Favre says he couldn’t have played on Sunday

Brett Favre

Maybe the snow event in Minnesota really was an “Act of Favre.”

Vikings quarterback Brett Favre told ESPN’s Ed Werder via text message that Favre would not have been able to push his 297-game regular-season starting streak to two from 300 if Minnesota’s game against the Giants had proceeded as scheduled on Sunday.

Though Favre also said the shoulder injury suffered on the third play from scrimmage last week against the Bills normally requires three weeks to heal, Favre hasn’t ruled out playing Monday night, wherever the game may occur.

Maybe, in the end, Favre will take a page from Inigo Montoya and throw left handed.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Favre says he couldn’t have played on Sunday”
  1. 4sacroc says: Dec 12, 2010 10:40 AM

The next thing – and only thing – I wanna read about Favre is his obit.

2. icewalker946 says: Dec 12, 2010 10:42 AM

Hello, my name is Brett Favre……..

3. lucky5927 says: Dec 12, 2010 10:42 AM

Rumor has it that Favre used some of his 20 million to have snow dumped on the roof of the Metrodome so he would have more time to heal. Way to go you ole dong slinger….

4. bigbluefan1 says: Dec 12, 2010 10:42 AM

Yeah right bullshot

5. revolution22 says: Dec 12, 2010 10:43 AM

What BS. This is just Favre getting his two cnts in. Making a story. I bet dollars to donuts that if this never happened, Favre would be on the field today.

6. bleedgreen says: Dec 12, 2010 10:44 AM

Favre will start. He’ll turn around and hand the ball to AP 3 times before coming out of the game.

7. icewalker946 says: Dec 12, 2010 10:50 AM

[fencing]
    Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful.
    Man in Black: Thank you; I’ve worked hard to become so.
    Inigo Montoya: I admit it, you are better than I am.
    Man in Black: Then why are you smiling?
    Inigo Montoya: Because I know something you don’t know.
    Man in Black: And what is that?
    Inigo Montoya: I… am not left-handed.
    [Moves his sword to his right hand and gains an advantage]
    Man in Black: You are amazing.
    Inigo Montoya: I ought to be, after 20 years.
    Man in Black: Oh, there’s something I ought to tell you.
    Inigo Montoya: Tell me.
    Man in Black: I’m not left-handed either.
    [Moves his sword to his right hand and regains his advantage]

8. tommytd says: Dec 12, 2010 10:50 AM

Of course not…now that there is no game to be played on Sunday.

9. tommytd says: Dec 12, 2010 10:52 AM

A miraculous 24-hour healing process will make it possible for this moron to play on Monday rather than Sunday. What a magnificent human specimen he is. More like a jerkoff I would say.

10. deepseahawks says: Dec 12, 2010 10:53 AM

I love that movie..

11. wildinkc says: Dec 12, 2010 10:53 AM

LOL why am I not surprised about this.

12. simplesimon1 says: Dec 12, 2010 10:54 AM

Wherever the game may occur? Just have it in LA. That’s a distinct possiblility for the Vikings, Bucs or Chargers come next year anyways. Might as well find out if the people of LA like the Vikings. Might make the decision easier.

13. bowdowntoatruepimp says: Dec 12, 2010 10:55 AM

Favre, STFU already. We’re all sick of you overplaying your boo boos. First sack you take from the Giants is going to require a stretcher to cart your sorry ass off the field and you’ll be questionable all week just to start next Sunday.

14. grogansheroes says: Dec 12, 2010 11:01 AM

The big question is, what is this guy going to do when he actually (gulp) does retire? I mean how is he going to be a media whore, maybe on ESPN?

15. chrisbermansdoublechin says: Dec 12, 2010 11:02 AM

b/c Farve says it, Ed Werder believes it? Have the Vikings ruled him as doubtful OR out for the game? he can’t play Sunday, but he can play Monday IF there’s a game?

16. polegojim says: Dec 12, 2010 11:06 AM

Um…. Favre can’t play ANY Sunday at this point.

Guaranteed to cause more Viking flop with high doses of Twin City disappointment.

17. commandercornpone says: Dec 12, 2010 11:06 AM

welcome to daytwa. 2 weeks in a row, bert.

or play outside.

unless u puss out and stay home.

18. moochach says: Dec 12, 2010 11:06 AM

The ego of Favre is truly amazing, he’s a bad QB for a underachieving team and yet he manipulates the press every week into obsessing over his role in the game, his mental state and his injuries. The hundreds of players who play hurt every week and say nothing about it have to absolutely despise this guy.

19. theservice10 says: Dec 12, 2010 11:08 AM

How convenient that Favre waits till after the game is moved to say this. God I hate this guy.

20. eagleswin says: Dec 12, 2010 11:10 AM

Another self-serving statement that makes him look like the hero when he starts tommorrow night (wherever that may be). Just like he was playing (self-described) on an ankle broken in two places and no other QB would try playing with those injuries. Only to have doctors explain the injuries as glrofied ankle sprains that most QBs would play with if it was a playoff game.

It’s all in the spin and Brett Favre is spinning it like a top.

21. nsevh76 says: Dec 12, 2010 11:12 AM

“You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is ‘Never get involved in a land war in Asia,’ but only slightly less well known is this: ‘Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.'”

22. shawon0meter says: Dec 12, 2010 11:13 AM

Nobody believes this, do they?

23. tim1999 says: Dec 12, 2010 11:13 AM

Any truth to the rumor Favre has renamed L’il Brett of Jen Sterger phone pix fame “Ed Werder”??

24. realitypolice says: Dec 12, 2010 11:14 AM

Tomorrow night is Favreaggedon.

Far more mobile QB’s than he have been brutalized by the Giants D this year. He can’t move and has a bad shoulder. Even if he starts, he’s not getting out of the first quarter. I’m not a Giants fan, but they’ve knocked 5 QB’s out of games this year.

Favre doesn’t stand a chance if he dares walk out on the field, especially if it is outdoors, which favors the Giants even more because they play far more outdoor cold weather games on average than the Vikings.

25. damaddhatter29 says: Dec 12, 2010 11:16 AM

4sacroc says:
    Dec 12, 2010 10:40 AM
    “The next thing – and only thing – I wanna read about Favre is his obit.”

Man, that’s just messed up on so many levels. Some things you just don’t say, and you sir, have said it.

26. bigbear12 says: Dec 12, 2010 11:19 AM

27. belicheckyoself says: Dec 12, 2010 11:21 AM

He hasn’t really been able to play since 09

28. gooboy6 says: Dec 12, 2010 11:27 AM

Hey Bart…shut the f u

29. righthereisay says: Dec 12, 2010 11:28 AM

They should let him play and then at 299 yank him. That is the only reason he came back (to get to 300), and that would be devistating to him.

30. buzmeg says: Dec 12, 2010 11:33 AM

Did Farve’s text message to Werder include a photo of his dick?

31. polegojim says: Dec 12, 2010 11:33 AM

Brett will be looking into the eyes of an entire line of Six Fingered Men!

“Hello…My name is Inigo Montoya Favre… you killed my Career, prepare to DIE!

Brett after an INT: “Inconcieeeeeevible…”
    Refs: “You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Brett walking off: “Why can’t I move my arms?”
    Coach: “Well, You’ve been mostly dead all day.”

Center to Brett: “I think you’re bluffing.”
    Brett: “It’s possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It’s conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I’m only lying here because I lack the strength to stand.

32. heavythumb says: Dec 12, 2010 11:38 AM

Is four guys in Carhartts with hand shovels really the most effective way to clear off that roof?

33. demolition510 says: Dec 12, 2010 11:40 AM

And that’s Shen he busted out his cell phone and ordered Goodell to make it happen. This man is full of himself

34. tprt2 says: Dec 12, 2010 11:50 AM

Divine Intervention – there’s really no other way to describe it.

The “Big Fella” doesn’t want the streak to end!

35. pervyharvin says: Dec 12, 2010 12:03 PM

STFU Viking haters. Vikings and Favre ARE the news every week in the NFL. See how you all feel jealous and ignored…

36. FinFan68 says: Dec 12, 2010 12:03 PM

I used to like Favre, but the last few years of wishy-washy retirement, attention whoring, self-adulation disguised as humility, etc. have made his saga unbearable. Notice how he said this after the game was officially moved? This is another lame attempt at making himself seem heroic. He will probably play Monday. Please take your records and go home…enough is enough

37. pervyharvin says: Dec 12, 2010 12:05 PM

Don’t be putting stupid crap like the Princess Bride in Viking stories Mike! Do you wear a skirt or something??

38. edgy says: Dec 12, 2010 12:17 PM

So, on Monday Night Raw, they will carry Favre out on a stretcher to the middle of the field and a microphone will drop down from the ceiling and he will challenge Tarvaris Jackson to a cage match to the death and the winner will start at QB for the rest of the year and the loser will be resurrected a week later by the ghost of Vince “He Blowed Up Real Good” McMahon.

39. blackcatnfl says: Dec 12, 2010 12:22 PM

I think God intervened for Peterson.

40. blackcatnfl says: Dec 12, 2010 12:23 PM

(And my fantasy football team)

41. bluefan204 says: Dec 12, 2010 12:54 PM

The ultimate crock of s***. This guy will say anything to keep the spotlight on himself. Seriously, he has permanently ruined his public image and maybe even tarnished his career by acting like this, and the sooner he’s out of the NFL, the better the NFL will be. He has become nothing more than a joke, and it’s by his own doing.