Chris Henry’s mother gets her closure

ChrisHenry

In one of the most powerful and emotional television segments we’ve ever seen, CBS told the story of Chris Henry during the Patriots-Lions pregame show.  We all know many of the details regarding the life and death of former West Virginia University and Cincinnati Bengals receiver.  But there was more to the story that not many previously knew.

After it was clear that a December 2010 accident would claim his life, Henry’s mother decided to donate his organs.  Four different families benefited from the gift, and CBS has crafted a moving account of the day on which Carolyn Glaspy met the people whose lives were saved in the wake of her son’s passing.

Meeting with the persons who received a second chance at life because of Chris Henry’s death, Carolyn Glaspy said before breaking down, “I think this is my closure.”

Following the segment, NFL Today host James Brown couldn’t speak.  Boomer Esiason stepped in, and his voice broke as he pointed out that his son, Gunnar, may eventually need a lung transplant due to cystic fibrosis, a disease that has prompted Boomer to raise millions of dollars over the years for research into a cure.

We’re hoping to track down a link to the video.  When we do, we’ll share it here.  After you watch it, we predict you’ll call a loved one into the room to watch it with you again.

UPDATE:  The video has been posted at the CBS Sports website.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Chris Henry’s mother gets her closure”
  1. belichickee says: Nov 25, 2010 1:03 PM

That was an absolutely beautiful piece. God Bless Ms. Glasby for the gift she gave those families.

2. rammerray says: Nov 25, 2010 1:05 PM

It was a touching piece, indeed. Even James Brown got choked up on TV.

3. livenbreathefootball says: Nov 25, 2010 1:07 PM

The line that got me was the one recipient saying “Life is not about the breathes you take, but the moments that take your breathe away.”

God bless Ms. Glasby and all the families of organ donors. There are many people thankful today for the gift of life your loved one gave.

4. bears354 says: Nov 25, 2010 1:13 PM

This segment hit me hard. My best friend has kidney disease and needs a transplant. He has been on dialysis for over 5 years. Give thanks for what you have today and everyday. Be an organ donor. Donate Life.

5. mrone50 says: Nov 25, 2010 1:25 PM

Thanks for giving Mrs. Glaspy and God bless Travis Henry. Thank you for blessing this world with you kindness. Let us pray that this will spark some humanity into the lives of the living and we all strive to help out our fellow man, woman, and child. Happy Thanksgiving to all who read this.

6. niceguyshawne says: Nov 25, 2010 1:43 PM

It was an absolutely beautiful piece. What a great gift to be able to give four families.

7. hobartbaker says: Nov 25, 2010 1:43 PM

Loved the clip, Mike. I was blubbering like a baby.

But my dog Buster seemed unmoved by it all.

8. east96st says: Nov 25, 2010 2:06 PM

Florio – Now take the next step. Make this link part of your website. There’s no excuse not be an organ donor. Whether you believe in an after life or not, you won’t need your organs wherever you’re going and someone here, as Esiason proves – it is often a child, needs them desperately. C’mon, men, if you DO end up face to face with your God, wouldn’t it feel better to be able say the very last thing you did was save a life?

9. cav2ya says: Nov 25, 2010 2:18 PM

Dec 2010?
    so you guys CAN tell the future of football…

10. russel5 says: Nov 25, 2010 2:18 PM

Pretty sure Henry died last year (December 2009) not next month. (December 2010) Happy Thanksgiving to the pft proofreaders!

11. jajibokum says: Nov 25, 2010 2:19 PM

Steeler fan here. That was an awesome story about what really matters in life. And that is human connection.

I was in tears at the end. James Brown was so moved he couldn’t even speak. I hope you all get a chance to see this piece.

12. robb04 says: Nov 25, 2010 2:26 PM

An incredible gift given to many more than just the 4 recipients.

“the moments that take your breath away.” Very nice.

13. gpt55 says: Nov 25, 2010 3:23 PM

The video is on the CBS website:

14. moolah954 says: Nov 25, 2010 3:34 PM

raiderchile says:
    Nov 25, 2010 2:02 PM
    He was a thug who beat up women. He got what he deserved. Too bad he didn’t go to jail to get topped by real men.

And your a stupid moron….out of all the morons in this world your the stupidest

15. kenhawk says: Nov 25, 2010 3:39 PM

Amazing and heartbreaking. Reading about his 1 year old trying to wake him up just twisted my guts.

16. joetoronto says: Nov 25, 2010 3:43 PM

raiderchile says: Nov 25, 2010 2:02 PM

*********************************************************
    No matter how bad Henry was, his mother will have a huge hole in her heart forever.

I’m guessing you don’t have any kids.

17. rgledz says: Nov 25, 2010 4:01 PM

@raiderchile…

What an incredible waste of oxygen you are. The point is that 4 people who were dying are alive today because of his mother’s decision to donate his organs. I’m sure that those 4 people are counting their blessings today, something I’m sure you’re incapable of doing. Way to bring the negativity you worthless, weak little man. Good luck living with yourself coward.

18. joerevs300 says: Nov 25, 2010 4:02 PM

I absolutely agree with Mike, I have NEVER seen a pregame anything that moved me to the level that this story did.

My father recently had a very bad accident, and right now cannot walk and has lost his short term memory, and still faces a long, hard recovery. When I talked to him today, he told me “You kids (I’m the youngest of 5 at 34) are my blessing; without you I would have nothing”.

This Thanksgiving, take stock of your lives and give thanks for everything God has done. Because it can all be gone in a flash.

19. steelers6pack says: Nov 25, 2010 4:44 PM

moolah954 is right about thos punk!
    Possesion of marijuana, driving without a license or insurance, had gun charges brought against him, supplying alcohol to minor females, sexually assualted an 18 year old female, suspend by NFL for substance abuse policy and assaulted a valet! CBS did a nice story, HOWEVER TELL THE WHOLE STORY!

20. superbengalfan says: Nov 25, 2010 7:25 PM

I was surprised to my reaction, a year later and I just cried like it just happened yesterday. It is a human story and because Chris was so troubled I remember pulling for him so much that undoubtedly I became emotionally attached. His autopsy showed he had traumas to his brain that affected his behavior. I miss him but he lives on and I wish I saw the part with James Brown and Boomer Esiason after the piece aired.

21. bmeister316 says: Nov 25, 2010 8:56 PM

moolah954 and steelers6pack are just racist idiots

22. monkeesfan says: Nov 25, 2010 11:09 PM

The piece took the breath out of me. From tragedy to salvation for others – Carolyn Glasby said it all.

23. obamablowz says: Nov 26, 2010 4:35 AM

Anytime you talk about a minority your’re labeled a racist I guess…..I could care less about this Chris Henry…Just glad to see people living through his body parts. Just hope nobody got his brain.

24. dallasbaby says: Nov 26, 2010 9:32 AM

Rest in peace Chris Henry.

25. mobuccsfan says: Nov 26, 2010 10:09 AM

I just watched the video…very moving, powerful and touching indeed. People should not judge others and I’m not even a very religious person, more spiritual than anything. Chris Henry had problems, he had issues and his own demons to tackle. We all do and we all have skeletons in our closet, no matter how big or small.

Another point, I would like to make, in regards to racism…notice two of the four recipients were Caucasian. Why is this significant? This should serve as a reminder to people that regardless of skin color, sexual orientation, religious preference etc, that we all have similar bodies and functions. I bleed just like my fellow man and woman. I hurt and have heartaches just like they do. People should wake up and stop already with the unintelligent banter, stop with the hate crimes already, stop with labeling and judging people and put an end to their ignorance, once and for all. Sadly, I don’t see that happening but it sure would be a different world if everyone would try to get on the same page for a change. The past is terrible and many mistakes were made and no matter how much we would like to go back and change things, we can’t. But we can learn and get better.

Back to the football side of this…there was no doubt Chris Henry was a talented player and a lot of fun to watch. And I’m a Buccaneers fan. I’m also white and would like to apologize for slavery, of all levels and races. It shouldn’t have happened and shouldn’t still happen in some nations, sex slavery, etc. It’s sickening and terrible to treat people that way, regardless of what religion or lack thereof that people believe.

26. rammerray says: Nov 26, 2010 2:31 PM

mrone50: It was CHRIS Henry, NOT TRAVIS!

27. joetoronto says: Nov 27, 2010 7:44 AM

mobuccsfan says: Nov 26, 2010 10:09 AM

*******************************************************
    Hang on, you’re apologizing on behalf of the white race???

Hell, why stop there, German people should apologize for the Nazi’s, Black and Mexican people should apologize for street gangs, Italian people should apologize for the Mafia, ect, ect.

What a joke this world has become.