Pat Bowlen says Josh McDaniels will be back

Pat Bowlen

Earlier this year, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said coach Wade Phillips wouldn’t be fired.  And then he was.

Thereafter, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf provided a similar, though less sweeping, observation regarding coach Brad Childress.  Not long before Chilly was cut loose.

Ditto for Mike Singletary, who widely is believed to be in danger of being fired but for a stellar finish to the season, even though he has received a vote of confidence.

So with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen telling Thomas George of FanHouse.com that Bowlen won’t be firing coach Josh McDaniels, the comment either should be disregarded — or perhaps regarded as proof that the end is near.

“I am not interested in making a coaching change,” Bowlen told George.

Hey, there are plenty of things I’m not interested in doing.  I’m not interested in having an appendectomy, but if that useless organ explodes inside me, circumstances quickly will change.

We believe that Bowlen prefers to keep McDaniels.  But as some point Bowlen may have to give in to the mob.  Making his preferences known at this point is, in our opinion, nothing more than an effort to get the mob to take their pitchforks and torches elsewhere.

If it doesn’t work, it may be time for that appendectomy.

Bowlen also realizes that the Broncos still have hope — albeit slim — at making the playoffs.

“I’m very happy with Josh,” Bowlen added.  “Josh is doing a good job.  I wish he had a few more wins, but we’ve got five games to go.  I’ve got 27 years in this business.  The ball bounces funny and it doesn’t always bounce your way.  We’ve had bad breaks, injuries.  I’ve been around football long enough to know this happens and it’s a part of the game.  We’ve still got a chance to make the playoffs.  People have been in a position like ours and it’s been done before.”

He’s right.  Two years ago, the Chargers closed a three-game gap in three weeks to beat Bowlen’s Broncos, and to send Mike Shanahan to the unemployment line.

Bottom line?  Bowlen thinks the Broncos are still alive, and he sees no benefit in saying anything other than “McDaniels will be back.”  But as we’ve seen time and again, the things an owner says in November often don’t mesh with the actions taken in January.

UPDATE:  Within hours after the article was published, the Broncos released a statement contradicting Bowlen’s comments regarding McDaniels’ job security, without mentioning the comments.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
36 Responses to “Pat Bowlen says Josh McDaniels will be back”
  1. profootballwalk says: Nov 29, 2010 9:59 PM

That same rabid mob wanted McDaniel fired before he coached his first game. When the Broncos opened the year winning six games, the mob went silent. Now they’re back. No surprise there – that’s what mobs do.

2. rhodeislandpatriotsfan says: Nov 29, 2010 10:03 PM

Broncos fans should start talking with their feet.

3. thejuddstir says: Nov 29, 2010 10:07 PM

Bowlen is suffering from the “al davis jerrah jones disease”…….why do owners wait to freakin’ long to see what the fans see. Bowlen says, “I’ve got 27 years in this business………”…….does that make him an expert????? danny snyder, jerrah jones think they know more than the fans too…….if there was a glimmer of hope for the bronco’s it would be one thing but they have got worse under mcdaniels……glad i’m not a bronco’s fan.

4. ravensrule says: Nov 29, 2010 10:11 PM

Even though McD & all of the Belichick-ians are cheats, the Broncs should stand by him. Its too early to give up on a guy who decided to rebuild rather than take the talent & run w/ it. He is trying to rebuild the OLINE, etc. Give it more time…

5. frank booth says: Nov 29, 2010 10:13 PM

Pat Bowlen also said that he wants a bowl of pancakes with chocolate sauce and ketchup, wants Floyd Little to get more carries this Sunday and would like to go up in the spaceship after din-din.

6. bbrophy1 says: Nov 29, 2010 10:17 PM

Bowlen has to be concerned that he allowed McDaniels to come in and get rid of Jay Cuter and Brandon Marshall while molding the Broncos into the Patriots image. For Bowlen to now get rid of McDaniels, it will look like the team has no direction. Combine that with the labor situation, it’s not smart to get rid of McDaniels this year.

7. fumblenuts says: Nov 29, 2010 10:17 PM

I can’t see the fans wanting McA-Hole back in Denver.

8. hobartbaker says: Nov 29, 2010 10:20 PM

“mob” is the appropriate term here. There may be some wisdom to be found in crowds, but there is nothing worthwhile in mobs.

Who would you rather have at your barbeque?

Josh McDaniels who tried to protect a co-worker from a career ending mistake and a fine of probably half his annual salary, or “THE RAT” who is working behind the scenes to discredit Josh in any way possible. All the while collecting his comfortable wage and willing to sacrifice others to achieve his ends?

PFT should think about that choice, since they are up front of the mob, with one of the bigger bullhorns, to go along with thier torch and pitchfork.

9. realitypolice says: Nov 29, 2010 10:22 PM

Far be it for me to defend Josh McDaniels, because I think he is an arrogant blowhard.

But this experiment was doomed from the start. To hire a weak GM and basically put this inexperienced child in complete control of the whole football organization was stupid.

What Bowlen should do, in my opinion, is hire a strong GM and give him complete control of personnel and tell McDaniels to focus on coaching the players he is given.

If that fails, start all over all over again.

10. fartography says: Nov 29, 2010 10:23 PM

Get Matt Millen off the air.

11. citizenstrange says: Nov 29, 2010 10:26 PM

I can see why Bowlen might be happy with McDaniels cheating – I mean he must approve of it or why else hire a fruit off the Belichick tree? – but nothing can forgive or forget or explain away taking Tebow in the first round.

McDaniels likes to act like he knows something that nobody else knows but now that everybody knows he’s a cheater he’s got nuthin’.

12. ijr213 says: Nov 29, 2010 10:26 PM

Well, if the Broncos are going to keep McDaniels, they need to put some restraints on what he’s allowed to do. For instance, whatever sort of control he has on hiring personnel should be given to a general manager. This means that either Brian Xanders needs to step up and actually behave like a general manager, or he needs to be canned for someone with actual experience/skill at the position.

McDaniels should be able to coach up the offense. And if they bring in someone who can actually coach the defense (Don Martindale is clearly not the answer) and some defensive talent as opposed to plugs to holes, they’ll win a few games.

13. goldsteel says: Nov 29, 2010 10:29 PM

“I am not interested in making a coaching change,” Bowlen told George.

Hey, there are plenty of things I’m not interested in doing. I’m not interested in having an appendectomy, but if that useless organ explodes inside me, circumstances quickly will change.

Very funny, Micheal!!

14. tinopuno says: Nov 29, 2010 10:33 PM

What Bowlen said:

“I’m very happy with Josh,” Bowlen added. “Josh is doing a good job. I wish he had a few more wins, but we’ve got five games to go. I’ve got 27 years in this business. The ball bounces funny and it doesn’t always bounce your way. We’ve had bad breaks, injuries. I’ve been around football long enough to know this happens and it’s a part of the game. We’ve still got a chance to make the playoffs. People have been in a position like ours and it’s been done before.”

What Bowlen really wanted to say:

“I’m about as happy with Josh as I would be with colon cancer,” Bowlen added. “Josh is doing a good job…and I’m the King of England . I’ve got 27 years in this business and that’s about 2 years too many. We’ve had bad breaks, injuries and blah, blah, blah but most of all, Josh is flat out weird. He spends all his time time tutoring that Tebow kid. They keep talking about ‘ball’ and ‘juice’, ‘ball’ and ‘juice’. You tell me…WTF is that about.? Just friggin’ weird”

” I’ve been around football long enough to know a loser when I see one. We’ve got absolutely no chance to make the playoffs. People have been in a position like ours before and they usually kill themselves.”

15. Deb says: Nov 29, 2010 10:43 PM

Bowlen has forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know, so I respectfully disagree. Dismissing Shanahan to bring in new blood was a gutsy move, but McDaniels?

Competent coaches work w/the talent they have; this one alienated a Pro Bowl QB. He traded up to get a guy most knowledgeable QB evaluators doubt will be an impact player. Foolish waste of a first-round pick and first-round money. Now this.

His old crony gambled he’d be okay with taping a walkthrough. No, he didn’t watch the film, but he didn’t inform the league, either. His staff is divided enough that someone else informed the league. To cover his backside, he mouthed off about a former employer. And that’s the best case scenario.

It’s one thing to have a bad season; it’s another to be immature, incompetent, and ethically questionable.

16. freedomispopular says: Nov 29, 2010 10:48 PM

It would be kinda silly to fire a first-time head coach after only 2 seasons.

17. laffers says: Nov 29, 2010 11:30 PM

“I am not interested in making a coaching change,” Bowlen told George
    Of course he says that, to do otherwise is to admit the colossal mistake he made getting rid of a hall of fame coach for a “kid”!

18. rosensucks says: Nov 29, 2010 11:32 PM

Well Deb just as soon as you come up with millions of dollars people will care what you think, until then keep your hypocritical comments to yourself. The Steelers have had several “ethically questionable” people roll through their organization. Joey Porter, James Harrison, Ben Rothlisloser among others. McDaniels was fined 50,000 dollars, how many dollars has Harrison paid this year. How many game suspensions has Big Ben had? Bet you didn’t give your respectful disapproval on those posts.

19. jerrycolatrella says: Nov 29, 2010 11:34 PM

Let us not forget the trade of Peyton Hillis for Brady Quinn!

20. j0esixpack says: Nov 29, 2010 11:36 PM

The Broncos have blemishes on the Super Bowls given the fact that they received the largest fine in NFL history for cheatin on the salary cap

Now that’s REAL cheating…. keeping John Elways numbers off the books to stay under the cap and win two Super Bowls?

It’d be hypocritical of them to fire McDaniels for an NFL practice dating back more than 50 years involving George Halas and Lamar Hunt

21. hobartbaker says: Nov 29, 2010 11:42 PM

It sounds like Bowlen is on top of things. He would know who the Rat is, and from what he said, if Josh doesn’t sniff him out and fire him, Pat would take the liberty of firing the guy himself. He knows what he has in Josh McDaniels and I think he sees things a little more long term than “the mob”.

22. nodindenver says: Nov 29, 2010 11:43 PM

The Patriots learned from phoney Maroney that you don’t draft running backs in high rounds. They did not get their stud QB in the first round nor do they take the fifth best wide receiver in the draft in the first round. Horrible talent evaluator and we got rid of another one for his ass!

23. xtb3 says: Nov 29, 2010 11:52 PM

“I am not interested in making a coaching change,” Bowlen told George.

————–

Specific words! Bowlen does NOT say he will not fire McDaniels.

24. pondbridge says: Nov 29, 2010 11:56 PM

Playoffs? (cue the Jim Mora rant)
    Except for a six game Thank-God-Shanahan’s-gone initial surge in 2009, McDaniel’s regime in Denver is Rocky Mountain roadkill.

25. frank booth says: Nov 30, 2010 12:14 AM

hobartbaker says:
    Nov 29, 2010 10:20 PM

Who would you rather have at your barbeque?

===================================
    Do you really think that the taping happened without McDaniels O.K? Same stuff happened when he was in New England, and he brought it to Denver. McDaniels is busted and looking for a way out.

26. clownburger says: Nov 30, 2010 12:17 AM

Florio wants McDaniels fired more than anyone.

27. hobartbaker says: Nov 30, 2010 12:18 AM

@joesixpack…..That makes the high handed comments of that guy with the Neolithic Era Jaw who used to coach the Steelers awfully hypocritical. Cowher started in the late 80’s and was a head coach in the early 90’s I believe. Now Bill gets all self-righteous because he “suspects” McDaniels of doing something he did himself on a regular basis as a head coach. What is it they say about whores and thieves getting respectable if they live long enough?

28. mfclock says: Nov 30, 2010 12:27 AM

@deb – couldn’t have said it better myself

29. paulieorkid says: Nov 30, 2010 1:52 AM

” … but if that useless organ explodes inside me, circumstances quickly will change.”

signed,
    “Octomom” 5 minutes before conception

30. Deb says: Nov 30, 2010 2:57 AM

@rosensucks …

I wasn’t aware that I needed millions of dollars to post my opinion on a football blog. And I’ll continue to do so whether you like it or not. As to your opinion … unfortunately, you’re not bright enough to stick to one subject at a time. This conversation is about videotaping the walkthrough of another team and failing to report it to the league. That has nothing whatsoever to do with James Harrison’s fines or Ben Roethlisberger’s legal battles. If you want to broach those subjects, fine.

I supported the league’s fining of Harrison for the hit on Massaquoi because it was a dirty hit that deserved to be flagged and fined. Harrison was also fined for his part in a gang tackle of Vince Young earlier in the season, and I have no problem with that. I have no problem with his being flagged for a late hit on Drew Brees. But he did not spear Brees with his helmet, nor did he spear Fitzpatrick. The Commissioner is levying those fines in an attempt to soften hits in preparation for an 18-game season. Softening hits will not lessen the overall physical impact of an 18-game season, and Goodell couldn’t care less about the health risks of concussions. He just wants to keep players on the field longer and ensure they score more because it’s more profitable. I have a problem with that.

As for Roethlisberger, the evidence shows he didn’t assault anyone. Goodell rewrote the personal conduct policy in order to make him the first ever NFL player suspended without prior disciplinary action, an arrest, or violation of the league’s drug or gambling policies. Again, Goodell did this solely for PR value and didn’t mean a word of his lovely speeches. If he had, then Vince Young and Brandon Underwood also would have been suspended. But I support the suspension of Roethlisberger because he needed a kick in the pants.

I’m capable of being honest when our players make dirty hits and when my QB needs a kick in the pants. Too bad you’re not capable of acknowledging when your coach is an immature ass. Then again, it appears you have that in common.

31. chhutson27 says: Nov 30, 2010 3:12 AM

Josh is doing a good job

–says the owner of the team with 3 wins, and still no defense, and terrible personnel moves right and left. I’m pretty sure Dez Bryant has almost as many TD’s and Thomas has touches….. And Hillis has more yards than the ENTIRE Bronco team added together. Scheffler is catching passes in Detroit. Cutler’s team is 8-3. Marshall is even doing decent, but we traded him for the pick we used to get Tebow, who will never be a major contributor as long as Orton is at least getting yards, because that might lead to points. Alphonso Smith isn’t doing anything in Detroit, except intercepting a lot of passes. Wiegmann is the center of the top rushing O Line in the NFL, but he’s no longer with Denver because he can’t run block…

I will still bleed Blue and Orange till I die. But I seem to be bleeding a lot extra this year.

32. patriotsworld says: Nov 30, 2010 4:55 AM

I have rooted for McDaniels to succeed but whoever was responsible for bringing in Maroney should be gone.

33. dkinphx says: Nov 30, 2010 5:25 AM

I’ve been a Broncos fan since BEFORE Bowlen bought the team so I think I can safely add a few cents here. Having watched Bowlen for all these years, it’s clear that he’s acting out of character. He has been since he fired Shanahan. The only other time I’ve seen him behave this way was right after Elway left but wanted desperately to stay connected to the Broncos and Bowlen seemed determined NOT to let that happen.

There is no doubt that this is one of the worst times I’ve seen my Broncos go through. I’d expect a VERY short leash if Bowlen actually brings McDaniels back. I’m not holding my breath on a McD return when the season is over. Bowlen wears furs and expensive clothes and such because he views himself in a certain way and wants to protect that image. What’s happening now is tarnishing the image in a major way. I don’t expect him to be tolerant much longer and if the Broncos end up under .500 he’ll be in house-cleaning mode. That is exactly what is needed. He was right to fire Shanahan as the Broncos needed new fire. However, what they’ve gotten since then is dissipating smoke and not much else. McDaniels had failed and all the “the injuries, the players , the circumstances” in the world don’t change the bottom line. The team has gotten much worse instead of better. Good riddance.

34. youngs79 says: Nov 30, 2010 8:02 AM

McDaniel has no business being a head coach in the NFL. Do you think the Bronco’s would be a better team with Cutler, Marshall, and Hillis? Forget about the losing record, he should be fired for the personnel moves alone!

35. billsfan27 says: Nov 30, 2010 8:10 AM

Bowlen has been around football so long that he must’ve missed that part where McJackass got rid of Cutler, then Marshall, then traded Peyton Hillis for Brady Quinn.

Plus, the kid can’t even win when he cheats.

36. ndgarretjax says: Nov 30, 2010 8:41 AM

sure he’s “not interested” … doesn’t mean he won’t do it