Rex Ryan is desperate for bulletin board material

Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan

Bill Belichick and his Patriots drones won’t say anything negative about the Jets, which has Jets coach Rex Ryan grasping for motivational straws.

“I know they say we are a great team, and I see the sarcasm,” Ryan said. “Well, they are going to find out if we are a great team or not, I can tell you that much.”

Yeah!  It was all sarcasm!  How can you tell, Rex?

“I just sense it, because they all have the same comment,”  Ryan said. “That, ‘Well, we’ll just say this and this.’ We’re coming. We’ll show up and see what happens.”

Asked Saturday about that, Belichick just said to take a look at their record.   “A lot of teams would like to have their record.”

While the Patriots were probably told not to say anything inflammatory this week, it’s not like this is a new approach.  They do it every week, regardless of the opponent.  Listening to Belichick before the Thanksgiving game, you’d think Shaun Hill was Joe Montana.  Still, Jets players are buying in to Rex’s sarcasm message.

“I heard a few guys talking how great we were, and they never give us credit, so that’s a bunch of bull,” Richardson told Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “It is what it is. Playing a little Jedi mind tricks, that’s fine. You can talk all that stuff, but bottom line, you’ve still got to play the game. Doesn’t really faze me too much.”

Defensive end Shaun Ellis said that playing under coach Eric Mangini let them know not to take anything at face value.

“We know they try to feed us a lot of stuff they really don’t mean,” Ellis said.

That’s probably a fair way to approach anything coming out of a coach’s mouth before a big game.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Rex Ryan is desperate for bulletin board material”
  1. promin1 says: Dec 4, 2010 2:37 PM

OMG I hate the Jets so much. Such a pathetic organization.

2. mistrezzrachael says: Dec 4, 2010 2:38 PM

Rex is much more entertaining in press conferences when he loses!

Sorry, but the guy is an attention seeking fool. Too bad because he can coach defense.

Try 12-4, 13-3…and needing to go on road for wildcard

3. jetsarestacked says: Dec 4, 2010 2:39 PM

kinda reminds me how when florio and the rest of you hacks are desperate for material you make a jets related post.

4. drowningboy says: Dec 4, 2010 2:40 PM

So are we!!!

5. ampats says: Dec 4, 2010 2:46 PM

It is called respect for your opponent.

Funny how that hack sportswriter Rich Cimini refers to them as the Stepford bunch because they follow their coaches lead and don’t make a–holes of themselves like some other coaches/players in the NFL.

After the game maybe Rex can get on the ESPN bus and change his autograph to Coach of the AFC Chumps.

6. bradybunch12 says: Dec 4, 2010 2:53 PM

So Rex Ryan is looking for stuff to feeds his players and sarcasm is the best he can come up with, honestly I’m disappointed in you Rex you of all people should know the bigger the game the less the Patriots talk, now as a Pats fan I hope you lose your week 13 Super bowl.

7. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: Dec 4, 2010 3:06 PM

So how is Rex grasping for motivational straws again? I don’t see anything here that would lead you to that conclusion. All he is saying is that he’s not buying into what they’re saying, and that they’re ready to play.

8. backindasaddle says: Dec 4, 2010 3:12 PM

This appears to be a whole lot of nothing.

9. trixstal says: Dec 4, 2010 3:12 PM

This is a very different N.E. team than the one the Jets faced earlier in the year.

N.E. will bury them.

10. boblavoie says: Dec 4, 2010 3:29 PM

Look, the Patriots don’t need bulletin board material as they always come to play the game. BB is smarter than that and always respects his opponent even if they are 11 and 0. Sorry Rex but Bill remembers what his mother told him: “If you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all.” But if I was him (Bill) for one minute I would tell you (Rex) kiss my ……. rings.

11. robsterny says: Dec 4, 2010 3:34 PM

*LOL*…You suckers!…Rex Ryan isnt,and does’nt need any “negatives” from the Pats to fire up this team. Rosenthal and PFT need them to have something to do. If these two teams arent motivated given thier equal records and whats on the line here,than NOTHING will motivate them.
    Damn Fools!

12. bspurloc says: Dec 4, 2010 3:36 PM

this article is just plain stupid……

to suggest rex ryan would need to grasp at straws to motivate a team is insane.

and um… u do remember the jets beat the pats right +moss?

13. easyeddie says: Dec 4, 2010 3:38 PM

Rex Ryan is laughable. Just play the game and quit the juvenile crap.

14. grpatriot says: Dec 4, 2010 3:50 PM

He knows with Leonard out, the defense is in trouble! Sanchez vs. Brady is a no win in Foxborough.
    Sometimes keeping your mouth shut is the best thing! Belichick won’t take the bait. Up to now Rex and the Jets have done all the talking…Monday is getting closer and closer!
    Time to cash that check, Jetfans…

15. robsterny says: Dec 4, 2010 3:53 PM

@ ampats

Maybe you should show some respect for your opponent….practice what you preach …that is if you have the character to do so…The game has not been played yet!…lets see how you feel tuesday morning.

16. fat4jc says: Dec 4, 2010 3:54 PM

there’s alot of nothingness around here lately.

17. boblavoie says: Dec 4, 2010 4:06 PM

Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan and Buddy Ryan – here is three of a kind that would beat a full house.

18. hobartbaker says: Dec 4, 2010 4:09 PM

The Ryan brothers look so much alike. Which one is Fat and which one is Stupid again?

19. hairpie says: Dec 4, 2010 4:19 PM

this is the difference between the jets and Pats. the jets are absolutely consumed with this. for the Pats, its just another regular season division game.

20. artiesliver says: Dec 4, 2010 4:27 PM

Bill says Rex is fat.

21. FinFan68 says: Dec 4, 2010 4:35 PM

History is the only “bulletin board” material the Jets should be concerned with. The Jets have a knack for screwing up a perfectly good season. They managed to overcome that and sneak into the playoffs last year and did very well. It is easy to disappoint when expectations are high. They have managed to win the close games this year and they need to continue that if they expect to win the division. They have been on the verge already this year and if they lose two in a row, they just might lose 4.

22. RexCanCoach says: Dec 4, 2010 4:47 PM

I love the way everyone says “Oh this is a different Patriots team than Week #2″

FYI, this just in. Pats defense still blows, and Sanchez will take advantage of that AGAIN.

And also, just a subtle reminder. The Saints are the world champs. Pats days on top are over, your QB has jumped the shark.

23. raidersteve413 says: Dec 4, 2010 4:48 PM

Lets Go JETS!
    I WILL BE A HUGE JETS FAN ON MONDAY NIGHT!
    I hope they go after bradys knee

24. j0esixpack says: Dec 4, 2010 5:02 PM

There was no sarcasm… the Patriots sincerely would never underestimate Rex Ryan…

…anyone who could have gastric bypass surgery and actually GAIN weight deserves a certain amount of respect for an ability to accomplish the unthinkable!

25. sundaysundaysunday says: Dec 4, 2010 5:06 PM

How bout this….

4:15 PM ET, September 19, 2010

New Meadowlands Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

Jets 28, Patriots 14

26. j0esixpack says: Dec 4, 2010 5:06 PM

The funny thing about the Patriots and Jets… the Jets spent a ton of money on tall cornerbacks who could take on a guy like Randy Moss

But now the Patriots offense is made up of small quick guys who earn their yards after the catch by juking 6 foot tall cornerbacks

Not that Revis and Cromartie are bad CBs, they’re just better suited to shut down a guy like Moss than Welker or Branch

Even in trading Moss, Belichick still found a way to turn a Jets advantage into their achilles heel!

27. cjspiller12 says: Dec 4, 2010 5:24 PM

He should be desperate for a weight loss plan!!

28. nyjetsholdupsbtrophyin2010 says: Dec 4, 2010 5:38 PM

promin1 says:
    Dec 4, 2010 2:37 PM
    OMG I hate the Jets so much. Such a pathetic organization.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

No, what’s pathetic is the fact you used (OMG) your either a 12 yr old girl or your stemming the Rose!

29. 4sacroc says: Dec 4, 2010 5:41 PM

34-23 – Pats.

More L’s on the way for Jets at PIT and CHI

30. bigho203 says: Dec 4, 2010 5:44 PM

I love all u jets hater that just let’s us know that were that GOOD!!!!!!! Wee,wee,wee, like the little piggy said on the way home.

31. ampats says: Dec 4, 2010 6:08 PM

Robsterny,

Sorry but contrary to your belief , I am not on the Patriots 53 man roster or practice squad therefore the Jets are not my opponent but is the opponent of my team.

The Jets/Rex Ryan have been trash talking since before Hard Knocks.

It is going to be a great game between the two best teams in the AFC ( subject to change as it happens every week)

My dislike/hatred of the Jets goes back before the border wars.

Tuesday morning I will be happy and hungover

How about you ?? See you then

32. jetsarestacked says: Dec 4, 2010 6:15 PM

“the Jets spent a ton of money on tall cornerbacks who could take on a guy like Randy Moss”

wtf are you talking about? the jets traded for cromartie who still has a year on his contract. the jets are paying him peanuts. besides, cromartie has been fantastic covering anyone who lines up against him.

moreover, you think revis cant cover smaller receivers? really? he locked up steve smith pretty good last year.

just an awful post by a clueless pats fan.

33. blackcatnfl says: Dec 4, 2010 6:22 PM

Patriots have had Jets-envy since the August TV show. I think its defacto that the Patriots are being sarcastic, they’ve been sick of all the Jets talk for two years now.

34. Ralphie says: Dec 4, 2010 6:29 PM

The five things that will NEVER be said by a New Jersey Jests fan:

1. “I’ll take Shakespeare for 1000, Alex.”

2. “I just couldn’t find a thing at Walmart today.”

3. “Checkmate”

4. “Hey look everyone, Coach Ryan only has one chin!”

5. “Wow, that Super Bowl title last year is such a great memory.”

35. kissringsrex says: Dec 4, 2010 6:41 PM

The Jets are who we think they are, a very good football team with a 9-2 record who are a playoff caliber team.

I don’t think anybody with any football I.Q. would disagree with that statment. I think that includes the Patriot organization from top to bottom. The Jets didn’t get to 9-2 the easy way. They overcame adversity to get there.

Just because I think their a good team still doesn’t mean I detest them and their loud mouthed, blow hard coach. The game isn’t over ’till the fatman cries. Go Pats!

36. afc22 says: Dec 4, 2010 6:50 PM

everyone knows the game the Pats play. it has nothing to do with respect and everything to do with trying to avoid bulletin board material.

Jets are fully aware of that and not falling for it.

They’re coming to play on Monday, no hiding Pats fans all you can do is pray you don’t get spanked again

37. dryheaveone says: Dec 4, 2010 6:58 PM

Ryan is becoming a parody of himself. He talks so much you can’t even consider it “trash talking” anymore. Plus he does it with a smirk on his face so you can tell he doesn’t take himself seriously……he is a roly-poly loveable clown. Hell, even Patriot fans think he’s funny.

38. blackglass3 says: Dec 4, 2010 6:59 PM

Ralphie says:
    Dec 4, 2010 6:29 PM
    The five things that will NEVER be said by a New Jersey Jests fan:

1. “I’ll take Shakespeare for 1000, Alex.”

2. “I just couldn’t find a thing at Walmart today.”

3. “Checkmate”

4. “Hey look everyone, Coach Ryan only has one chin!”

5. “Wow, that Super Bowl title last year is such a great memory.”

===================================

WIN!!!!

39. blackglass3 says: Dec 4, 2010 7:02 PM

afc22 says:
    Dec 4, 2010 6:50 PM

Jets are fully aware of that and not falling for it.

————————————————–

Unfortunatley for the puke green scumbags, the Patriots are also coming to play. The Cleveland game woke up Tom Brady, and he’s not going back to sleep until 7 February.

40. hobartbaker says: Dec 4, 2010 7:15 PM

Caption the picture…………………

Rex, “I think we should go straight.”.

Rob, “No, lets veer sharply to the left.”.

41. hobartbaker says: Dec 4, 2010 7:17 PM

Caption the picture…………………….

Rob: “Thanks for the suit bro, I had spaghetti stains on my T shirt and jeans.”.

42. hobartbaker says: Dec 4, 2010 7:19 PM

Caption the picture…………….

Rex: “LOL, so she STILL thinks you’re Jeff Bridges?”.

43. footballchamp says: Dec 4, 2010 8:07 PM

Haven’ the Jets beaten the Patriots 5 out their last 6 meetings? Why would the Patriots comments be construed as sarcastic? I don’t get it.

Clearly he is trying to rally his troops after the costly loss of Leonard. The Jets are a really good team, they’ll be fine. Finally a really good game for MNF.

44. benjaminbreeg11 says: Dec 4, 2010 8:17 PM

Is that picture of Rex and his brother recent? I thought this fat dung pile had weight-loss surgery.

Dude should get a refund. I mean he still looks he’s downing 30 Big Mac’s a day. With his obvious commitment to eating, where does he find the time to coach?

45. luvthatdirtywatah says: Dec 4, 2010 8:46 PM

Whatever. In time Rex will learn what the rest of the league already knows: Bill and his team cite cliche effusive praises of their opponents in the pressers and do their talking on the field. Period. Nothing more – nothing less. It has nothing to do with you Rex. You could be the North Dallas Bulls and Bill would say the same thing.

Bill is a man – Rex is an immature boy. His lesson comes Monday night.

46. dryheaveone says: Dec 4, 2010 8:47 PM

I’m a Pats fan and I have no problem with Ryan…he’s a harmless oaf with a sense of humor. He reminds me of my garbage man

47. luvthatdirtywatah says: Dec 4, 2010 8:57 PM

dryheaveone says: Dec 4, 2010 8:47 PM

Post of the week right there folks. Truly LOLd when I read it.

48. nesuperfan says: Dec 4, 2010 9:55 PM

footballchamp says:
    Dec 4, 2010 8:07 PM
    Haven’t the Jets beaten the Patriots 5 out their last 6 meetings? Why would the Patriots comments be construed as sarcastic? I don’t get it.

No that is not correct:
    Sep 19, 2010 NE 14 @ NYJ 28 L
    Nov 22, 2009 NYJ 14 @ NE 31 W
    Sep 20, 2009 NE 9 @ NYJ 16 L
    Nov 13, 2008 NYJ 34 @ NE 31 L
    Sep 14, 2008 NE 19 @ NYJ 10 W
    Dec 16, 2007 16 NYJ 10 @ NE 20 W

In the last 6 meetings, they are 3-3, and of course in the 18-1 2007 season, the Pats beat the Jets the first meeting also. Nevertheless, your point is still valid. You can’t take anyone, who has split with you over the past 6 games lightly.

49. tothefellowshipofthemiserable says: Dec 4, 2010 10:09 PM

Hey raidersteve413 ! How’s your team doing ? Can you say tuck rule ! Have a nice day !

50. hobartbaker says: Dec 5, 2010 12:16 AM

They work for different teams but Rex and Rob will always be Buddy’s.

51. hobartbaker says: Dec 5, 2010 12:18 AM

“How come you always get the nice blue suit with the matching tie and I have to wear the grey one that’s too big? Mom said we should take turns.”.

52. robsterny says: Dec 5, 2010 11:27 AM

@ Finsfan68,

You are going to sit there and write about “History” *LOL*…Thats all your fish have!…Dolpins have done squat in recent years! Seems to me that your MANAGEMENT has found away to srew up an entire organization. Hows that knuckle-dragging WR workin out for ya?…is he still playing?, because nobody seems to notice.

actually …do you have a management?..and who are they?..isnt Parcells still there?..nobody seems to notice that either.
    Come back when your team does something …noticeable…*LOL*

53. dienavinjohnson says: Dec 5, 2010 1:31 PM

blackcatnfl says:
    Dec 4, 2010 6:22 PM

___________________________________
    I think what blackcatnfl meant to say was the Jets have had Patriots envy ever since Belichick chose the Pats over the Jets and went on to win 3 Super Bowls. But, yeah, Hard Knocks was a funny 6 week TV show that pretty much nobody watched.

54. javman22 says: Dec 6, 2010 11:20 PM

What happened to the Jets? Embarrasing showing for the Jersey Shore idiots against the awesome Pats!

55. rushmatic says: Dec 7, 2010 12:27 AM

@robsterny

Feeling pretty good this morning, thanks.