Broncos fans got their wish: Josh McDaniels is gone. Now comes the hard part.
The Broncos are facing understandable heat about the effectiveness of their owner and the attractiveness of the Broncos job. On Tuesday, COO Joe Ellis and interim head coach Eric Studesville answered pressing questions in the wake of McDaniels’ firing. It was telling owner that Pat Bowlen was not present. Some highlights from the session
1. Ellis indicated the next Broncos head coach would not have the same authority as McDaniels. “We probably burdened Josh with too much responsibility,” Ellis said. He indicated it was “very likely” the team won’t empower the next head coach to have as much responsibility as McDaniels was “burdened” with. That could eliminate already unlikely names such as Bill Cowher.
2. The recent videotaping scandal was “one of many factors” in McDaniels’ dismissal.
3. Ellis wanted to keep any severance package with McDaniels private. He slightly backed off from his statement that the videotaping scandal wasn’t a fireable offense. He didn’t outright dismiss the possibility McDaniels could be fired for cause.
“What I said at the time, where we were on that Saturday — it wasn’t a fireable offense. There were a bunch of factors in the decision . . . it became too overwhelming. I’m not going to single one thing out.”
Still, Ellis kept saying you may hear things from “outside the organization” on McDaniels’ severance package which indicates that story may have legs.
4. Ellis confirmed John Elway is a business consultant with the team and has expressed interest in a growing role on the football side.
5. You could see why Studesville was chosen. He had a lot of energy and a direct manner. He said there is there is “no place I’d rather be than right here, right now.”
6. Offensive coordinator Mike McCoy will call the offense. Every other coach will remain in the same role.
7. Ellis said the organization hasn’t even discussed possible coaching candidates, much less sent out feelers. He also confirmed he essentially runs all day-to-day decisions. He also said their search wouldn’t be affected by how much they are paying McDaniels and Mike Shanahan.
8. Studesville made no promises about using Tim Tebow, just saying the team will try to win. Kyle Orton is the starting quarterback this week.