likely to be trying to sign the fan to play LB than worrying about this kid’s psyche.

6. igottz5onit says: Nov 16, 2010 10:37 PM

No comment.

7. floriosphillyfan says: Nov 16, 2010 10:37 PM

Stay classy Cleveland.

8. moolah954 says: Nov 16, 2010 10:37 PM

Rob Ryan should ask the drunk to join the team maybe he can land a tackle

9. artmodellspimp says: Nov 16, 2010 10:41 PM

Even if that child was wearing a Bray-Bray jersey, that idiot should be sentenced to become Shaun Rogers’ personal tackling dummy for a day.

It’s probably the same jackass who puked on my car last year…

10. indicanuk says: Nov 16, 2010 10:44 PM

So the under/over on somebody sueing someone here is 2 weeks?

11. istateyourname says: Nov 16, 2010 10:45 PM

“A drunken Browns fan …”

A bit redundant don’t you think?

12. nflperson says: Nov 16, 2010 10:51 PM

This story is B.S. Pretty sure if some ass clown attacked my kid I would have beat their dumb ass to death. I wouldn’t tuck my tail between my legs and make my wife make a fuss. Sounds like this dad is a huge POS.

13. christophergatesmolestscollies says: Nov 16, 2010 10:52 PM

I’d expect this out of a filthy Packer fan

14. keegax says: Nov 16, 2010 10:52 PM

This probably happened though it was probably someone trying to be funny.

Sounds like the kid is a wimp like his dad who didn’t stand up to the guy.

I personally woulda crushed that guy if he touched my kid.

15. iamthefootballjerk says: Nov 16, 2010 10:53 PM

Tackling is so 2009. I thought that spitting on other people was the way to go now.

Maybe Sam Wyche was right about Cleveland.

16. patriotsfan51 says: Nov 16, 2010 10:55 PM

And thats why Lebron left… and Drew Carey left.. and pretty soon the rock and roll hall of fame will leave.. Cleveland Sucks

17. hoobsher says: Nov 16, 2010 10:55 PM

so philly isnt the only city with obnoxious fans in the crowd? the way people on this site comment, youd think philly is just full of ignorant obnoxious belligerent drunkards who physically harm anyone who isnt wearing their colors, and theyre the only city with that kind of person.

turns out every city has them spread throughout…jackasses.

18. 7pints says: Nov 16, 2010 10:57 PM

I have always said that Detroit is the armpit of America. Well, we have to have two, don’t we? If you’ve ever been to Detroit or Cleveland (and don’t live there) you are nodding your head in agreement right now. Hey don’t get happy Oakland….. you’re the taint!

19. oldassgoat says: Nov 16, 2010 10:59 PM

As a Browns season ticket holder, this is not acceptable, hope there is video somewhere to catch this ass clown. In every crowd, there are a few drunk idiots, evidently Momma never taught him to act properly out in public. On behalf of the Browns Nation, I sincerely apologize.

20. 8dollarbeer says: Nov 16, 2010 10:59 PM

commandercornpone says:
    Nov 16, 2010 10:33 PM

****************************************

Go back to checking drudgereport ever 20 sec, and leave the stupid political banter where it belongs. No one cares about your political stance/beliefs.

21. david7590 says: Nov 16, 2010 11:05 PM

Same ol’ trashy Cleveland crap. Thats why your team got the hell out of that dump.

22. hdahs143 says: Nov 16, 2010 11:06 PM

idiot. democrat. oh but that’s redundant.

—-

Comments like that make it quite clear who the idiot is.

23. cshawnb says: Nov 16, 2010 11:14 PM

doesn’t that qualify as BATTERY, and not simply assault. I’m not a lawyer or anything. Just sayin’.

24. winston88 says: Nov 16, 2010 11:16 PM

In no way am I defending my Browns Fan brethren, as the actions were beyond deplorable, but shouldn’t the father be a little culpable? If I had a 7 year old with me, I certainly wouldn’t be parking in the opposing teams frat party section.

25. giablommi says: Nov 16, 2010 11:16 PM

Meh. No shocker that this would happen between a matchup of two degenerate, neanderthal fanbases.

The way I see it, you’d damn well better proceed with caution if you’re gonna take your kid into an opponent’s stadium wearing an opponent’s jersey. ESPECIALLY if that opponent’s stadium is in Cleveland, New York, Philadelphia or a handful of other cities renowned for disgraceful, subhuman fan behavior. Not to condone this behavior, obviously, but use some freakin common sense.

If I could be so bold as to use an analogy, the odds of being struck by lightning are roughly 1 in 750,000. If you see storm clouds brewing, and head indoors, chances are you’ll be ok. If you immediately go to an open field and attach yourself to a tall metal rod, chances are you’ve just significantly increased your chances of becoming a victim. Duh.

26. cfrye9 says: Nov 16, 2010 11:19 PM

I’m sorry but I have to call BS on this story. Yes I am a Browns fan and yes I go to multiple games a year and park in this same parking lot. Yes there are loads of drunk tailgaters, but the city of Cleveland and the Browns have targeted this lot as a “problem area”. So the lot is full of CPD officers before and even more after the game.

So if this did happen
    1. a police officer would have definitely been able to see the stupid act. The cops walk around the lots in pairs, as they do in other cities Im sure.
    2. A lot of fans hang around the parking lot waiting for the traffic to die down, so I’m sure one would have stepped.

I’m sure the altercation would have caught the attention of a lot of fans and as a result the Police.

I don’t know what this family is out for, but I’m sure they will get something out of it.

27. thunderbone76 says: Nov 16, 2010 11:26 PM

That’s why I don’t take my 8 year old to pro football games. It’s not Disney On Ice.

28. daffy87 says: Nov 16, 2010 11:32 PM

floriosphillyfan – Okay, a Philly fan has no room to criticize any fan base anywhere. Didn’t they have a guy intentionally throw up on an 11 year old girl during a phillies game this year? I’d rather be tackled than thrown up on.

29. holyfrickinwah says: Nov 16, 2010 11:32 PM

How drunk do you have to be to tackle an 8 year old? Was the tackler a little person who immediately went into attack mode upon seeing another little person?

So wrong…

30. 3yardsandacloud says: Nov 16, 2010 11:33 PM

I believe you mean no one should be “battered”, unless of course the boy wasn’t touched but was put in a reasonable fear that a battery was imminent?

31. fonetiklee says: Nov 16, 2010 11:49 PM

Thank god it wasn’t a Philly fan this time……

32. dolfan34 says: Nov 16, 2010 11:49 PM

This is obviously something the Browns could have used on the last pay of the game.

33. Andre's Johnson says: Nov 17, 2010 12:04 AM

On the one hand, the father showed a lot of poise and restraint by just walking to the car. On the other hand, any of us who have sons are thinking we might have completely beat the hell out of the assailant.

34. stealthscorpio says: Nov 17, 2010 12:05 AM

Learn to take a hit kid!

35. timegambit says: Nov 17, 2010 12:13 AM

Watched a group packer fans piss on a little girls stocking cap outside of green bay after a playoff loss.

They said the little girl was ignoring them while they were trying to talk to her. Turns out the little girl was deaf and was a packer fan, just wearing a Viking hat for her uncle.

Packer fans are the dumbest animals on earth, but don’t hate them. It’s all the inbreeding.

If I ever become Governor of Minnesota, my first act will be invading wisconsin that night and turning that field into a land-fill.

Vote Timegambit in 2014.

36. orangejynx says: Nov 17, 2010 12:14 AM

This is nothing new. As a 12yearold I was walking out of Veterans
    Stadium in Philadelphia with my dad and wearing my John Elway
    jersey and people were giving me the finger and throwing things
    at me…AND THE EAGLES WON!!?? Hope this kids on the Jets
    sideline rocking a headset this week.

37. goldsteel says: Nov 17, 2010 12:20 AM

It’s disappointing and probably frightening since no one knew what the attacker was up to. The message is don’t take your family to a pro football game for their own safety. The father probably paid good money so that his kid could get assaulted. Instead of worrying about hits on the field perhaps they should worry about drunks in the stands?

All alcoholic beverages should not be sold after half time. Maybe it will give them an hour to sober up?

38. dtrb10 says: Nov 17, 2010 12:26 AM

Same sort of thing happened to my friend as he was leaving Lambeau last year with his son he is 10 now but after the Vikings won last year there they were walking back to thier car and a kid about 17, 18 he said, ran up and tripped him. Pretty Classy huh? So Browns fans are like Packer fans.

39. marinofreakout says: Nov 17, 2010 12:29 AM

im sure rex will use this as yet another way to find yet another teet of the media to suck on…thanks for revealing an avenue for him…

40. effthaeffinjetsgofins says: Nov 17, 2010 12:51 AM

Who cares? He’s a stinkin’ Jets fan.

I guess he learned at a (very) young age that loving the Jets will only make your whole life suck. And make you disgusting. And make you fat and stoopid.

41. jameswestphal says: Nov 17, 2010 1:08 AM

I hope Dad threw the guy a beating. Good stuff Cleveland, really.

42. jordan4440 says: Nov 17, 2010 1:22 AM

I am a die hard Browns fan and this story makes me sick. It doesn’t really matter what team you are a fan of because every team has some a-hole fans who just make the whole fan base look bad. From the Cardinals to the Vikings and every team inbetween has fans that are just stupid and that’s why I enjoy watching the games from my home via the NFL Sunday Ticket.

43. jpmelon says: Nov 17, 2010 1:23 AM

This is not all that uncommon…however I don’t beleive the woman’s story. What kind of father wouldn’t try to kill someone who attacks his son?….and regardless of the color of the hoodies and jackets, a drunken mob would not tolerate someone harming an 8 year old.

I think this lady beleives she can get some money out of the Browns organization. I’m not a detective, and I’m not saying this isn’t possible……but I am saying that whatever happened is being blown out of proportion, or exaggerated. If someone came over and hurt my son (on purpose) next to me, I wouldn’t stop fighting until I was in handcuffs or a hospital bed.

44. oumoonunit says: Nov 17, 2010 1:49 AM

I hope that man gets tackled by an 18 wheeler when he is driving to work tomorrow. That is, of course, if multiple DUI’s haven’t already effected his ability to acquire any gainful employment.

45. descendency says: Nov 17, 2010 2:00 AM

The Jets should try to sign the guy who made the tackle. Then he could replace Vernon Gholston, who can’t seem to do anything.

46. deanvernonwormer says: Nov 17, 2010 2:09 AM

I’ve been to several road games but never Cleveland. The biggest scum bags in the league are hands down in New England. Boston lowlifes.

As for Cleveland just remember what Sam Wyche said as he yelled at fant throwing snow balls onto the field “You don’t live in Cleveland you live in Cincinnati!

Dean Vernon Wormer

47. deanvernonwormer says: Nov 17, 2010 2:11 AM

Here’s the Sam Wyche link,

48. bspn2 says: Nov 17, 2010 2:38 AM

Wow, physically assaulting a child. Looks like Clowns fans have stooped to a new low. (Actually, I didn’t even think that was possible).

Where’s James Harrison when you need him to deal with an idiot Clowns fan?

49. patrickthedookie says: Nov 17, 2010 2:51 AM

If you have to get drunk to enjoy a football game, you’re not a football fan – you’re just an adult who never learned to grow up.

Football rocks. The stadium atmosphere doesn’t.

50. faulkana says: Nov 17, 2010 3:19 AM

It may seem harsh, but it’s just tough-love.
    The kid is eight. For the love of God, someone has to intervene. He was wearing a Jets Jersey! You want him to grow up like that?

51. iggles07 says: Nov 17, 2010 4:08 AM

And the national media probably won’t even mention this story unless the kid gets sideline tickets to an upcoming jets game.

However, if this had happened at an Eagles game it would be front page news on every lazy national media sports reporters desk lambasting eagles fans with the same tired cliche of – they booed Santa clause and Donovan mcnabb.

Apparently the media thinks Cleveland is all peas and carrots. Anyone else remember them throwing beer bottles all over the field a few years back??? Yeah, the birds didn’t corner the market on a$$holes, every fanbase has plenty of them.

52. jimmysee says: Nov 17, 2010 4:14 AM

Hope they have surveillance video outside the stadium.

53. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Nov 17, 2010 5:12 AM

Precisely the reason I won’t go to an NFL game anymore. I took my then 12 year old son to a game for his birthday a few years ago. I had to fork over $390 for three seats in the drunken mullet section, we had our view of the game blocked by two fights and had to listen to three hours of vulgar and offensive language from beer soaked tough guys who questioned each other’s sexual orientation and lineage. I won’t tell you what city we were in, just insert the name of the nearest NFL city to you.

I hope the idot who showed what a badass he was to an 8 year old remembered what he did the next morning and was real proud of himself as he called off work due to a hangover.

54. bucks12965 says: Nov 17, 2010 5:55 AM

I agree w/nflperson,

I why is this article written as though it is a fact that this happened? No police report, no video, no witnesses referenced.

55. bdrunk says: Nov 17, 2010 6:20 AM

No team preaches or teaches this kind of behavior to their fans, it could happen anywhere. But yeah, if that’s my kid, the drunk guy would still be getting beaten.

56. uncommon1 says: Nov 17, 2010 6:31 AM

As someone who is often drunk and makes bad decisions, I would venture to guess that the ass-bag was going for humor. I would sure hope that he wasn’t really trying to tackle and hurt the poor kid. My guess is that the drunk was going to “pretend” to rough the kid up for a few cheap laughs, and in turn actually hurt the little guy.

I’m not trying to defend the drunken idiot, just trying to shine some light on what MIGHT have been going.

I heard it was Lavar Arrington who made the tackle. He was trying to show the Ryan quintuplets that he still has a little bit left in the tank

57. floriostoupee says: Nov 17, 2010 6:38 AM

as a Jet fan living in South Florida, I go almost annually to the Fish/Jets games here in FULL GREEN in enemy territory. I know the risks involved and accept them as a grown man. I’m loud and brash, and get pretty hammered, but the difference here is i don’t go LOOKING for a fight and thus, have never gotten into one.

Having said that. two years ago i brought my son to his first game, waited until he was 14, because i know the atmosphere at a rivalry game. It was uneventful (we saw favre’s jet debut against penny’s dolphin debut) but i wouldn’t have exposed him to that until he was at least a teenager. Point being, who brings an 8 year old in enemy colors to CLEVELAND? Not the brightest bulb in the box.

58. lordodysseus says: Nov 17, 2010 6:49 AM

#
    nflperson says: Nov 16, 2010 10:51 PM

You’re the kind of moron defense attorneys love to have on the jury. I’m sure the drunken POS had friends around. The dad was smart to get out of there and protect the child. My god are you stupid.

59. zappa69 says: Nov 17, 2010 6:50 AM

At a Pittsburgh game many years ago in visitor colors, a drunken Pitt fan had his 8 year old come over to me and throw orange pop on us. Security saw the pop throwing and said “he’s just a kid”. My sugggestion was to toss the Dad but they said it wouldn’t be right because the guy was a season ticket holder. Now I know that douche bag kid became a Browns fan to piss his father off and is keeping up the family tradition.

60. dirtdawg55 says: Nov 17, 2010 6:52 AM

Least surprising part of the story … “drunken Browns fan”. Of course you can pretty much insert any team name in there. Outside of San Diego, where you might get pelted with a piece of Brie, most stadiums are pits of despair, especially for fans of opposing teams. Mind you, the Brownies certainly have a reputation for some incredulous fan behaviors. Guess that’s what happens when the team is losing all the time. Not much else to do but throw dog biscuits, snow balls and beer bottles and tackle children in the parking lot.

61. dccowboy says: Nov 17, 2010 7:35 AM

#
    lordodysseus says: Nov 17, 2010 6:49 AM

#
    nflperson says: Nov 16, 2010 10:51 PM

====================

ROFL. and you can’t have children. If you do I feel sorry for them.

I can guarantee that if someone tackled my 8 year old child I would have tried to beat them to death, I would not be evaluating the tactical situation and making a reasoned judgment about my probability of success. If he had any friends who wanted to get in on it I’d go after them too. The parental protective instinct is not something that you sit around and think about, you just act.

If his mother had witnessed it I can also guarantee she would have been on that guy like a rabid wolverine and would not have had an instants thought about her own safety, how many friends he had, would she win, etc. All she would have been trying to do is tear the guy limb from limb.

62. cjspiller12 says: Nov 17, 2010 7:40 AM

Maybe it was Aaron Maybin who made the tackle. Would be the first in his career. On a serious note, this is just plain bad!!!

63. kevinfromphilly says: Nov 17, 2010 7:58 AM

At the very least, Rex should give the kid his Rob Ryan costume. That way, people will think he’s a Browns fan. With REALLY baggy clothes.

64. abengalfan says: Nov 17, 2010 8:14 AM

Having attended games in Cleveland this does not surprise me one bit.
    Sadly most Clowns fans will find this incident amusing.
    Notice no where does it say how other Clowns fans stepped in to help?

65. demons87 says: Nov 17, 2010 8:31 AM

Ever notice it’s always Jets fans that complain they were harassed at other stadiums?

Either Jets fans invite this or it happens to fans of all teams and Jets fans are the only crybabies that make a big deal about it.

Every year they are a few stories like this involving Jets fans. I think last time it was San Diego.

66. nepats12 says: Nov 17, 2010 8:40 AM

What they didn’t mention is that it wasn’t a boy, but an adult who was only 5-2. Men from NY are tiny! Hey but lucky for him it happened in CLE. in pit, he would have been peed on after the fight and in Balt he would have been stabbed…

67. godofwine330 says: Nov 17, 2010 9:04 AM

I guess Sam Wyche was right, huh

“You don’t live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati”

That was wrong and that fan deserves to get his butt beat. Let that have been my son. As Clay Davis says, “Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit”

68. 4dabears says: Nov 17, 2010 9:09 AM

Typical behavior from an idiotic Brownies fan!

69. thechipdawg says: Nov 17, 2010 9:18 AM

This story makes me sick to think about, being the father of a 1 year old boy that I hope to take to a game one day. Some of the comments posted on this forum however are even more deplorable than the story itself. How could any grow adult even make a joke as to how something like this could be funny, or even a life lesson. I believe in Darwinism (Only the strong survive, for some of the sub-breeds reading this) but children are exempt from any type of this behavior. I applaud the dad for doing the CORRECT thing and walking away. Who knows what could have happened if he tried to stick around and fight the guy as some have suggested. The right thing to do is seldom the easiest thing to do, but then again it requires brain cells and common sense to figure that out.

70. pedsaregoodforsports says: Nov 17, 2010 9:20 AM

Hmmm, really? You mean this DIDNT happen in Philly?

If this DID happen in Philly, its national news and EVERYONE on here is ripping everyone in Philly for it.

71. calloustongue says: Nov 17, 2010 9:20 AM

Funny that Vikings fans come on this board and make up stories about Lambeau. You’re so full of crap it’s not even funny.

I was at the Metrodump one time wearing a Packers Jersey and nothing happened. Vikings fans are too scared and would just choke and lose a fight anyway, just like their team.

I’d turn purple if I was constantly choking as well.

72. jlawless87 says: Nov 17, 2010 9:32 AM

Absolutely inexcusable

Signed,

Embarrassed Browns fan

73. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter says: Nov 17, 2010 9:35 AM

The kid got up quicker than Tomlinson ever did. And Cried less.

74. giablommi says: Nov 17, 2010 10:07 AM

“If this DID happen in Philly, its national news and EVERYONE on here is ripping everyone in Philly for it…Totally proves the hypocrisy and profiling toward Philadelphia and their fan base as well as the fact, though many dont want to believe it, that there are knuckleheads in EVERY fan base, REGARDLESS of team affiliation.”
    ^^^^^
    It’s sort of amusing, not to mention predictable, that no less than 3 Eagles fan posters come on here unsolicited and basically pat themselves on the back that this alleged incident didn’t happen in Philadelphia.

We get it, okay? Ugly behavior can happen anywhere, however, please don’t insult our intelligence by saying that your reputation is undeserved or that you have somehow evolved into a benevolent, sophisticated fan base.

Philadelphia does not have a national reputation fr barbarity because the media is “lazy” or looking for an easy scapegoat. Your reputation has been earned

75. muchmaligned says: Nov 17, 2010 10:21 AM

That’s the funniest headline ever!

The kid’s Dad should be savagely “tackled” for not burning a slug into the lowlife who assaulted his kid.

76. steelers6pack says: Nov 17, 2010 10:24 AM

An 8 year old kid tackled by a man and police, who must be close to stadium for traffic controll not called? I am sure his dad never said a word, since the Jets won! So mommy calls the newspaper and the staium? Something does no sound right!

77. pedsaregoodforsports says: Nov 17, 2010 11:00 AM

giablommi says:
    Nov 17, 2010 10:07 AM
    ^^^^^

————————————————–

Noone is patting themselves on the back moron.

Jsut stating the obvious.

And earned? Really? Becuase of the snowball incident 30 some years ago?

Since I dont really pay attention, please give SPECIFICS as to why such reputation is earned. And if you can, I gaurantee you, said examples happen at every stadium in the nation. Which again proves my point.

Or is it that you have no mind of your own, cant come up with specifics and are just piling on?

But you are right about one thing. We have earned a reputation as being one the loudest and toughest places to play in the NFL.

And we will take that any day.

78. flyingelvislogosucksbringbackpatpatriot says: Nov 17, 2010 11:34 AM

nflperson says:
    Nov 16, 2010 10:51 PM

————————————————

Yup nflperson you are describing your typical jets fan, the POS of which you speak. This can happen in any city and probably does but Florio never got wind of it.

79. avrus says: Nov 17, 2010 11:37 AM

@demons87

The San Diego incident was on youtube and the Chargers fans were defending the Jet fan in question. So clearly the whole thing was ridiculous.

The reason this is even a story is because anything Jets related brings out the haters in droves aka it’s good for viewership.

It’s one fan, and I’m sure not representative of the Cincinnati fan base.

80. raiderchile says: Nov 17, 2010 12:22 PM

For the father to do nothing is pathetic. Someone touches my boy, I’d take him to the car and get the widow maker and put a hurt on the man. Come on, at least call the police!

81. Spoonthis says: Nov 17, 2010 12:46 PM

Philly fans even find this appalling. Real nice Cleveland.

I wonder if it was the idiot that ran onto the field and got body slammed by James Harrison a few years back?

82. smithopher says: Nov 17, 2010 12:50 PM

avrus – you mean cleveland fan base? and it doesn’t represent the teams entire fan base, but the NFL needs to do something about this. we’re seeing there could be a lock out next year, and who knows when the next time a lockout will be possible? the NFL needs strong committed fans developed from an early age. I started going to Jets games when I was 6 years old with my dad and I’ve grown into a huge NFL fan through the years. if I got tackled at a game by an opposing fan when I was just a little kid, I probably wouldn’t have gone back anytime soon, and I might not have been quite the fan of the NFL I am now. either way, if we’re worried about the NFL not being able to put the pieces together, it’ll be exponentially harder if the NFL doesn’t try to market their product to be conducive to bringing in younger fans to secure a financial base for the future. maybe increased security at/outside of games and in the parking lots, maybe they need to stop selling alcohol earlier in the games (though I doubt that’s happening at $9.75 a beer), i don’t know. the NFL needs to look at its options and figure something out. It sucks to hear about that happening because by the time I was 8 I’d gone to multiple games with my dad and I was already one of the biggest Jets fans around. The NFL needs those loyal fans.

83. pftuser says: Nov 17, 2010 3:03 PM

This could easily happen at any NFL game. It shouldn’t, but it could. Anyone who says this couldn’t happen at their stadium is delusional.

84. cleverbob says: Nov 17, 2010 3:33 PM

It couldn’t happen in DC. Their fans can’t tackle either.

85. giablommi says: Nov 17, 2010 3:45 PM

“…And earned? Really? Becuase of the snowball incident 30 some years ago?

Since I dont really pay attention, please give SPECIFICS as to why such reputation is earned. And if you can, I gaurantee you, said examples happen at every stadium in the nation.”
    ^^^^^
    Seeing as how my earlier response was conveniently unposted here, let me try again.

Forget 30 years ago, I can give you three incidents in the last year and a half off the top of my head that demonstrate why Philadelphia has a well earned reputation for subhuman behavior:

– “Pukemon” intentionally vomits on 11 year old girl at Phillies game
    – 17 year old moron runs onto the field at Citizens Bank Park, is tasered. Easily a half dozen copycat morons run onto field the remainder of season.
    – David Sale stomped and beaten to death by group of angry white trash in parking lot of Citizens Bank Park

…and these are just for your *baseball* team. Who knows how many more crimes against humanity go unreported at the Linc?

Now, if you can, please provide example in other cities where 11 year old girls are intentionally vomited on, where fans are tasered on the field, and where fans are beaten to death in the parking lot outside the ballpark?

86. hboilers24 says: Nov 17, 2010 7:11 PM

thats horrible. as a life long browns fan i cant think of anything worse then this.

just goes to show that alcohol stuff just isn’t good for you. hope the kid’s fine.

87. cleverbob says: Nov 18, 2010 8:24 AM

Hey giablommi, heard of Google?

Just search “fan killed parking lot”, and you’ll find that there are bloodthirsty fans in LA, Cleveland, and Boston for starters.

And how is a fan getting tasered on the field a reflection of the fan base? No doubt you’ve seen the footage because you wouldn’t take an uninformed position, so what did that particular fan do that the countless other fans didn’t do who ran onto the field in countless other cities?

So you’ll just have to pin all your hatred of the Philadelphia fan base of the past 40 years on the actions of one drunken arsehole that lives almost 2 hours outside of the city. He’s an accurate representative if there ever was one.

88. kolbfan says: Nov 18, 2010 11:07 AM

Why is this not a huge national story?
    If it was Philly, we fans would be crucified.
    It’s only because nobody give a s*** about Cleveland that this is a non story.
    Disgraceful.

89. tomlovestroy says: Nov 19, 2010 1:33 PM

When asked to comment..The 80 year old was concerned with the level of “sugar” he received from Cleveland fans.

See this is why we can’t ask the Patriots for comments. We can’t let Brady Lexicon destroy the integrity of the game.

90. clintonrb says: Nov 21, 2010 12:59 PM

why wouldnt the dad destroy the person that did this?

i dont believe any dad would sit by and watch that happen

its a lie

91. favreflavoredwaffles says: Nov 22, 2010 9:35 AM

christophergatesmolestscollies says:
    Nov 16, 2010 10:52 PM
    I’d expect this out of a filthy Packer fan.
    ___________________________________

You ever been to Lambeau…? I’m at every home game, and 99% of any trouble there comes from drunken pricks like you….

92. rebalynne says: Nov 23, 2010 4:26 AM

I understand about emotions with a football game, but this is ridiculous!