Another reason to not like LeBron James

LeBron James

I don’t follow basketball.  It’s fun to play, boring to watch.  Roughly 40 years ago, my father told me that watching anything more than the last four minutes of a basketball games was a waste of time.  (I eventually concluded that the last four minutes fell into that same category.)

Lately, however, I’ve taken up the hobby known in some parts as Heat-hating.

And while watching on DVR Thursday’s edition of The Dan Patrick Show, Dan pointed out this two-pack of tweets from LeBron’s Twitter page:  “Watching [SportsCenter] and Trent Dilfer is talking bad on how Peyton Manning is playing as of late!  In his wildest dream [Dilfer] could never do the things Peyton does on the field.  Good or bad!  People get on TV and think they can say whatever they want!  And it’s always former players!  Crazy!!”

First, we’d like to congratulate LeBron on temporarily leaving his cocoon of enablers and sycophants.  Second, we’d like to invite him to shut up.

Dilfer is now an analyst.  Whether Manning is a better player than Dilfer was is irrelevant to the analysis of Manning’s current struggles.

Then again, a guy who is constantly surrounded by enablers and sycophants likely can’t grasp the concept of criticism, constructive or otherwise.

Meanwhile, and as executive producer Paul Pabst of The Dan Patrick Show pointed out, Dilfer has won as many championships as Manning, and they’ve both won one more than LeBron.

Still, we sense that our friends in Northeast Ohio are conflicted by this specific situation.  On one hand, they hate LeBron.  On the other hand, they hate the team with which Dilfer won his ring — the Baltimore Ravens f/k/a the Cleveland Browns.

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
77 Responses to “Another reason to not like LeBron James”
  1. xtb3 says: Dec 9, 2010 2:31 PM

dilfer was a joke as a qb. he had the ability to shine manning’s shoes – that’s all.

2. PFTiswhatitis says: Dec 9, 2010 2:34 PM

Well sadi Florio!

3. kevo126 says: Dec 9, 2010 2:38 PM

yea labron, manning is playing great football right now….and you still love cleveland.

4. DonRSD says: Dec 9, 2010 2:44 PM

im not into watching basketball unless
    its my heat
    a good matchup

even if its a good matchup, id rather play battlefield bad company 2 on my ps3 online (psn DonVCorleone)

5. cnelson13 says: Dec 9, 2010 2:44 PM

Let me re-write one of these sentences:

[Matt Millen] is now an analyst. Whether [anyone] is a better [general manager] than [Matt Millen] was is irrelevant to the analysis.”

6. onderin says: Dec 9, 2010 2:46 PM

Jeez…Lebron hate here too? I can never get away from it.

Since they’ve been on their streak I haven’t heard a peep about their gameplay and how they are doomed and overrated (it’ll start back up soon enough though).

But now people are just picking at any Lebron related thing they can in the meantime. It has become ridiculous now.

7. savocabol1 says: Dec 9, 2010 2:51 PM

“Still, we sense that our friends in Northeast Ohio are conflicted by this specific situation. On one hand, they hate LeBron. On the other hand, they hate the team with which Dilfer won his ring — the Baltimore Ravens f/k/a the Cleveland Browns”

yes, some may hate the Ravens but most of us should be passed that. yes, some of us should hate Dilfer for his constant bashing of the Browns organization (he did get benched for Charlie Frye after all…..). But nothing will get us conflicted in this situation, we all hate lebron. please continue to bash him at will.

8. songbre says: Dec 9, 2010 2:51 PM

Trent didn’t win anything … The Ravens DEFENSE won that game …

9. kscogg says: Dec 9, 2010 2:52 PM

Always funny to scoreboard LeBron. He seriously should never open his mouth again.

Will the heat make the playoffs? Everyone in the Western Hemisphere except for Miami is hoping they won’t…..thats a lot of hate!

10. mataug says: Dec 9, 2010 2:54 PM

one more thing… the Colts defense played really well in the 2006 playoffs

if anybody remembers the Colts’ start to the superbowl… oh my god
    in my opinion, one of their RBs should have got the MVP award instead of Peyton

his signature moment during the playoffs has to be that comeback against the Pats(after he had one of his INTs returned for a TD)

11. batmanofpintucky says: Dec 9, 2010 2:56 PM

I don’t care for basketball either. But Lebron James is right on this one.

The media are like vultures waiting to TEAR their prey apart. This weeks prey is Peyton Manning, who everyone expects to win 12 games by default. If the Colts start winninf games all this talk goes away. The same thing was going down with the Bears and Jay Cutler, win 5 games in a row and that shuts people up.

Trent Dilfer does suck, did suck and continues to suck. Any qb on that Ravens team could have won, just by NOT making mistakes. I remember watching a game that year where Dilfer threw the ball like 10 times for 80 yards. 80 yards passing and they still won.

You can compare apples to oranges but they are just uneven comparisons. A team consists of 53 players, sure one player CAN make a huge difference, but he can’t go at it alone!

12. milehiclown says: Dec 9, 2010 2:57 PM

Great word choice with SYCOPHANT. Your English teacher thanks you.

13. nationalmediacansuckit says: Dec 9, 2010 2:57 PM

14. CKL says: Dec 9, 2010 2:57 PM

Browns fans hate the Steelers more. The hate for Balt is more Modell hate.
    LeBron hate probably trumps Steelers hate (among people who are also basketball fans, not just football fans alone) and is neck and neck with Modell hate right now since the LeBrownEye debacle was more recent and he made it personal.
    You’re welcome.

15. JeffreyAuburnDixon says: Dec 9, 2010 2:59 PM

Florio you are the worst hater on the planet. You’re only posting this to try win back some support from the audience after that abortion of a post you put out about Cutler.

16. damnskins703 says: Dec 9, 2010 2:59 PM

Ur mad cus ur name ain’t king florio..

17. mamueller says: Dec 9, 2010 2:59 PM

Everyone needs to stop hating Lebron James. GROW UP! He made the best business decision. He gave Cleveland 7 years and that organization couldn’t put a winning team around him, so he left for a better team. And are Cleveland fans really surprised he left? they were booing him telling him he sucked because he had a few bad games. and it’s ESPN’s fault they hired one of the worst starting QB’s in NFL history to be an analyst not Lebron’s. Trent Dilfer should have never gotten the job.

18. kevo126 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:02 PM

19. realfootballfan says: Dec 9, 2010 3:04 PM

Sorry, Mike, but he’s right on this one. It’s also interesting that you, who constantly rips matt Millen for his credibility gap, find fault with what he’s saying. It’s the same concept.

Also, it’s kind of short sighted to put Dilfer and Manning in the same breath because they both have won one Super Bowl. By that token, is he better than Marino or Fouts because he happened to play with one of the 2 or 3 best defenses of this era….I don’t think so.

Dilfer’s presence on ESPN is a joke, and his constant self-promotion of his awful career to justify any criticism he throws out is laughable at best. He can say whatever he wants, but when I see or hear him criticizing high level football players like Manning or others, all I hear is “womp, womp, womp” like on the Charlie Brown cartoons.

Hating an arrogant athlete is a strange concept though. I can’t believe that a guy who was told since he was 12 or 13 that he’s the greatest, actually thinks he’s the greatest, lol.

I could think of worse behavior in this society for you to get into, especially since all of the great players before him (Jordan, Magic Johnson, Bird, Bryant,etc) tend to disply similar characteristics, but I guess it was okay for them since they have rings, lol.

20. finfanjim says: Dec 9, 2010 3:12 PM

Incorrect analogy cnelson13. Millen, as a GM, analyzes talent and makes personnel moves. Being an analyst on TV is very much the same, critiquing a player’s abilities.

Dilfer was a player. His duty was to move the ball down the field. That has little to do with analyzing another’s performance. The reason that he’s there is that he understands the capabilities and the limitations of the players at the position.

Florio was not being hypocritical in the least. His was the most spot on post in a long time. LeBron is a quitter who won’t ever be a champion until he grows up a lot. He quit on Cleveland in last year’s playoffs. He could’ve just left Cleveland and most would understand. Instead, he decided to stroke his ego as he strung along Cleveland on a false premise of a “decision”. His decision, which he claimed wasn’t made until that morning, had been formed years prior as he tried to maneuver a situation into a super team. They will never get past Boston until they get a true leader on that team.

LeBron is a quitter and a loser…

21. Deb says: Dec 9, 2010 3:13 PM

Dilfer is a good analyst, and he’s also very forthright in saying he was never the QB that Brady and Manning are. Often it’s the lesser players who make the best coaches and analysts.

Nice observation about the championships. Great if you have both, but given a choice, I’d rather my team have Super Bowl trophies than passing records. And I hope no NFL player ever buys a half-hour of air time to announce he’s changing teams. What an ego! Yuck!

22. danimalk82 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:15 PM

“cnelson13 says: Dec 9, 2010 2:44 PM

Let me re-write one of these sentences:

Do you not see the hypocrisy here? You have a problem with LeBron bringing Dilfer’s playing ability into the analysis equation, but you do the EXACT same thing with Millen and his general manager tenure? Hellooooooo.”

Haha you just got served Florio! I love how people act like their professional analysis has nothing to do with their personal opinions. I also love how a championship is a considered an individual achievement. The difference between Lebron and Dilfer is that Dilfer had help (understatement of the century).

23. svenhoek86 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:19 PM

I….agree with Florio…..

I must consult my Mayan Calendar. This has to be something significant.

24. svenhoek86 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:21 PM

#
    CKL says: Dec 9, 2010 2:57 PM

Browns fans hate the Steelers more. The hate for Balt is more Modell hate.
    You’re welcome.
    ———————–

Really? You hate a team you have a rivalry with MORE then you hate the team that stole your players and won YOUR championship with them? I can’t even imagine that.

25. rando74 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:22 PM

LeBron is an idiot who needs to shut up. Perhaps he should worry less about trent Dilfer (who is great in his new job by the way, and all you other idiots can save your “he sucked” and “he only won because of the defense” crap. Every one of you would clean up Ray Lewis’s dogs poop if it would get you a ring) and a little more about himself. All this guy does is piss people off. He plays basketball and everyone outside of Miami hates him. Theres no reason for him to even say anything. Peyton is not good right now its a fact. Didnt this guy play football in high school? When you’re bad, your bad. Call a spade a spade. What a ‘tard. Maybe he could make a really cool 30 minute borefest about how he is leaving Twitter for Facebook.

26. danimalk82 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:23 PM

“nationalmediacansuckit says: Dec 9, 2010 2:57 PM

I’m not a Lebron James fan, but how can people hate a guy who became a free agent. He didn’t demand a trade. He didn’t quit on his team. He’s not raping girls in bathrooms or killing people while driving drunk. He played out his contract and wanted to go to greener pastures. I’ve never seen so many people jealous of a 25 year old young man b/c he has what they want. Money & athleticism. Get over it already.”

Also agreed, he played out his contract and owes nothing to Cleveland. Ohio is the armpit of American Sports… always has been and always will be. Any other city would have just started paying more attention to local team that is relevant, but since Ohio doesn’t have one they are stuck whining, bitching, and moaning. That state disgusts me.

27. danimalk82 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:24 PM

I know Ohio is not a city was referring to Cleveland and the Cavs. We idiots need an edit feature Florio.

28. cnelson13 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:26 PM

To those that replied to me, sorry, but my analogy was perfectly sound. Florio writing this post is nothing by hypocrisy. If he is going to defend Dilfer’s ability to analyze because it’s separate from his play, he must do the same for Millen. But he’s not, because he’s being a hypocrite.

29. scra22 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:27 PM

Wait, so does that mean you can only criticize a player if you are a former player who was better than them when you played? So Lebron must have been cool when Michael Jordan dissed him and didn’t put MJ on his “list.”

As for Dilfer, just because he wasn’t as talented does not mean that he does not mentally understand the game well or give good analyses. It does not take Joe Montana to see that Manning has stunk it up lately.

30. cappa662 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:29 PM

I think I would rather have LeBron playing for my team than Dilfer. He was a horrible QB, who was QB-ing of the greatest defense and special teams ever. All he really had to do was hand the ball off to Jamal Lewis. Not hard to do, except if your Tony Banks.

31. theoriginalcaptainmarvel says: Dec 9, 2010 3:33 PM

Out of all this, the dumbest thing said was “Dilfer has won as many championships as Manning”. Whoever said that ought to be shot. Dilfer was one of the worst QB’s I’ve ever seen play that lasted more than a couple years. He was absolutely terrible.

32. mamueller says: Dec 9, 2010 3:36 PM

Well put danimalk82 well put

33. importantpftcomment says: Dec 9, 2010 3:42 PM

I’m not a Lebron fan, and really not a fan of basketball in general, not even the last 4 minutes. However, Lebron is absolutely right, and I find it hilarious that someone like Florio, a former (possibly failed) attorney would call him out on this.

Florio, you do the EXACT same thing to numerous players, coaches and others within football. What credentials do you have? Were you better tham Matt Millen? Better than Favre? Better than Manning?

Yea, that is what I thought. You have no right calling out others if you are going to bitch, whine and complain about someone else doing THE EXACT SAME THING!!!!

34. geo59 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:43 PM

Florio, you admit to the fact that you don’t watch basketball. Therefore, you know nothing about it. Your comment questioning whether Manning is a better quarterback than Dilfer is pretty strong evidence that you know nothing about football either. So what, all you do, while you masquerade as a sports writer is spew ignorant hate-speak? It is you that should shut up. Permanently. You bring nothing of value to the table. Go away. Please.

35. bbb82 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:47 PM

“Lately, however, I’ve taken up the hobby known in some parts as Heat-hating.”

Can’t say I blame you. Lebron and the Heat make it so easy to hate them.

36. realfootballfan says: Dec 9, 2010 3:47 PM

I shouldn’t be surprised by those here who enjoy Dilfer’s gas bag analysis, which is just like his playing career…bad. This moron actually says that coaching is more important than having good players, lol. I guess when you sucked as a player, you would say that.

Also, it’s interesting that if he were one of the proclaimed “loud mouths” like Chris Carter, Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp, Keyshawn Johnson, etc., I could almost guess the reaction here.

However, it’s interesting to see the hypocrites here say that what Dilfer, a horrible NFL player, says is more valid when he makes no more logical points than those “loud mouths.” Interesting indeed.
    Wonder where that skewed view comes from, hypocrites…enlighten me.

He doesn’t break anything down technically, he doesn’t have any great past play to recall on to give him credibility, and he generally just gives his silly opinion on any given subject….kind of just like those other guys mentioned.

However, those “loud mouths” with more credentials to criticize, are constantly ripped while he’s lauded as “”great at his new job. So hypocrites, enlighten me why?

37. heatjake says: Dec 9, 2010 3:47 PM

Dude.

First,
    “I don’t follow basketball.”

Then,
    “First, we’d like to congratulate LeBron on temporarily leaving his cocoon of enablers and sycophants. Second, we’d like to invite him to shut up.”

Who the hell are you to say anything about an athelete you don’t watch, follow, or obviously know anything about. I usually wonder why people trash you in the comments, now I know why.

If you don’t know about Lebron, don’t write about Lebron. If he doesn;t like Dilfer – who cares??

I don’t know anyone who likes Dilfer.

Oh, let me hate a guy who had a chance to play with two all stars in their prime in a beautiful city instead of Mo Williams in frigid Cleveland.

ProFootballTalk – I expected better.

38. CKL says: Dec 9, 2010 3:47 PM

#
    svenhoek86 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:21 PM

#
    CKL says: Dec 9, 2010 2:57 PM

Browns fans hate the Steelers more. The hate for Balt is more Modell hate.
    You’re welcome.
    ———————–

________________________
    I’m not a Browns fan. I live in the area though. Just reporting what I have observed over the years. I could be wrong, and if so perhaps someone will chime in to that effect. Steelers-Browns is a many many year rivalry though it’s not very competitive at this time.
    Why would Browns fans hate the RAVENS players/team (it’s not their fault they got moved)more than they hate the person who made the Ravens EXIST? It’s like hating the chick/dude your spouse cheated with instead of hating your spouse who is the actual person who betrayed you. Modell won’t even set foot in this city since he moved the team. He knows. Even today, I bet you can go to the stadium and see “muck fodell” shirts.

39. texasphinsfan says: Dec 9, 2010 3:54 PM

While I agree with the general point of not criticizing analysts based on their playing careers, I wonder why you single out LeBron? Professional athletes do this all the time.

40. profootballwalk says: Dec 9, 2010 3:57 PM

“svenhoek86 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:19 PM

I….agree with Florio…..

I must consult my Mayan Calendar. This has to be something significant.”

Dingdingding – we have a winner!

41. kimcon22000 says: Dec 9, 2010 4:00 PM

Trent Difer’s a joke on and off the field. Those of you wanting to have his child have your own issues to work on. Bad players seem to somehow get into commentating ie: Dilweed, Trent Green, Chris Carter etc etc.

As far as L James – who gives a flip?
    This is football season!

42. comeonnowguys says: Dec 9, 2010 4:04 PM

mamueller says: Dec 9, 2010 2:59 PM

“Everyone needs to stop hating Lebron James. GROW UP! He made the best business decision. ”

It’s not what he did, it’s how he did it.

And that’s what you get when you start ignoring your wiser advisers and listen only to a bunch of 25 year old friends. (And Jim Gray, of course)

43. nopuntintended says: Dec 9, 2010 4:07 PM

How far back do I have to go to find your article about Trent Dilfer’s poor analysis of on game situations, along with other anti-ESPN articles?

You don’t have any championships, twit.

You’re not a player.
    You’re not an analyst.
    You’re a glorified news gatherer.

44. finfanjim says: Dec 9, 2010 4:12 PM

Really, cnelson13? So analyzing and analyzing(Millen) is the same as playing and analyzing(Dilfer)?

Bad thought process. Bad analogy.

45. slippyal2 says: Dec 9, 2010 4:13 PM

MIke Florio should shove it. LeBron is correct, Manning getting pointers from a draft bust is a joke.

Trent Dilfer is a QB to a championship team as Damon Huard was to the ’01 Pats.

46. tominmilwaukee says: Dec 9, 2010 4:14 PM

Dilfer is doing EXACTLY what ESPN hired him for, to analyze situations that will cause feed back (like this article). So that it turn, makes him a pretty good commentator…….

As for LeBron, i have never been a fan…. He just doesn’t seem to “get it”…… Last year’s playoff series against the Celtics is a pretty good indicator of what kind of competitor he is……

I personally like athletes who fight through adversity and come out on top…… Michael Jordan (Fathers Death, Gambling Allegations) , Kobe Bryant (Rape Trial), Ray Lewis (Murder Trial), Brett Favre (Father’s Death, Drug Addiction) and Mike Vick (Dog Fighting)…… I do not condone their actions, but nobody is perfect and who are we to judge?

LeBron’s “cross” is that he can’t deal with people not liking him…..Big deal, get over yourself….. In a way i would to see him prove everybody wrong, but if the Heat do go on to win a championship, we will never hear the end of it from him……

Bottom line: Keep doing what you do Dilfer….. And Lebron just needs to shut up and play ball…..

47. cnelson13 says: Dec 9, 2010 4:19 PM

finfanjim-

That’s not the point. The point is, Florio is saying SOMETHING ELSE is not relevant to being a commentator. If Dilfer’s play is not relevant to his ability to work for ESPN, neither is Millen’s general managing.

Anyone with a brain knows that Millen, while a terrible GM, has been around the game long enough between the field and the front office to offer some insights. If Matt Millen has no credibility, what credibility does Mike Florio have?

48. snnyjcbs says: Dec 9, 2010 4:20 PM

The guy is right, Dilfer and Manning should never even be spoken in the same sentence.

It is one thing to go over a players play and another to do it with laughter and or slur. Especially when you have so many of these so called Analysts that have 0 business doing what they are doing.

49. sterilizecromartie says: Dec 9, 2010 4:20 PM

Dilfer is a pretty good analyst. And he would NEVER say anything that would indicate that he knows the QB position better than Manning. He is simply doing his job as an analyst.

After the MNF game last week someone asked Dilfer, as a former QB, how Brady is playing at such a high level. Dilfer said something like “I don’t know. I was never a great QB… so what Brady is doing now is astounding to me…”

Dilfer is pretty humble when it comes to talking about these QBs. Lebron needs to chill out.

50. sterilizecromartie says: Dec 9, 2010 4:25 PM

Also, I read posts on this website everyday from us criticizing players about how they play. There are posts on here now criticizing Dilfer for how he played the game. So we are qualified to criticize Dilfer and other players, but he isn’t qualified to criticize Manning? Lol.

By Lebron’s logic, the only people who are allowed to criticize his play would be MJ or Kobe.

51. fellorio says: Dec 9, 2010 4:27 PM

songbre says: Dec 9, 2010 2:51 PM

Trent didn’t win anything … The Ravens DEFENSE won that game
    ———————————————————–
    Paintin didn’t win anything, either. Rex Grossman was the Bears’ QB. SOMEBODY had to win.

52. southbeachtalent says: Dec 9, 2010 4:35 PM

Trent Dilfer is a TOOL… Yes he is an “analyst” but the only thing that qualifies him is his history in the NFL…which was awful.

As for you Florio, I would think a man of your intellect would see these Heat and Lebron haters for what they are scorned and dumped. You know what happens when you trust an organization, see Jeter or Favre.

I must say I do love all the hate we’re getting! Reminds me of the U!

53. crsw25 says: Dec 9, 2010 4:36 PM

Ah, you NFL fans who think you are sports fans. Just because you like football doesn’t make one a “sports” fan. The NFL is almost becoming the sport for people who have no interest in the true meaning of what makes sports great; the competition. It’s pretty much becoming the hip new show to watch every week, not a sport, like the new Seinfeld, or the new Glee . So all you non sports fans, stop hating on other sports because you don’t understand them.

54. silverandblack666 says: Dec 9, 2010 4:39 PM

I hate basketball its pathetic to watch a bunch of “ME” guys trying to dunk on each other and cant make a free throw…some old guy like 50 years old made 5,000 free throws in a row and these over paid thugs can’t shoot 80% from the line….give me a break!
    Besides who wants to watch a game where there are

over 100 points scored it seems so overblown. Not to mention the whole “Hip Hop” mentality of lets beat our wives and go to jail to have some street credit belongs in the NBA keep it out the NFL!!

55. frank booth says: Dec 9, 2010 4:43 PM

NBA Basketball is dead.

When you have players colluding to go to certain teams with other players, it makes the game a lot less interesting and less competitive. It’s about as exciting as watching the Yankees outbidding everyone to purchase championships.

56. worsethingss says: Dec 9, 2010 4:52 PM

#
    Deb says: Dec 9, 2010 3:13 PM

____________________________________

Deb, although I disagree with you on almost any other subject, you are spot on right here. Good post.

57. midgetbanger says: Dec 9, 2010 5:05 PM

Dilfer sucked as a QB and he sucks as a commentator.

From a Ravens fan.

58. granadafan says: Dec 9, 2010 5:09 PM

comeonnowguys says:
    Dec 9, 2010 4:04 PM
    I’m not sure everyone was put off by the decision as much as they were by entire spectacle of the situation. Especially when it became known that they were going there the entire time and that the whole courting process was a sham.”

It’s not what he did, it’s how he did it.
    ——————————————————————–

Ding ding ding. Well said. LeBron doesn’t owe Cleveland anything after he helped make the team respectable again. Most people actually don’t blame for wanting to get out of hellhole known as Cleveland (Mistake by the Lake). The way LeBron made his DECISION is what turned people off of him. The 1/2 hour “special” was a sham and enormous ego stroking PR disaster, despite the spin job with the Boys and Girls Club as a cheap prop.

No one bought it and he should fire his PR consultants. Epic Fail. Now he’s exposed himself as one gigantic D-bag.

59. rasalas says: Dec 9, 2010 5:15 PM

@kev0126
    “@cnelson13 their is a huge difference in dilfer and millen. difer won a superbowl. millen was the worst gm ever. you dont have to be great but you cant be the worst.”

Matt Millen went to four Super Bowls with three teams, which won each time. He was a respected NFL TV analyst for many years before he became a GM. The fact that he failed as a GM doesn’t change the fact that he clearly knows the NFL well from his playing days and post-game TV career. He might not be qualified to be a GM based on his stint in Detroit, but he certainly is qualified to talk authoritatively about it — JUST AS HE DID BEFORE HE EVER BECAME A GM.

That’s what Florio doesn’t get. It’s also what makes him a hypocrite, as cnelson13 pointed out, in complaining about LeBron James’ calling out Trent Dilfer.

60. rskills says: Dec 9, 2010 5:16 PM

You gys are placing too much emphasis on success translating to being a good analyst or not. Everyone forgets that Millen was a smart player who translated into being a good analyst originally. Which was the only reason he was given the GM job. He failed at that, so he’s back to what he was doing well. Jason Garett was never a successful quarterback, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t understand the x’s and o’s. Now he’s a pretty good offensive minded coach. Same with Dilfer and being an analyst. Same with Spurrier and Gruden being great qb coaches. I’m sure half of you guys that think you know this game so well never qb’d a team with a great defense to any sort of championship!

KOBE!

61. hokiez says: Dec 9, 2010 5:20 PM

That’s f/k/a-ing awesome!

62. realfootballfan says: Dec 9, 2010 5:20 PM

tominmilwaukee,

Let me get this right….you’d rather your athletes fight through truly horrible situations rather than fight through media and fan fabricated adversity?

And you wonder why this country is going to hell in a hand basket with this kind of blind hatred going on around you?

sterilizecromartie,

Are you kidding? In this guy’s mind, he was never a bust, was a cornerstone piece to Tampa’s success rather than the biggest reason Dungy got fired there, was an important piece to that Raven Super Bowl team, and generally carries himself with an arrogant air of some great player.

Do you not remember when this moron said last year at the first signs of the Favre/Childress feud late in the season, “When quarterbacks like me and Brett Favre want to audible, out of bad plays that we see,” which should end the thought because he has nothing in common with Favre. He’s a self promotion nut who’s hell bent on brain washing idiots out there who sit in front of BSPN to forget how utterly horrible he was as a player with those kind of silly comments.

63. neverend1 says: Dec 9, 2010 5:38 PM

Yeah, funny Florio. Everytime someone critizes tony dungy as an analyst you never defend the guy and then you let commenters post racist, hateful language about dungy despite the fact that this site was supposed to be guarded for offensive comments from now on.

regardless, this is a well written article and some good points.

64. wheels27 says: Dec 9, 2010 5:43 PM

Did Dilfer ever make it back like Peyton did? Dilfer is an annoying know it all who acts like he was a top tier QB BVin the NFL. When in reality he was being carried by the Ravens defense. I never saw him do anything for another team except sit on the sidelines watching failing QB’s fail then complain about that city after he left. ESPN needs to get their heads straight and get him out of the studio so I can nenjoy their Sunday night coverage again.

65. JSpicoli says: Dec 9, 2010 5:47 PM

So by Florio’s infant-fan logic (understanding football using numbers and colors) Plunkett was twice the QB that Manning is, and Marino doesn’t even rate.

Championships are great, they mean something, they do not mean everything. It is the ultimate team sport. I know it makes it wasier for you to rank everything, something you hold dear to your heart, but put your anal rententiveness aside and just enjoy the game, and try to imagine that you cannot use linear logic to rate everything in the NFL.

66. frank booth says: Dec 9, 2010 6:00 PM

crsw25 says:
    Dec 9, 2010 4:36 PM
    ===================================
    What a senseless post. What you are saying here is that NFL fans aren’t “sports fans”? I don’t quite get it. Are you saying that the NFL isn’t competitive? Have you ever watched a football game?

If you want to talk about a show, talk about the NBA- The bombast of the player introductions, the lack of fundamentals, the strong focus on individual players, the me-first attitude, the lack of players willing to play defense, stars that hit 60% of their free throws, players sitting out because of mild injuries or tummyaches, all topped off by the televised LeBron announcement- The NBA is a show, until you get to the playoffs.

67. deiong says: Dec 9, 2010 6:33 PM

well its pretty much like that for ever sport. to little action. to much bordom. not to say every game is like that. but more are so then not.. theres more action in basketball then football. but hey it could be baseball. or even soccer. when the end of the game is 1 to 0. can ask for much boredom then that.

68. sterilizecromartie says: Dec 9, 2010 6:47 PM

@ rasalas

Your logic would appear to make sense, except for one little thing…. Have you heard Millen call games lately? He makes my ears bleed.

@ realfootballfan

No, I don’t remember what Trent Dilfer said a year ago about Brett Favre. Sorry.

As far as the rest of your post goes, it’s a whole lot of assumptions and jumping to conclusions. I don’t remember Dilfer ever saying he was a cornerstone of TBs success nor did I ever get the vibe he was better than any of his peers.

We can argue all day about Dilfer. But look at the other guys working for networks as analysts or announcers. Tim Hasselbeck, Chris Collinsworth, Merril Hodge, etc. No matter what your feelings on Dilfer is, he did more in the NFL than any of those guys.

And if we are going to bash someone for being arrogant, and a flat-out jerk on the air, please, let it be Tiki barber.

69. Deb says: Dec 9, 2010 6:48 PM

@crsw25 …

Aww … do you need some attention?? So you thought you’d shoot spitballs at the football fans. I can understand why you prefer bball. It’s so simple a child can do it. My niece has been going to bball camp since she was four–and she’s short for her age. And it’s so well-choreographed. I can almost hear that whistling Globetrotters tune in my head when they play. What is it they used to call the Lakers championship teams? Oh yeah …

Showtime. LOL

70. tominmilwaukee says: Dec 9, 2010 7:19 PM

@ realfootballfan

I think you are missing my point……. The athletes i mentioned have been through life crisis’ while in the prime of their careers, much like LeBron……. But they simply manned up, took care of their business off the field, made no excuses and returned to glory…….

LeBron is simply acting like a little bitc*…… He brought this all on himself, much like the athletes i mentioned, but takes no RESPONSIBILITY for his actions……

And no, i do not want, “(My) athletes (to) fight through truly horrible situations rather than fight through media and fan fabricated adversity”….. There is no comparison between the two…… But that tells me something about the man…..

Bottom line: If LeBron can’t handle his current adversity, what gives you the idea he is mentally tough enough to lead his team to a championship and become an all time great?? After all, he did join Dwayne Wade’s team……

Let me guess, you voted for Obama and blame our current economy problem on Bush…. But fail to forget about all of Obama’s bailouts…… Which will cripple this country for at least another generation….

71. frank booth says: Dec 9, 2010 7:20 PM

sterilizecromartie says:
    Dec 9, 2010 6:47 PM

===================================
    Granted, Dilfer has a championship under his belt, but with him throwing 12 td’s and 11 int’s with a rating of 77 in the Ravens Super Bowl season, you could hardly say that he lead that team to the Super Bowl. He finished his career with more INT’s than TD’s

Collinsworth had a better pro career than Dilfer, making 3 Pro Bowls and leading his team in receiving with over 1000 yards in his rookie season, when Cincy lost to the 49ers in the Super Bowl.

However, Dilfer wasn’t a horrible quarterback. You don’t stay in the league for 13 years being horrible.

72. tominmilwaukee says: Dec 9, 2010 7:22 PM

But fail to remember*

73. realfootballfan says: Dec 9, 2010 7:55 PM

tominmilwaukee,

I didn’t know he “brought anything on himself.” the guy changed teams, lol. furthermore, that you bring up President Obama in this sports topic kind of underlines what I mean about how upside most of you people in this country are.

It’s all about your personal affection for men and women, not for their personal actions. James’ rant is exactly what florio does anytime he gets to bash Matt Millen.

If you didn’t see the “D” or “R” next to most of their names, I wonder if many would even know who to support since you don’t notice the similarity at the end of the day in which both parties handle problems. But carry on, carry on believing in fairy tales of how one side is to blame more than the other when they continue working in concert destroying this country.

When we’re Rome or Greece, maybe history will be kind to us.

74. umrguy42 says: Dec 9, 2010 8:57 PM

#
    cappa662 says: Dec 9, 2010 3:29 PM

========================

After the Ravens won SB XXXV, my college roommate decided that the best way to win the Super Bowl was to pick up Tony Banks as your starting QB for a while, and then get rid of him…

75. rickytan80 says: Dec 9, 2010 10:46 PM

Dilfer is crap. He is proof that athletes who can articulate decently are scarce because I know no one that can tolerate him. He is the athlete equivalent on skip clueless.

76. bava84 says: Dec 10, 2010 3:21 PM

In fairness to the objective-minded NFL sports world, I’d actually like to invite Florio and all the other imbeciles, unequivocally opposed to any positive mention of Peyton and the advancement of his legacy, to “shut up” — even more, to step-off…
    I remind all sports fans and contributors that articles like this are unoriginal, unimaginative, and pedestrian, as so many of Florio’s colleagues and peers have either already impetuously drafted, or are in the process of dredging up crap from their cesspool of archives for transfer to the sports wing of the very extensive NBC television network, which has employed the likes of loud-mouthed and ever sleazy Keith Olbermann.

77. frank booth says: Dec 10, 2010 3:37 PM