Eddie George not happy with Titans

EddieGeorgeandJeffFisher

It’s an all-Titans (or at least a most-Titans) night here at PFT, so let’s share another tale from Tennessee.

Former Titans tailback Eddie George isn’t pleased with the level of effort he has seen from the team for which he once starred.

“What I saw on Sunday, I’ve never seen a team play with such a lack of enthusiasm, lack of effort,” George told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean.  “Even when they had a chance to win, the energy and body language wasn’t there.  No one stepped up player-wise to meet that challenge.  The energy I saw, it didn’t seem like there was a sense of energy from anybody.  No one seemed to want it.  You want to go in there with a purpose.  They have to want it.  I saw none of that.”

George seemed to put the blame more on the players than on the coaches.

“Everybody is vested — it’s coaches, players, the training staff — to get the guys ready.  It’s strength coach Steve Watterson.  It’s everybody,” George said. “But it comes down to the core unit of the team to say:  ‘This is what we are about.  We make up the team.’  At some point and time the coaches will coach, and get you ready.  But the players decide on what type of team they are going to be.  Are you going to be mentally tough?  Or are you going to fold up your tents and lay down?  And that is what I see.  I see inconsistency with attitude.  I don’t see any fire and that concerns me.”

Part of George’s concern is the future of head coach Jeff Fisher.

“I looked at Jeff’s face at the press conference after the game Sunday and I’d never seen him look that way,” George said.  “He looked tired, he looked stressed.  He’s always had that glass-is-half-full attitude, and he seems a little tired.  It concerns me, what is going on.  And I hope the guys realize the gem they have in Coach Fisher.  Having played for him and having played for someone else, it is two totally different situations.”

By the way, the “someone else” to whom George is referring is Bill Parcells, who coached the Cowboys during George’s short, career-closing stint with the team.  Some think that, if Fisher is fired in Tennessee, he’ll end up getting the job in Dallas.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Eddie George not happy with Titans”
  1. jaggedmark says: Dec 7, 2010 11:11 PM

They quit from the time Randy Moss arrived.

Coincidence?

2. profootballwalk says: Dec 7, 2010 11:29 PM

I suspect the Titans’ players are none too pleased with Eddie right now.

3. monkeesfan says: Dec 7, 2010 11:30 PM

Parcells is not qualified to coach anymore – his style has become outdated and it’s showing in the mediocrity of the Dolphins. As for lack of energy in the Titans’ play, defensively I don’t agree, but offensively I thought the Titans got deflated after the two passes to Moss that clipped the ground before being caught in the second quarter.

4. metalhead65 says: Dec 7, 2010 11:48 PM

I realy hope both fisher and fox get fired after the season. I can’t wait to read your column about what rash and horrible decsion it was for the teams that hire them shortly there after. and despite what you think they will not be out of jobs very long.

5. Doug says: Dec 8, 2010 12:22 AM

re: If he plans on getting any other head-coaching job in the NFL, Fisher will need a darn good explanation for the apparent reality that his team has quit on him.

What a load of crap? One bad year does not erase his 15+ years of stellar consistency. This guy is a top tier coach and everybody knows it, and I think his tenure speaks to that as well.

6. canadianvikingfaniii says: Dec 8, 2010 12:41 AM

The team pulled a VY.

7. warriorking1112 says: Dec 8, 2010 1:26 AM

What I saw on Sunday, I’ve never seen a team play with such a lack of enthusiasm, lack of effort,” George told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “Even when they had a chance to win, the energy and body language wasn’t there. No one stepped up player-wise to meet that challenge. The energy I saw, it didn’t seem like there was a sense of energy from anybody. No one seemed to want it. You want to go in there with a purpose. They have to want it. I saw none of that.”

i guess he didnt watch the redkins-eagles on monday night or the redskins-giants on sun

8. contract says: Dec 8, 2010 1:34 AM

“If he plans on getting any other head-coaching job in the NFL, Fisher will need a darn good explanation for the apparent reality that his team has quit on him.”

Two words … Vince Young.

Everyone in Tennessee knows that Fisher isn’t the boss there anymore.

9. freedomispopular says: Dec 8, 2010 1:54 AM

I’d be tired too if I had to deal with all that crap from Vince Young and Bud Adams.

10. pondbridge says: Dec 8, 2010 2:19 AM

Fisher has been made Dead Coach Walking by Bud Adams, who makes Al Davis look passive. Young and Fisher can no longer exist, and Adams chose Psycho. Team knows that Fisher will be coaching in Charlotte or Denver or Houston or Cincinnati next year, and that the owner has driven that franchise’s best coach to quit or to ‘be resigned’. The team is in mourning. Adams is the problem, Fisher has always been the star. I will take one nanosecond for him to land somewhere else

11. joetoronto says: Dec 8, 2010 6:08 AM

What a game it would be if they all played like Eddie George.

12. mrone50 says: Dec 8, 2010 7:28 AM

After reading this I see Eddie George came with his extended clip with hollow tip cliches and he fired everyone of those bad boys.

He didn’t really mean Fisher is a gem compared to the Big Tuna, did he?

13. steelerdynasty2010 says: Dec 8, 2010 8:07 AM

how many winning seasons in how many years of coaching? i know you want consistency and continuity in your coaching staff, but this kind? i’m a steeler fan so one less team to worry about in the AFC is just fine with me.

14. zoxitic says: Dec 8, 2010 8:23 AM

This sucks, because the Jags need a Titan win against the Colts tomorrow night. You turds better not lay an egg!

15. favrecansuckit says: Dec 8, 2010 8:24 AM

“One bad year does not erase his 15+ years of stellar consistency. This guy is a top tier coach and everybody knows it, and I think his tenure speaks to that as well.”
    ————————————————-
    What exactly has he won??

16. eagleswin says: Dec 8, 2010 8:31 AM

Remember how happy everyone on the Titans was when they were able to claim Randy Moss off of waivers. They gushed that they had such a great locker room and that Moss wouldn’t be a problem.

Moss never mentally checked in with the titans and now the rest of the team has mentally checked out. It’s not just Vince Young. This team hasn’t won a single game with Moss on the roster. The difference in the team before he was claimed and after he was claimed is night and day.

17. pukey60 says: Dec 8, 2010 8:41 AM

The Randy Moss hex continues. Whats was Jeffy thinking?

18. waynefontes says: Dec 8, 2010 8:48 AM

joetoronto says:
    Dec 8, 2010 6:08 AM
    What a game it would be if they all played like Eddie George.
    ————————————————–

19. zoxitic says: Dec 8, 2010 9:17 AM

If the Titans waived Randy Moss, do you think any other team would claime him?

20. drewbo22 says: Dec 8, 2010 9:29 AM

@Doug

What rock have you been hiding under, Fisher has been consistently mediocre. He has six winning seasons in 16 full years of coaching the Titans. With a current winning percentage of .553 and a playoff winninfg percentage of .455. If this guy was the coach in a major market he would have been fired many times over.

I know everyone has their own personal opinion, but Fisher has not won JACK. In seventeen years as an NFL head coach, he has no more Superbowl rings than I…with no NFL head coaching experience.

Jeff Fisher =AVERAGE

See article by Sal Paolantonio in 2008.

21. cshearing says: Dec 8, 2010 12:11 PM

pondbridge says: Dec 8, 2010 2:19 AM

—————————————————-

You said it, and it should be obvious. Especially to someone that gets paid to follow and talk about football.

22. clinttaurus says: Dec 8, 2010 12:15 PM

favrecansuckit says:
    Dec 8, 2010 8:24 AM
    ————————————————-
    What exactly has he won??

pretty much 8 games a year…
    no one can say he’s not consistent; consistently mediocre, that is…

23. 1historian says: Dec 8, 2010 2:02 PM

“It don’t mean a thing if you ain’t got that ring”

24. downtowndanny says: Dec 9, 2010 1:41 AM

if you coach long enough you will eventually lose your team too. the key isn’t to fire a solid proven coach, but instead trade some players and bring in some young motivated guys, not set in their ways, old disgruntled players (insert #84’s name here). A change of scenery will suit Fisher well, can somebody say San Diego, Norv has worn out his welcome some time ago. Although it would be cool to see Ron Rivera get a shot at head coaching, his defense took the Rex Grossman led Bears to the Superbowl so imagine what he could do with an actual QB…Eddie is just speaking up for his (former) coach, nothing wrong with that at all