Falcons take charge of NFC race with another tight win

Atlanta Falcons v Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Falcons remain undefeated at home this year after Sunday’s 20-17 win over the Packers.  If they win can win two more in the Georgia Dome, the Falcons have a great chance to be the NFC’s top seed this year.

Atlanta’s win looked awfully familiar.

The Falcons continued to go on long drives, which shortened the game.   And Atlanta made the biggest plays in the fourth quarter with the game on the line.

It was a very well played game by both teams.  Aaron Rodgers came through with two incredible fourth down plays on a touchdown drive that tied the game with 56 seconds left.  But it was Rodgers’ fumble on the goal line earlier that truly was the difference.

The Falcons were more precise.  Matt Ryan had only four incompletions in 28 attempts, with many of his first downs being thrown into very tight windows.   Michael Turner had 110 yards and a touchdown.  Jason Snelling made a few defenders miss on a key first down that set up an early fourth quarter touchdown by Turner.

At 9-2, the Falcons now head on the road for three weeks (Tampa, Carolina, Seattle) before finishing at home against the Saints and Panthers.   The 7-4 Packers remain in a dogfight in the NFC North.

Atlanta only seem to know how to win tight games at home.  With the way they are playing, they could have a couple in the Georgia Dome come January.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Falcons take charge of NFC race with another tight win”
  1. pervyharvin says: Nov 28, 2010 4:32 PM

Packer fans give up hope now. The SB goes through Atlanta and you can’t win there…

2. packerhater says: Nov 28, 2010 4:35 PM

I guess the Packers can’t win when the game is not given to them.

3. touchdownroddywhite says: Nov 28, 2010 4:40 PM

Anything less than 12 wins at this point should be considered a disappointment for the Falcons. The only two games left they should be able to lose are NO and TB on the road. Seattle has played well at home for the most part, but I really don’t think they can keep up, at the end of the day. The Panthers should be a clean sweep, but if they topple the Bucs or Saints on the road, it should be a wrap.

Unfortunately though, I don’t care where they play the Eagles. If they couldn’t contain Rodgers(50 yards and a score on the ground) there’s no way they will contain Vick. Hopefully the Giants top the Eagles, because that’s really the best shot ATL has at the Super Bowl is to avoid the Eagles at all costs.

4. touchdownroddywhite says: Nov 28, 2010 4:49 PM

Scratch that. Just remembered Saints game is in Georgia. So 12 wins should definitely be a lock at this point.

5. csanboysmith says: Nov 28, 2010 4:54 PM

I’ll be real, 4 losses all by game ending FGs is gut wrenching but it’s to be expected when you can’t run the ball on short yardage situations. It will be the achilles heel of this team IF they make the playoffs. With the Giants, Pats and Bears to finish up the season things could end up 9-7….

6. SpartaChris says: Nov 28, 2010 5:07 PM

That was a great game. Atlanta was definitely the better team today. Hopefully they meet in the playoffs.

7. turbodog1027 says: Nov 28, 2010 5:15 PM

If not for a missed chip shot fg in OT by Hartley, the falcons would be looking up at the Saints. EVERYTHING has ggone the falcons way so far this year and that wont keep up.
    They may win the south but i see 1 and done in the playoffs. GB should have won this game

8. packerbacker12 says: Nov 28, 2010 5:17 PM

Why are you loser Viking ‘fans’ even talking? Your team is 4-7.

9. pervyharvin says: Nov 28, 2010 5:56 PM

csanboysmith says:Shut up pervy, no one wants to hear you anymore, you’re team has been set back 5 years by the OG, get lost.
    ======================================
    You and all the Pecker fans together couldn’t make me shut up or kick my ass….punk

10. cusoman says: Nov 28, 2010 6:01 PM

packerbacker12 says: Nov 28, 2010 5:17 PM

Why are you loser Viking ‘fans’ even talking? Your team is 4-7.

——————-

The same reason Packer fans run their mouth when they have a losing season and the Vikings have a successful season – rivalries are heated.

It’s funny too, because a lot of you kept talking about the Vikings fans going away when the season goes downhill, but here we are, still following the sport, still following our team. So much for every Vikes fan being bandwagon.

11. dchuwo says: Nov 28, 2010 6:03 PM

Packerhater says Packers cannot win when game is not given to them, you mean like 34-7 over Buffalo, 31-3 over Minny (sweep), 45-7 over Dallas, beat Lions, Jets (in New York), and Philly (in Philly). Brad Childress is that you?

12. jimmysee says: Nov 28, 2010 6:04 PM

Pervy — you told us you were going away. Obviously, NOTHING you say is factual.

13. dchuwo says: Nov 28, 2010 6:04 PM

Hey pervyharvin

Green Bay can win anywhere. What game were you watching?

14. badfish6907 says: Nov 28, 2010 6:22 PM

Rodgers fumble was bad, but he shouldn’t have even been in that situation. Why run two QB sneaks in a row? AT least run Kuhn on one of those. Just a horrible series of plays to end that drive. Doesn’t help either when usually challenge happy McCarthy ends the game with two challenge flags in his pocket and on the following drive Gonzales clearly doesn’t catch the ball on 4th down. That cost the Packers points more than Rodgers fumble IMO.

The Packers wouldn’t have even been in that game if it wasn’t for Rodgers. he took over on the drive to tie in the 3rd and the drive at the end of the 4th was a thing of beauty.

Oh well it lived up to the hype. Congrats Falcon fans. Hope to see you again in January.

15. kennyrogerschicken says: Nov 28, 2010 7:21 PM

Wow, the jaded Viking fans are out in force. Feel free to go comment on a Viking related story instead of infesting the Packer ones with your unintelligent drivel.

And Pervy – Tough guys on the internet are a dime a dozen. Why not post some video on YouTube of yourself beating someone up? That way you’d have some credibility. Not a lot of credibility, but more than the zero you have now.

16. footballrulz says: Nov 28, 2010 7:43 PM

Cusoman

Yo haven’t been here all week and you’re on here running your mouth (oh I’m sorry, that’s still following the sport, still suppoting your team). The only other Vike fan here is Perv, who has more balls than all of you, and is always here regardless of the records. Pack loses, Vikes sneak one by and out of your hole you come. What a bandwagoning homer. Go back to being a groundhog dude.

I’d say the Pack cashed in their chips today. A few pieces away from a good team. Gotta have a running game. If they make the playoffs, one & done. Vikes don’t have that possibility. Bears are the class of the nfc North this year. excuse, I have to go brush my teeth.

Cusoman, bring me a grilled cheese sandwich

17. Deb says: Nov 28, 2010 8:23 PM

Hey, lil Packer boy … you in here?

Maybe you should have been paying more attention to what your team was doing than where I was posting. My Steelers managed to get their job done today. And what do you know … so did that old man in Minnesota. Ha ha.

18. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 28, 2010 9:55 PM

Deb says:

Hey, lil Packer boy … you in here?

____________

I can only assume by that you mean me.

Yes Virginia, the Packers lost today. Kinda hard to dispute that one.

I guess I could be like all of you Viking fans and make excuses, or disappear until their next win, but that’s really not my style. The Falcons are a damn good football team. I have no shame whatsoever over a close loss in their house.

On to next week. Congrats to your Steelers, and also your favorite Vikings, even though their season is long since over. Now stop stalking me please.

19. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 28, 2010 10:05 PM

footballrulz says:

Cusoman

____________

Hilarious man. I love it.

Cuso’s nothing but a typical Viking fan. Talk tough when they win, or in the offseason, then magically vanish after a loss. I don’t know why you’re surprised.

Pervy is still here because he’s not really a Vikings fan so much as he is a Pack hater. He doesn’t know much about football, he just lives to make gay jokes about Packers fans and players. You can respect that if you like, but don’t expect me to join you.

It seems you’re also right on about the Bears. It pained me to make that prediction in the summer, and more so now that I know I was right.

Fortunately, If the Pack can get in on a wildcard, they’ll likely face the always-pathetic Seattle in the first round. I’d enjoy that a lot. Just like a practice game to get ready for the REAL playoffs. As always, on to next week..

20. Deb says: Nov 28, 2010 10:28 PM

No, Beer Cheese, I didn’t mean you! LOL Silly thing–you’ve never seen me just rub normal fans’ noses in their losses. Not my style.

My pro-Favre posts bought me an anonymous stalker who follows me around using the pseudonym “debisabusybody.” He’s a pissy little Packer who was mouthing off at me earlier today for commenting on a Vikes thread. That post was for him.

21. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 28, 2010 11:47 PM

Deb says:

____________

Okay. Thank you for clarifying that then. Once again, congrats to both of your teams.

22. pervyharvin says: Nov 29, 2010 10:37 AM

God, the retarded comments from guys like you Beer Cheese make us all dumber. Think I’ll go fishing and let you guys play football fans. Oh, I give give a rat’s ass about the Packers Cheese,I bleed purple…see you next week

23. footballrulz says: Nov 29, 2010 11:26 AM

Beer Cheese

If they make it I hope they get Seaattle. Probably the only teamin the playoffs they can get. Bad game yesterday. Wouldn;t a running back be nice?

24. Deb says: Nov 29, 2010 1:30 PM

@Beer Cheese …

What can I say? After 20 years, I’ve grown to like watching Favre on a football field. My mama and daddy like Favre. He’s a Mississippi country boy. But make no mistake. In the NFL, I have ONE and only ONE team. And if it were in the Steelers’ best interest, I’d root for the Vikes to be buried alive and Favre with them.

My only other team is the Alabama Crimson Tide … and this was not their week.

25. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 29, 2010 7:17 PM

footballrulz says:

Beer Cheese

____________

If, and I say IF they make the playoffs, either the Hawks or Rams appear to be the likely opponent.

As a lifelong Pack fan, now living in Seattle, with considerable disdain for ‘Hawk fans, I certainly have my preference.
    ___

Deb says:

@Beer Cheese …

…make no mistake. In the NFL, I have ONE and only ONE team. And if it were in the Steelers’ best interest, I’d root for the Vikes to be buried alive and Favre with them.
    ____________

Very good. You can stop lauding the Vikings now then.. Especially since, in case you haven’t noticed, they’re terrible.

26. Deb says: Nov 29, 2010 10:00 PM

What are y’all talking about “if”? Do you mean if the Packers make the playoffs? What have I missed? Granted, I pay a lot more attention to the AFC, but how would you not make the playoffs? At worst, you’d be a wild card. Why so defeatist?

Well, Beer Cheese, if Brett were still with the Pack, I’d be rooting for the Pack if it didn’t have a negative impact on the Steelers. But he’s with the Vikes and the season hasn’t ended yet. I hope they win out. Sorry.

27. footballrulz says: Nov 30, 2010 1:27 PM

Hey Deb

If the season ended today, which I know that ot doesn’t, the Pack would not be in the playoffs.

& they still have to playGiants, Pats & Bears.