Sidney Rice calls talk of not playing this year “a bunch of bull”

nfl_rice

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune recently has reported that receiver Sidney Rice may not play on Sunday against the Packers, and that if he doesn’t play and the Vikings lose, he may not play at all this year.

Earlier today, Vikings coach Brad Childress said that Rice will make the call as to when he’s ready to play.

“Guys have got to be able to function and function well at a high level,” Childress said, via NFL.com.  “That’s for him to discern how much pain is pounding from practice and can he get by with the pain.”

Childress also dismissed the possibility that Rice is taking his good old time due to his contractual status.  “It’s real easy for guys to malinger and hang around the training room,” Childress said.  “I don’t see that from Sidney.”

Rice has provided a more direct response regarding the possibility that he’s not doing all he can to come back.

That’s a bunch of bull,” Rice writes on his official website.  “I wouldn’t dare do the fans or my teammates like that.”

Rice said that a decision regarding whether he’ll play on Sunday will be made on Saturday.

“I just want you fans to know that the surgery I had was very serious,” Rice said.  “It’s not like I’m coming back from a pulled hamstring and can run back out there.  There’s way more to it than that.  Believe me when I tell you I’m pushing to get back on the field.

“I’m anxious to get out there today and I look forward to Saturday to see how I feel after a hard week of practice.  When I wake up hopefully everything will be alright and I’ll be ready to go on Sunday.”

If he’s not, plenty of people will wonder whether Rice really is committed to playing again this year, regardless of what the truth may be.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Sidney Rice calls talk of not playing this year “a bunch of bull””
  1. yepimgr8 says: Nov 17, 2010 3:44 PM

I hope your pushing it to make it back, even though Chilly sucks.

2. touchdownroddywhite says: Nov 17, 2010 3:59 PM

Of course he’s not. Why come back pre-maturely to a losing season and possibly shorten your career any further? It’s a business, and he’s making business like decisions based on what’s best for his career and finances I’m sure.

3. brewdogg says: Nov 17, 2010 4:00 PM

He’ll play now. Call him out like this and he’ll play, especially with that new contract looming. Even a couple good plays will look good for him when he’s shopping around.

4. sacram3ntal says: Nov 17, 2010 4:03 PM

Good for Rice. That article was pure “hunch reporting”.
    The only thing that gave it any credence was the mention of Rosenhaus.

While the Queens are my least favorite pro franchise, I can’t stand sloppy reporting, so good for Rice for calling this out clearly and quickly.

5. touchdownroddywhite says: Nov 17, 2010 4:08 PM

I disagree. He’ll likely be facing double teams, especially if he’ll be close to full speed, and why risk 7 games for a few good plays when he could go into the off-season to really heal up and get back into football shape and use 2009 as his resume. Sure, he could come back and look better than last year and really help his cause, but the fact is that there is too much downside to a return and not enough upside with no real chance at post season run.

If I can figure this out in my spare time on my couch, his agent has likely had this idea ever since the story started getting depressing. For P.R. matters I could see him starting, then coming out after “aggravating” the injury. Then he gets the best of both worlds.

6. 25seasonsticketholder says: Nov 17, 2010 4:15 PM

Dear Sidney,

This is an open letter from a long time season ticket holder that enjoyed watching you play in every game last season and a fan who knows you won’t play a down this season.

Face it Sid, your BS’ing the fans, media, teammates and coaches and anyone else who’ll listen. Come this Saturday you’ll fold like a house of cards. We won’t see you against the packers on Sunday.

You and Rosenhaus screwed this whole thing up royally by waiting to have the surgery you could have had in January or February. You could have been on the PUP and come back after game 6, but no, since you had ONE decent season, you and that mench Rosenhaus contrived a plan to blackmail the team for a bigger contract.

So Sid, quit feeding us all a line. Pack up your locker and head home. In fact, I don’t know that there is a reason for you to ever come back because you turned your back on this team for money and it bite you in the backside. Vikings fans see through you and Rosenhaus. You only got motivated when Moss showed up. Then Chili screwed the pooch on that one so now you and Rosenhaus can fall back on your original plan.

Find another team, go some place else and exhort money for your “one & done” performance. Maybe we can start to rebuild by trading for Larry Fitzgerald. Hey maybe Chili the football genius that he is can trade you to Arizona for Larry.

So blog away Sid, no one cares because we know you abandon your fans, teammates and whatever semblance of loyalty you had to try and make a buck.

7. canadianvikingfaniii says: Nov 17, 2010 4:29 PM

I undestand the Vikings are in disarray and hate the coach but guys like you Florio (last line) make things alot worse. Feeding BS to the fans trying to get everyone upset and against these guys.

8. deweyactswooned says: Nov 17, 2010 4:40 PM

Rest of the quote:

“That’s a bunch of bull,” Rice writes on his official website. “I wouldn’t dare do the fans or my teammates like that. That’s a bunch of diva B.S. right there, and anybody that thinks they’re above the team, that their contract issues or ego or injury status or records or whatever comes first, is just a straight up narcississtic diva brat and cancer to the team.”

9. mediasloppy says: Nov 17, 2010 5:09 PM

Thanks Deweyactswooned

This is bad media all the way. The viking players are solid when it comes to each other and Rice wouldn’t pull any kind of stunt like the media implies. Florio should have entered the whole statement. Then again, this is PFT…

10. vikesfansteve says: Nov 17, 2010 5:17 PM

T.O. pulled the same stunt with the Eagles when he wanted his contract & they suspended him. Same agent. You are pathetic Rice. Go away.

Your selfishness & self serving really hurt the Vikes this year.

Then last week sitting on the bench laughing & shuckin & jiving with Berrian. Scum.

11. deweyactswooned says: Nov 17, 2010 5:18 PM

You’re right about one thing–this is PFT.

Welcome to it.

12. mikemnz says: Nov 17, 2010 5:21 PM

A Bunch of Bull
    Written by Sidney Rice Wednesday November 17 2010
    I’m just about to head out to the practice field and see how I’m feeling and everything. A lot of people are wondering what happened on Sunday, why I didn’t play. Ultimately, it came down to how I felt at the end of the week. I went pretty hard in practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and I was feeling significant discomfort Friday and Saturday when I woke up.

So I decided not to go out there and risk getting hurt or, in my eyes, hurting the team by playing before I was ready and taking away from the team by not getting healthy.

Someone out here wrote a column today saying that I wasn’t going to come back and talked about how it related to my contract situation. But you can ask any of the news people around here, not once have I spoken about a contract or wanted money. My objective is to get out on the field and play when I’m healthy and it has nothing to do with my contract.

If you know anything about the CBA, if the contract doesn’t get done I still have to be here two more years anyway, so what’s going on now is definitely not about my contract.

That’s a bunch of bull. I wouldn’t dare do the fans or my teammates like that.

Times like these, some news people just need stories to create and I guess me not getting back on the field yet is something they want to use.

I just want you fans to know that the surgery I had was very serious. It’s not like I’m coming back from a pulled hamstring and can run back out there. There’s way more to it than that. Believe me when I tell you I’m pushing to get back on the field.

I’m anxious to get out there today and I look forward to Saturday to see how I feel after a hard week of practice. When I wake up hopefully everything will be alright and I’ll be ready to go on Sunday.

My plan is to go. But it will come down to a Saturday decision.

Sidney Rice is a wide receiver with the Minnesota Vikings. His blog for http://www.playerpress.com runs at http://www.sidneyrice18.com. Follow him on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/sidneyrice.

13. Deb says: Nov 17, 2010 5:25 PM

Just a couple of questions:

When did Sidney Rice know he needed hip surgery?

When did he have hip surgery?

Why did he choose to have the surgery when he did?

14. stellarperformance says: Nov 17, 2010 5:28 PM

He purposefully had the surgical procedure performed at a time that was to his personal advantage. There is no other way to interpret that decision. No surprises there……he learned from a 41 year old “master.” I hope the Packers pound the Vikings on Sunday and keep their collective heads under water a bit longer.

15. tdk24 says: Nov 17, 2010 5:31 PM

Espn front page has an article called “Under the Big Top”. Go to their NFL page and same article, but titled “Life Under the Big Flop”. I could have sworn that the big flop title was on the main page earlier in the day and they changed it, but they forgot to change it on the NFL page. Conspiracy? Fans in Minny hurt? LOL. Discuss amongst yourselves.

16. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 17, 2010 5:41 PM

25seasonsticketholder says:

____________

That is downright hilarious. Thank you for that, you really brightened up my day. I can always usea good laugh.

17. mediasloppy says: Nov 17, 2010 6:06 PM

Deb – From Sids blog

I went to training camp not at 100 percent but I started feeling better. I was running, doing some cutting drills, things like that. Last week I was a little sore after the cutting drills, but the pain was something I thought I could tolerate.

Like a week and a half ago I went back to see the doctor for another MRI and he said it showed significant changes. It was something he thought would be a serious problem if I didn’t get it taken care of right then, a problem that could shorten my career. I was feeling better, I had my full range of motion back and felt like I was ready to go, but the doctor compared the last two MRIs and said I should get it taken care of right now.

I talked to a couple of my teammates about it and our trainers and felt like it was the right move to make because I would still have an opportunity to finish the season strong and help the Vikings make a push for the Super Bowl.

Once the doc got in there and checked everything out, he said having the surgery was the best move I could have made, so I don’t regret it now. He said it could have been much worse if I would have tried to play on it during the season. He said it could have been my last year of playing football, so I know I made the right decision.

The surgery was successful. I was surprised when I woke up from the surgery and they told me I would be getting on the exercise bike that same day. I was still out of it from the anesthesia, so I figured they were mistaken. But at 7 o’clock that night they got me out of bed and put me on one of those light fitness bikes and had me peddling for about 20 minutes.

It’s only been a couple of days but I’m feeling better and better with less pain. I have to take it slow, I don’t want to rush it, but everything should be fine and I should be back to 100 percent if I follow my rehab plan, which I will.

18. dtrb10 says: Nov 17, 2010 6:10 PM

@25seasonsticketholder

Very well said!

19. Deb says: Nov 17, 2010 6:13 PM

@stellarperformance …

I know you hate Favre but your jibe makes no sense. Favre has never missed a start. So obviously he’s not a “master” at scheduling surgeries timed to keep him off the field during contract negotiations.

20. dtrb10 says: Nov 17, 2010 6:14 PM

@Beer Cheese Soup

What is so funny about that? Larry grew up a Vikings fan and is from South Minneapolis. He was a ball boy for the Vikings. What do you think he would’nt come here?

21. vaiking says: Nov 17, 2010 6:14 PM

Was it just me or did Sidney Rice do that stupid little jump and bump hip thing with Percy Harvin after he scored that TD at Chicago last week? If he wasn’t good enough to go, why was he doing that?

22. canadianvikingfaniii says: Nov 17, 2010 6:31 PM

They believed that Sidney could go without the surgery in the beginning, it became clear later that he wasn’t progressing through it. They then had to perform the sugery.

23. majikbullet says: Nov 17, 2010 6:51 PM

#
    deweyactswooned says: Nov 17, 2010 4:40 PM

Rest of the quote:

_____________________
    Does anyone Else take this as calling out the diva Favre?

24. majikbullet says: Nov 17, 2010 6:53 PM

#
    Deb says: Nov 17, 2010 6:13 PM

@stellarperformance …

________________________
    But Deb, you have to admit Favre as recently as this season has used injuries to his advantage to get time off from training camps, practices, etc. I’m assuming that is what stellar meant by his statements. And I would have to agree with him on that, Favre knows how to play this system.

25. ernieernie says: Nov 17, 2010 7:42 PM

Look, your a wide receiver who hits the turf often going for the ball and you have a hip injury, painful him injury, that takes 7 months to heal at best and your thinking, what if I reach for the ball hit the turf and do this again?
    This guy wants to come back this year like he wants the plague.
    Personally I say his career is trash. He will never be the player he was. In other words he ain’t reaching for any balls that aren’t right in his hands.

26. Deb says: Nov 17, 2010 8:37 PM

@majik??

A lot of vets want to skip camp. Good grief, the guy is 41. That doesn’t equate to a guy in his second year missing more than half the season–especially since he’s always up for the game. Like him or not, you’d have to give him that unless you were an irrational Favre hater. And stellarperformance is–the kind that will BS stuff about the man if he doesn’t have anything … and about me if I don’t go along with him.

I’ve wondered all season why Rice had the surgery when he did. And if the blog entry posted here really came from him–don’t you think that reads a bit insincere LOL

27. mediasloppy says: Nov 17, 2010 9:46 PM

If any real Rice fan reads his blog entries and believes he went and had surgery as some elaborate conspiracy theory they would be a total moron.

28. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 18, 2010 9:31 AM

trb10 says:

@Beer Cheese Soup

____________

Everyone knows Fitzgerald’s history, and yes, he probably would be okay with joining the Vikings. He’s a fan, and he’s been on a lot of other really terrible teams without complaining over the years, so who knows.

What I DO know is that Arizona is not about to trade the league’s undisputed best wideout and the only reason they still have butts in their seats now for a one-year wonder coming off a major injury who clearly lacks Larry’s work ethic and team-first approach. THAT is what’s hilarious.

29. webby0433 says: Nov 18, 2010 5:35 PM

If Sidney shuts it down this week also, oviously its for contract and free agency reasons. Come on Sidney and just play, u know u can.