Browns punter Reggie Hodges named player of the week

Reggie Hodges

The Browns would prefer not to punt nine times in a game, but they did on Sunday, and punter Reggie Hodges responded with an effort that has earned him the AFC special teams player of the week award.

Hodges averaged 48.7 yards on those nine punts, with a net average of 43.3 yards. He landed two of his punts inside the 20-yard line, including one that was downed at the 1-yard line. Hodges leads the league with 13 punts inside the 10 this year.

The player of the week award is the first of Hodges’ career.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
16 Responses to “Browns punter Reggie Hodges named player of the week”
  1. erikinhell says: Dec 8, 2010 10:58 AM

Hodges has made me not regret getting rid of Zastudil. He’s become very good at what he does, after a slightly slow start.

2. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Dec 8, 2010 10:59 AM

Dude’s been outstanding all year. So much so that he prompted the Browns to punt Zastudil from the IR. I mean, how many other guys in the league are averaging 68 yards per carry?

3. richm2256 says: Dec 8, 2010 11:20 AM

A punter…….. seriously, a PUNTER??????

I dont care how good a punter is, he’s never the “Special Teams Player of the Week”.

A Punter??????

4. mataug says: Dec 8, 2010 11:33 AM

richm2256, you clearly forget the Colts-Chargers playoff game 2 seasons ago… the Chargers punter seriously screwed the starting position for the Colts offense

5. 800mileroadtripnostopsnotevenforgas says: Dec 8, 2010 11:35 AM

Hey, richm2256: Your arrogance offends me.

Why shouldn’t a punter be Special Teams Player of the Week? They determine field position, which has a huge influence on the game, especially one devoid of much offense.

You might be right. Maybe Hodges shouldn’t have been Special Teams Player of the Week…He should have been the straight up, overall Player of the Week. That’s right. Punting is that important. If I ran a team, I’d carry three punters and one QB. And, additionally, an emergency punter. I’d punt on third down. I’d punt when my offense was inside the 20. You see, football isn’t a game of touchdowns and runs, passes and catches: it’s punting.

When football was first invented, the entire game consisted of two teams punting back and forth to one another. In my opinion, the invention of the first-down destroyed the game.

So richm2256, think again before you bash a punter. Who should it have gone to? Nobody took a return to the house last week, and nobody knows any of the long-snappers’ names.

It was personal to me.

6. erikinhell says: Dec 8, 2010 11:42 AM

A punter. 13 punts inside the 10 for the season is one hell of a stat. This guy regularly saves the Browns every Sunday.

7. elroyjetsson says: Dec 8, 2010 11:49 AM

richm2256 says:
    Dec 8, 2010 11:20 AM
    A punter…….. seriously, a PUNTER??????

A Punter??????

You’re kidding right Rich? Helen Keller could see why

8. daffy87 says: Dec 8, 2010 12:07 PM

How can you be upset with a punter winning special teams player of the week? Field position is always crucial, especially in a game like this one that was low scoring. A year or two ago the Chargers punter Scrifes or however you spell it kept the Colts pinned back with awful field position all game and it was a gigantic factor in that game.

9. ljl2 says: Dec 8, 2010 12:09 PM

why is it ridiculous that the guy who can make the most impact during special teams throughout the course of an entire game can’t win the award?

madden culture that doesn’t understand the nuances and importance of punting.

10. cubano76 says: Dec 8, 2010 12:29 PM

I want to know WTH is happening in that picture above? A Punter chasing a ball that is not on a tee, BUT he looks like he’s getting ready to kick it. Either a VERY cool play, or one that went horribly wrong.

11. screevo says: Dec 8, 2010 1:15 PM

#
    cubano76 says: Dec 8, 2010 12:29 PM

That would be this play in last year’s KC/CLE game:
    4-2-CLE 20 (2:49) 2-R.Hodges Aborted. 64-R.Pontbriand FUMBLES at CLV -1, RECOVERED by KC-96-A.Studebaker at CLV -1. TOUCHDOWN. Penalty on CLV, Illegal Motion, declined. Snap deflected off the leg of N.Sorensen who lined up in the backfield..

12. audient says: Dec 8, 2010 2:13 PM

The road uniform brown pants gave away that the pic was from last year. Not sad to see those pants gone this year.

But yes, Hodges is doing well. You don’t want to have to punt, but if you gotta punt, you want to pin them deep, and Hodges does that. Pro Bowl punter, anyone?

13. zone44blitz says: Dec 8, 2010 2:23 PM

Shouldn’t this award go to Shaun Suisham? He kicked field goals, kicked off and did relief punting duties after Daniel Sepulveda tore his ACL

14. richm2256 says: Dec 8, 2010 9:55 PM

To all you morons who didn’t care for my post, I stand by my point.

I don’t care how good your punter is, if you’re counting on your punter that much, you’ve got bigger problems, Chuckie. Seriously, if you’re hanging your hopes on a punter nailing five punts, you’re missing the point. Everytime a punter punts, your offense has failed. Five great punts means your offense just failed on five drives, and with an offense that needs five great punts to save their a$$es after five failed drives, you ain’t going far in the playoffs, my friend.

Ever see a punter win a game? Can they score even a single point? The best they can do is put the opposition in poor field position. And no matter how great a punter is, it’s still up to your defense to stop their offense. Get an offense with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning (the OLD Peyton Manning) leading them, and there isn’t a punt deep enough to save your bacon.

If you’re going to give POW to a kicker, at least make it a placekicker who drilled a game-winning fifty yarder, for god’s sakes. Better yet, give it to a guy who had a couple of great returns, or a blocker who drilled someone and sprung a great returner.

But a PUNTER????

And for the guy who “took it personal”, you must be a punter yourself, dude. If so, get over yourself; I’m right, and you – of all people – know it best. God, you sounded like you were going to cry!

15. richm2256 says: Dec 8, 2010 10:08 PM

800mileroadtripnostopsnotevenforgas says:
    ————————————————

I DARE YOU to say that to Bill Belichick face-to-face. He’ll laugh right in your face.

Punters are more important to you than a quarterback? Who are you, Ray Guy???? Punt inside the twenty??? How many points would THAT get you? Can’t your placekicker at least hit a thirty yard field goal and get you THREE points?

This is the single dumbest thing ever said on a board chock full of idiots. You have got to be the single biggest moron this board has ever seen.

With a quarterback that’s worth a damn, you barely even NEED a punter, jackass. Punters exist because offenses fail. Plain and simple. Good offenses need a punter less, and a team with a damn good defense doesn’t neeed a good punter either, they’ll stop the offense no matter WHERE they start from.

16. oldcracker says: Dec 11, 2010 8:05 PM

Richman, you’re a complete idiot. No one questions a good QB over a good P but, you’re too simple to understand the importance of punting in keeping the board tilted in your favor. Like someone above mentioned, look at that SD vs Ind game and see what a good punter did to Manning. Better yet, go back to your Madden ’99. Simpleton!