Favre investigation in hands of Commish

Brett Favre

Well, the NFL finally has returned the calls of the Jenn Sterger camp.

Lawyer Joseph Conway tells Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Daily that the investigation regarding the conduct of Brett Favre has been completed and referred to the office of Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Conway told Mullen that he would be “extremely disappointed” if the Commissioner decides not to discipline Favre.

“If anyone portrays this as a one-time incident, that would be completely incorrect,” Conway said.  “This is a pattern of behavior on his part that took place over a very long period of time.  There were repeated attempts to contact my client.”

The real question is whether his client ever did anything to encourage the communications, to participate in them, and/or to indicate that the conduct was welcome.  The absence of any apparent complaint at any time before hiring Conway, who made no secret of his intention to pursue “remedies” (i.e., get money from) any responsible parties, undermines the notion that she found his behavior to be offensive and unwelcome.

“We were extremely cooperative with the NFL,” Conway said.  “We provided them with the names of others they could contact.  I believe, based on what we turned over to them, that there is sufficient evidence to find he was in violation of the Personal Conduct Policy.”

Of course Conway believes that Favre violated the Personal Conduct Policy, because he’s paid (or hoping to get paid) to represent Sterger’s best interests, and Conway believes it’s in her best interests for the league to find that the Personal Conduct Policy was violated.  For these purposes, Conway is Sterger, and there now should be no doubt that, even though she apparently didn’t complain for more than two years, she’s complaining now.  Though it’s unclear whether she’s angling for another job in the media or enough cash from Favre and/or the Jets so that she won’t need one, Sterger’s camp has decided to pull out all the stops when it comes to pursuing “justice” from the NFL, which means that Sterger has decided to pull out all the stops when it comes to pursuing “justice” from the NFL.

And so now we wait.  Or, more accurately, we keep waiting.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Favre investigation in hands of Commish”
  1. purpleguy says: Dec 8, 2010 3:02 PM

I wonder if the commish will text his decision? One thing I’d like to know for sure is whether the statute of limitations has passed on this alleged employment claim (I thought it was 2 years)? If so, then all Sterger’s crew can do is whine about the result, and that Lord Favre didn’t offer the hush money they kept angling for.

2. packerjer says: Dec 8, 2010 3:04 PM

It should take the commish…ohhhh..about 4 weeks to go over all the evidence.

3. Paul says: Dec 8, 2010 3:05 PM

Michael Chiklis is conducting the investigation?!

4. jsratx says: Dec 8, 2010 3:06 PM

“The real question is whether his client ever did anything to encourage the communications, to participate in them, and/or to indicate that the conduct was welcome.

Speaking for every red blooded male on earth, the answer is YES.

5. jimmy1smith says: Dec 8, 2010 3:14 PM

I am only interested in Goodell’s response as it applies to fairness. He suspended Vick and Rapesagirl for differing sets of circumstances but there should be no doubt that BrINT was sending pixs of Little Lorenzo to a Jet’s employee.

Don’t tell me that she should have complained about it two years ago or she was a receptive reciepent of the lewd photos. The plain fact of the matter is that if you or I were to engage in this exact same behavior at work, we would be fired immediately with cause.

Now I understand that Favre has been a ratings gold mine for the NFL and the Vikings have so many other criminal elements on their team that Favre can barely get noticed but Goodell still has to be consistent if he hopes to maintain some level of leadership. I say suspend him the remainder of the season. They would be doing the Vikings a favor by reducing their INT’s, giving the rest of us a chance to see that jump passing fool, T Jack Off, and improve their position in the draft. Not low enough to get Andrew Luck but lets face it, the Vikings couldn’t recognize an NFL QB if it fell in their lap.

6. brintfatre says: Dec 8, 2010 3:15 PM

Basically it’s over. Favre won’t let Goodell do anything to punish him the same way he wouldn’t let Chilly bench him…

7. medialovesthecowboys says: Dec 8, 2010 3:16 PM

Um Mike…is there a reason why you can’t post Jen Sterger photos when doing Jen Sterger articles?? You do your fair share of NON-PRO football related stories. No one is going to complain about this though, trust me.

8. hobartbaker says: Dec 8, 2010 3:23 PM

Upon receiving the document, Roger’s cold, steely eyes narrowed, his thin humorless lips compressed, his wizened, reddish face grew grim. He turned up the dim lamp upon his desk for better light. Sighing heavily he arose to put a small bit of coal upon the fire. Not a large piece, since he did not want to be wasteful and profligate in these times. Then he adjusted the bent and grimy spectacles upon his sharp nose and pulled the threadbare robe closer around his sunken chest.

“What shall we do, Marley, what shall we do?”.

9. footballisking says: Dec 8, 2010 3:24 PM

Goodell is incoonsistent and erratic he is in over his head and worse than an dog chasing its own tail….. I Can’t wait to see what Goodells magic 8 ball tells him to do

10. gunnyd says: Dec 8, 2010 3:25 PM

I don’t know who is worse……Sterger or her shyster lawyer??? “Gee Mr. Commissioner, I was violated 2 years ago and I now realize just how this has impacted my life (a.k.a. earning potential).

She needs to just go away! I’m tired of these hard bodies who show what they have for a price, and then become all offended when someone comes on to them. Give me a break!!!

11. elgaffo says: Dec 8, 2010 3:30 PM

funny how NOW she wants a swift and clear decision, where as BEFORE she was giving camp Favre all the time in the world, with not so subtle hints about finding resolution.
    She knows that if nothing happens before he retires she wont get anything. You cant have your cake and eat it too Jen. Playing both sides like some mobsters wife (no I dont know any mobsters wives to back this)

12. p4ever says: Dec 8, 2010 3:35 PM

- There will be no decision until after Favre retires at the end of the regular season;
    – Florio, are you the NFL new legal counsel ?
    – When it comes to ethics and morality the NFL is a joke. They preach one thing to the players but violate those same codes a second later.

13. majikbullet says: Dec 8, 2010 3:38 PM

#
    jsratx says: Dec 8, 2010 3:06 PM

Speaking for every red blooded male on earth, the answer is YES.
    =======================
    LOL……first off you are an idiot…..second how can anyone actually know the answer, it is all speculation and hopefully we will find out the truth from Goodell shortly.

14. didiwags says: Dec 8, 2010 3:40 PM

You see pathetic women like this all the time. They either make-up stuff to try and frame a famous person or they ignore it and then decide “hey I can make money off of this” and come out!! Either way she should not get one penny whether Favre did this or not!!

15. romosrevenge says: Dec 8, 2010 3:46 PM

Very funny stuff today. Kudos to Packerjer, Medialovescowboys, and purpleguy. In that order. I love funny.

16. 4sacroc says: Dec 8, 2010 3:56 PM

Brett Favre is a saint.

He walks on water. Well, it’s frozen water. Ice, actually. It’s Minneapolis, after all.

I digress.

Leave Brettny Alone!!! ;-)

17. elmobad says: Dec 8, 2010 3:59 PM

6 week suspension.. Keep it fair Goodell

oh wait.. Favre’s married..

8 week suspension..

18. hobartbaker says: Dec 8, 2010 4:00 PM

…For these purposes, Conway is Sterger.

..and Pee Wee Reese is Phil Rizzuto.

19. bigperm33 says: Dec 8, 2010 4:01 PM

This is typical nonsense from Goodell. Why can’t he just make a decision? I really couldn’t care less what he decides, but make a decision. His inability to do anything quickly does nothing but keep negative stories about the NFL in the press.

I used to be a big baseball fan but then I watched the sport slowly ruin itself mostly because it was being run by an incompetent commissioner who only cared about making money, and not at all about protecting the competition of the sport. I am starting to become more and more worried that the NFL is headed down this same path.

20. jjackwagon says: Dec 8, 2010 4:07 PM

Little Brett was sent to Jenn but if big Brett retires (for good) before Goodell makes a decision…does anyone care?

No. In fact most don’t care now.

If a money grubbin’ wench cries foul over unsolicited (alledgedly)pictures of little Brett…

Why are we still wasting space with this?

21. zappa69 says: Dec 8, 2010 4:16 PM

@jimmysmith,

Nice write up trying to get Vikes fans to bite.
    While there are teams and fans of certain teams I don’t like I don’t understand your hatred for this one non super bowl winning team. I thought the worst fans were in Pittsburgh myself but I have learned over the years all the teams have “worst fans”. Why the obsession? Can’t think of any team the Vikes have “owned” that would make anyone as mad as you seem to be. Maybe it’s an act but I’m starting to wonder how someone can have the free time you have and use it for hating. Get outside and do something you love and relax, it’s just football.

22. 6isgr8lamehaters says: Dec 8, 2010 4:17 PM

@majikbullet

————————————————

Why does the comment from jsratx provide you with the opportunity to label him an idiot?

Why oh why did poor Jen Sterger not file a grievance 2 years ago? Oh that’s right, she just wanted the attention from FaINT. Now she is entering the prime income generating years and guess what, she’s looking for a pay day.

jsratx is allowed to have an opinion. Your reply to his post actually provides good reason for the rest of the world to label you an “IDIOT”.

23. melikefootball says: Dec 8, 2010 4:20 PM

God-del will NOT do one thing to be the one to stand in way od Favre and his game record. Even has the comish has said that one does not have to be charged or convicted that conduct would be addressed.. So far has taken two months to be addreesed..that is right they were making this a fast investigation and response.

24. bradshawlives says: Dec 8, 2010 4:24 PM

Favre’s a punchline.

25. madmike66 says: Dec 8, 2010 4:29 PM

What I don’t get is why her dumb lawyer cares what the NFL does to Favre. The NFL’s ruling can only be punitive on Favre…it can’t award her any money. And what the NFL decides to do won’t be materially relevant if she tries to sue Favre or the Jets, not with the mountian of evidence to the contrary that suggests she had to problem with the so-called harrassment for 2 years, until a friend of hers leaked the photos. And the NFL disciplining Favre won’t lend her any credibility when she tries to find another media job…those minds are already made up. In hoping for punishment, all her camp comes across is vindictive, because it doesn’t do anything whatsoever for her in the “remedy” sense.

26. barneyrumble says: Dec 8, 2010 4:35 PM

I liked Paul’s joke. Some funny stuff on here and the whole situation is funny. I agree on the pictures of Jenn as opposed to Brett when the article is about her.

27. importantpftcomment says: Dec 8, 2010 4:49 PM

@madmike66

My guess is that if the NFL does anything to Favre, her atty will make an attempt to use that in a potential court case against him.

I can see it now……”Your honor, the big bad NFL saw fit to suspend the defendant for his behavior, it is time for the law to take her side as well”…..

bunch of bullpucky if you ask me…..

28. andyreidsappetite says: Dec 8, 2010 4:58 PM

Will they finally get rid of this phony? The biggest fraud in the NFL in my lifetime. Always good for a ill timed pick and gives those drama filled news conferences. Go away my man.

29. rgledz says: Dec 8, 2010 5:03 PM

@zappa69….

I couldn’t agree with you more!! jimmy1smith needs to save himself from jimmy1smith!!

30. stellarperformance says: Dec 8, 2010 5:04 PM

I don’t care if Favre gets disciplined, suspended, fined, or shot. I don’t care if he pays off Sterger and her attorneys or if he has a sobfest on Opra. I just want his real persona to become a matter of public record. He’s a self-centered self-serving ego-maniac and he can’t fall or fail far enough or fast enough to suit me. The fact that (many) Viking fans have to eat his crap sandwiches at the same time is only frosting on the cake.

31. Florio's Lawyer says: Dec 8, 2010 5:09 PM

Nice “mid-grope” photo of Favre.

32. zaggs says: Dec 8, 2010 5:09 PM

“For these purposes, Conway is Sterger, and there now should be no doubt that, even though she apparently didn’t complain for more than two years, she’s complaining now.”

Lets forget the FACT that the complaining now part and not then isn’t true (witnesses say otherwise). But going after Favre now surely wouldn’t be because of all the Favre apologists like you Floor-Boy who have denounced her as whore (ever since Deadspin launched their article without her permission) with no proof what-so-ever other then dragging lord Favre down.

33. Florio's Lawyer says: Dec 8, 2010 5:11 PM

#jsratx says: Dec 8, 2010 3:06 PM

Speaking for every red blooded male on earth, the answer is YES.

———–

Bet you didn’t say that about Roethlisberger…
    ..even though that’s exactly what happened there.

34. canadianvikingfaniii says: Dec 8, 2010 5:35 PM

I wonder what the conversations are like between Brett and Deana before bedtime.

“Ugh, since I didn’t get any with her so therefor I did not cheat, can I get some with you?”

35. sdpurpleheart says: Dec 8, 2010 5:38 PM

I heard Jen Sterger sent Brett pictures that conflict with her newly found harrassment claim.

36. theytukrjobs says: Dec 8, 2010 5:56 PM

I find it hilarious when people on these boards try to compare this with Vick and Roethlisburger as if Favre is getting special treatment. Vick did hard time for his crimes. He mutilated dogs and ran illegal gambling out of his home.

Rapistburger had a system by which his entourage assisted him in having sex with drunk chicks in clubs and deleting all the evidence of it. Like a system involving multiple sober guys orchestrating his own little sex service with young drunk starstruck women.

Favre hit on a chick and sent her some dic shots. Apparently this didn’t bother her. It only started to bother her after the pics she saved made way onto the internet a few days after she promised in an email chain to give them to Deadspin. But she didn’t give them up, wink wink. It only started to bother her after she didn’t get any hush money. Then she cooperated fully.

37. snarkygurl says: Dec 8, 2010 6:24 PM

@madmike66

I have to disagee with you. A ruling that Favre violated the Personal Conduct Policy could give Sterger leverage in any future lawsuits. How do you know that there’s a mountain of evidence to the contrary? Have you seen what Sterger’s camp has submitted to the NFL? Are you really Mike Perriera with the inside track? :-) Sorry, but I think they are (finally!) pushing for a rush decision because perhaps the statute of limitations is drawing to a close. But I’m not a lawyer like Florio & don’t know NY law either. *shrug* I could be all full of $hit on that theory.

38. leroysbutler says: Dec 8, 2010 6:46 PM

Come on Goodell, suspend him now. I need Favre’s last career pass to be a pick. $$$ on the line.

I didn’t say it was a good bet, but it was a drunk one.

39. jimmy1smith says: Dec 8, 2010 6:51 PM

zappa69 says: Why the obsession?

=================================
    That’s easy, I work with a bunch of die hard Viking fans. The fact that they are also gay is beside the point, they simply don’t know much about football but boy they love to pontificate about all things Vikings.

So what you mistakenly perceive as an obsession is really an outlet to poke the Viking fans about their collective ignorance about football. BrINT is probably Exhibit A, you should have seen their excitement when he elected to return for 2010. I kept telling them that it was a train wreck ready to happen but they were too busy making hotel reservations in Dallas for February.

Tell me how that’s working out?

40. richm2256 says: Dec 8, 2010 7:23 PM

Somebody explain to me how Goodell can issue a punishment to Josh McDaniels and the Denver Broncos on the very day that Spygate II broke out, but this Favre/Sterger thing has taken him months and months? Couldn’t a decision have been issued the very day they received the “evidence” from Sterger’s attorney?

Either it’s Brett’s pecker in that cell phone pic, or it’s not. All Goodell had to do was forward the photo to Deanna Favre, and he would have had his answer immediately.

41. madmike66 says: Dec 8, 2010 7:46 PM

@snarkygurl

Disagree all you want. If the Sterger camp had solid evidence of harrassment, they don’t need any sort of ruling from the NFL to support a legal court case. They clearly don’t because they haven’t filed one in 2 years, and they are stating publicly their intense desire for something from the league. The statute of limitations has nothing to do with anything…if it hasn’t expired they can file a claim in the courts now…they needn’t wait for the NFL ruling. And again, what does an NFL disciplinary ruling do for her? All it “proves” is that the NFL feels there is a conduct violation, but that is not the same as a violation of the law. At best a hard NFL discipline gives them a media talking point to try the case in the court of public opinion, but I highly doubt it will really add to a lawsuit aimed at getting money from Favre. And like I said already, if her camp feels she needs that extra mustard, she probably has an incredibly weak case and they know it. If she had strong evidence or a sound case, it would be filed by now and they wouldn’t be concerned with what Goodell does.

42. oakleyfreak says: Dec 8, 2010 7:52 PM

If they suspend him the rest of the season jimmy1smith you wouldn’t have any reason to get on here and spew your trash! We all know you have a crush on Favre. I’m sorry he jilted all the Fudge packer fans, but you’ll get over it, I promise. But speaking of fools, your the biggest one of all, you silly sally. P.S I hope the Vikings lose to the Bears and they win the division so the FUDGE packers finish 2nd, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

43. jimmy1smith says: Dec 8, 2010 9:38 PM

You couldn’t be more wrong, most Packer fans were happy to get rid of Favre. His ego and poor playoff performances were getting in the way of Rodgers moving into the starting position.

The mere fact that he managed to slide on over to ruin the Vikings is just icing on the cake. The recent stories about his small dong and sleazeball behavior is the cherry on top. We do have one regret, we were hoping Childress would be around a lot longer but you can’t have everything. Still, the Vikings are getting old on the O and D lines and it looks like they wouldn’t be relevant for a long time.

44. randomjim says: Dec 8, 2010 10:11 PM

jimmy1smith says:
    Dec 8, 2010 6:51 PM
    zappa69 says: Why the obsession?

=================================

Tell me how that’s working out?

===================================

You live in Mn. smitty?
    Don’t like it?
    GO BACK!!

45. majikbullet says: Dec 9, 2010 2:12 AM

jimmy1smith says:
    Dec 8, 2010 9:38 PM
    =================
    Agreed jimmy, as a Packer fan, and Wisconsin resident, I can say about 95% of Packer fans I know were happy, 99.9% are happy now. And 100% of NFL analysts have said that Ted without a doubt made the right move. Thanks Ted!!!