Bucs bounce Sabby Piscitelli

Sabby Piscitelli, John Matthews

With rookie safety Cody Grimm on injured reserve, it would appear that the Buccaneers would have a newfound appreciation of safety Sabby Piscitelli.

It would appear that way, but it isn’t that way.

In a flurry of roster moves, the Bucs have cut Piscitelli, a second-round pick in the 2007 draft.

They also placed guard Davin Joseph and defensive end Kyle Moore on injured reserve, and that promoted a trio of players from the active roster:  safety Vince Anderson, receiver Dezmon Briscoe, and guard Brandon Carter.

The Bucs also signed safety Larry Asante from the Browns’ practice squad.

Piscitelli started 15 games in 2009, and he appeared in all 11 games in 2010, with no starts.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
20 Responses to “Bucs bounce Sabby Piscitelli”
  1. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Nov 30, 2010 4:24 PM

I’m surprised, but not shocked. Sabby is an incredible athlete and hits like a truck, but I have never in my life seen a player with worse football instincts. You look up “bad angle” in the dictionary and there’ll be a picture of Piscitelli, showing his abs.

2. cincyorangenblack says: Nov 30, 2010 4:33 PM

Dez should’ve been a Bengal….glad he had a chance to get out b4 he got “Bengalized” by the Mike Brown Circus…..

3. sethb222 says: Nov 30, 2010 4:53 PM

I know nothing about Vince Anderson though

4. tombradyswig says: Nov 30, 2010 4:55 PM

“Bucs bounce Sabby Piscitelli”

I think he belongs in the mob or mafia anyway with that name!

5. brock29609 says: Nov 30, 2010 5:08 PM

Morris wouldn’t say it, but I knew it was his fault we had that busted coverage that gave up the long TD.

6. Panda Claus says: Nov 30, 2010 5:09 PM

I wouldn’t be that surprised to see this guy picked up, questionable instincts or not. Safety talent around the league, mainly injury-driven, is down.

Things will have come a long way if teams do start scouring Tampa’s discard pile for help.

7. uscgbuc says: Nov 30, 2010 5:10 PM

YES!!! I’m telling you this guy is a mediocre special teamer at best. He proved once again on Sunday that he still gets burnt on the longball 9 out of 10 times. come on man how do you let a TE get vertical on you like that?

8. damayan5 says: Nov 30, 2010 5:13 PM

@slow joe
    hits like a truck?

Have you ever actually seen him hit someone then? All he does is miss.

9. bucbearpig says: Nov 30, 2010 5:44 PM

He hits like a truck, usually hitting the ground after a WR, TE, FB, RB or QB runs past him

10. rhodeislandpatriotsfan says: Nov 30, 2010 5:48 PM

tombradyswig says:
    Nov 30, 2010 4:55 PM
    “Bucs bounce Sabby Piscitelli”

I think he belongs in the mob or mafia anyway with that name!

*******************

11. brasho says: Nov 30, 2010 6:02 PM

Piscitelli ABSOLUTELY does NOT hit like a truck. He may have been the best athlete and fastest player on the Bucs… but his instincts are poor. Between bad angles and passiveness when tackling, he was a liability.

He was a fantastic special teamer, however. That seemed to be the only time Piscitelli could make a tackle. Asante was a nice pick-up, though I see him much more as a SS… which we need, because Sean Jones is mediocre as well.

12. bucforever says: Nov 30, 2010 6:18 PM

All I can say is that it is about time. He is really stinking as a Buc but I hope he lands on his feet somewhere. The new blood that Morris is bringing up should add a spark to the team this Sunday. I am sure he saw something in these young players that makes him think they could compete for Grimm’s and Davin’s spots. Hope he is right. GO BUCS!

13. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Nov 30, 2010 6:56 PM

I heard he took the wrong angle to the unemployment line.

14. floriosmanhood says: Nov 30, 2010 6:59 PM

As an Eagles fan, he’s nothing more than a Sean Consodine clone. I actually saw more Buc’s games than normal over the last two years being down in Tamp and this dude was a stiff.

15. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Nov 30, 2010 7:27 PM

Ah, put it back in the deck.

16. bf4lyf says: Nov 30, 2010 7:49 PM

Lost in all the hyperbole concerning Piscatelli’s talent (or lack of it), did anyone think of the more obvious reason for his dismissal?

Piscatelli was effectively dumped for the starting safety position during the off-season, and he made no secret of his disillusionment. I suspect that with Grimm’s untimely exit due to injury, our friend Sabby lobbied for what he considered his rightful return to the starting lineup.

Perhaps when confronted with the fact the Bucs were leaning elsewhere, he set fire to what remained of his smoldering bridges.

I doubt the Bucs cut him on ability, but rather to excise a potential problem in the locker room.

Regardless of the worth of his tenure, I wish him well. I’ll bet dollars to Florio’s donuts that Sabby ends up on another squad and is playing in games before the end of the season.

17. Fiori says: Nov 30, 2010 7:56 PM

“rhodeislandpatriotsfan says: Nov 30, 2010 5:48 PM

“As an Italo-American, I can say without hesitation that this is the most obnoxious post I have read to date on ProFootballTalk.com.”

Just keep on bragging like and Italo-American!

18. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Nov 30, 2010 11:15 PM

bf4lyf says: “our friend Sabby lobbied for what he considered his rightful return to the starting lineup.”

Your friend, maybe.

“I doubt the Bucs cut him on ability”

Really? Care to watch the Todd Heap touchdown again?

“I’ll bet dollars to Florio’s donuts that Sabby ends up on another squad and is playing in games before the end of the season.”

I’ll take that bet and raise you a donut. Even if another team signs him, he’ll take a bad angle to the airport. Dude sucks, face it.

19. kevinfromphilly says: Nov 30, 2010 11:57 PM

All in all, a sabby personel move.

20. bf4lyf says: Dec 1, 2010 10:02 PM

To myopinionisrighterthanyours:

Better start saving your spare change for my donuts, Mr. big-mouth. It took all of one day for half my prediction to come true.