Ochocinco says he’ll buy the unsold tickets to avoid a blackout

Chad Ochocinco

Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco doesn’t like the fact that the team will be experiencing its second straight blackout on Sunday against the Saints.  After complaining about it on Twitter (he said his “level of pissivity” is at an “all-time high,” and he has railed against the price of tickets), Ochocinco made a bold proclamation.

He said that he’ll buy the unsold seats.

“Dear Cincinnati,” Chad writes, “I’m purchasing the remaining tickets for Sundays game, blackout my ass, now anybody know how many I need [to] buy n how much?”

Under a previously little-known rule, teams may purchase all remaining non-premium tickets at 34 cents on the dollar.  If that exception extends to individual players, Chad would be able to write the check that covers the visitor’s share of the box office proceeds.

In a subsequent message, Ochocinco writes that he has spoken to team management, and that he’s “gone make this shhh happen.”

“We might be 2-9 but if i gotta play u gotta watch!!” Ochocinco said.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Ochocinco says he’ll buy the unsold tickets to avoid a blackout”
  1. ralphwilsonsucks says: Dec 2, 2010 5:54 PM

Does he ever shut up!

2. macdbeliever says: Dec 2, 2010 5:58 PM

Mock it all you want…but this is kinda cool. I’m disappointed in you Florio. I would think you of all people would find this really neat he’s willing to do this for the fans.

3. aschwartz2011 says: Dec 2, 2010 6:03 PM

“Actually, plenty of Cincinnati residents probably would prefer to watch something else on a Sunday afternoon.”

Way to be a Debby Downer. I think that this is awesome that a player is doing this! If only the Glazers would follow suit.

4. ilovefoolsball says: Dec 2, 2010 6:05 PM

I think that Cincinnati residents should watch just to see the Drew Brees show on Sunday so that they can see what a championship pro football team looks like and how the Saints receivers speak louder with their hands than their mouths.

5. georgeanderson2 says: Dec 2, 2010 6:07 PM

Will that be.34 cents on the dollar on say a $10.00 fundraiser ticket like the Dolphins sell?

6. mataug says: Dec 2, 2010 6:07 PM

any conservative estimate of how many seats actually remain unsold ?

7. geniusesq says: Dec 2, 2010 6:12 PM

Save your money – they’d rather get the Browns game anyway.

8. cincinnasti says: Dec 2, 2010 6:12 PM

Isn’t it past the deadline?

9. ingloriousmaster says: Dec 2, 2010 6:12 PM

C.O.’s love of football and his desire for the game is pure awesome. Sure he’s a clown at times but he’s a guy you want on your team.

10. snarkygurl says: Dec 2, 2010 6:13 PM

Chad Ochocinco says:
    We have crossed the rubicon with the league and tv network partners so it’s apparently to late to reverse the blackout, totally unfair :(
    ======================
    There you have it PFT Planet…

11. zombierevolution says: Dec 2, 2010 6:13 PM

It is refreshing to see PFT support a player who wants to remove a blackout. It also comforting to know that Florio has a firm handle on what “plenty” of Cincinnati residents would rather do than watching their football team play. Always a man of the people.

Florio- sometimes you just do not know when to avoid making that last snide comment.

12. gamustangdude says: Dec 2, 2010 6:14 PM

@ ilovefoolsball

just like they did against ATL, AR, and Cleveland right?

Stop focusing on last season, it’s a new season. Just let it go, let it go.

13. faulkana says: Dec 2, 2010 6:16 PM

Damn, I wish I could hate this guy.

14. cincinnasti says: Dec 2, 2010 6:16 PM

ilovefoolsball says: Dec 2, 2010 6:05 PM

___

Your post looks as if you running off at the mouth without taking a breathe. Are you okay you didn’t pass out or anything typing that did you?

15. radrntn says: Dec 2, 2010 6:16 PM

hopefully he gives them to a bunch of kids to enjoy…props to the guy.

16. help me says: Dec 2, 2010 6:16 PM

Die hard fans will watch no matter what. That’s who matters in this scenario.

Props to Ocho.

Love ‘em or hate ‘em… he does some funny sh!t.

17. roxtar10 says: Dec 2, 2010 6:17 PM

Yeah – kind of a douche-bag summary for a cool move. I’m the first to jump on the “TO and Ocho Should Just Shut Up and Play” bandwagon, but the guy’s trying to rally an ailing team at least.

We all read your crappy writing, I’m sure there’s plenty of fans watch some Bengals football.

18. imhiravensfan says: Dec 2, 2010 6:17 PM

I am a ravens season ticket holder AND a die hard ravens fan, but this is exactly why ocho cinco is my favorite player in the league!!!

19. johnnyb612 says: Dec 2, 2010 6:18 PM

The more I hear of him, the more I love him.

20. poundtherock says: Dec 2, 2010 6:18 PM

Pretty lame of you to say anything but positives about this Florio.

21. dilberry says: Dec 2, 2010 6:19 PM

99.9% of players would not do this for his city’s fans that care, even as bad as as the team is doing. Kudos to him doing this for the peeps that can’t afford $80 tickets on Sunday and still want to support the Bungles.

22. PFTiswhatitis says: Dec 2, 2010 6:19 PM

what a guy.

He will probably make good on his words too. How can you hate on a guy like this?

23. stanklepoot says: Dec 2, 2010 6:20 PM

If he follows through on this, then it would be the second time he was responsible for avoiding a blackout. He partnered up with a cellphone company he has dealings with to buy up the tickets and hand them out to fans last season. Ocho may be a bit of a goof at times, but at least his heart tends to be in the right place.

24. thribolde says: Dec 2, 2010 6:21 PM

What’s all the hating about? If this player takes it upon himself to ensure the fans get to watch a game in spite of the NFL’s stupid monopolistic rules, more power to him. He may be loud and flashy, but he seems to have his priorities straight.
    They play this GAME so that spectators can enjoy it, without a game being seen, why does it even take place?

25. riverhorsey says: Dec 2, 2010 6:31 PM

“if i gotta play u gotta watch!!”

the height of arrogance

sink-O

26. greenbaysucks says: Dec 2, 2010 6:34 PM

While OchoCinco may be one of the most annoying players in the league, he’s also one of the nicest guys in the league to his fans.

What other player treats fans EVERYWHERE he goes to dinner? Not only does he pay for dinner, but he goes around to every table, talks to people and takes pictures with them.

What other player this year (or in years past) has stepped up and bought all the remaining seats, just so his crap team can be watched?

Say what you will about his antics, but he’s a good dude.

27. bradwins says: Dec 2, 2010 6:39 PM

I get that “old school” football fans are annoyed by some of Chad’s antics. I also thinks he continues to prove he is the opposite of what a lot of people think about him.

The guy is a really good guy; he just has a sense of humor that is a little outsized and rubs crotchety people the wrong way.

Even if Florio won’t compliment Chad, I will. Good job, Chad.

The NFL needs more players like Chad, who take a genuine interest in football fans, and less players involved in legal problems and scandal or playing outside of the rules in a way that jeopardizes their fellow players’ long term health.

28. kisstherings says: Dec 2, 2010 6:40 PM

What a kill joy you are Florio. Why don’t you come over tonight and tell my 8y0 and 6 yo that the little elf on the shelf doesn’t really go to the North Pole every night…..

29. ravensrule says: Dec 2, 2010 6:41 PM

Now go catch some damn balls Ocho, your killing my FF squad

30. ravensrule says: Dec 2, 2010 6:42 PM

BTW, I think this is a cool move as well. James Harrison has to send his kids to college, he would never do this

31. bucks12965 says: Dec 2, 2010 6:43 PM

Aww shucks it’s too late? Darn I so wanted to buy those tickets!

Pretty ez to claim you’re going to buy all the tickets to prevent the blackout, when it’s already too late.

Or it could be he didn’t have the cash. I hear his credit’s not so good.

32. ravenspit says: Dec 2, 2010 6:50 PM

I really dislike Oucho, but ya gotta give him props on this. It really goes to show what a POS owner Brown is. Paul Brown must be spinning in his grave.

33. footballfanatic2010 says: Dec 2, 2010 6:50 PM

What is wrong with you Florio? If he follows through on this, it’ll be one of the best things any player has ever done for his fans.

34. house068 says: Dec 2, 2010 7:05 PM

As a Steeler fan I give him mad props. Lets see, 5000 tix… $70 per… $350,000 per 5k. If $.34 then 119,000 per 5k. He makes $296,875 per game.

35. leboyfriend says: Dec 2, 2010 7:06 PM

Gotta love a guy who puts his money where his mouth is.

36. laxer37 says: Dec 2, 2010 7:11 PM

All Chad is doing is rewarding Mike Brown’s poor business decisions.

I’ll bet he regrets this move when the Bengals kick him to the curb at the end of the season.

37. dixon29 says: Dec 2, 2010 7:16 PM

Good for Chad. I don’t agree with some of the things he has done (I still call him Chad Johnson, not (Ocho…), but I have to admit this is a very admirable thing to do for the Cincinnati fans.

38. kosarsmyidol says: Dec 2, 2010 7:18 PM

ilovefoolsball says: Dec 2, 2010 6:05 PM
    “[...]how the Saints receivers speak louder with their hands than their mouths.”

They speak sign language? Chad’s a good guy. Like many receivers, he’s crazy. However, he appreciates the fans and is good for the game.

39. bbb82 says: Dec 2, 2010 7:19 PM

But what about his children’s college tuition?!?! Oh wait, that’s just James Harrison….

Cool move Chad. I’m sure the Cincy fans…er… I mean the Cincy fan will be really appreciative.

40. pdxninerfan says: Dec 2, 2010 7:24 PM

Sucks if the league in fact prevents him from following through.

But more serious are the blackout rules themselves. Time to punish teams with less than a 0.250 win ratio with no blackouts due to suckiness.

Why the hell would I pay top dollar for e.g. an iPhone that does not work as advertised? Same should go for a football team…drop the price or eliminate the blackout rule until you get above 0.333 or something fair to the fans.

41. mikemcsaint says: Dec 2, 2010 7:27 PM

I’m, obviously, a Saints fan and I think this is a really cool move. I don’t understand why people hate on this guy. I’d rather their angst be aimed at the Cortland Finnegan’s of the league than I guy who just like’s having fun. There is never a dull moment with him but he’s not out crapping on other people like his running mate has done in the past.

42. njhitman says: Dec 2, 2010 7:30 PM

Hey Oc no the Ben Gals fans jumped on the Browns band wagon So why by out a game they still wont watch

43. rjwalnuts says: Dec 2, 2010 7:30 PM

Good job Ocho, glad to see someone care so much about the fans, unlike Florio who sold his soul to this scrub ass Word Press site for us to register nicknames and get a blog address in order to comment on the stories he posts. Went to log in, didn’t accept my old name and password, had to create a new one since my old one is locked out somehow and then had to create a password the system said was good enough to use but I’ll prolly forget.

44. cynicalvision says: Dec 2, 2010 7:32 PM

Nice gesture Ocho. Try and get them into the hands of kids that would never be able to attend a game otherwise.

45. njhitman says: Dec 2, 2010 7:33 PM

help me says:
    Dec 2, 2010 6:16 PM
    Die hard fans will watch no matter what. That’s who matters in this scenario.

Props to Ocho.

Love ‘em or hate ‘em… he does some funny sh!t.

—————————————
    Show us ONE die hard fan GEE there was over 100 BenGals fans on here before the season started so where are all of them Watching the Browns

46. rastanati says: Dec 2, 2010 7:46 PM

I am amazed by some of the responses towards Chad’s offer. Most of his actions are about self promotion, but he also has a track record of being very generous to both fans and the community. The Brown family should feel more compelled to purchase the remaining tickets than Chad!

47. vikesfansteve says: Dec 2, 2010 7:48 PM

He will be broke & declare bankruptcy within 4 yrs of being retired. Bet on it.

48. doe22us says: Dec 2, 2010 7:49 PM

Now thats a man …Kudos Chad .. and he does so much more for fans and people not only in Cincy but elsewhere .. He is a great guy… All of the haters out there are just bitter with their sad lives…

49. FinFan68 says: Dec 2, 2010 8:03 PM

The guy is a clown and likely a charitable figure within the community but his latest publicity stunt (that’s all it is) demonstrates two things:
    1) Ticket prices have not fluxuated due to market demands
    2) Some players (including himself) are overpaid

50. kenny1960 says: Dec 2, 2010 8:09 PM

I gotta give Chad props for stepping up to the plate to make sure the game will be shown on tv this Sunday. But as usual Florio just could not report on the story without his usual hateful snide remarks. The economy is in the crapper as is the Bengals season yet he chose to put his cash out there anyway so people can watch. I hope they win Sunday

51. igottz5onit says: Dec 2, 2010 8:10 PM

As a Steelers fan, I have actually always liked Chad Johnson. He is funny, entertaining, and good-spirited. The league could use more of that entertainment. Unlike TO, who is entertaining like a car accident.

52. PCa Survivor says: Dec 2, 2010 8:13 PM

“We might be 2-9 but if i gotta play u gotta watch!!” Ochocinco said.

____

Hilarious! I don’t see this as arrogant at all. Pretty funny. Keeping it real… You go 85!

53. hgl4969 says: Dec 2, 2010 9:06 PM

Way to go Chad! You gotta love him – He has spunk and make football fun. Putting it out there for the fans — Everything I’ve read about his antics are for the people and for the fans!
    We need more players like him.

Spoken by a die hard Steeler fan.

54. wizahdry says: Dec 2, 2010 9:42 PM

I think a thirty something receiver with declining numbers on a team that is one step away from having to rebuild may wanna hold onto his money. The honey hole is going to be drying up quickly.

55. tbssic says: Dec 2, 2010 9:44 PM

This guy is makin it really hard for me to hate him,,,, as much as I did…..

An the blackout………..

They want 18 games…. Exposure and money….
    They want a team in Europe… Exposure and money.
    They black out home games??????
    I’m missing what here???????

56. ybo1 says: Dec 3, 2010 11:21 AM

This is a very cool gesture and the Bengals fans should be proud to have someone like him on their team. I’m a Viking fan, and cannot see any of them doing what he is trying to do. Kudos to you Chad!! You at least make your team interesting. Also very hot Peta add!

57. seanman05 says: Dec 3, 2010 2:26 PM

yeah let’s dog a guy who’s doing something nice and good… florio you are a sincere jackass.