Steve Spagnuolo still won’t say the “P” word

Steve Spagnuolo

It’s hard not to admire the job Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has done this season.

He’s building the organization like the old team he worked for in New York — from the inside out.  We’ve appreciated that he’s never been particularly impressed or happy the team is around .500, often remarking the Rams are “average.”   With the biggest three weeks of Rams football in six years on tap, Spagnuolo still won’t talk about the playoffs.

“Yeah, I’m having a hard time with that right now because of {Sunday’s loss to the Saints],” Spagnuolo said via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “What I have a hard time with is it’s like we haven’t lost any ground, but we want to gain some ground. That’s where we’re at. I think the team feels that way, too.”

Spagnuolo’s goals are bigger.  Whether the Rams make the playoffs or not, this year is about going in the right direction.  He knows an 8-8 team won’t usually make the playoffs, much less win championships.   Eight wins will likely be enough for a NFC West title this year, though.

They play in-state rival Kansas City on Sunday, then the 49ers and Seahawks.  Local columnists like Bernie Miklasz are practically giddy with anticipation.

“The atmosphere should be lively, fueled by playoff hopes, Christmas Week spirit, the KC-STL rivalry, and perhaps by the consumption of cold adult beverages in the urban tailgate settings around The Ed,” Miklasz writes.

Spagnuolo may not be too impressed with his squad yet, but meaningful games late in December is all a Rams fan could ask for.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams
11 Responses to “Steve Spagnuolo still won’t say the “P” word”
  1. hobartbaker says: Dec 14, 2010 4:04 PM

Josh McDaniels gets eviscerated for losing 17 games in his first two seasons as a head coach. Spags is a god for losing 22 over the same time period. All in the way you look at it, I suppose.

2. brewcrewchamps says: Dec 14, 2010 4:31 PM

hobartbaker says: Dec 14, 2010 4:04 PM

==================

McDaniels traded away all the talent he inherited and wrecked a team. Spags inherited no talent and has made a team. It’s not just the way you look at it, it’s using your brain to think logically.

3. uclabruininstlouis says: Dec 14, 2010 5:11 PM

I agree with brewcrew. Coach Spags has been both truthful and humble from day 1. I certainly can’t speak for other cities but St. Louis appreciates honesty and forthrightness.
    We were told that the Rams were awful (and they were) but that the new team was going to try to fix it, which is exactly what they’re doing. There don’t seem to be many ego problems with the Rams and that is a GOOD thing.

4. igottz5onit says: Dec 14, 2010 5:37 PM

I thought the “P” word was Tom Brady.

5. rammerray says: Dec 14, 2010 6:37 PM

RAMS fan here. I’m with Coach Spags. Focus on that next year. This year, at least try to get to .500. Only 2 more games to win and you’ll be there.

6. pioliforprez says: Dec 14, 2010 6:49 PM

better than that jagoff rex ryan declaring he was gonna win the superbowl in his first year (…ok i don’t know if he actually said that but its the general attitude im getting at)

7. sdchargers25 says: Dec 15, 2010 12:03 AM

PLEASE BEAT THE CHIEFS!!!

8. descendency says: Dec 15, 2010 12:31 AM

@igottz5onit

Patriot? Playmaker?P-All Time Greatest QB?

Those are all great choices for Tom Brady.

9. blackcatnfl says: Dec 15, 2010 7:36 AM

*S*teve *S*pagnuolo *s*hould *s*kip to the *S*-word: *S*uperbowl! Rex Ryan *s*hould *s*hutu*P*.

10. macjacmccoy says: Dec 15, 2010 12:52 PM

And just think after the end of last season and the beggining of this season.you guys at PFT were talking about how he should be on the hot seat and how he could be fired before the season was even over because how bad a job he was doing and how the team wasnt only seeing no progress but was getting worse.

11. ramsfan123 says: Dec 15, 2010 11:46 PM

Damn straight, I’m pleased to be competing at this level. I have been a loyal Rams fan for 33 years, and a coaches job is to develop the players he inherits, draft wisely, integrate those choices into the team dynamic, and build for the future, even when you are the Patriots,,, this is your job. This coach has made me smile this year, this QB looks like the real deal, and I live about 2 miles from Jerry Jones house of pain, and my Rams have a better record than the Cowboys,, so yea,, I’m smiling, and we have a shot at a playoff spot. We have a pass rush, a QB, a stud RB, and a young stud LB! Good Times!! (All I want for Christmas is a good WR, and some db’s)