DeSean says “I’m gonna try to get the most I can”

DeSean Jackson

Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson, fresh from a game in which he generated 210 receiving yards on only four catches, appears on the latest edition of The T.Ocho Show (Versus, 10:00 p.m. ET) to talk about, among other things, getting paid.

A lot.

Jackson tells the hosts, Bengals receivers Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco, that he’s aiming high when it comes to negotiating his next contract.

“T.O, man.  I’m gonna set the bar for you, man,” Jackson said.  “I’m gonna try to get the most I can and I’m gonna set it high for you and I’m gonna set it high for everybody else, too. . . .  They gonna have to do something, because they way I’m putting it in, something’s gotta happen, baby.”

Near the end, Jackson was smiling.  Still, his point was clear.

Jackson seems to understand the impact of the 30-percent rule, the unsettled labor situation, and the possibility of a lockout on his ability to get paid.  But get paid he intends to do.

Currently, Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald is the highest-paid receiver, with an average of $10 million per year.

And so the Eagles will have to come up with more than that to keep Jackson happy.

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
77 Responses to “DeSean says “I’m gonna try to get the most I can””
  1. nceagle004 says: Dec 14, 2010 5:59 PM

Just give him whatever he wants. He is only going to get better. Him, Vick & McCoy make this offense as dynamic as we’ve ever had in Philly. We just have to settle the O-line and move some moves on the defense.

2. packattack1967 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:02 PM

Cut him

3. cav2ya says: Dec 14, 2010 6:03 PM

crap. Eagles better win the SB this yr, cause it sounds like Little TO Jackson will be doing sit ups in his driveway this off season.

4. doe22us says: Dec 14, 2010 6:06 PM

Jackson is good but not Andre Johnson or Fitzgerald good or Jennings good he will get paid but if he is setting his eyes on 10 mill per yr … doubt if that will happen

5. ninersrule says: Dec 14, 2010 6:08 PM

Diva!

6. Andre's Johnson says: Dec 14, 2010 6:08 PM

Jackson is a complete ass hat. One of these days, a defensive back is going to knock him into next year, and that, my friends, will be the end of this guy. His antics and showboating are getting tired.

At least Ochocinco is funny. Jackson is just annoying.

7. justanotherdummy says: Dec 14, 2010 6:09 PM

Shocker. Who’d have guessed he wanted more money.

8. scotchrocks says: Dec 14, 2010 6:09 PM

On the verge of being a great WR, but he’s not worth Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald moola unless it’s all incentive based.

9. nceagle004 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:10 PM

Meant to say “make some moves”….

10. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Dec 14, 2010 6:11 PM

He seems to forget the risk he poses re:his health. I’m sure he wants guaranteed money, but with his fragile fame if he wants to get the most possible then it should be an incentive heavy package. PRODUCE=PAID. And I don’t mean historical production. Acutally get paid for performance. People rag on what hedge fund managers get paid, but guess what. No performance=no or low pay. Can you imagine the level of play in the NFL if all pay was performance based?

11. bbb82 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:11 PM

They money can’t possibly mean all that much to him if he’s willing to throw so much of it away on stupid TD celebrations.

12. romoscollarbone says: Dec 14, 2010 6:12 PM

Good thing NFL contracts aren’t guarenteed for injury. Kid is fast as heck, but so is his mouth. If the Eagles can’t/don’t keep Vick for whatever the reason, is DeSean as valuable? Yes he went 91yrds on a quick hitter this week, but really he needs a QB that can air it out.

IDK I wouldn’t want to pay a guy more than Fitz that can’t go over the middle on 3rd and 5. Speedsters don’t age all that well at WR either. ie Galloway, Glenn, lots of pulls and cramps.

13. arkadyrenko says: Dec 14, 2010 6:15 PM

Bad idea letting Jackson hang out with T.O. and OchoCinco. There should be somebody within the Eagles organization whose job consists of nothing but distracting DeSean with big shiny cars, Xbox games, and rap videos; whatever it takes to keep Chad and T.O. from influencing him, they should be doing it.

14. tombstone7 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:18 PM

DeSean is a great talent, but he will never get ring! He’s like T.O…selfish to core!

He will get paid, no doubts about that…..so he better go to the nearest K’s jewelers and buy two rings..one for each ear!

15. kevo126 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:18 PM

“People rag on what hedge fund managers get paid, but guess what. No performance=no or low pay.”

@thereisalwaysnextyear clearly you do not understand anything about hedge funds. most hedge funds are set up in a 2 20 pay scale. no matter how well the fund does they get 2% of the funds assets per year…and when you are dealing with billions of dollars, that can be a pretty penny (enough to retire on one years salary when you firm loses money)…go to college.

16. FinFan68 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:19 PM

Pay him big money because he thinks he is worth it…but make none of it guaranteed. If he continues to play he continues to get paid. No more of this garbage like pay big money and watch the team get held hostage by a player with an injury, bad work ethic, holdout, etc.

17. bspn2 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:25 PM

I’d love to see Ryan Clark decleat this guy and knock him into next week.

18. zinnsskins8 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:28 PM

i cant wait until he gets hit again and lays on the field in T-REX mode as I like to call it( rolling on the ground dazed with his hands up by his chest drooling and urinating on himself)…..that gives me a great night sleep!

19. jackdiesel says: Dec 14, 2010 6:28 PM

If I’m the Eagles I’d reply by asking him to run a crossing route. He is the next big Diva and I hope the Eagles sign him to a huge contract because he’s going to sink that franchise.

20. rugdaniels says: Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM

at least the guy’s surrounding himself with the right people. this is going to end well!

21. snccoach says: Dec 14, 2010 6:35 PM

Desean is a good receiver, but a little overrated. He wants elite receiving money without doing things that elite receivers are supposed to do. Only wants so many crossing routes, etc. Can’t run “go” routes all day. I’m with the poster above, incentive-based package.

22. bradwins says: Dec 14, 2010 6:42 PM

I like how the headline was written as if this is a bad thing. Wow. The guy wants to get paid. Does anyone not want to get paid?

23. zinnsskins8 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:44 PM

Pay him 10 million for every Super Bowl win that the Eagles have. that would come out to…..lets see…….carry the 2……..Then add the second super bowl…….about 0 dollars. hehehe.

24. db105 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:48 PM

thereisalwaysnextyear says:
    Dec 14, 2010 6:11 PM

Incentive based salaries are great until you get stat padding players. How about a QB that is only concerned about his QB rating? This QB will never throw a hail Mary pass and risk an interception. Take a sack instead of throwing an incomplete pass. A DE that won’t play the run or just rush the passer at any game situation.

25. bigbear12 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:48 PM

Running out of bounds on every punt return isn’t going to help him any.
    Still enjoy watching him drop into a fetal position when Ware was closing in on him.
    Clearly a top receiver.

26. mswravens says: Dec 14, 2010 6:49 PM

WOW!!! If that’s who he is hanging out with, I would cut him NOW!!! Someone needs to talk to this kid & get him right…ton of talent…would hate to see it flushed ala TO

27. dpbeardsley says: Dec 14, 2010 6:51 PM

Look, the man is clearly talented, but I don’t care for his punk attitude. I’m a huge eagles fan too, so it makes my stomach turn to know how much cash it’s going to take to keep him. And people…. He does run crossing routes.

28. rick1922 says: Dec 14, 2010 6:54 PM

DJ is 5-10 and 175 lbs if that one hit away from working in a supermarket.His mouth is faster then his body.

29. cowboys4life says: Dec 14, 2010 6:58 PM

You can only hope this guy gets his bell rung again. This time career ending. Yea, I just said it

30. chipwade says: Dec 14, 2010 7:12 PM

Desean hasn’t shown the maturity and durability to warrant a huge contract. Look at how Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Miles Austin, Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne, etc play the game and compose themselves.

These guys worked hard, played hard, and hard great attitudes. If he got paid more than any of those guys it would be a shame.

Jackson is fast, his QBs and coaches make him better than he is. Once his speed is gone(injury or age) he will be washed up. The above named players have a much more complete set of skills. Look how Andre Johnson played last night with a high ankle sprain. Amazing.

31. ditkaditkaditka says: Dec 14, 2010 7:23 PM

Gator arms is looking to get paid…

32. leftysmoke says: Dec 14, 2010 7:24 PM

What a little prick. Go across the middle, Jackson. Go across the middle.

33. muchmaligned says: Dec 14, 2010 7:25 PM

I hate the Eagles, but I love players who produce. I love them and they should get paid at the absolute highest level. Pay him. Those of you who think otherwise or post “diva” are delusional. You are not billionaire owners. You are not millionaire players. How is it that all of you are always posting “out of their pocketbooks?” Keep your asses on your couches, getting fatter and bitching about the success of others, cattle. Pay him.

34. dixon29 says: Dec 14, 2010 7:25 PM

Can’t blame the guy for wanting to get paid. He goes over the middle and his career could be over in a blink of an eye.

If he keeps doing his showboating routines, he will get blasted, sooner than later.

35. dallasux says: Dec 14, 2010 7:29 PM

zinnsskins8 says:
    Dec 14, 2010 6:28 PM

————————————————-

Well thats the Douchey-ist thing Ive heard today….Rooting for someone to get hurt is the most pathetic thing ever….What a sad, sad ass you are.

36. spizzy123 says: Dec 14, 2010 7:31 PM

It’s telling and rather funny that the saltiest comments seem to be coming from Redskins fans. Joking about hurting someone and wishing for him to be hurt. Fing losers. Stop worrying about Desean and worry about fixing your pathetic franchise.

Orlando Scandrick said it best. If you want him to stop showboating and dancing…keep him from scoring.

37. seahawkhuskyfan says: Dec 14, 2010 7:34 PM

What happens if he doesn’t get paid? What is the fallback plan? I am sure he has a degree right? Give me a break, all these guys should be happy they have a job. I get so tired of these guys, what else would they do? For once I would like to see the owners say, “ok, go find another job”
    They would only have to do it once!

38. giablommi says: Dec 14, 2010 7:40 PM

This guy is supertalented.

Regardless of that, he is quickly moving up the ranks of most unlikeable players in the NFL.

39. kingbattle says: Dec 14, 2010 7:44 PM

Let’s see, this guy is the fastest receiver in the league.. Proves year in and out that he’s a versitle threat.. He’s dual purpose meaning reciever and kick returner.. What else does he need to do in order to gain respect. You guys are disrespectful talking about health and ending careers.. He deserves to be paid… It’s simple, no he’s not an Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. But guess what, those guys aren’t a Desean Jackson..everything he’s not makes him everything he is… BEAST!!!

40. ronedde says: Dec 14, 2010 7:45 PM

@nceagle004
    I can’t stand idiots who say “just give him whatever he wants.” What kind of moron believes it is acceptable, let alone realistic, to allow employees to dictate their pay to employers? If owners gave every player “what they want” there would either be no NFL or game tickets would be more than you could afford on 3 years of your salary. Buy yourself a ticket for the clue bus!

41. bigbluefan1 says: Dec 14, 2010 7:50 PM

One good hit and he is done finished over

Hanging with TO I am sure the epukes are happy about that

42. cleverbob says: Dec 14, 2010 7:58 PM

zinnsskins8:

Good to know you’re such a classy guy. I guess that’s all Skins fans have to hope for these days.

43. mikea311 says: Dec 14, 2010 8:12 PM

once he loses a step he’s done. where as most other receivers can fill some kind of role. The only role he will fill is with steak and cheese.

44. bleedgreen says: Dec 14, 2010 8:19 PM

What do you expect him to say? I’m out to not make as much money as I can? You aren’t out to get as much money as possible at your job, even if someone else doing the same job at the same level is making more? C’mon now.

Haters gon’ hate.

45. bobbyhoying says: Dec 14, 2010 8:25 PM

Trade him even up for Fitzgerald. I’ll bet Vick would love it and Fitzgerald would be on a winner.

46. janvanflac says: Dec 14, 2010 8:28 PM

You might not like his antics, but very few players in the NFL can KO another team on a single play like he has on several occasions. Usually a division rival.

47. charliework says: Dec 14, 2010 8:41 PM

bigbluefan1 says: Dec 14, 2010 7:50 PM

Hanging with TO I am sure the epukes are happy about that
    —————————————————

“Epukes”? How is that even an insult? I’m not even kidding. I seriously want to know what synapse misfired in your syphilitic brain that caused you to come up with that. You took the first letter of the team name, then I assume some spittle trickled out of the corner of your mouth, as you added “pukes,” much to your delight. “Bwahaha! E-pukes. Harf, harf, harf.”

Here, let me give it a try. Uhh, G….dorks. G-dorks! Wow, I honestly feel like I should return my college degree for visiting the level of stupid that you normally occupy.

48. scoob766 says: Dec 14, 2010 8:44 PM

D Jack is frail. He gets concussions galore, I would say give him 3 or 4 years and he’s out of the NFL or has serious brain damage.

49. moochzilla says: Dec 14, 2010 8:47 PM

Wow, it’s almost as if they do their job for money.

Unlike all of us, who work for the absolute minimum we can get because we just love what we do and want to help the team/company.

Hypocrites.

50. dfeltz says: Dec 14, 2010 8:49 PM

This moron has, wait for it…..42 catches. “I’m gonna get paid!” He’s a punk who is fast. Good luck 180 pounder.

51. moochzilla says: Dec 14, 2010 8:51 PM

“What happens if he doesn’t get paid? What is the fallback plan?”

Kind of like T.O.’s – he gets himself dealt and then finds another team to pay him exactly what he wanted in the first place. And then the Eagles will be worse off, paying less money to players while making more money than ever off the fans. Because they keep selling out.

Player – wins
    Team – wins

The player and the team always win.

So, who loses? Oh, yeah. The fans.

Go ask Mickey Mantle or Jeffrey Lurie for a loan if you can’t pay your mortgage. What the heck do you care about the team’s finances?

52. spizzy123 says: Dec 14, 2010 8:51 PM

Big bear 12: I enjoyed watching him burn your team with 210 yards receiving you douche

53. dallascowboy08 says: Dec 14, 2010 8:57 PM

Jackson is a a##wipe. Learn how to speak before making comments. I only hope Karma comes back and gives you a career ending injury where someone has to hold your pen#s when you pi##.
    You are a bigger scumbag than Vick. Brain damage would be great you piece of Sh#t

54. scrapdawg12 says: Dec 14, 2010 8:58 PM

We love you here in Philly Desean but you are not worth being the highest paid player in the league at WR. You’re 5’10, 175 lbs. You’re a one trick pony and in a few years your body will break down. fitz, andre, are huge men and can take a beating. Your body however cannot.

55. phillybirds says: Dec 14, 2010 8:58 PM

Lets get this straight everyone… OBVIOUSLY he is not as good as Larry Fitz, Terrell Owens, Andre Johnson if this was a receiver competition but he will be rewarded for being possibly the leagues best playmaker. Whether he’s returning kicks, taking the ball in a reverse as a runningback, or getting wide open as a receiver. The man will be paid. Andy Reid has shown more affection for him than any player on his team. Sure he talked about McNabb a lot, drafted him as the qb, but Reid shows affection on the sideline for DJax and during interviews.

56. tuckrule91 says: Dec 14, 2010 9:08 PM

Great POTENTIAL, Terrible ATTITUDE and NO professionalism. He is definetely someone I wouldnt want on my team. All the complaining, the “pay me” attitude. No thanks..

57. jvw1982 says: Dec 14, 2010 9:24 PM

Eagles better enjoy this yr because those cheap bastards will not pay the going rate for a play maker at WR or QB……..If they were smart they would have locked Vick up already…….I expect them to loose both…….

58. tramo1 says: Dec 14, 2010 9:56 PM

After the cowboy game did you see this guy drooling over Vick.why do the black players worship this thug for. THE IDIOT FROM THE COWBOYS ASKING FORHIS AUTOGRAPH!!! The NFL is going down hill fast.

59. brownsclown says: Dec 14, 2010 9:56 PM

Last week DJax got 210 yards. Braylon “Hands of Stone” Edwards, the self proclaimed great JETS receiver, got 17 yards. Based on their current salaries it seems like Braylon owes the JETS a big refund!

60. max says: Dec 14, 2010 10:13 PM

WWBD?

Belichek would let him get paid somewhere else. So should Andy.

Pay for QBs and linemen — everyone else can be dumb and still be good at their job, and there’s always some big strong kid available for peanuts.

61. janvanflac says: Dec 14, 2010 10:14 PM

where does he say that he wants to be the highest paid receiver in the nfl? nowhere. he just wants to get paid. fair enough.

oh…and Dallas fans…and Redskins fans…he did, indeed, sting your asses this year.

62. FinFan68 says: Dec 14, 2010 10:15 PM

Kid is just a punk. He is worthy of a decent contract, but why should he get paid if he is one hit away from his couch? There have been some that justify a large contract is justified because he might get hurt. If that is the case, why pay someone for nothing. He wouldn’t sign unless there is a big bonus. Incentives ensure nobody gets screwed but players want money for nothing.

63. trollaikman8 says: Dec 14, 2010 10:47 PM

A glamorized Todd Pinkston??!?

This guy won’t last. If you’re small, you better tough as hell like Hines Ward and Steve Smith (the crazy Steve Smith).

Roscoe Parrish 2.0. No way the bEagles pay him what he thinks he’s worth.

Get the driveway ready for some pilates.

64. backindasaddle says: Dec 14, 2010 11:11 PM

I don’t think there is any receiver I want to see get ultra-reamed by a missile shot style safety hit in the ribs more than this despicable little turd. There is absolutely no humility, no class and absolutely no shutting him up. He’s just a dirty little piece of street trash with a really big friggin mouth and I hope somebody knocks his teeth down his throat the next time he opens his big mouth. I’d love to see him forcibly “taught” some humility.

65. chipwade says: Dec 15, 2010 1:13 AM

Maybe he should be lifting weights instead of hanging out with T.O. and Ocho. DJax needs a PR coach to make is image better. This is someone who children look up to and he is acting like a fool.

It was ridiculous to see Vick(of all people) giving a calm well spoken post game interview and Jackson is in the background being an ass. He’s lucky he is fast and good at football. He better hope that doesn’t end any time soon.

66. fellorio says: Dec 15, 2010 1:30 AM

cowboys4life says: Dec 14, 2010 6:58 PM

———————————————————-
    Perish Cox is starting Sunday;
    Remember the big threat you made?

67. fellorio says: Dec 15, 2010 1:42 AM

janvanflac says: Dec 14, 2010 8:28 PM

———————————————————
    That is exactly what is going on here.

Redskins,Giants,Cowboys have all been victimized by Jackson, and some of their fans are too emotionally immature to handle it.

Poor babies. It’s not fair.

68. east96st says: Dec 15, 2010 2:21 AM

I would be shocked to see the Eagles pay him big bucks. Hate to give them credit for anything, but Philly is smart with their money and whenever one of their players makes too much noise about money, the Eagles trade them away and few of them ever do well after they leave. Cowboys fans might want to hold off on the venom, because I could easily see Jerruh paying this guy top dollar. Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Philly pick Dallas’ pocket for a bunch of draft picks and watch DeSean’s career end with Dallas after another concussion or two.

69. filmortonyc says: Dec 15, 2010 4:05 AM

Thats funny because he hired Drew Rosenhaus last summer and the word is he’s been running around telling folks Drew is going to get him $30m g.

70. bleedgreen says: Dec 15, 2010 8:39 AM

filmortonyc says: Dec 15, 2010 4:05 AM

——————–

$30 million over 7 years maybe. Hell $30 million over 5 years isn’t a bad deal. Its lower than Fitzgerald’s deal, after all.

71. moochzilla says: Dec 15, 2010 9:12 AM

You guys make me laugh. Is Jackson a speed guy who is smallish? Sure, no doubt. Are there risks to paying a guy like that big money? Sure!

But the fact is he’s the focal point of a big play offense. He didn’t FORCE Reid and Marty to develop a system that got him the ball in space and relied on big plays. He didn’t FORCE Andy to throw the ball far more times than he runs it.

The Eagles made a DECISION to OVER-RELY on DeSean Jackson. Once you do that, you have to pay the man.

You made him what he is. If he has leverage, it’s only because your plan for WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES dictated it.

So be an adult, be a businessman. Pay the guy based on his importance to the team. The importance that you – as owner, coach, coordinator – decided he would have.

We would have gone back to the SB with T.O. that second year. Instead we got crushed.

And did your ticket prices go down because they didn’t pay T.O.? Mine didn’t!

72. bedmanokc says: Dec 15, 2010 9:14 AM

Uh, you mean the guy who said recently that he doesnt want to go across the middle? THAT MEshawn Jackson? Hey DJ: You are a tiny dude that is one Ray Lewis away from drinking your food the rest of your life. STFU! Eat a steak and drink a shake, because people are liking you less and less.

73. moochzilla says: Dec 15, 2010 9:14 AM

Jackson is too small. We need an awesome big WR like superstars David Boston, Reggie Rembert, or Maurice Stovall.

I mean, those guys just tore it up in the pros. And they never, ever get hurt.

74. fastspecv says: Dec 15, 2010 9:45 AM

Lol at delusional Eagles fans on here. DJ stung our asses? About time he finally did it. Only took him how many games to do so? And lmao at the Eagles fans saying how the divisional opponents are butt hurt. The Eagles should be butt hurt by only beating the Cowboys by a whopping 3 points with Jon Kitna leading the team! Come and talk to us when you actually beat us when the game actuallyeans something. Knocked your butts out of winning the division last year and knocked your butts out of the playoffs and you guys ate running around because you beat us with an interm coach, backup QB, and no shot at us making the playoffs. Yeah, quality win guys, quality win. :rolleyes:

75. cleverbob says: Dec 15, 2010 9:46 AM

They’ll try to lock him up long term with a respectable chunk up front, low base salaries and plenty of escalators. DeSean/Drew will get a big flashy number to boast about, and the Eagles will get maneuverability. Otherwise they’re going to have trouble signing Vick and saving room for Maclin and McCoy in a few years.

The funny thing is that most of the venom being spewed in the comments is from fans of NFCE teams, all of whom would gladly take him on their own team.

76. cowboys4life says: Dec 15, 2010 1:22 PM

Man Eagle fans are just a$$ clowns. They say it’s wrong to cheer for a player to get hurt, remember when Michael Irvin’s career was ended, eagle fans cheered. Jackson will get his lights turned out, hopefully by a cowboy.And Eagle fans before you start talking trash about beating the cowboys, remember we beat you 3 times last year, once in the playoffs, so in retrospect you had 2 chances to prepare for us and still couldn’t get the job done. I know, I know you had McNabb. Excuses are eagle fans, they all stink LOL . Brag away eagle fans Brag away, The team should be called the “Philadelphia almost”

77. cleverbob says: Dec 15, 2010 8:18 PM

Just because some fans cheered Irvin being hurt 15 years ago doesn’t excuse you clowns for being asses. Relativism is for people without strong convictions. Eagles, Cowboys, football, everything aside – you should be ashamed of yourself.