Vick: Autograph request was a “first” for him

T. Choiceauto

Michael Vick has a way of making other NFL players look ordinary during a game, then turning them into fans once the game is over.

As we mentioned last night in our game recap, Cowboys running back Tashard Choice asked Vick to sign his glove after the game so Choice could give it to his nephew.

“My little nephew is two years old, so I had to get one for him,” Choice said.  “I just admire somebody who comes from those circumstances and comes back and proves everybody wrong.”

After the game, embarrassed Cowboys fans took to message boards and Twitter insisting Choice had a charity called “Helping Hands,” where he auctioned off signed game-worn gloves.   The only problem: The charity doesn’t exist.   Even Vick said the timing of the request was unusual.

“That’s probably the first time that’s ever happened to me,” Vick said.  “But [Choice] is a great guy. It doesn’t surprise me.”

Choice and Vick know each other from Choice’s days at Georgia Tech, when Vick was in Atlanta.  Getting an autograph isn’t so odd, but the timing was.

“Getting autographs isn’t unusual for NFL players, but you usually do it outside the locker room or before the game,” Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports said.   “Not after you just lost.”

Choice apparently got a lot of grief from Cowboys fans after the game, and apologized on Twitter Monday morning.  He called it an “innocent gesture” for his nephew.  We agree it’s not a big deal.

Still, there seems to be something going on with JerryWorld and NFC East rival quarterback’s autographs.  Eli Manning signed the locker room and pissed off Cowboys players.  Vick’s signature upset Cowboys fans.

Your turn, Donovan.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Vick: Autograph request was a “first” for him”
  1. lgbarn says: Dec 13, 2010 10:32 AM

Too much made of this. The guy got an autograph for his nephew, I’m sure he is a big hero to him. Cowboy fans need to find a new target for their grief.

2. bucsballer says: Dec 13, 2010 10:35 AM

Give it a rest. Y can’t he be nice? Sorry choice isn’t a thug like the rest of that team

3. dkhhuey says: Dec 13, 2010 10:41 AM

The dog killer is popular with the little kids – excellent! Glad to see priorities are in the right place.

4. iselldrugstoandyreidskids says: Dec 13, 2010 10:41 AM

Storys like this make me sorry to be an NFL fan I can’t believe that ppl are actually mad at him for that

5. stevo8drum says: Dec 13, 2010 10:41 AM

Cowboy fans….. you will be seeing those 2 video clips (Djack TD and the Vick signing glove) every game for YEARS!!!!!

6. kevinfromphilly says: Dec 13, 2010 10:44 AM

I hear the Cowboys CB’s wanted Jackson to sign the jocks he faked them out of.

7. masteel says: Dec 13, 2010 10:45 AM

Losing brings out a lot of things ….so timing wise really this was just a bad request. I’m sure with the access of players Choice could have made a better choice to wait and get the autograph from Vick when the camera’s and majority of fans were not watching …..right after the game ended with Cowboys losing to the Eagles.

Fans define these games with a division opponent as mortal combat …a feverish hate and anger toward the opponent team (Eagles). Fans (an I) forget that these players have bonds, connections, and interactions that we don’t witness or understand. Football camps, charity events, NFL events, prior college experiences when they played, and being an employee of the NFL itself. They view each other with a usual admiration – not anger.

8. chapnastier says: Dec 13, 2010 10:48 AM

What the heck is wrong with people? The circumstances were criminal and socio-pathically insane. Why do people keep acting like this scumbag went to war for his country, was paralyzed in battle and suddenly has beat all odds and is walking again? I honestly am tired of people treating Vick like he overcame something. He has always been an insane athlete all he did was get out of shape for 2 years and then get back into shape.

9. chillyp says: Dec 13, 2010 10:49 AM

What’s the big deal? I know a bunch of Rabbid 2year old Michael Vick fans. He’s very popular amongst the 24month year olds. He even stretches down into the 11-13 month olds. I’ve even read a stat where some of Michael Vicks biggest fans are still in the Womb, thus they’re not being counted amongst his total fan base. Give TaSHARD Choice a break.

10. medialovesthecowboys says: Dec 13, 2010 11:00 AM

Here’s one Cowboy fan saying “Who cares!” honestly, there are so many other things in life and even in football to get angry with. Like why does Terence Newman suck? Why does Leonard Davis one of the biggest men in the league, play like a pu$$y? Why bring back Tony Romo in Week 16, for any other reason to create hype for next year and sell tickets. Those are the things Cowboy nation should be talking about. Not Choice, who’s been nothing but solid by the way, doing something for his two-year-old nephew.

11. dkhhuey says: Dec 13, 2010 11:13 AM

@chapnastier – well said. I grow nauseous at listening to the media talking heads gush praise all over the dog killer’s shoes. He is nothing but a scumbag thug with athletic ability and the only reason he is still not torturing and murdering animals is the fact that he got caught. What a worthless turd in an Eagles uniform. I can only hope that one day very soon – karma will come calling for some payback for all of the inhumane pain he inflicted on those animals.

12. kimcon22000 says: Dec 13, 2010 11:15 AM

Choice should have had Vick sign his dog …………..

13. Panda Claus says: Dec 13, 2010 11:18 AM

How many two-year olds out there would even be aware of whom Michael Vick is, or any football player they’re not related to for that matter?

14. larryfinfan says: Dec 13, 2010 11:22 AM

As if getting an autograph made or could have made any difference in the game ?? This is really asinine behavior from ‘Boys fans and media… I have no love loss for Vick, however, he’s [at least outwardly] paid his debt to society. Whether you or I or anyone else thinks what he did was/is redeemable, the fact is that according to our laws, he’s paid his debt via the jail time and whatever else the courts have decided to have him do. There is no reason to hold his past actions against him still. Does that mean that I want to hire him as my dog walker…not a chance. Does it mean that he deserves the opportunity to continue to better his life, absolutely…

We should lay off Vick until he proves otherwise…

However, I’m sure this incident has little to do with Vick and more to do with how the ‘Boys have been playing so far this season, despite a reprieve since that bum Phillips was canned….ooops…I meant Wade, sorry…

15. larryfinfan says: Dec 13, 2010 11:25 AM

kevinfromphilly says: Dec 13, 2010 10:44 AM

I hear the Cowboys CB’s wanted Jackson to sign the jocks he faked them out of.

That would be hilarious and true if Jackson hadn’t spoiled it with his idiotic and taunting ‘fall’ into the endzone…

16. coachstram says: Dec 13, 2010 11:27 AM

I dont care if the auto was for the blind kid in “Dumb and Dumber”!

Stupid, mind numbing move by Choice.

Besides, I doubt seriously a 2 year old knows the difference between Vick and Richard Pryor.

Yeah, I’m sure the 2 year old will display proudly in his glass trophy case next between Lincolns stove pipe hat and his Elmo doll.

17. scorpiodsu says: Dec 13, 2010 11:29 AM

dkhhuey says: Dec 13, 2010 10:41 AM

————————————————

Dumbest comment of the day. I’m sure a 2 year old probably doesn’t even know who Mike Vick is. It most like was Choice’s decision to get one. Do you even have a brain?

18. scorpiodsu says: Dec 13, 2010 11:32 AM

I’m an Eagles fan and I know if one of our guys would have asked a Cowboy for an autograph right after just losing, we would be mad as well and destroying him on talk radio and all internet blogs. That’s how much we hate the Cowboys. So I do understand why Cowboys fans are upset.

19. johnclaytonswag says: Dec 13, 2010 11:39 AM

LOL that is sorry. Thats the team that you should hate and you should be upset you lose and instead you ask for an autograph 10 secs after the game. Thats a joke. End of story.

20. granadafan says: Dec 13, 2010 11:40 AM

Timing was horrible and in front of all the cameras. To use a two year old, who doesn’t even know who Michael Vick is, as an excuse is just weak sauce. Overall, not a huge deal. Players have a lot of respect for each other after beating the heck out of each other for 4 quarters, so it was good sportsmanship. What gets me is the lame excuses for a personal autgraph request.

21. charliework says: Dec 13, 2010 11:48 AM

scorpiodsu says:
    Dec 13, 2010 11:32 AM
    ———————————————

The Cowboys would first need to have a talented player on their team for this to even be a possibility.

22. fellorio says: Dec 13, 2010 11:49 AM

kevinfromphilly says: Dec 13, 2010 10:44 AM

I hear the Cowboys CB’s wanted Jackson to sign the jocks he faked them out of.
    ———————————————————-
    Jenkins said in an interview that his tampon fell out when DeSean juked him on the 91 yarder.
    He claimed it slowed him down. I think that’s a lame excuse, but then I don’t know the pain and embarrassment he’s going through.

23. fellorio says: Dec 13, 2010 11:53 AM

larryfinfan says: Dec 13, 2010 11:25 AM

kevinfromphilly says: Dec 13, 2010 10:44 AM

I hear the Cowboys CB’s wanted Jackson to sign the jocks he faked them out of.

———————————————————–
    Ask someone to give you a sense of humor for Christmas. It will change your world for the better.

24. tigrrrr says: Dec 13, 2010 12:01 PM

Dog killer, and no respect for life. Vick is trash.

25. fellorio says: Dec 13, 2010 12:03 PM

dkhhuey says: Dec 13, 2010 11:13 AM
    ——————————————————
    Thanks.
    So great to hear from the Hindu community on this crucial cosmological/moral question.

Personally, I’m glad that’s all you can do. I wouldn’t want you to be capable of doing anything of import.

26. mad55555 says: Dec 13, 2010 12:10 PM

If you actually believe that he got it for his nephew “Tashard”. I got some quality land at soldier field I would like to sell you. GTFOutta here. If I was a cowturd fan I would probably kill myself but before that, first I would be embarrassed.

27. stevemcguigan says: Dec 13, 2010 12:17 PM

In todays episode, Chapnasty latches on to the Vick controversy since he can no longer talk trash.

Your team is terrible, bub. A wavering shadow of a once-great franchise, driven into the ground, one bad decision at a time, by an ego-maniacal, septuagenarian hobbit with a drinking problem. Nice stadium, by the way, I hope the Cowboys get a crack at a couple winning seasons in it before it falls into dust.

28. thegreatwhitemidget says: Dec 13, 2010 12:18 PM

You know what good for Vick and choice

29. erictheclown says: Dec 13, 2010 12:21 PM

2 year old looks up to a felon.
    Parent and other adults condone it.

This is why some cultures will never get it,

30. canadianvikingfaniii says: Dec 13, 2010 12:26 PM

Just like Cowboys fans to go after a guy looking for an autograph after their team lost.

31. bspurloc says: Dec 13, 2010 12:29 PM

it is simply amazing how many people dont UNDERSTAND a 2 year old does not have the mental capacity to desire this……

32. peterson28 says: Dec 13, 2010 12:32 PM

To all you Vick haters claiming how terrible of a person he is. We allow grown men to bash each other in the face while pinned in cages and your telling me a dogs life is worth more then a humans? He served his time and is a free man. GET OVER IT.

33. dkhhuey says: Dec 13, 2010 12:33 PM

#
    scorpiodsu says: Dec 13, 2010 11:29 AM

____________________________

Sorry – didn’t realize you were of that type of brain power to be able to telepathically know that the 2 year old doesn’t know who the dog killer is. If you’d bother to hone your obvious superior mental faculties and focus on the fact that I said LITTLE KIDS – you’d realize and be able to comprehend that I was referring to plural form of kids – not just Choice’s little nephew. But thanks for taking time out of your incredibly busy day and commenting!

34. richm2256 says: Dec 13, 2010 12:48 PM

I’m pretty sure that Garrett wasn’t too pleased to see his running back giving Michael Vick the “rock star” treatment after losing to the Eagles. That’s the kind of stupid crap that would happen on Wade Phillips’ watch.

Anyone who doesn’t think this was a stupid move on Choice’s part – 2 year old nephew or not – is stupid. The amazing thing is that Choice actually had to go find a pen to do this, meaning he should have had enough time to think “is this really the way I should go about doing this?”.

I don’t believe he did it for his nephew, or he wouldn’t have come up with the lame “Human Fund” story, and regardless, this could have – and SHOULD HAVE – been done off the playing field, after the game, away from the cameras.

Is it the biggest problem facing the Cowboys today? Actually, it IS.

Too many of the Cowboys still aren’t focused on the GAME – I couldn’t believe that guy stopped chasing Jackson at the ten, and that he didn’t take offense at Jackson’s “showboating” by decking the a-hole. If I were a Cowboys fan and saw him deck that clown, I wouldn’t have cared if it cost the ‘Boys the damn game. Some things you just have to stand up against!

I think Jason Garrett has his work cut out for him, but he’s doing a damn good job with those clowns that Wade Phillips spoiled.

35. mannyicey says: Dec 13, 2010 12:53 PM

Let’s be real here:

And he’s probably trying to get memorabilia that will have some worth later on. Like I loved it when those people screaming “Dog-killer” was trying to get rid of all their Vick stuff. I bought a ball signed by Vick for about $10 from this irate guy when Vick was in prison. I can probably get over $250 on Ebay. But I’m glad that that guy stood by his convictions.

Plus, players get memorabilia all the time. I know a couple ex-NFLers. They have the best memorabilia and swag- man! So it happens all the time.

But even I have to say- Right after a bad loss? In Dallas? On the 50 yard line? With all those cameras around? LOL!!!!

What REALLY got me was when NBC got the closeup of the glove being signed along with the #7! That was a classic take! I mean, national TV got the closeup of Choice humbly asking for an autograph from Vick and Vick relented. Then he broke out with the glove and the Sharpie! LOL!

And they got the audio!!! Then they got that tight shot of the signature and the hug! I mean, whatta fan!

36. chapnastier says: Dec 13, 2010 12:56 PM

@ Steve

I would be your stereotypical Cowboys fan if I did that. The team is garbage and I can only hope that most, if not all of the starters are removed after the season.

My point is simple. I am not bashing Vick himself but this idea that he somehow should be felt sorry for. He is no hero and his story isn’t heroic or remarkable and to treat it as such is a slap in the face to those who actually overcome real obstacles in life.

37. dbellina says: Dec 13, 2010 12:57 PM

You don’t think an opposing player never asked Joe Montana, Dan Marino, or Brett Favre for their autograph. Most of the younger players grew up watching these guys and now they get the chance to play with them. I’d be getting everyone’s autograph if I was in the NFL.

38. kimcon22000 says: Dec 13, 2010 1:20 PM

peterson28 says:
    Dec 13, 2010 12:32 PM
    —————————————
    You might allow it but I do not.
    And yes, animals over “humans” anyday …………….

39. stevo8drum says: Dec 13, 2010 1:20 PM

yes dbellina but not near the star after a sunday night game in front of everyone and the cameras. It will be shown forever. remember when T.O. went to the star?? Its like that!!!

40. themonkeyman says: Dec 13, 2010 1:52 PM

chapnastier says:
    Dec 13, 2010 10:48 AM

———————————

AMEN man – this is the best comment here. All he did was go to jail on a plea when he should have gotten much more jail time, infect women with herpes & found “poppa” Reid. People act as if he overcame sooo much. Listening to the Vick supporters is ridiculous Vick didn’t cure cancer, he didn’t go to war, he didn’t even do as he promised with the charity work, in reality he hasn’t contributed anything to society.

41. bspurloc says: Dec 13, 2010 1:58 PM

“Choice’s nephew probably DOES know Vick is and loves his game. I mean, his uncle is in the NFL! So it probably WAS for him.”

And a TWO YEAR OLD can really tell the difference between an actual michael vick signature and me writing BARNEY on it.
    simply amazing how ignorant people that can type are.

42. abninf says: Dec 13, 2010 2:01 PM

“Ron Mexico, you beat our team with a backup QB by three points. You’re a convicted felon caught at a party with a guy you weren’t supposed to be with and someone got shot. Can I have your autograph for my nephew?”

43. ravenstwackle says: Dec 13, 2010 2:20 PM

Random side note – anyone else notice that Mike Vick (a left-handed QB) is signing with his right hand?

44. tramonisland says: Dec 13, 2010 2:22 PM

lgbarn says:
    Dec 13, 2010 10:32 AM
    ———————————————————–
    pretty sad when your hero is michael vick. talk about some awesome parenting there.

45. touchdownroddywhite says: Dec 13, 2010 2:32 PM

Having 3 kids(Who range from 2-6 and love football), I can tell you now that a 2 year old is capable of recognizing a player, and while he won’t look at the autograph his uncle got him this morning and go, “Wow, Unc. You got me Vick’s autograph.” Somebody will be able to point to tell him that Vick signed it and it will probably be the highlight of his 2 year old life at this point.

Kids aren’t stupid, and in any household where football is THE thing to talk about, watch, and play – A two year old is more than capable of being a fan.

46. dallasbaby says: Dec 13, 2010 5:30 PM

There is nothing wrong with Choice asking Vick to autograph his gloves and this is coming from a hardcore Cowboys fan. We had a hell of a game last night, we beat the crap out of Vick, and to be honest I think it was classy that Choice was able to say, that yes, this man just beat my team but he is a hell of an athlete and for that I respect him. So much hype over nothing at all. As for this little exchange going on in front of the cameras? I’m pretty sure Choice wanted to make a statement.

I’m sure if an opposing player had gone up to Brady, either of the Mannings or even Aaron Rodgers, it would be a non-issue. But because it’s Vick, and because it’s Choice, it’s suddenly newsworthy? Please.