Andre Johnson says he’s sorry

After showing a rare loss of composure during Sunday’s win over the Titans, Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson tried to make amends after the game.

“I want to apologize to the organization, our owner and my teammates. What happened out there today wasn’t me,” Johnson said.   “I just lost my cool. I wish I could take back what happened. I can’t. It’s over and done with now. I’m pretty sure I’ll be disciplined. I’ll have to deal with it.”

The question now becomes whether Johnson will get fined or suspended.  He acknowledged a suspension is possible, although the Texans will hope that the video shows Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan instigated the altercation.

“When that time comes, I’ll find out what it is and have to deal with it from there,” Johnson said.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that the league will decide whether to issue a suspension on Monday; Houston plays Thursday night against the Eagles.   Finnegan has been fined repeatedly this year and could take a big hit as well.

The Texans didn’t seem overly concerned.  Johnson got a game ball, the organization bragged about him trending on Twitter, and owner Bob McNair had this to say about the fight.

“I awarded it to Andre on points.”

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans
32 Responses to “Andre Johnson says he’s sorry”
  1. joetoronto says: Nov 28, 2010 10:05 PM

“Finnegan has been fined repeatedly this year and could take a big hit as well.”

This A-hole actually came out and said earlier this year that he wants to be known as the dirtiest player in the league.

They should suspend his ass for the rest of the year and cool his ass out.

2. vastherd says: Nov 28, 2010 10:09 PM

Cortland should change his last name to Innegan because Andre beat the F out of him.

3. charly0418 says: Nov 28, 2010 10:11 PM

And we say “Thank You” Andre

4. ubetcha163 says: Nov 28, 2010 10:12 PM

Cortland Finnegan is a classless piece of trash!

5. Andre's Johnson says: Nov 28, 2010 10:19 PM

Loss of emotion? Seriously, Greggg?

Loss of composure maybe, but he seemed pretty emotional to me.

6. sweetnlow44 says: Nov 28, 2010 10:23 PM

The only thing he should appologize for is for not whooping Finnegan’s ass even more.

7. takingbacksundays5 says: Nov 28, 2010 10:23 PM

The only thing he should be sorry for is not knocking Finnegan out.

That being said, everyone is an Andre Johnson fan today. Save for Titans fans. Maybe.

8. steelers6pack says: Nov 28, 2010 10:28 PM

If no suspension, then that shows how soft Godell and his henchmen are! Punches thrown by both players should be a 2 game suspension if “he is so hardcore!” A QB gets hit in the shouldpads and he gets fined weekly!

9. texasphinsfan says: Nov 28, 2010 10:46 PM

Even Titans fans enjoyed watching that

10. mrbigass says: Nov 28, 2010 10:54 PM

Johnson is a class act and note that he immediately apologized for his loss of composure for kicking Finngegan’s butt. You can be sure that no apology will be forthcoming from him as he has no class.

11. 8dollarbeer says: Nov 28, 2010 10:55 PM

@ steeler6pack

steelers6pack says:
    Nov 28, 2010 10:28 PM

******************************************

Will you Steelers fans ever quit crying about how the league treats you wrong? What you should be worried about is your crap O-line, and the fact you needed the Bills to drop a TD pass in OT to beat them. I repeat, you needed OT to beat the Bills!!

12. tatum064 says: Nov 28, 2010 11:09 PM

Finnegan got his a$% whooped, but i like the guy. Doesnt back down…ever.

It’ll be interesting to see if Johnson gets an additional fine for touching a ref..as the ref eased him back off the field Johnson raked his hands off of him….lets see if he gets a fine, or they give him a break on a record breaking day.

It may be time for Jeff Fisher to look for the exit…its falling apart quickly here.

13. goldsteel says: Nov 28, 2010 11:21 PM

It appears it was Johnson that initiated the fight. Both players may be fined a little but neither will be suspended. How do I know? Because they aren’t Steelers.

Roger Goodell, this is the NFL. Not that fantasy land you attempt to project.

Fire Goodell.

14. pigpenrapeswomen says: Nov 28, 2010 11:24 PM

Normally I hate seeing things like this on the field…..

…..unless it is directed at Cortland Finnegan. Andre whooped his ass!!!!

15. nagaswan says: Nov 28, 2010 11:30 PM

You all are sick. Let’s have some high school kids start doing this and see what you say.

16. Deb says: Nov 28, 2010 11:32 PM

If that idiot Seymour didn’t get suspended for a completely unprovoked attack on an unsuspecting QB (yes, Raider fools, it was an unprovoked attack according to Seymour), then Johnson shouldn’t be suspended for reacting to Finnegan’s usual shenanigans.

17. realitypolice says: Nov 28, 2010 11:49 PM

Cortland Finnegan got his ass kicked.

For him to jump up and act like he was just trying to get AJ kicked out is a bitch act.

Finnegan is a punk.

18. seanx40 says: Nov 28, 2010 11:51 PM

Vince Young-take notes on this (assuming you know how to take notes. That Wonderlick score indicates otherwise).

This is how you act, and what you say when you are sorry for something. And mean it.

19. bucks12965 says: Nov 28, 2010 11:52 PM

Nice to see Andre go Captain Kirk by beating the tar out of Finnegan.

20. rgledz says: Nov 28, 2010 11:53 PM

@steeler6pack

The only person in the NFL that should be suspended this week is James Harrison. He just does not get it! He launched himself into Fitzpatrick with the helmet leading the way again. He does it weekly. Sit him down for a week and maybe he can think about retiring again. That’s Johnson’s first offense, fine…yes, suspension…no. Finnegan should be done for a week though. Especially for that clown hair he had going.

21. charly0418 says: Nov 29, 2010 12:15 AM

I love how Steelers fans complain every time they get a chance.

Shut the hell up

22. Deb says: Nov 29, 2010 12:15 AM

@8dollarbeer …

The Bills took the Ravens to OT, too. Watch out for them. Chan Gailey knows what he’s doing, and they’ve got some talented guys on that team. And at this point it goes without saying that Steelers fans worry about their o-line. It’s out lot in life.

As for whining … I can’t speak for the other fans, but my problem is with an inconsistent commissioner who plays fast and loose with the rules at his own pleasure and for his own reasons. If they want to flag–or even fine–egregious hits, that’s okay. But so far, only one of Harrison’s hits has fallen into that category: the hit on Massaquoi in the Browns game.

I don’t want to see any players seriously injured, but o-linemen going for defenders’ knees is a bigger cause of serious injury than James Harrison or any linebacker has ever been, and I don’t recall Goodell fining a lot of o-linemen. Goodell didn’t spear Drew Brees and he didn’t spear Fitzpatrick today. Was it a hard hit? Yeah. Seems to me the NFL just five minutes ago was using those hard hits to sell the sport. If you’ve read many of my posts, then you should know I’d be making the same complaints whether these flags were going against Harrison or Ray Lewis. It’s a contact sport, and the megalomaniacal commissioner is going too far. And believe me, player safety is the least of this guy’s concerns.

@rgledz …

Hmm … I love football and wearing dresses. After reading your blathering about Harrison, apparently you’d love to see football players wearing dresses. Can we just let the men play, please?

23. canadianvikingfaniii says: Nov 29, 2010 2:45 AM

Andre Johnson is pure class, he had every right to beat the crap out of Fairyman and too bad he didn’t get anymore shots on that dirtyass SMURF.

24. artrooney says: Nov 29, 2010 3:44 AM

8dollarbeer says:

******************************************

You are probably one of the many still moaning in agony about how the Seahawks were screwed in the Super Bowl 5 years ago, and now that we’re getting royally shafted by Goodell and his referee minions (yet still winning), you want to call us out. Can’t have it both ways there kiddo.

And this same Bills team took the Ravens into OT and the same Bills that lost to KC and the Bears by only 3. They’re not as bad as their record indicates.

25. contract says: Nov 29, 2010 8:35 AM

Goodell will not be amused about the game ball and Bob McNair making light of the fight.

26. serr8d says: Nov 29, 2010 9:49 AM

Neither one of these guys are saints. Give credit where credit is due: Finnegan is a red-headed Irishman who won’t back down from anyone, no matter what his size. Andre Johnson got fined $7500 last season for dragging Finnegan to the ground with his facemask. No love lost between these two, or between the Texans and the Titans.

This will make for an interesting rematch December 19. Maybe the suspensions should be dealt to both of ‘em for that game.

27. cleverbob says: Nov 29, 2010 10:07 AM

I wouldn’t mind the Birds not having to worry about Johnson in 3 days…

28. steelersmichele says: Nov 29, 2010 11:15 AM

I think everyone telling Steelers fans to shut up and quit whining should look in the mirror and take their own advice.

We hear the same thing OVER AND OVER regarding the Super Bowls. How many years ago was SBXL, and every chance someone gets, all they talk about was how the refs gave us that game.

So here is the deal–quit whining about those games and complaining about how the refs helped us out and we’ll stop talking about Harrison and the refs…

The “whining” goes both ways and we’re tired of it too.

29. 1down2fortheshow says: Nov 29, 2010 11:16 AM

Even though a Titan fan, I was glad for this outcome. Not a MMA sort, but sometimes it’s nice when a player who taunts and goads finally has to face the music.

If one player can hit you in the throat and jaw with the palm of his hand repeatedly and that is considered “fair play”, then you have to be prepared for the matter to be resolved the way it was.

People love the phrase, “hate him unless he’s on your team”– not me, just play the game and no matter where you are or what you do, eventually someone will offer you corrective behavior if you are a punk.

30. mswravens says: Nov 29, 2010 1:38 PM

All the whining from Pittsburgh gives new meaning to the name “Squealers”…but for real, Deb & the rest of you Steeler fans:

Look at yourselves in the mirror! For the last couple years, the Ravens have been flagged for breathing hard on QBs or brushing up against receivers…even Jason Whitlock from KC has complained about it…and when Ravens’ fans complained you called us all a bunch of whiners. Now the shoe is on the other foot. How does it fit? Feel good? Good…then resume your hypocritical whining about cheap shot wife beating James Harrison & go back to rooting for your rapist QB…yeah, your franchise holds itself to a higher standard! What a joke!!!

31. fmwarner says: Nov 29, 2010 2:44 PM

Wow, now the Steeler fans are even coming into posts that have nothing to do with them to complain about how their thug is treated by the league.

32. Deb says: Nov 29, 2010 5:09 PM

@mswravens …

Gee, that was mature. The only time I’ve picked on Lewis was when he looked like he was gonna cry giving his “I am man, hear me roar” speech. Ray does get a lil carried away sometimes. Otherwise, I’ve consistently praised Lewis and Ed Reed and defended the way they play the game. So you have no reason to call me out for hypocrisy, you little twit. I’ve also consistently defended Ray when our guys have called him a murderer because he didn’t murder anybody–anymore than Roethlisberger raped anybody or Harrison beat his wife.

If Goodell singled out any Ravens players for $100,000 in fines, I’m unaware of it. If he went on television and talked about how he needed to consider suspending the Ravens because of their aggressive play, I’m unaware of it. Maybe instead of all the rapistberger nonsense you should have been making the rest of us aware of it.

Goodell’s master plan will have as big an impact on how the Ravens play the game as it will on us, and you can bet that Lewis & Co. are no happier about all this than we are. Instead of acting like a kindergartner throwing a tantrum in the sandbox, calling me out for no reason, and blah-blahing about Harrison and Roethlisberger, you ought to be saving all that animosity for the commish. But that would require you to think and act like a grownup.