Rex Ryan: Obviously, we got our butts kicked

Jermaine Cunningham, Mark Sanchez

Following his team’s humiliating 45-3 loss in New England, Jets coach Rex Ryan walked to the podium in the press room and told the assembled reporters, “Obviously, we got outcoached, outplayed, got our butts kicked. I don’t know what else you can say about it. Go ahead.”

Ryan then answered 20 questions from reporters, and that was his theme throughout: The Jets got their butts kicked.

“You know, it’s the biggest butt whipping I’ve taken as a coach, in my career,” Ryan said. “I mean, clearly, we got our butts kicked.”

Ryan acknowledged that Patriots coach Bill Belichick had prepared his team much better than Ryan had prepared his.

“They kicked our butts, they out-executed us and, like I said, they out-coached us,” Ryan said. “I came in to kick his butt and he kicked mine.”

Asked whether he thought Belichick was rubbing it in by leaving Tom Brady in the game with a 45-3 lead, Ryan said, “I mean, probably, I mean, I don’t think he was necessarily trying to rub it in, but this is the same team that took a bunch of shots on us and they had paybacks. I mean, let’s face it, we kicked their butt at our place. So you know, they are trying to come back. So, trust me, we will remember this.”

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
53 Responses to “Rex Ryan: Obviously, we got our butts kicked”
  1. steelcurtain9 says: Dec 7, 2010 6:25 AM

Rex Ryan was poking the near all week long with his comments and bravado. Well the bear woke up and mauled the Jets.

2. faulkana says: Dec 7, 2010 6:28 AM

45-3!!
    I have to admit. I watched this entire game with a stiff-arm.

3. macbull says: Dec 7, 2010 6:28 AM

As a coach, Rex Ryan got exposed for what he really is…a young NFL coach with a big mouth.

As a QB, Sanchez got exposed for what he is, a young QB learning the game and what he is not, a Super Bowl caliber QB.

The Jets team were exposed for what they are…a very lucky team, winning games by the skin of the teeth against weaker teams.

It was but one game in the NFL though…

4. bartpkelly says: Dec 7, 2010 6:31 AM

Is the quote “When you lose say little, when you win say less” or “When you win say little, when you lose say less”?

I like “When you lose say little, when you win say less”.

5. pastabelly says: Dec 7, 2010 6:46 AM

Don’t say that you are out to kick the other team’s ass and then get upset when they put up 45 on you. Well Rexy, now you have your bulletin board material.

6. joetoronto says: Dec 7, 2010 6:51 AM

I’m not hatin, just saying…

Why do the Pats continue to leave Brady in games where they’re winning big?

I don’t get it, one of these days they’re gonna pay the price.

7. mistrezzrachael says: Dec 7, 2010 7:19 AM

Rex , last night, fell victim to playing his Super Bowl…in the regular season.

jets love to celebrate first downs, ..just like they won Super Bowl. NE , doesn’t even celebrate touchdowns.

Was obvious from the start to finish…jets are out of their league…nothing more than a decent Tampa team who squeaks by the bad and average teams…but cannot beat a team w/a winning record.

Now jet fans …on the other hand…where are you loudmouths?

8. dolphindad says: Dec 7, 2010 7:25 AM

the best part is how happy the Jets and their fans were yesterday. all excited they were going to go into new england and de-throne the champs adn become the best team in football. how they were going to show the world who has the best defense and an emerging star at QB. they were going to secure the AFC Eest and take a big step toward securing home field on thier way to the Super Bowl.

BAM! Wake up MOFOs. It over. Time to start thinking about draft picks.

9. all4patriots says: Dec 7, 2010 7:42 AM

The Patriots had three punts and settled for one FG. Damn… it coulda been 70-3. They really need to fix that.

10. tantrim says: Dec 7, 2010 7:44 AM

Believing the hype that Rex puts out appearing angry and trying to steal the throne of the best team that ever played the game was put in his place last night. His team played like he coaches but ran into the best and was put away like road kill.

11. slutnuts says: Dec 7, 2010 7:55 AM

mistrezzrachael says:
    Dec 7, 2010 7:19 AM

___________________________________

could not agree with you more. i cannot stand the first down celebrations, and the jets seem to do it every time. how about LT chest pumping because he ran for 15 yards once last night.

i guess when your team cant score on a regular basis against good teams, you need to celebrate the little things.

12. bravin4evr says: Dec 7, 2010 8:07 AM

Where are all of those loudmouth JETS fans now? Hey Rex we can’t hear you, fat a$$

13. florio4prez says: Dec 7, 2010 8:14 AM

joetoronto says:
    Dec 7, 2010 6:51 AM
    I’m not hatin, just saying…

Why do the Pats continue to leave Brady in games where they’re winning big?

I don’t get it, one of these days they’re gonna pay the price.
    ———————————————
    Someday, it will.

14. hnirobert3 says: Dec 7, 2010 8:30 AM

Now lets go and get a God damned snack!

15. citizenstrange says: Dec 7, 2010 8:30 AM

Rex Ryan is a coach.
    Mark Sanchez is an quarterback.
    The Jets are a team.

16. teefour says: Dec 7, 2010 8:32 AM

joetoronto says:
    Dec 7, 2010 6:51 AM
    I’m not hatin, just saying…

Why do the Pats continue to leave Brady in games where they’re winning big?

I don’t get it, one of these days they’re gonna pay the price.
    ————————————————————–
    This is the NFL, not Pop Warner. These guys get paid to play. They work hard hard all week (or in this case, 10+ days) to go out and play good football. Why shouldn’t they stay in and reap the rewards of their hard work? Running up the score only exists in youth sports. Once you hit the college and professional ranks, to me, it no longer exists. You don’t want to lose 45-3? Play harder. Make a few stops. Stop them on 4th down in the 4th quarter.

17. brstevens says: Dec 7, 2010 8:32 AM

Maybe Rex Ryan should get his team to a Super Bowl before he calls the Jets a Super Bowl team like he did in the week leading up to this game…

18. kennyfukinpowers says: Dec 7, 2010 8:33 AM

Fat boy Ryan is just like his daddy….the only thing bigger than their bellys is their mouth. Neither has won a Superbowl as a head coach. Jet fans…..i cannot believe you bought into all the hype.

19. citizenstrange says: Dec 7, 2010 8:35 AM

Rex Ryan is a “good” coach.
    Mark Sanchez is an “adequate” quarterback.
    The Jets are a “playoff” team.

all “sarcasm” quotes

20. pastabelly says: Dec 7, 2010 8:38 AM

Of course the Patriots celebrate touchdowns and Brady is a trash talker on the field. Nothing wrong with that.

21. Chris Maza says: Dec 7, 2010 8:46 AM

The New York Jets laid a complete egg on both sides of the ball and the New England Patriots publicly humiliated them in a fashion not unlike that kid who used to give you swirlies before stealing your lunch money. http://wp.me/p15q0r-3D

22. semperfi24 says: Dec 7, 2010 8:48 AM

You people and your “run up the score” comments are ridiculous. Give me a break. The Pats had a big lead, against their most hated opponent. And not only was it the Jets, but it was the Jets that talk and talk and talk and talk. I didnt see Brady throw the ball more than 7 yards down field at the end of the game. They were simply trying to run out the clock, and put a stamp on a thorough azz beating. If the roles were reversed, and Sanchez was still in the game, no one would be saying anything about leaving the starting QB in the game. I agree the Pats went overboard more often than not in ’07, but seriously, look at the players on that team. Most of their “weapons” were undrafted, this isnt the prolific o7 offense, whining about running up the score with this group is asinine…..

If the Jets dont want NE to score more points, they should put together a time consuming drive, and keep the ball out of Brady’s hand. I didnt see the Jets taking their defensive starters out of the game, so why should the Pats remove theirs? As long as NY is trying, then it is fair for NE to continue to play their game

There is always something to cry about. If NE won by 7, everyone would be talking about how the poor officiating cost the Jets. Ok, well when you lose by 42, officiating couldnt have been the problem. Moving on, since they won by 42, they were obviously running up the score, sniffle…..

Its like the bully from A Christmas Story, all big and bad until someone punched him in the mouth. Maybe now Rexy the Hut will STFU for 10 minutes

23. jvw1982 says: Dec 7, 2010 8:51 AM

Crown Him…….Crown Belicheat right now as the best coach ever with the best QB ever……..the Pats will be a tough out for anyone right now and forget about beating them in Foxboro……With all his talk, Belicheat sent a message to fat boy, “you aint in my league son” Now maybe fat boy will show some respect and kiss his hand before the next time they play…..

24. nyjalleffingday says: Dec 7, 2010 8:55 AM

I expected to lose, but oh my lord that was brutal. The Jets just gave up by the end of the first quarter. Total failure from the top down. Still 4 games of football left, let’s see what happens

25. boysroll says: Dec 7, 2010 8:59 AM

jets suck…..lets face it they got lucky with a number of games this yr and should be 500 at best. Sanchez blows and to put an embarassing performace like this on Monday Night football is just a joke.

The season is over jetty fans.

26. charly0418 says: Dec 7, 2010 9:03 AM

I think every fan in the NFL wanted to see the Patriots scoring even more in the 4th Quarter. I’m not a Patriots fan and still I was so happy when Bellichick went for it on 4th down. Down go the JETS

27. bbb82 says: Dec 7, 2010 9:09 AM

Just my opinion, but I’d say the loss fall on the poor coaching job Ryan did this week and during the game. Challenge a 4th down, lose, then go for it? Great job…

28. simplesimon1 says: Dec 7, 2010 9:09 AM

joetoronto says:
    Dec 7, 2010 6:51 AM
    I’m not hatin, just saying…

Why do the Pats continue to leave Brady in games where they’re winning big?

I don’t get it, one of these days they’re gonna pay the price
    —————————————————————————–

First, I don’t see anybody cry when Favre has spent 20 years on stacked teams doing this exact thing. Most of his good stats have come in games already long over.

Second, stop them if you don’t like it. The Jets talk non-stop. The fans even join blogs where their team has nothing to do with either team just to get shots in. I wish the Pats would have scored 100 last night.

29. pukey60 says: Dec 7, 2010 9:12 AM

The turning point of the game is when Tomlinson got up after a 15 yard gain and pumped his fist at the crowd. BB hates that. I think right then and there the Patriots defense decided thats enough of that crap.

So Brady got the message and lasered the living crap out of the “No 1″ defense.

Had to laugh when I read that Ryan said he will “remember” the loss. Thats a laugher. I would bet if they teed up again on Sunday, the results would be the same. I think he’ll remember it for another reason. It was the worst loss of his career. Period.

Somewhere Josh McDaniels still wishes he never left NE. One things for sure though – he won’t be back.

Ouch.

30. simplesimon1 says: Dec 7, 2010 9:13 AM

I remember on Thanksgiving when my Lions lost to the Patriots. Yep, I remember fat Rex coming out and saying that the Lions would, and I quote, probably give up three first round draft picks for one of their corners.

Well, at least the Lions were competitive against the Pats for 3 quarters, hey Rex. And your so-called great defense gave up how many points again? Was it 45, the same as the Lions gave up.

As a Lions fan you have to appreciate the little victories, even when their given to you by another team. At least for this year…..LOL….. Next year, we’ll be better in record too, not just play.

I guess the Pats are definitely the team to beat after all, despite the haters.

31. touchdownroddywhite says: Dec 7, 2010 9:16 AM

I personally have absolutely no problem watching teams destroy other teams, especially when it’s such a tough rivalry like this. Now if the Pats put up 70 on the Bills knowing they barely qualify as an NFL team to begin with, then I might shake my head. However when a man says all week he isn’t the better coach, but has the better team. That he’s got a SB caliber team because of his QB, and that he’s going to show somebody who the best team in the league is – You better put up, or shut up.

I can’t believe how embarrassed they all must be right now. A big loss is one thing, but to be that thoroughly defeated after talking trash for over a week is BAD.

Ps. It could’ve looked WAY worse. Brady was only a couple yards per attempt away from having his second perfect QB rating in a row. I’m pretty sure he met all the other requirements. Great game Pats. Back to the drawing board, Rexy-boy.

32. j0esixpack says: Dec 7, 2010 9:17 AM

… an interesting side note to the game, Ryan’s is the biggest butt Belichick has ever whipped.

33. tothefellowshipofthemiserable says: Dec 7, 2010 9:20 AM

Rex “snake oil salesman” just ran out of snake oil. What a fraud !

34. bowdowntoatruepimp says: Dec 7, 2010 9:45 AM

Not a single jets fan to face the aftermath. They were here before the game running their mouth. Typical Jersey Shore wannabees. Not even man enough to face the music.

35. richm2256 says: Dec 7, 2010 9:48 AM

Kudos to nyjalleffingday for his post.

Now where are the rest of you Jets fans today?????

36. viper21 says: Dec 7, 2010 10:13 AM

Watched the entire game…. A dominating performance by the Patriots. They certainly looked like the best or at minimum one of the best in the league this year. They appear to be getting hot at the right time.

As far as Rex Ryan… I like the guy. He brings a colorfull personality to the league. I think he is a decent coach, & deserves some credit. He earned some respect from me last night with his humble attitude after recieving a double serving of crow last night.

37. PFTiswhatitis says: Dec 7, 2010 10:17 AM

Hello? Dean Wormer? Hello?
    Yup, absent as expected.

38. andyreidsappetite says: Dec 7, 2010 10:25 AM

Jets and Ryan are pretenders. The Jets D doesn’t have a true pass rusher so you don’t have to double team anyone. Sanchez is typical NY hype. Also, I’m not a Pats fan either and actually don’t hate the Jets but am simply calling them for what they are. A good team but a pretender.

39. stanklepoot says: Dec 7, 2010 11:13 AM

#
    joetoronto says: Dec 7, 2010 6:51 AM

I’m not hatin, just saying…

Why do the Pats continue to leave Brady in games where they’re winning big?

I don’t get it, one of these days they’re gonna pay the price.
    ___________________________
    Maybe, but that’s the way they play. Belichick preaches playing the full 60 minutes week in and week out. Maybe he figures if he shows he means it during a blowout that his players will continue to perform in the tight games. Besides, towards the end of the game they were mostly running it anyway.

40. RexCanCoach says: Dec 7, 2010 11:17 AM

A complete beat down. Pats and their fans riding high today. Shut up the Jets and fans myself included for the rest of the year.

Sunday’s game vs. Fish can’t get here quick enough.

I hope Rex eats a nice serving of humble pie along with whatever other pie he eats, and just focuses on the team not the microphone.

41. dienavinjohnson says: Dec 7, 2010 11:36 AM

The best thing about being at this game last night was the big mouth J-E-T-S fans sitting there with their B-I-G mouths shut. They are the most vocal, in your face fans that we see at Gillette (except for the once every blue moon freak show when the Raiders come to town.)

This is what you have Jets fans: a big mouth coach whose team, after their “best week of practice all year”, finally played a good team and got it handed to them; a career loser (LT) who seems to be up to his old San Diego tricks again (celebrating a 1st down run like it was the game winning touchdown 7 minutes into the 1st quarter!); and a quarterback who said in postgame remarks that a triple covered receiver (Braylon Edwards) was coming open in the endzone before he underthrew the ball to a 4th defender (Brandon Spikes) to kill what had been a solid drive that would have made the game 24-10 with a half remaining.

Here’s where it gets really bad. The Patriots could have 3 of the top 33 picks at the draft if Carolina keeps losing. Talk about the rich getting richer.

42. packerrube13 says: Dec 7, 2010 11:37 AM

Rex, after last night’s debacle, I’m pretty sure the Lions wouldn’t give up 3 7th round picks for your corners….

43. rushmatic says: Dec 7, 2010 11:58 AM

joetoronto says:
    I’m not hatin, just saying…

Why do the Pats continue to leave Brady in games where they’re winning big?

I don’t get it, one of these days they’re gonna pay the price
    _______________________

He already said it, dumbdumb: “I’m NOT coming out of this game.” He hates the Jets worse than any other team.

Also, the surgeon doesn’t typically get hurt while operating. That’s what it looked like last night, anyway.

44. nflhof says: Dec 7, 2010 12:16 PM

Tomilnson got his stats didnt he? or maybe not?

45. brintfatre says: Dec 7, 2010 12:36 PM

Sore loser!

His mouth has been writing checks his ass can’t cash!!!

46. habsman says: Dec 7, 2010 12:39 PM

…….turn out the lights, the party is over…..

42 years and still counting!

47. habsman says: Dec 7, 2010 12:40 PM

Thanks for the memories Don Meridith.

48. greekgodfather says: Dec 7, 2010 12:44 PM

This just in…the Pats scored again!
    They could have put up an extra 21 points on the loudmouths but held back. That’s not running up the score.

49. Robert says: Dec 7, 2010 1:12 PM

New England Pats SB Champs 2011…..

Bye Bye Los Angeles Jets…….

50. descendency says: Dec 7, 2010 1:19 PM

The “best team in the NFL” just got the biggest beatdown of the season.

51. prior0knowledge says: Dec 7, 2010 1:28 PM

There is no “running up the score” in pro football. The fans pay to see the best players playing their best for the whole game. They don’t come to watch backups and kneel downs. They enjoy watching hard play. Give the fans what they paid for: An entire game, start to finish with both teams trying their best. The fact that the score was one sided was irrelevant.

52. obsession55 says: Dec 7, 2010 1:37 PM

Cromartie was right, the Jets are the Miami Heat of the NFL…which means they only beat garbage teams and get pummelled by good ones!!

And dont you dare cry about running the score up. When you talk that much trash you deserve to get blown out. If you dont like it, then STOP THEM!! (and I hate the Pats too, but they did what they were supposed to do last night. Nice win, gotta tip my hat)

53. grpatriot says: Dec 7, 2010 8:37 PM

What’s the old saying,” you got to bring an ass to kick an ass?” I guess the only question is, can Rex still motivate his team with the same rheteric… ? Can they accept the fact they just got smoked? Will they still compete or pack it in?

We’ll see? Still got the Steeler’s and Bears.