Roy Williams calls his fumble “just a freak thing”

roywilliams2

Cowboys receiver Roy Williams went from hero to goat in an instant on Thanksgiving, catching a big pass that almost sealed a victory, only to get caught from behind and stripped for a fumble that ended up leading to the Saints’ game-winning touchdown.

But while that was a huge play in the game, Williams sounded on the Ben & Skin Show on KESN like he’s not sure what he could have done differently.

“If I had to do it over again I’d do the same thing, but I’d cover it up and hopefully I’d fall into the end zone next time,” Williams said. “The mishap happened. It’s just a freak thing. It’s football, it happens, you hate for that type of thing to happen at that time.”

And although Williams has faced a lot of scrutiny, both for that play and for the overall quality of his play in Dallas, he said people who know football know that he’s had a very good year.

“I’m nowhere near trying to toot my own horn because I’m not that type of player, but I’ve been the most consistent wide receiver that we have on this roster,” Williams said. “That can go back all the way to OTAs, training camp and during the season. I’m not getting very many opportunities but I’m doing everything that I’m supposed to do. I’m run blocking, lining up, doing things I’m supposed to do. A lot of things that don’t make SportsCenter but a lot of things that my coaches see and my teammates see.”

But what the rest of us saw is that costly fumble.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Roy Williams calls his fumble “just a freak thing””
  1. dolphinatic says: Dec 2, 2010 12:19 PM

I call BS… the Ghost of Javon Kearse had nothing to with it. You can’t both be #1 Roy that would be #11.

2. charleswoodson says: Dec 2, 2010 12:22 PM

Short memory, as your “freak thing” happened to you in Green Bay last year when I picked your pocket.

Roy, you’re an average WR and not elite — and will probably never make the Pro Bowl again.

What a waste of high draft picks Jerry spent on you.

Your epitaph for this season: “Mr. Fumble Bumble Guy”

3. kscogg says: Dec 2, 2010 12:24 PM

focus on the negative. if the defense steps up after that turn over we’re not even talkin about the fumble but i get it, you have to stir the pot.

he’s right though…he has been the one bright spot for that team this year.

4. boisestatewhodat says: Dec 2, 2010 12:24 PM

No, no Roy…the freak thing is MALCOM JENKINS!! TWO DAT!! Saints are about to make another Super Bowl run…you’ll see!

5. johnabis says: Dec 2, 2010 12:26 PM

by looking at the picture; I’d say if someone punched me in my junk that I’d fumble the ball too

6. johnabis says: Dec 2, 2010 12:27 PM

Never mind wrong game.. I wish i could edit my comments..

7. FinFan68 says: Dec 2, 2010 12:43 PM

That play was not a bad thing by Williams; it was an extraordinary play by the Saints player. It was very similar to the Meacham(?) play against the Redskins last year

8. ernieernie says: Dec 2, 2010 1:00 PM

Freak Thing????? Roy, your the freak. Get it in your head once and for all that your an average reciever who’s been overpaid for years and you will never be a hall of famer except in your dreams.

I’ve seen receivers stripped of the balls going into the endzones all year long in both college and pro ball this year. In all cases they had the ball out there for the taking and had no clue that someone was actually catching up to them from behind because their minds were on the big score.
    You can’t convince me that not one of these people weren’t coached about taking care of the ball in the open field.

9. hesaidwhat860 says: Dec 2, 2010 1:15 PM

freak thing my ass happened in the redskins game too

10. dolphinphan says: Dec 2, 2010 1:28 PM

you’re not the kind of guy to toot your own horn Roy? Is it just me or are you forgetting last year when Miles Austin was in the midst of becoming a superstar you declared yourself as the #1 on the team?

Toot away Roy, that fumble that was a freak thing only cost your team another W.

11. Todd Chipman says: Dec 2, 2010 1:29 PM

I guess the fumble against the Bears in week 2 was “just a freak thing” too.

12. mark0226 says: Dec 2, 2010 1:42 PM

I agree with Roy. Aside from not holding the ball tight enough, he didn’t do anything wrong. Malcom Jenkins just made a really great play on defense. And then Drew Brees made some really great plays on offense, going 90 yards for the go ahead score.

13. ilovefoolsball says: Dec 2, 2010 2:15 PM

Sometimes the sun doesn’t revolve around Dallas. Not every outcome has to be determined by what a Dallas player did or didn’t do. Malcolm Jenkins was simply the superior athlete on that play and won the battle in the end.
    Then Brees proved to be the superior player on the Saints offense as he systematically picked apart the Dallas secondary and went after the weak links: Newman and the bad M Jenkins.

14. ilovefoolsball says: Dec 2, 2010 2:20 PM

…oh and Brees also went after the hearts of the Dallas fans, the weakest links of all.

15. chargerbar says: Dec 2, 2010 3:23 PM

I’m just glad Jerry Jones decided to keep Williams and trade Patrick Crayton to the Chargers. For a 7th round draft choice no less.

Crayton has been a stud for the Bolts. He may not have Williams’ size or speed, but he plays hard and intimidates; he doesn’t get intimidated. The Crayton I’ve seen play for the Chargers – I don’t see him allowing a D-back to strip the ball from him the way Jenkins did on Williams.

16. kevinfromphilly says: Dec 2, 2010 3:24 PM

Roy must have taken some of Keyshawn Johnson’s mushrooms – how else does a marginal NFL talent declare himself a great WR?

To ilovefootball – your premise is incorrect, Dallas fans have no heart.

17. chargerbar says: Dec 2, 2010 3:24 PM

I’d also like thank Jerry Jones for Kevin Burnett.

18. kimcon22000 says: Dec 2, 2010 4:50 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

What a diluded, ego-cyntric POS.

Roy Williams too.

Cowpie fans are the dumbest in the league …….

Show me a smart Cowgirl fan and I’ll show you someone who should be in jail for rape.

19. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Dec 2, 2010 5:09 PM

““If I had to do it over again I’d do the same thing, but I’d cover it up and hopefully I’d fall into the end zone next time,” ”

Ummm, Roy that’s NOT doing it the same way!! I’d love to see what Roy would score on an I.Q. test.

20. joetoronto says: Dec 3, 2010 6:35 AM

*********************************************************
    This mofo is as dumb as they come.