Hines Ward passes concussion test, returns to practice

H. Ward2

Three days after the Steelers “protected” Hines Ward from himself, the receiver was back on the practice field.

Ward doesn’t normally practice on Wednesdays, but probably wanted to prove a point this week.  He passed all his concussion tests and is ready to roll for Sunday’s game against the Raiders.

“They want to keep an eye on it,” Ward said.  “I am going to go out there and practice and take it one day at a time. I feel fine. I don’t have the symptoms they think I should have.”

Concussions are not a problem Ward is going to worry about during his playing career.

“Until I get a defined answer with all of the stats of guys having injuries post-career, I won’t worry about it,” said Ward.  “Who is to say one concussion is worse than three concussions. Until you tell me that, I am going to keep playing football.”

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Hines Ward passes concussion test, returns to practice”
  1. mataug says: Nov 17, 2010 7:08 PM

“Until I get a defined answer with all of the stats of guys having injuries post-career, I won’t worry about it. Who is to say one concussion is worse than three concussions. Until you tell me that, I am going to keep playing football.”

Hines, I think the effects are already visible.

2. joetoronto says: Nov 17, 2010 7:32 PM

Good stuff, I’m glad he’s OK and he’s playing.

This is a measurement game for the Raiders. If they can go back into Pittsburgh and beat them again, they definitely are
    ready to make a serious run for the playoffs.

Last year, the Raiders surprised the Steelers, no surprise THIS year.

3. hehateu says: Nov 17, 2010 7:55 PM

Ma what the f do u care if he showing effects. Go kick a dog or join the tea party if u really want to spew ur hatred

4. raiderapologist says: Nov 17, 2010 8:00 PM

That obviously wasn’t his first concussion.

5. Deb says: Nov 17, 2010 8:09 PM

Hmmm ….

Three days after the Steelers “protected” Hines Ward from “himself,” the receiver was back on the “practice” field.

Ward doesn’t normally “practice” on Wednesdays, but probably wanted to prove a “point” this week. He “passed” all his “concussion” tests and is ready to “roll” for Sunday’s “game” against “the” Raiders.

There, fixed it. After all, we don’t know that they “protected” him from himself. And are you sure they really practice on that field? You’re just suppositioning that he wants to prove a point. And since you guys question everything coming from the Steelers, how do you know he passed the tests … that they were concussion tests … that he’s ready to “roll.” You sure they’re planning a game? And isn’t there more than one team in the universe calling itself the Raiders? No, let’s not miss an opportunity to use those doubt-casting quotation marks in a Steelers story.

And I just love how everyone takes offense that Ward isn’t going to sit in his room at night with his knees knocking and his teeth chattering pondering about how his profession might leave him debilitated in later life. Yes, it’s a dangerous game, and yes the NFL should try to make it less dangerous … if that’s the league’s motive. But for every debilitated aging player, there are many more who aren’t debilitated … like our defensive coordinator. Living in terror defeats the purpose of living. Wiser to take what precautions you can, and as Hines said, don’t freak out until you have some symptoms.

6. bspurloc says: Nov 17, 2010 11:34 PM

he already admitted last year he has had concussions before and lied to play through it…..

WHO CARES……

Why are they not designing helmets that protect against these…. what is the point of a helmet if every damn person that gets hit to the head is injured.

7. goldsteel says: Nov 18, 2010 1:25 AM

There are many assumptions about concussions at present. I don’t know what all the statistics show. I know that Troy Aikman had 10 concussions. And Roger Stauback had 20 concussions. Neither of them is drooling in their porridge. Perhaps concussions should be dealt with on a case by case basis. My sense is that the NFL’s sudden concern for concussions is a much about it’s image and legal issues as it is the health of the players.

8. ely03 says: Nov 18, 2010 2:50 AM

With Ward gonna be playing against the RAIDERS, I would really like to see Asomugha out there that would be as good or better than Asomugha vs. Fitzgerald … Go Raiders!!

9. steelgrid77 says: Nov 18, 2010 3:12 AM

Hines is as tough as they come, he will be ready and so will the Steelers.

10. fkovalyov says: Nov 18, 2010 10:03 AM

Was speaking to my father about concussions the other day, (he immigrated here about 25 years ago from what was then the Soviet Union), and he was telling me how regardless of the sport you were involved with, 3 concussions and you were done participating for good.

I don’t believe the medical industry was as precise as it is now (or who knows with all the special interest groups nowadays *cough cough*) but at what point did concussions become a non-issue if years ago, our precautions were so much more severe? And now it seems we’re heading back in that direction. Maybe other things like profit were more important than player safety, and now people realize that keeping players healthy = profit? Hard to put a finger on anything besides money making the world go ’round.