Brad Childress says goodbye

B. Childress1

Brad Childress was never beloved in Minnesota by the fans or his players, but he did enjoy plenty of success before this disastrous season.

The Vikings won 6, 8, 10, and then 12 games in Chilly’s four complete seasons.  He won two division titles with two different quarterbacks.  His lack of people skills, poor special teams, and terrible clock management will be remembered more than most of the wins. Especially the people skills.

On Monday, he said goodbye to the organization in a statement after the team’s worst home loss in nine years..

“The past five years have been a tremendous experience for my family and I as the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings,” Childress said.  “I have a great respect for the players and coaches who I have worked with and for their dedication to each other and to the organization.

“I am proud of our accomplishments and believe the foundation of this football team is stronger today than when I became head coach in 2006. I appreciate the opportunity that Zygi, Mark, and the whole Wilf family afforded me and wish them success as they move forward.”

We’ll hear from some Vikings players later on Monday.  In the meantime, Percy Harvin can act as the defacto spokesperson via his Twitter account:

“Just another week to me . . . I just wanna play football,” Harvin wrote.

The tweet has since been deleted.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
61 Responses to “Brad Childress says goodbye”
  1. packerrube13 says: Nov 22, 2010 2:50 PM

Dear Chilly,

I am sad to see you go. I was hoping for a long relationship between you and the Vikings organization. I am sorry to see you go, but I want to thank you for leaving that franchise as the doormat and cellar dweller of the division for years to come. Thank you for your contributions, and please interview for the Bear’s O coordinator job this offseason. Thanks!

Sincerely,
    PackerRube13

2. majikbullet says: Nov 22, 2010 2:52 PM

Classy Percy…maybe he’ll fit well in Minnesota!

3. The Doctor says: Nov 22, 2010 2:57 PM

Everything rises and falls with leadership. Happy to see the Vikings make the move. I believe that the Vikes won in the past in spite of Childress, not because of his coaching.

4. mnviking says: Nov 22, 2010 2:58 PM

Well, that tweet really added to this post!

5. bjbroderick says: Nov 22, 2010 2:58 PM

“Just another week to me . . . I just wanna play football,” Harvin wrote.

The tweet has since been deleted.

Gotta love handlers. Too bad Chilly didn’t have one….

6. nanner12wojo says: Nov 22, 2010 2:59 PM

I have a Percy jersey, love watching him play, am a big Vikings fan, and I agree with the change at head coach, but someone should remind Harvin that it was Childress that took the time to fly down to Florida and got to know Harvin and his family prior to the 2009 draft. It was Chilly that made the decision to draft him despite being busted for weed at the combine. Have a little more respect for the guy that just got fired when you are where you are partially because of that man.

7. dbellina says: Nov 22, 2010 3:05 PM

We should keep him around as a draft consultant. How many teams have had two offensive ROY in three years? The guy has done a pretty good job finding talent in the draft.

8. purpleman527 says: Nov 22, 2010 3:08 PM

Hopefully, the Wilfs will double check the waiver before 4:00 PM EST.

Chilly might have cut the whole squad before getting the boot !!!!

SKOL & SCHISM !!!!

9. christophergatesmolestscollies says: Nov 22, 2010 3:08 PM

Dear Chilly, you are a filthy bald bastard – I honestly think you were a covert plant by the filthy Packer organization. Thank God it only took Zygi almost 5 years to figure you out! Superbowl Baby! Here we come!

10. JSpicoli says: Nov 22, 2010 3:10 PM

Say what you will, but he left with some class. More than I can say for most people.

11. brutus9448 says: Nov 22, 2010 3:11 PM

I wish I could get fired and make millions of dollars in the process. chilly is having the last laugh. he’ll be in hawaii on a beach in a couple of days while everyone in minnesota will be freezing their bums off

12. boisestatewhodat says: Nov 22, 2010 3:12 PM

No respect for you Childo…shouldn’t have blamed all the viqueen shortcomings on refs, hard hits and anything else you could dream up other than true source which is/was right under your nose all along.

13. bobbybythepound says: Nov 22, 2010 3:12 PM

So with Childress gone, Jackson will follow. With the turmoil in Tenn, does this mean Vince Young in Minnesota? Stay tuned for the next episode of…..

14. coutre says: Nov 22, 2010 3:15 PM

Would Chilly been fired so fast if he were black? Singletary has run the 49ers in the ground even faster and he is still around, and Peter King has written any article demanding he be fired. Marvin Lewis has done even worse w/the Bengals. Nothing there either? Are we sure there is no double standard?

15. altefritz says: Nov 22, 2010 3:15 PM

“The past five years have been a tremendous experience for my family and I as the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings.”

Wow, leave it to Chilly to screw up even his farewell letter.

16. citizenstrange says: Nov 22, 2010 3:19 PM

“You mean the headache guy?” ……

What every fan will say the day Harvin retires.

17. andyprough says: Nov 22, 2010 3:19 PM

“His lack of people skills, poor special teams, and terrible clock management will be remembered more than most of the wins. Especially the people skills.”

===================

I’m telling you, the Vikings are going to LOVE Wade Phillips.

Tremendous people skills

18. 8dollarbeer says: Nov 22, 2010 3:25 PM

@nanner12wojo

So you think Childress is the only coach that would have picked Harvin?? I do recall his gloating about how he stole a pick away from Belichick? Just because he flys to Florida doesnt mean Harvin has to like/respect the guy. He went to Florida to meet him bc he wanted Harvin to help him win games, not because he was some nice guy who just wanted to give Harvin a job.

19. iabearsfan says: Nov 22, 2010 3:25 PM

nanner12wojo…………….
    I am a Florida Gator fan and watched Percy when he was beast in college, he was going to be special in the NFL no matter where he went. Childress had absolutly nothing to do with him being the player he is, thats like saying if it was not for Chilly AP would be on the practice squad.

20. steelers6pack says: Nov 22, 2010 3:25 PM

Childress should have said this:
    I came to the organization, took them to playoffs consistantly, owned the NFC North and the only thing I did not do was win a Super Bowl, but this organization never has! Screw the fans as the Vikings will be in L.A. in a few years and I will be an asst coach somewhere else and won’t have to come back to this cold ass hell hole.. By the way Happy Thanksgiving!

21. hotep999 says: Nov 22, 2010 3:28 PM

My crystal ball tells me next season……
    3 Viking players on a plan to recruit Farve to be their head coach…..

22. hotep999 says: Nov 22, 2010 3:29 PM

^Spelling killed the joke!^

23. AlanSaysYo says: Nov 22, 2010 3:30 PM

Peter King doesn’t have to write an article to get Singletary fired; Singletary will just say something stupid enough to get himself fired without any outside intervention.

Chilly all but asked for this. Between his obvious disconnect with the locker room and the way he let Favre run roughshod over the entire organization, he had it coming. He made an incredibly stupid bet and lost.

24. CT Pats Fan says: Nov 22, 2010 3:34 PM

6, 8, 10 then 12 wins. He drafted some good players (Rice, Harvin, Peterson) and traded for Allen.

If he resigned as HC last year, he’d probably be remembered as a success and a net positive for the organization.

25. descendency says: Nov 22, 2010 3:34 PM

Someone will hire him as a GM. Even if he was an epic failure as a coach, that team was built by him. They are as good as they are because of his GM abilities.

26. rarson says: Nov 22, 2010 3:35 PM

I’d actually love to be Childress right now: plenty of time and money to take a nice vacation. Hell, with the money that he’s made as head coach, I’m sure I’d never need to work again. Plus, I’d get to say that I was a head coach in the NFL with a winning record (even if I didn’t really deserve it). Yeah, I’d love to be Childress right now…

27. dman19 says: Nov 22, 2010 3:39 PM

Hope your migraines intensify Percy……jackwagon..

28. pervyharvin says: Nov 22, 2010 3:39 PM

See ya Brad, go have a vodka and support your Marine son. Just time for a change . At least you made it to the biggest coaching level..NFL. More than all the losers on here that mock you. PFT member average IQ has to run 80.

Now if we could just fire some of our fair weather fan losers…you make me sick. I posted all season,where were you? doodlesmack…do you here me son?cusoman,you talk alot and say nothing. To the good Viking fans, keep up the good work..

29. lebronsinsecurity says: Nov 22, 2010 3:43 PM

@coutre

What do you get out of trying to stir the pot?? Trying to turn this nonsense into a racially motivated question screams of ignorance.. No black and white issue here at all

30. flashdeath says: Nov 22, 2010 3:43 PM

When you get blown out at home by a team as bad as the Packers it is time to go. Seeya, Brad.

31. Lisa (VikesPrincess) says: Nov 22, 2010 3:43 PM

FYI – the Twitter account that put the tweet out is NOT the Twitter account of Percy Harvin.

Florio – check your sources!

32. stayclassyflorio says: Nov 22, 2010 3:43 PM

How about some professionalism for once Florio? The Harvin comment was from a FAKE account. The real Percy Harvin has a different twitter name. He made no such comment. It’s a shame that you’ll attempt to libel the man without verifying your sources.

33. mfclock says: Nov 22, 2010 3:44 PM

@coutre – the 49ers and bengals suffer from a lack of talent AND bad coaching – the vikings (and cowboys) should have better records

34. huskerguy says: Nov 22, 2010 3:50 PM

Oh shucks… just when I was starting to enjoy watching Viqueen games. Sigh… at least they will be moving to LA soon.

35. footballfan292 says: Nov 22, 2010 3:50 PM

The problem in Minny isnt just Chilly.

The Vikings are a team that needs to understand that they are not a Super Bowl team. Favre needs to go. And someone needs to go in there and put a rebuilding plan in place. Favre is past his prime. Well past his prime. And he’s not doing anything but holding that team back. They need a young QB. And they will have to go through the growing pains.

36. canadianvikingfaniii says: Nov 22, 2010 3:54 PM

One thing that BETTER change for sure is the amount of carries Adrian Peterson gets.

Last 3 games:
    15 attempts
    17 attempts
    14 attempts

That is just rediculous. Even when you are down points, give it to your playmakers. Teams will be busy playing the pass and so that is the time to hit them with some AP. They’ve done it before, and he has cranked out killer runs that have helped score or sustain drives.

37. claymath52 says: Nov 22, 2010 3:56 PM

Leave it to that classy guy Percy. How many more millions of dollars have you made because Childress picked you in the first round when no one else would? Jerk!

38. truefan2 says: Nov 22, 2010 4:00 PM

I don’t take Harvin’s comments to be disrespectful. Just the opposite. He was trying to avoid taking shots at Childress. He was trying to make the point that his job is to play football, regardless of the coach.

The only thing better would have been to have said nothing at all.

39. maddog111 says: Nov 22, 2010 4:04 PM

coutre says:
    Nov 22, 2010 3:15 PM
    ————————————————
    Are you serious? The 49’ers were already “in the ground” before Singletary got there. He’s a joke and barring an amazing turnaround will be gone after this year. The Bengals are just cheap. They kept Shula there for how long?

40. pigpenrapeswomen says: Nov 22, 2010 4:07 PM

Dear Brad Childress,

I think I speak for all Saints fans when I say this: Thank you so much for leaving 12 men in the huddle last year. That was a beautiful gift.

Also, I think you would make a good fit in Carolina, because you might be able to triple their wins next year.

P.S. Where’s Pervy?

41. purp4lyfe says: Nov 22, 2010 4:08 PM

Man Coach Frazier brings a whole different vibe to the team…….Sunday can’t come soon enough!! SKOL VIKINGS!!

42. allgreenbay says: Nov 22, 2010 4:08 PM

Childress is/was an awful coach and handled the media and his players in an atrocious fashion.

And, for those reasons, I wish he was the coach in Minnesota forever.

43. stellarperformance says: Nov 22, 2010 4:15 PM

There have been so many idiot pro-Viking posters on this site (you know who you are,) that I can hardly contain the temptation to rub it in. But my disdain has given way to pity. And I do not want the Vikings to leave for California or anywhere else, and I’m afraid it may have come to that. They might be the enemy, but dammit, they’re our enemy. Get your ____ together Minnesota.

44. stellarperformance says: Nov 22, 2010 4:19 PM

flashdeath says:
    Nov 22, 2010 3:43 PM
    When you get blown out at home by ANY team as bad as the Packers KICKED OUR ASSES, it is time to go.
    ————————————————

You almost had it right. I made the changes for you.

45. jsprunner says: Nov 22, 2010 4:19 PM

maddog111 says:
    Nov 22, 2010 4:04 PM
    coutre says:
    Nov 22, 2010 3:15 PM
    ————————————————
    Are you serious? The 49′ers were already “in the ground” before Singletary got there. He’s a joke and barring an amazing turnaround will be gone after this year. The Bengals are just cheap. They kept Shula there for how long?

To maddog:
    Thanks – you got to this before I could. There’s always some a$$hole (like coutre) trying to bring race (and sometimes politics) into a completely unrelated situation. We’re at the point that ALL coaches eventually get fired, but Singletary most likely won’t even get a full 3 years on the job. Not saying he deserves any more time, but all these coaches have taken over very different circumstances in very different environments. Almost none can be compared apples-to-apples. Hopefully, people will go back to talking about football.

46. tommytd says: Nov 22, 2010 4:23 PM

Next time this idiot comtemplates selling his soul to a moron, he should think twice about it. He let somebody else control his fate and this is what happens. Too bad…hope #4 is next to go. Those two idiots really deserved one another! GO BEARS.

47. mean13 says: Nov 22, 2010 4:31 PM

When things get that out of control the HC must take the fall. But I do agree that Chilly might make a good GM. Look at who he added to that joke of a team. And Viking fans – those stupid blond pigtail wigs are every bit as ridiculous as the terrible towels.

48. pervyharvin says: Nov 22, 2010 5:03 PM

Just heard a report of Ziggy contacting Bill Parcels. They know each other well. Keep hating Bear and Pack fans. We have lots of talent over here. Add some GOOD guidance and we will be putting the curb stomp on you. I’m rejuvenated!!! hahaha

49. claymath52 says: Nov 22, 2010 5:08 PM

“Singletary has run the 49ers in the ground even faster and he is still around”

Yeah we play the 49ers in two weeks so look for Singletary to be the 3rd coach who’s career we have ended this season.

50. eastsidehunky says: Nov 22, 2010 5:08 PM

That’s what the Vikes get for hiring a guy who looks like a CPA or some functionary government worker for a coach.

If Favre would’ve retired this may have been delayed till the end of the season.

Maybe not…only the Shadow knows!

51. eastsidehunky says: Nov 22, 2010 5:09 PM

Yeah, that’s the ticket…Childress should’ve played the race card!

52. cusoman says: Nov 22, 2010 5:37 PM

pervyharvin says: Nov 22, 2010 3:39 PM

——————

So to be a “good” Vikings fan, I have to act like a jerk by making fun of people’s sexual orientation/family members/jobs/significant others/social standings?

Weren’t you on the support Childress bandwagon anyways? Then I’m sure you’ll enjoy the plethora of Sid Hartman stories coming out soon that bag on the Wilfs and raise up Childress for his masterful 12-4 season last year that HE clearly put together all by himself.

53. ugk612 says: Nov 22, 2010 5:39 PM

Happy trails Chilly Dog!

54. gregbeau says: Nov 22, 2010 6:59 PM

If Favre had been Favre this year and not some old guy who can’t move and can’t throw, the Vikings might be 7-3 and Childress would be planning his playoff run.

Childress may not be perfect, but don’t try to convince me he is all bad.

55. pervyharvin says: Nov 22, 2010 7:26 PM

cusoman says:Thanks for the compliment man, I strive to be a “bad” Vikings fan every day of my life, and it’s nice to see that recognized, even if it is by some anonymous troll.
    ======================================
    See cusoman, there you go.Just implicated yourself for what we all knew . You are some Patton Oswalt “Big Fan” but I am a lowly troll. Just like you said I am a giant Homer yesterday. You drew first blood Sheriff Teasle. You and I can become the NEW Favre-Chilly schism. You must be some pseudo elitist Minneapolis suburban doucher…I’m just a real fan…

56. commandercornpone says: Nov 22, 2010 8:18 PM

actually the yorks are probly skeered iron mike will try to go ninja on them.

singletary cannot even handle a presser. i have had several aliases here and i must retract all nice things i have said about singletary,

harvin just should have said no comment. he got his way. chilly is gone.

////////////////////

blacks inject race into everything. it is the only card most of them have to play.

it is fair for someone else to do it.

whatsamatta fellas, cant stand the heat?

we arent living in a post racial world when the dipschitt foreigner in the white house is forcing fliers (usually educated peopel who didnt vote for dimmyrats) to submit to wanton sexual harassment.

profile fliers instead; we know who the risks are.

profile politicans too;we know who the risks are.

57. satanicxhellxcreature says: Nov 22, 2010 9:16 PM

pigpenrapeswomen says: Nov 22, 2010 4:07 PM

Dear Brad Childress,

——————————————————
    Hey, look at that, they’re finally admitting the NFCCG was gifted to them and not earned.

58. bigdad10359 says: Nov 23, 2010 1:05 AM

Percy Harvin is the biggest choker in pro football….I wonder who has the larger vagina, him or Albert Haynesworth?

59. lance19 says: Nov 23, 2010 4:04 AM

Will somebody please make the
    “W.I.L.F.” joke, so I can get
    back to work?

60. j0esixpack says: Nov 23, 2010 9:41 AM

You had me at “goodbye” Brad… you had me at “goodbye”

61. ybo1 says: Nov 23, 2010 2:54 PM

I’m not a Chili fan but the guy did leave with some class, unlike other people from this team. I didn’t take Percy’s tweet that serious. Maybe he was trying to draw attention away from it, or he said it in frustration so he can move on and concentrate. Percy’s first year was a huge success even if it didn’t include a SB. He got to the NSC playoff game. He got rookie of the year. He is the one bright spot this year. Twitter should not be taken as anything but silly quotes. Get over it. Back to Childress, I wish him luck, and even though I never thought him much of a coach he does have a good eye for talent. I also know he had help with picking that talent and those guys are still there, one of them former Viking Scott Studwell. It’s too bad that once he got them here, they lost respect for him. That’s good enough reason for him to be gone. Good luck Brad. Unless Ziggie finds a way to get some back, enjoy the cash!