Bernard Berrian opens up about Brad Childress

Jason Allen, Bernard Berrian

On Monday, the Vikings sent out a series of player quotes that some of you suspected were all written by the same person.  And that the person who wrote the words wasn’t one of the nine players.

On Tuesday, Vikings receiver Bernard Berrian offered up some spoken, not written, words during a visit with Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of Sirius NFL Radio.

Berrian reluctantly conceded that Childress has lost the locker room.

“Yeah, you could say it happened, yeah,” Berrian said.  “I mean, yeah it did.  I mean it just, I think people got to a point where it was just, it was too overbearing.”

Berrian said that the problem was Childress’ personality.

“He was just confrontational,” Berrian said.  “I think that was the biggest thing.  Instead of, you know, going to players like men and just talking and conversating about it, it was kind of brought to their attention in a confrontational way and just people just didn’t really conform to that way of, I guess, him talking and speaking to his team, or players individually.”

We’ve heard many accounts of players feeling that way about Childress, but Berrian is the first one to open up about it.  We suspect that, in time, others will, too.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
56 Responses to “Bernard Berrian opens up about Brad Childress”
  1. smootysmoot says: Nov 23, 2010 8:41 PM

Bernard Berrian says:

“Yeah, you could say it happened, yeah,” Berrian said. “I mean, yeah it did. I mean it just, I think people got to a point where it was just, it was too overbearing.”

Wow…… Very well put, Genius!

2. Spoonthis says: Nov 23, 2010 8:45 PM

Well Bernard, thanks for opening up. Hopefully your new coach in the UFL next year will be a softy.

3. ArtModellsPimp says: Nov 23, 2010 8:45 PM

Maybe a group hug would help. This generation of NFL players is chock full of pansies.

The man is gone. Get over it. Move on.

4. Spoonthis says: Nov 23, 2010 8:47 PM

Oh and good job on Minute to Win It. Great athletic ability you have. It’s was a good thing the games you played didn’t involve catching things.

5. alldayap says: Nov 23, 2010 8:47 PM

Hey Bernard, try getting open and catching the ball you overpaid bum.

6. Mac Heath says: Nov 23, 2010 8:48 PM

Yeah, I don’t know what the hell this says.

7. citizenstrange says: Nov 23, 2010 8:51 PM

conversating

8. poiuyt7 says: Nov 23, 2010 8:51 PM

I don’t think Lombardi did too much conversating with his team.

9. deskjetbill says: Nov 23, 2010 8:52 PM

I can’t believe these people are millionaires. My 8 month old can put together better sentences than that.

We’re all doomed!!!

10. tramonisland says: Nov 23, 2010 8:53 PM

Bernard Berrian says:

————————————————-
    I didn’t know English was a second language for Bernard.

11. sacram3ntal says: Nov 23, 2010 9:01 PM

smootysmoot says:
    Nov 23, 2010 8:41 PM
    Bernard Berrian says:

Wow…… Very well put, Genius!
    *************

Oh, stop it.
    It was a radio interview, and that’s what it sounds like when someone wants to answer a question honestly, but isn’t sure how much they should say.

Regardless, it’s better than those BULLSPIT “player quotes” the team circulated about Childress leaving.

12. packerhater says: Nov 23, 2010 9:01 PM

Boy , I mean boy , the school system he was in , I mean sure failed him.

13. stevedigre says: Nov 23, 2010 9:07 PM

No surprises here. A number of players have left over the years due to Chilly.

14. uncommon1 says: Nov 23, 2010 9:13 PM

I guess, like um , B-Twice, just, I mean, he doesn’t conform, to I mean, aah….Bernard Berrian is bad at football

15. clear2me says: Nov 23, 2010 9:16 PM

“Conversating???”

Hey Bernard way to “man up” after the fact about your ex coach. If Childress lost the locker room, one could also say that Berrian somehow lost his ability on the field. If Frazier is as good a coach as everyone thinks, he should be sitting this guy next week against the ‘Skins. He’s been useless all season.

16. pervyharvin says: Nov 23, 2010 9:16 PM

“He was just confrontational,” Berrian said. “I think that was the biggest thing.
    ======================================You mean you didn’t like it when Chilly told you that you are a wuss and are not pulling your weight? We need to lose dead weight like B Twice(his fantasy world glamor name)

17. pervyoccam says: Nov 23, 2010 9:16 PM

“…and conversating about it,….”

I’m proud to have readed this.

18. backdapack says: Nov 23, 2010 9:28 PM

Chilly’s fault?

Chilly lost the locker room when he handed it over to BrINT Favre. I doubt he gets another shot at a HC job any time soon, but i bet he would do it a whole lot different next time.

today’s players are young talented men that hunger for discipline and leadership. Chilly showed none of that….rather, he allowed 1 player to become greater than the whole team….huge mistake and he paid the price (credit to Thompson and McCarthy for not allowing this nonesense in Green Bay).

BrINT is very good at throwing backbreaking picks and getting coaches fired!

19. 4sacroc says: Nov 23, 2010 9:40 PM

Conversating?

I mean, really. How do you talk to a guy who says “conversating.”

And you wanna be my union rep, Mr. Berrian?

20. richm2256 says: Nov 23, 2010 9:40 PM

He DIDN’T say “conversating”…… tell me he didn’t say that.

21. 4sacroc says: Nov 23, 2010 9:42 PM

Figures the guy who hates criticism is the guy making all the coin who flat-out sucks.

22. superbowlhomeboy says: Nov 23, 2010 9:44 PM

“Wow…… Very well put, Genius!”

He makes more money than you ever will…

23. icewalker946 says: Nov 23, 2010 9:44 PM

“Instead of, you know, going to players like men and just talking and conversating about it, it was kind of brought to their attention in a confrontational way and just people just didn’t really conform to that way of, I guess, him talking and speaking to his team, or players individually.”

Which means, “We’ve been babied our whole lives and now this dude wants to start getting up in our grills and we are all like ‘nuh-uh’. We ain’t havin’ any of that. Know what I mean?

24. Dynasty says: Nov 23, 2010 9:47 PM

Berrian sucks. The guy had a few could games and is just a roster fill. With Sidney back no one will hear his name anymore.

25. vikepsych says: Nov 23, 2010 9:48 PM

It’s only fitting that the picture associated with this story is that of an interception which, no doubt, occurred as BB gave up on a route, tweaked a hammy or grew alligator arms! As is usually the case, the guy with the least amount of space to speak is speaking the loudest.

26. gridassassin says: Nov 23, 2010 9:51 PM

Conversating…. Lol, although favre and chilly have cost the vikes a boatload of money, berrian was their worst investment in the past few years. His departure from Chicago allowed the bears to resign perennial pro bowler lance Briggs.

Berrian is depriving some village of it’s idiot.

27. zatko says: Nov 23, 2010 9:55 PM

I didn’t care for Childress much but BB has never lived up to his contract so I’m not sure he should be talking.

Remember, people who live in glass houses shouldn’t take a crap during the day.

– Z

28. packattack75 says: Nov 23, 2010 9:58 PM

Coming up next…… Pervy and Chilly will open up about their intimate relationship. Rumor is they shared a kleenex together after the beat down by the Packers. Well, at least you still have the poster of Brent’s junk on your trailer’s wall.

29. ilovefoolsball says: Nov 23, 2010 10:01 PM

What has Bernard Berrian contributed to pro sports in recent memory?

30. majikbullet says: Nov 23, 2010 10:11 PM

BB is a chump who has had one good game all year…Nice to see him throw his coach under the bus…classy move by a Viking…typical

31. rickvaldez says: Nov 23, 2010 10:20 PM

Do people just like to read the story and post a negative comment? And the moron that keeps typing BrINT are you jealous of the guy? You think he sucks so bad then why has he been in the league so long?

32. raideralex99 says: Nov 23, 2010 10:21 PM

backdapack says:
    Nov 23, 2010 9:28 PM
    Chilly’s fault?

Chilly lost the locker room when he handed it over to BrINT Favre.
    _______________________________________

I getting sick of morons like you calling down Favre … have some respect … Favre after 20 years in the NFL he deserves it. That’s the problem with people in today’s society … no respect … yet you put some college stars on a pedestal before they take his first snaps like JaMarcus and the bum is out of the league within 3 years BUT someone who has proven themself to be in the HOF worthy … you crap on.

Correct me if I’m wrong … Favre threw for over 400 yds an couple of weeks ago … does that sound like a QB who should retire?

33. mezanine10 says: Nov 23, 2010 10:57 PM

No worries. Childress can now focus on his successful TV series on AMC where he produces and deals Crystal Meth.

34. bluestree says: Nov 23, 2010 11:00 PM

richm2256 says:
    Nov 23, 2010 9:40 PM
    He DIDN’T say “conversating”…… tell me he didn’t say that.
    ——————————————-

He did, but don’t worry, Sarah Palin just refudiated it.

35. spudzzzz says: Nov 23, 2010 11:03 PM

superbowlhomeboy says:
    Nov 23, 2010 9:44 PM
    “Wow…… Very well put, Genius!”

He makes more money than you ever will…

Pathetic isnt it….

36. bigbeefyd says: Nov 23, 2010 11:07 PM

I love conversating with people. I hate it when my browser spell check says conversating isn’t a real word. But then I remember that I actually had a major in college and nobody took my tests for me.

37. didiwags says: Nov 23, 2010 11:07 PM

No I dont think Childress ever had much control of the locker room. He does not know how to treat anyone like a person and just wants drama!! He never treated anyone very well and it finally took it’s toll!

38. nupurpleheart says: Nov 23, 2010 11:08 PM

Lombardi would have never made it today as a NFL coach with this press! The young NFL players are not in step with what it takes to win! They look at everyone else as the problem! In the end it comes down to who you are and what it takes to be the best you can be. The coach can only do so much! Childress was not perfect, he obviously needed to learn how to communicate better, however, he did have back to back NFC North titles. All coaches in this league make mistakes. Minnesota’s has been magnified because they have not lived up to the fan and press expectations this year. Great pressure on this team to perform. Childress was the fall guy!!

I am also tired of hearing about Favre’s turnovers if you go back and look at the tapes you will see that at least 10 of his interceptions were not his fault, again looking at Favre as the problem does not tell the whole story here. Sure he could have played better as could the whole team. They could just have easily been 7-3 then 3-7 with some breaks. Like Dungy has said the Margin of winning and losing in the NFL is very small. But hey the press needs to put a negative spin on these things to have something to write about………………….

39. pervyharvin says: Nov 23, 2010 11:17 PM

packattack75 says:Coming up next…… Pervy and Chilly will open up about their intimate relationship.
    ======================================
    I touch your cheek and say ‘thinner” white man from town….

40. mean13 says: Nov 23, 2010 11:34 PM

Who cares what a washed up loser like Berrian has to say? Why would Schein and Gannon waste their time on this turd?

41. richm2256 says: Nov 23, 2010 11:35 PM

pervyoccam says:
    I’m proud to have readed this.

bluestree says:
    but don’t worry, Sarah Palin just refudiated it.
    ————————————————-

It’s a toss-up, they both made me laugh out loud. Thanks to both of you.

42. canadianvikingfaniii says: Nov 23, 2010 11:35 PM

Conversating
    intransitive verb. [con - ver - say - ting]
    1. To converse in a way only achievable by speaking to Bernard Berrian (see. Soft 9 route runner)

Origin:
    2010 – Vikings.

43. theoriginalcaptainmarvel says: Nov 23, 2010 11:50 PM

I’m not gonna trash all Packer fans, but the comments here once again show how classless, stupid, and jealous some of them are. Same thing with all the Favre haters. Why do you care so much? Why comment on an artice about Bernard Berrian, calling him stupid? You people are jealous, lazy, under-employed idiots…so you should really quit talking. Bottom line: Childress was a lousy coach.

44. Lisa (VikesPrincess) says: Nov 23, 2010 11:50 PM

@percyharvin

You said, “I touch your cheek and say ‘thinner” white man from town…”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    … and I laughed. That was hilarious.

45. packattack75 says: Nov 23, 2010 11:56 PM

#
    pervyharvin says: Nov 23, 2010 11:17 PM

======================================
    I touch your cheek and say ‘thinner” white man from town….
    _____________________________________

Pervy what are you doing on here? I thought you quit posting after the Packers made you an emotional wreck. Weren’t you going shrimping with your buddy Brent?

46. bloodline52 says: Nov 24, 2010 12:00 AM

It’s players like Berrian that make Chilly happy about losing his job.

47. backdapack says: Nov 24, 2010 12:11 AM

——————–

BrINT “deserves” to get paid for what he does and he gets paid very well. other than that, he has done nothing to “earn” respect…put the bong down.

yes, he did throw for over 400 yards against the worst team in the NFL….congrats!

and BrINT also leads the NFL in INT’s.

hilarious that you would use the word retire when talking about BrINT.

48. rgledz says: Nov 24, 2010 12:49 AM

What a bunch of judgemental bitches most of you are. Oh my God, a radio interview didn’t transfer well to print so he must be an idiot. I’m sure all of you masters of the english language are squeezing in a quick post before your mensa meetings. What a bunch of bitches.

49. packerhater says: Nov 24, 2010 12:57 AM

Funny how quickly Packer fans turn on their heros.No wonder Lombardi wanted to get the hell out of there.

50. doe22us says: Nov 24, 2010 1:07 AM

i feel like sometimes when i read quotes by players my IQ goes down a tad bit.. conversating???? really get the hell out of here!!!!

51. norcaleagles says: Nov 24, 2010 1:14 AM

OK, the media got on Childress after he made comments about how Brett needs to not force balls and take care of the ball a little better. They said Chilly nees to keep that “in house”, but its OK for half of his damn team runs their mouth about him, huh? And howcome nobody has made a big deal about Tom COughlin saying that Manning needs to slide forward and not fumble the ball. Isnt that the same thing Chilly did? And isnt he the same coach that coached the vikings to a 1st round bye in last years playoffs? That team has no heart and gave up on their coach AND their fans. I guess someone has to get the blame.

52. steve7009 says: Nov 24, 2010 3:51 AM

When your players are playing like crap.. how is coach supposed to be Mr Nice Guy. Don`t worry Brad, plenty o teams looking for coaches next year.

53. jimmy1smith says: Nov 24, 2010 7:42 AM

The plain fact of the matter is that Childress should have never been a head coach in the first place. He had problems with his personality (or lack thereof) with the Eagles, he didn’t even call the plays as an OC in Philly, and he is generally an all round dumbass. Only in MN could a guy like that get hired and worse yet, get a contract extension.

But leave it to the Vikings to amass the talent level they have on that team and turn it over to Childress. Its like giving the keys to an Indy 500 car to your teenager that just got her license.

And leave it to the CryQueen fans to defend this dumb ass thru the years. So when we remind them that they don’t know jack about football, Exhibit A is their loyal but misguided, ill-informed defense of Col Clueless Klink. Not only did this clown blow last year’s NFC game, he deep sixed the 2010 season and cost the team a third round draft choice on the Moss deal.

54. heavythumb says: Nov 24, 2010 9:13 AM

“Confrontational”?

This from the guy who has spent most of the season arguing with fans on twitter?

55. calloustongue says: Nov 24, 2010 9:15 AM

Quit complaining about Packer fans commenting on Vikings boards. You turds filled our threads with your ignorant, hate filled crap all preseason and up until last week, you were still running your mouths.

Take you medicine like a big boy and STFU.

Pervy, why are you still here? I though you had tough guy stuff to do, and women to go meet? Looks like your pretty much a liar, loser, and a hypocrite. Your addicted to this site and can’t quit, even after ranting and raving 50x about this being your last post..and blah blah blah.

Good to see you changed your mind. Even funnier to see you created alternate accounts to comment on your own posts. Your such a winner.

SKOL!