Set to go under the knife, Pennington unsure about retirement

Chad Pennington, Marc Mariani

With better luck, Chad Pennington would be preparing to start against his former team in New York this week.

Instead he’s preparing for his fourth shoulder surgery on Friday.  After that, he’s unsure of what he’ll do.  Pennington says he’s “50-50″ to retire and may not make his decision for a number of months.

“There’s no doubt I can come back,” Pennington said via the Associated Press.  “I’m going to have to weigh whether I would be a liability or an asset. That’s going to be the decision.”
Pennington recounted popping his shoulder back in after hurting it on his first play of the season against the Titans a month ago.   Pennington then completed a pass and the shoulder came out of its joint again.
“I had popped it back in, and then it just fell out and it was stuck,” Pennington said. “I looked at Ronnie and I said, ‘Hey Ronnie, pull on my shoulder. See if you can pop this thing back in.’ He’s like, ‘I’m not touching that shoulder.’”
Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Set to go under the knife, Pennington unsure about retirement”
  1. FinFan68 says: Dec 8, 2010 8:19 PM

When your injury description includes a thrice surgically repaired shoulder “just fell out and it was stuck” as a result of a throw (not a hit) I think it’s obvious to everyone whether or not he will play again. I love his attitude and leadership and I hope the Dolphins can give him a position on the coaching staff. There is no way he should be considered as even a back-up QB. He lasted 3 plays, did not get hit and was done for the year. Bad way to go out but that’s the breaks.

2. profootballwalk says: Dec 8, 2010 8:44 PM

“I looked at Ronnie and I said, ‘Hey Ronnie, pull on my shoulder.”

My dad used to say ‘Hey, pull my finger.’

3. smoothdaddyride says: Dec 8, 2010 8:50 PM

false FF68.

actually, it was the result of his arm hitting the back of Jake Long, on the previous play when he (Pennington) was being tackled. He then popped it back in, and it wouldn’t stay in after the next pass. so it WAS the result of a collission and not from simply throwing on 3 plays.

fact.

4. jmad34 says: Dec 8, 2010 8:56 PM

Pennington pre-surgery is STILL the best QB option they have LOL… sad

5. cjspiller12 says: Dec 8, 2010 9:05 PM

@FinFan68…….Bills fan here, of course I don’t like the Fins, but I have always respected Chad Pennington, he’s a class act. I believe he statistically is the most accurate QB in NFL history. He would make a great coach!! I wish him the best of luck!!

6. 1historian says: Dec 8, 2010 9:23 PM

I listened to the first game of the 2007 NFL season between the Jets and the pats on the radio. During the game Pennington was injured and I could hear new york fans CHEERING on the radio. Even the announcer for the game was disgusted and said so.

Another reason I don’t like the jets? no-class fans. I’m not saying that ALL of thenm are no-class, but enough are, and their being from new york is a factor and those yucky uniforms are a factor

One more thing – the throwback uniforms the packers wore Sunday are the PITS.
    Enough throwback Sundays.
    please

7. belicheckyoself says: Dec 8, 2010 9:37 PM

Big Brass Ones on this guy. Good luck!

8. goldsteel says: Dec 8, 2010 9:46 PM

I would hope the surgery could make his shoulder more resilient if he intends to play. I’m not sure Miami is a good place for him. Maybe Arizona could use a quarterback of his talents?

9. CT Pats Fan says: Dec 8, 2010 10:51 PM

Old School, man!

Pennington never got the respect he deserved.

10. gojets111111 says: Dec 8, 2010 10:55 PM

i love pennigton ..guy has guts..

I think its time he looked in to being a qb coach ..or a nfl network analyst..

no sense in keep getting surgeries
    health is more important

11. Deb says: Dec 8, 2010 11:00 PM

Hated to see Pennington suffer yet another injury. He’s a fine QB with a tremendous amount of heart–the kind of guy you want to succeed. Wish him all the best with the surgery and his future, whatever his decision.

12. dolfan34 says: Dec 8, 2010 11:07 PM

Pennington bent down to tie his shoe and his shoulder popped out. Enough already! How many times does this guy have to have surgery on this shoulder before he hangs them up. He’s got nothing left to prove.

He’d made a great quarterback coach or even an OC. Hang ‘em up and be proud of the efforts you gave!

13. footballisfun says: Dec 9, 2010 12:18 AM

Go easy, Chad.

14. joetoronto says: Dec 9, 2010 6:20 AM

All the best, Chad.

You play and conduct yourself like a true professional, unlike so many others.

15. justafanofitall says: Dec 9, 2010 8:04 AM

He’s the best choice for Miami at the moment…hope he comes back.

16. southbeachtalent says: Dec 9, 2010 10:22 AM

1historian says:
    Dec 8, 2010 9:23 PM

One more thing – the throwback uniforms the packers wore Sunday are the PITS.
    Enough throwback Sundays.
    please

————————————————

Yea Jets fans are about as obnoxious, rude, and delusional as it gets. Even though I dislike the Pats (I’m a dolfan) I thoroughly enjoyed the butt kickin they got on Monday. And the Pats demand respect. The Jets….. uhhh just annoying.

Pennington has been nothing but an asset to the Dolphin organization, a true leader. I do think he should retire before he is at a point were he cant even move his shoulder without it being dislocated. I had a buddy that we nicknamed “Dislo” because he would constantly dislocate his shoulder due to a car accident.

17. florioisatool says: Dec 9, 2010 10:33 AM

Parcells certainly has turned that franchise around – just like he did with the Jets and Cowboys. The guy is a genius. Having Pennington mentor Pat White is such a brilliant plan. White is going to be a franchise QB some day…

18. deweyaxewound says: Dec 9, 2010 11:15 AM

Pennington is “set to go under the knife”?

But I thought they already played the Ravens in week one?

19. andyprough says: Dec 10, 2010 12:02 AM

That’s just plain gross. Let me help you out here Chad – I’ll be happy to announce your retirement for you.