Steve Johnson tries to get right with God

Steve Johnson

After dropping what would have been the game-winning touchdown pass in overtime against the Steelers, Bills receiver Steve Johnson took to Twitter.

Within a half hour after the game ended on a Shaun Suisham field goal, the man who caught three touchdown passes in Week 11 but who dropped five balls (including the aforementioned game-winner) in Week 12 filed a formal complaint with God and Company.

“I praise you 24/7!!!!!!  And this how you do me!!!!!” Johnson said.  “You expect me to learn from this???  How???!!!  I’ll never forget this!!  Ever!!!”  (His message actually was in all caps, but since that’s the equivalent of screaming in someone’s eyeballs, we incorporated lower-case letters.)

Earlier today, after his message to the Most High landed in places like MSNBC’s Morning Joe, TMZ.com, and The View, Johnson tried to backtrack.

No I Did Not Blame God People!” Johnson said.  “Seriously??!? CMon! I Simply Cried Out And Asked Why? Jus Like yal did wen sumthin went wrong n ur life!”

We’ll leave it to the folks in the crowd with common sense to assess Johnson’s words, and his meaning.

The possible lesson?  Prayer is best left between the person sending it, and the entity receiving it.

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
77 Responses to “Steve Johnson tries to get right with God”
  1. hobartbaker says: Nov 29, 2010 6:51 PM

“..just between my God and me, we don’t need a middle man.”.

-Scott Avett.

2. joetoronto says: Nov 29, 2010 6:53 PM

Only a moron would praise God, or condemn him, for their play on a football field.

I mean really.

3. hobartbaker says: Nov 29, 2010 6:56 PM

Steve Johnson goes down in history as the guy who threw God under the bus.

4. al0049 says: Nov 29, 2010 6:57 PM

THIS GUY IS A JOKE GO BACK TO HIGH SCHOOL AND LEARN HOW TO CATCH YOU SU-CK I NO WR DROP SOME BALLS HERE AND THERE BUT C’MON MAN YOU COME OUT AND MAKE JOKES WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS LEARN HOW TO CATCH THE BALL

5. footballrulz says: Nov 29, 2010 6:57 PM

Steve–God puts the twigs on the trees but the Robin still has to make the nest. God gave you abilities–don’t question him if you fail to use them. God cares about you, but not football. Are you using what you have to honor God, or are you just questioning him when you fail?

End of sermon

6. bodybaggame says: Nov 29, 2010 6:59 PM

God tweeted back…..”Just catch the damn ball”

7. wishudeadgoddell says: Nov 29, 2010 7:00 PM

You know what this shows me… God is a Steeler fan. Yes he part of the Steeler Nation that has to be it. How do you explain someone that praise him 24/7 dropping a perfect pass for the game winning TD… because it was against the Steelers.
    Just kidding, I really don’t think God cares about football. He has way to much going on beside a football game in Buffalo.

8. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Nov 29, 2010 7:09 PM

He’s going to have a hard time getting past Roddy White and Calvin Johnson for a starting spot on my fantasy team with drops like that.

9. Chris Taylor says: Nov 29, 2010 7:09 PM

Victim mentality makes a new turn…

10. Chris Taylor says: Nov 29, 2010 7:10 PM

Though he may have been talking about his hands…you know those crazy receivers

11. cjspiller12 says: Nov 29, 2010 7:16 PM

And only a moron from Toronto would come on the Bills thread and bash them week after week. How is your CFL doing for you JoeBlow? How about all of them sellout Blue Jays baseball games and Raptors basketball games……….oh wait…….sorry……….no one goes!!! Keep your fringe sport hockey, it’s the only game in town in Toronto!!

12. rpiotr01 says: Nov 29, 2010 7:20 PM

God actually responded to the original tweet:

“dam son wtf next time catch da ball wf your hands not yer body lolz”

It was removed by site admins shortly thereafter.

13. profootballwalk says: Nov 29, 2010 7:24 PM

Dear Steve

This is God speaking. Please learn how to spell – I hate that text-speak crap. And while we’re at it.. I had Buffalo and the points – next time I’ll turn you into a pillar of salt.

14. hobartbaker says: Nov 29, 2010 7:24 PM

Hey, what’s this a disagreement between Buffalo Bill and his trusty Canadian scout Toronto?

Kemo Sabe!

15. fearlessradio says: Nov 29, 2010 7:26 PM

This just in from GOD….

Pray less…practice more

16. kinguga says: Nov 29, 2010 7:30 PM

He’s right. He didn’t blame God. Did he mention God in the tweet? He didn’t.

If he had, it would have been even funnier.

17. Jamie says: Nov 29, 2010 7:31 PM

spiller dude… no it’s not, the leafs are a joke.

in other news, andre johnson is a beast. and not just because of his recent beat-down of cortland innegan.

Here’s why.

18. laxer37 says: Nov 29, 2010 7:35 PM

“I praise you 24/7!!!!!! And this how you do me!!!!!” Johnson said.

———————————————

God replied, “Sorry Stevie, I’m a Steeler fan”.

19. Slim Charles says: Nov 29, 2010 7:36 PM

God doesn’t exist you dunce. Try practicing with a juggs machine.

20. dmvdmv101560 says: Nov 29, 2010 7:37 PM

The last time Toronto won the championship in their national past time was in … hell, it was so damn long ago that I can’t remember. And they’re as irrelevant in all the other sports as they are in hockey. Maybe they can start a Curling league – I’m sure all the natives of Canada will support that sport!

21. raideralex99 says: Nov 29, 2010 7:38 PM

The Steelers say thank-you god.

22. ravensrule says: Nov 29, 2010 7:42 PM

Can you speak to god through Twitter ? Is Twitter the Lost Ark

23. tantrim says: Nov 29, 2010 7:45 PM

God doesn’t do anything, he empowers each person to make up their own mind. If they want to follow it or not is each person choice. If Johnson wants to blame God for his dropping the football that is his choice but before he blames God he needs to make sure he was prepared for event.

24. canadianvikingfaniii says: Nov 29, 2010 7:47 PM

Tell me this, why would God side with one person over another if all humans are equal. It doesn’t work like that, or the poor children in Africa would be disease free and have full bellies.

People who think God does things for them are crazy, there are people who pray everyday and are still in horrible conditions. Wake up people, believe in God or not, but don’t hold God to your success or failings…

25. FinFan68 says: Nov 29, 2010 7:54 PM

Why bash him for “blaming” “God”? Nobody seems to question anyone who “thanks” “God” when things go well. To complain about that concept would be hypocritical.

26. thribolde says: Nov 29, 2010 7:59 PM

Jesus yelled at God and so did Job. There is nothing wrong with questioning the plan. A frustrated receiver who is beyond ashamed and distraught simply felt left down by his chosen diety and typed his problem in twitter. He didn’t rip his clothing and put ash on his head like Biblical morners and those felt forsaken.
    These players thank God when they score, why not blame Him when they don’t.

Also, I doubt he has been thinking very clearly for the last 24+ hours.

27. section731 says: Nov 29, 2010 7:59 PM

What? You can only praise God when you do well? Why can’t you blame him because you didn’t look the ball into your hands? “I thank God for my speed and jumping ability, but damn him for giving me the concentration of a gnat.” I’m ok with it – loosen up people. My almighty being has a sense of humor.

28. nosaintsfan79 says: Nov 29, 2010 8:00 PM

Maybe God is a Steelers Fan

29. realitypolice says: Nov 29, 2010 8:03 PM

Religion in general is funny enough without some idiot thinking that some old man sitting on a cloud would take time out from overseeing the entire universe to strike the ball from his waiting hands.

Religious people are the ultimate narcissists- they believe that God created and controls the Universe yet is intently focused on every intimate detail of their lives.

That would be like me believing that the president of the United States is obsessed over what I had for breakfast.

30. frankenderek says: Nov 29, 2010 8:03 PM

Or maybe there is no god?

31. jhorton83 says: Nov 29, 2010 8:13 PM

I think this case is very interesting actually. You see players crediting God all the time despite no evidence whatsoever he had anything to do with their success. This is the first time I can remember where a player blamed God for their downfall. Seriously though, his tweet “blaming God” was clearly in jest. People take things way too seriously.

32. Fiori says: Nov 29, 2010 8:14 PM

God must be wondering how the NFL “Twitter-tweeters” made it through 4 years of college.

If you removed the identity of the majority of NFL “tweeters” from all the “tweets” being sent…you would think they were all sent by the same person.

33. brasho says: Nov 29, 2010 8:22 PM

Maybe he was talking about his hands…. afterall, they are what really let him down.

34. pervyoccam says: Nov 29, 2010 8:25 PM

Methinks Tim Tebow is no longer following Steve Johnson on Twitter.

35. slickzmoney says: Nov 29, 2010 8:26 PM

Its God’s way of saying “Stop pointing at me you idiots just because you score a touchdown”

36. Florio's Lawyer says: Nov 29, 2010 8:27 PM

What do you expect when you put your fate in the hands of some non-existent superstitious sky pilot?

37. joetoronto says: Nov 29, 2010 8:40 PM

cjspiller12:

I have to drive through that craphole they call Buffalo on my way to Connecticut this Wednesday.

I’ll be sure to keep my doors locked, and my head down.

It must suck to actually live there.

38. trunord says: Nov 29, 2010 8:41 PM

ha ha, i love it when people from the armpit of america, a.k.a. western new york, try to insult toronto. it’s ok though, you are still welcome to come help us support the bills when the owner kicks it, because we dont even want them. wide right

39. ingloriousmaster says: Nov 29, 2010 8:45 PM

God – allowing for people like Stevie Johnson to deflect their mistakes and blame since cr. 1500 bce… :)

And another thing…

Why do we hear athletes constantly say, ” I just wanna thank God for this moment” and not “I would like to thank my parents for driving me all over hell for practice, games, fundraiser, etc…”?

its 2010…wake up people

40. lonesteel says: Nov 29, 2010 8:47 PM

God tweeted back…..”Why so serious??”
    Oh, and yes. God IS a Steelers fan.

41. ingloriousmaster says: Nov 29, 2010 8:47 PM

and God tweeted back….

“Lose the cheek earring, you queen”

42. prior0knowledge says: Nov 29, 2010 9:05 PM

seriously, does anyone want to live in a universe where the winner of a football game is the team that prays to the correct God the most?

43. randyinman says: Nov 29, 2010 9:05 PM

1 Was God reading his Tweets and 2 Did he reply?

44. max says: Nov 29, 2010 9:06 PM

How could you leave out the last few characters, where he writes “Thx, tho…”

That’s the funniest part. Hedging one’s bets, innit?

45. philwauke says: Nov 29, 2010 9:10 PM

Sorry Steve, Buffalo wild wings wanted overtime.
    God

46. amanitoomerisgod says: Nov 29, 2010 9:10 PM

The sooner Steve Johnson realizes there’s no such thing as God the more accountable he will be for himself and the better he will be at football.

47. karlsummers says: Nov 29, 2010 9:14 PM

Maybe Johnson should blame KFC for his slippery fingers…I’m just sayin’

48. hobartbaker says: Nov 29, 2010 9:15 PM

“Uggh, Buffalo Bill, you stink like manure and animal hides”.

“Uggh, to you Toronto, you barely tame savage, where’s your sidekick with that ridiculous blue suit? Ha, ha, bet you two are all the rage at the clubs with the matching masks and all.”.

49. drew42301 says: Nov 29, 2010 9:19 PM

Matthew 6:6

50. pudgalvin says: Nov 29, 2010 9:22 PM

Twitter is the god damned death of the English language. You ever see Idiocracy? This is where we’re headed.

“Dont come in! I’m batin!”

51. piccolo41 says: Nov 29, 2010 9:33 PM

There is a reason why they call it “Twit”ter.

Okay so now all you ga’mokes under 50 go look up what a “twit” is (no, not “twot”) and you’ll get the frickin’ joke :p

52. nfl4ever says: Nov 29, 2010 9:55 PM

realitypolice says:
    Nov 29, 2010 8:03 PM

—————————————————
    No, but his wife probably does.

53. vahawker says: Nov 29, 2010 9:57 PM

Lived in Buffalo…Stevie’s problem is that God wasn’t anywhere near that stadium yesterday God Forsook Buffalo years ago.

54. realitypolice says: Nov 29, 2010 9:58 PM

philwauke says:
    Nov 29, 2010 9:10 PM
    Sorry Steve, Buffalo wild wings wanted overtime.
    God
    ==================

That’s funny. The game was already in overtime, but that’s still funny.

Rack him!

55. Jamie says: Nov 29, 2010 10:19 PM

@trunord. ew not wide right, then they’d end up in montreal.

56. gvgranny says: Nov 29, 2010 10:20 PM

Damn. I’m disappointed Johnson apologized for what he said. I thought his comments were tongue-in-cheek and he was actually making fun of those yahoos who thank god for helping them win the game. If there was a god, she wouldn’t give a #%!@ who wins a football game.

57. inishul says: Nov 29, 2010 10:38 PM

Steve Johnson Tweets God.

Tim Tebow responds.

58. mean13 says: Nov 29, 2010 10:45 PM

Buffalo and Toronto are BOTH crap cities.

59. nothimagain says: Nov 29, 2010 11:33 PM

Steve Johnson sounds no dumber than all those other athletes who thank god, or the ministers who preach god, or the people that sit in pews and listen to ministers preach god.

60. roxtar10 says: Nov 29, 2010 11:45 PM

God tweeted back to Johnson earlier today:

Stevie, I give you the opportunity of a life time and you do Me like that???
    I guess as Supreme Being of the Universe I’ll have to go back to solving world hunger and focusing on peace instead of watching Bills games and reading Tweets. @catchitnxttimfool#

61. hobartbaker says: Nov 30, 2010 12:09 AM

“Momma, is there a God?”

“No, Dumpling, Steve Johnson threw him under the bus.”.

62. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 30, 2010 12:49 AM

Just more proof that God is a Steelers fan.

63. florio4prez says: Nov 30, 2010 2:11 AM

Refreshing to see an athlete rag on god when they lose or screw up. So tired of only hearing that crap when they win or play well.

You go, Little Stevie!

64. norcaleagles says: Nov 30, 2010 2:35 AM

Its nice to see a player have so much passion for the game. I wonder what cowboy fans were thinking when they saw Roy Williams laughing and smiling on the sideline when he fumbled inside the 10 and cost HIS team the game.

65. natelan says: Nov 30, 2010 3:44 AM

I’m a devout Atheist, so now I see Johnson as an idiot for TWO reasons!

66. tatum064 says: Nov 30, 2010 8:01 AM

#
    mean13 says: Nov 29, 2010 10:45 PM

Buffalo and Toronto are BOTH crap cities.
    ====================================
    Havent been to Cleveland or Detroit have you?

67. tatum064 says: Nov 30, 2010 8:03 AM

#
    ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 30, 2010 12:49 AM

Just more proof that God is a Steelers fan.

=============================

Of course he is. Why do you think Rothlisberger didnt get charged with rape?

68. tatum064 says: Nov 30, 2010 8:05 AM

#
    lonesteel says: Nov 29, 2010 8:47 PM

God tweeted back…..”Why so serious??”
    Oh, and yes. God IS a Steelers fan.
    ======================
    so Satan was acting through Tom Brady when they ran you out of Heinz Field?

69. neverend1 says: Nov 30, 2010 8:41 AM

joetoronto says:
    Nov 29, 2010 6:53 PM

I mean really.

It’s hateful and digusting comments like these that has no place on this site. Just how is an individual a moron because he does that? What makes him any less of a moron that praises the “forces” behind stars and cosmos. Hateful langauge like that, I find, disgusting. Not only do people have the freedom to worship (much to your dismay), but it doesn’t make people ‘weird’ or ‘moronic’. It seems to me you have different beliefs than people who praise God or have a religion and you think you’re obviously superior hence calling people like these ‘morons’. Elitist much? Offensive comments like these have no place around here.

70. citizensmithgobills says: Nov 30, 2010 8:51 AM

You know if Florio would have posted the entire tweet, you all would see that at the end he thanks god.

71. Ssssshamalamadingdong says: Nov 30, 2010 9:22 AM

tatum064 says:
    Nov 30, 2010 8:05 AM

“so Satan was acting through Tom Brady when they ran you out of Heinz Field?”
    ———————
    TRICK QUESTION! BRADY IS GOD!

And he didn’t run the Steelers out of Heinz Field. He simply threw a bunch of touchdowns. The Steelers were back there the next week pants-ing the Raiders!

Oh tag son!

72. joetoronto says: Nov 30, 2010 9:39 AM

neverend1: “Hateful comments”?

Just for the record, I’m a God fearing man.

Having said that, I don’t blame, or praise, God because of how I cut the grass or shoveled the snow.

This mofo not only blamed God for his drop, he continued to talk to him about it, AND IN FRONT OF EVERYBODY TOO, lol.

Now, tell me again how he’s NOT a moron, please.

73. thirdandgoal says: Nov 30, 2010 12:22 PM

what a misguided young man. apologize to your teammates and quit embarrassing yourself. you play a game & are paid ridiculously huge amounts of money for doing so, and ‘God’ couldn’t care less. You want to get his attention? go volunteer in a third world country, or be a ‘Big Brother’ to a kid who needs one. otherwise, all the twitters you can type are about as worthwhile as your drop in overtime.

74. EJ says: Nov 30, 2010 1:06 PM

Its all good Stevie, it happens to the best of them. All you have to do is go to NFL.com in the video section and punch in “drop pass”. There you will see plenty of NFL greats doing the same thing, it happens. Go Bills!!!

75. Ssssshamalamadingdong says: Nov 30, 2010 7:43 PM

somesome says:
    Nov 30, 2010 5:17 PM
    You cannot launch yourself head first into the QB. PERIOD.

——————–
    Open your eyes jackass, he didn’t launch himself. My gawd you are a horrible.

76. Beer Cheese Soup says: Dec 1, 2010 1:10 AM

cjspiller12 says:

Keep your fringe sport hockey, it’s the only game in town in Toronto!!
    __________

You mean the West Lake Ontario Golf Association, who also play hockey at Air Canada Center for part of the year?

I wouldn’t call them the only game in town. I wouldn’t really call them “game” at all. Even the Raptors are more fun to watch.

77. howmanylumps says: Dec 2, 2010 1:13 PM

Clearly [b][i]He[/i][/b] had the under.