Jon Gruden wants to help Miami find “the right guy”

Jon Gruden AP

ESPN analyst Jon Gruden confirmed that he met with the University of Miami on Wednesday.  But he says the meeting didn’t go like you think.

“My brother went to the U of M medical school.  I’m a big fan.  I want the Hurricanes to do well,” Gruden said on a conference call (to preview Jets/Patriots) via multiple reporters.   “If I can help [A.D.] Kirby [Holcutt] and the Hurricanes find the right guy, I’m here to help him do that.   It was an exploratory meeting . . . We never got into specifics of the coaching job.'”

Gruden says he won’t be coaching at Miami.  “That was not something I wanted to do. I’m excited with where I am and that’s the bottom line,” Gruden said.

Gruden says there was “nothing serious” to the meeting.  So why have it?

Miami gets a lot of free publicity and Gruden’s involvement helps make it look like a better gig than it actually is.  As Florio mentioned, it gets Gruden’s name out there for NFL decision makers to see.

Still, ESPN and Gruden say that he’s not going anywhere — through next season.

“He has made a commitment to us, and won’t be having any conversations to entertain a college or pro offer through the 2011 season,” ESPN executive vice president Norby Williamson said via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Jon Gruden wants to help Miami find “the right guy””
  1. bbpats says: Dec 2, 2010 2:37 PM

So will he say, “Now THIS guy, he’s the right guy!”

2. mark0226 says: Dec 2, 2010 2:39 PM

Gruden wants to be the next John Madden. He doesn’t want to go back to coaching now that he has a cake network gig.

3. reallykeepingitreal says: Dec 2, 2010 2:40 PM

I can’t believe anybody would want Gruden to coach them now. How could the players take him seriously after the way he acts on MNF?

4. artiesliver says: Dec 2, 2010 2:44 PM

Jon Gruden doesn’t want to take his talents to South Beach.

5. dilberry says: Dec 2, 2010 2:53 PM

Maybe, just maybe, Gruden is telling the truth.

6. cowboys4life says: Dec 2, 2010 2:58 PM

Is this guy really a good coach? He took over Tony Dungee’s team and won a superbowl with them. Yes, I know Bill Callahan did the same with Grudens team in Oakland, but I would much rather have Jeff Fisher, Marty Schottenheimer, or even Rob Ryan.(more disciplined than Rex, imagine what his teams could do) I’ve also read that Gruden is not very good at developing young QB’s, he works better with a vet, eventually that’s gonna hurt you in the end.

7. 8man says: Dec 2, 2010 2:59 PM

Kind of like how OJ is going to find the real murderer?

But seriously, why leave the box on a hugely popular football broadcast to endure the hell that is coaching in the NFL? So you have to wear a suit. It’s not like you are putting in twenty hour days.

8. shaggytoodle says: Dec 2, 2010 3:08 PM

I don’t think Gruden is the right guy for college, he would rip those guy to shreds. I think he has 2 jobs in his heart that he REALLY wants, and that he is holding out for one of them even though it may take a few seasons to open up like GB perhaps.

9. skinnypigeon says: Dec 2, 2010 3:18 PM

And if you believe that, we hope you enjoy watching Nick Saban lead his Miami Dolphins into battle this weekend. . . . against Bobby Petrino’s Atlanta Falcons.

10. coloradobucsfan says: Dec 2, 2010 3:20 PM

11. damnvarmint says: Dec 2, 2010 3:30 PM

I hear Derek Anderson is going to be available after this year. The Canes’ are going to suck so bad, he’ll have no choice but to laugh.

12. realfootballfan says: Dec 2, 2010 3:41 PM

———-

Pretty much. spot on MDS.

13. cowboys4life says: Dec 2, 2010 3:51 PM

@coloradobucsfan

Who did he replace, I don’t recall ever hearing 8 new starters on offense during the superbowl year. Chris sims? Carnell Williams? Joey Galloway? Keyshawn Johnson?(who is the most over rated WR of all time) If so, I think I’ll stick with Coach Dungee’s team!! Of course, there is a chance I’m wrong, and don’t tell me it’s OL

14. piratefreedom says: Dec 2, 2010 4:22 PM

They should hire This Guy right here” because “This Guyright here” is a Football Guy possibly the best there is.

15. hooterdawg says: Dec 2, 2010 4:45 PM

This has to be the only sports site that constantly name drops it’s own boss – as if Florio is an expert at anything.

16. coloradobucsfan says: Dec 2, 2010 4:48 PM

Cowboys4life I was wrong, there were only 5 new starters. Rob Johnson did start 2 games at QB. Here are the eight err I mean five new guys I spoke of. Michael Pittman RB, Keenan McCardell WR, Ken Dilger TE,Roman Oben LT, Kerry Jenkins LG.

17. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Dec 2, 2010 5:01 PM

” As Florio mentioned, it gets Gruden’s name out there for NFL decision makers to see.”

Do you, or Florio, really think NFL GM’s don’t know who the heck Gruden is? Or would forget about him? There might be something to it if he was really interested in another job, but not at this time of year (what NFL team would hire him now, especially given the Rooney rule). I GUARANTEE the GM’s know who he is and he’s either on their list or not. This, midseason, b.s. meeting would have NO impact on their decision during the NFL offseason. Period.

18. freedomispopular says: Dec 2, 2010 5:10 PM

“#
    coloradobucsfan says: Dec 2, 2010 3:20 PM

If the Broncos are smart they will give total control to John Gruden and let him coach the Broncos out of the bottom of the standings. Gruden is one of the most under rated football pepole there is. I remember when he came to the Bucs and replaced 8 starters on offense and won buc fans a super bowl! Good luck John and hope you end up back in the NFL soon.”

I remember when they won the Super Bowl and then proceeded to do nothing through the rest of Grduen’s tenure. He’s one of the most OVER rated football people there is. He’s better off staying in the booth with his SB win and some dignity, then coming back to the field and losing all of it.

19. mean13 says: Dec 2, 2010 5:11 PM

Why do complete idiots like cowboys4life STILL claim that Gruden won a SB with Tony Dungy’s team when you never hear that Dungy won a SB with Jim Mora’s team? Hey cowboys4life, (and yes, fool, it’s spelled Dungy – not Dungee) do you think that Dungy drafted Manning, James and Harrison? And lastly your Brokeback Mountain ‘Boys are the joke of the NFL.

20. contract says: Dec 2, 2010 6:04 PM

No thanks Jon. You’ve helped enough already.

21. radrntn says: Dec 2, 2010 6:14 PM

once a raider always a raider…he will help thenm sign another raider …aka mike leach

22. ead1 says: Dec 2, 2010 6:26 PM

“Gruden says he won’t be coaching at Miami. “That was not something I wanted to do. I’m excited with where I am and that’s the bottom line,” Gruden said.”

Translation: They wouldn’t pay me enough!