Mike Vick wants to own a dog again

Michael Vick

The sentence imposed on Eagles quarterback Mike Vick for conspiracy to engage in gambling and dogfighting includes a lifetime ban on owning a dog.

He’s now politicking for a chance to change that specific aspect of the decision.  In an interview with The Grio, Vick says that he thinks owning a dog would help his “rehabilitation.”

I would love to have another dog in the future,” Vick said.  “I think it would be a big step for me in the rehabilitation process, I think just to have a pet in my household and to show people that I genuinely care, and my love and my passion for animals, I think it would be outstanding.  And if I ever have that opportunity again, I won’t take it for granted.”

(When Vick uses uses the term “rehabilitation,” he’s apparently not talking about his rehabilitation from a lifestyle that violated multiple state and federal laws.  It seems that he’s talking about the “rehabilitation” of his image.)

Vick also revisited the notion that he fought dogs only because he grew up doing it, and because no one ever told him it was wrong.

“I hate to use our culture as an excuse, but it is what it is,” Vick said.  “And that’s what happened and that’s the way I thought about it growing up, that this is something we do.  I love animals.  I love dogs.  I love birds.  I love all types of animals.  But this was just the way we was brought up.”

The next question was a great one, in our view — whether anything intrinsically told Vick that it was wrong to do what he did.

“There was nothing that ever told me it wasn’t right,” Vick said.  “No one ever told me it was the wrong thing to do.”

Fine, but that doesn’t explain the fact that his dogfighting operation was housed on a remote piece of property in rural Virginia, in sheds that were painted black, presumably to conceal them.  Why would they need to be hidden if “nothing ever told me it wasn’t right”?

The most compelling moment of the interview came when Vick was asked what Mike Vick circa 2010 would tell Mike Vick circa 2006.

“That Mike probably wouldn’t listen to nothing that I had to say,” Vick said.

If that dogfighting operation had never been accidentally found during a drug bust of one of Vick’s cousins, we’re convinced that the 2010 Mike would be no different than the 2006 Mike.

Thus, he’s far better off that he was caught.  He’s a better player than he ever was, and he seems to be genuinely maturing.  But we detected lingering shadows of 2006 Mike in some of 2010 Mike’s answers to The Grio, and it’s all the more reason for the Eagles to wait and see whether 2010 Mike can get through the 2011 offseason unscathed before writing him an eight-figure check.

Permalink 166 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
166 Responses to “Mike Vick wants to own a dog again”
  1. mamueller says: Dec 15, 2010 1:06 PM

Wait a minute on your last article about the Bucs you said it was the coaches fault if a player gets into trouble off the field, but now it’s Mike Vick’s fault? I’m confused. Maybe you should make up your mind about who you’re gonna blame. And i’m sure if you would’ve been raised in the area Vick is from you probably wouldn’t think dog fighting is all that terrible. I’m not saying that he’s not responsible, he is. He messed up BIG and lost all of his money and spent a year and a half in jail. LET IT GO!!! He’s paid for what he’s done. Let him play football and move on. you need to grow up, seriously

2. footballrulz says: Dec 15, 2010 1:08 PM

Buy a goldfish Mike. Good job on the field–do just as good a job off the field. Leave the dogs alone. You’ve lost the privilege to own a dog.

3. joetoronto says: Dec 15, 2010 1:09 PM

And there you have it. It’s not his fault and it never was.

The guy STILL doesn’t get it, wow.

4. cjjetsfan says: Dec 15, 2010 1:10 PM

Vick so good even dogs be cheering for him.

5. rpiotr01 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:10 PM

No more dogs or other pets for Mike Vick. Sorry.

If he’s really genuine he should consider volunteering at an animal shelter, or doing work for a breed rescue organization. I know he’s still in debt so making large cash donations to such groups is out of the question, but if he wants contact with dogs again volunteering is a good way of doing it.

6. bannedforlife says: Dec 15, 2010 1:11 PM

He can call his new pet “Little Jerry”

7. foobarfoofoo says: Dec 15, 2010 1:12 PM

this guy being so superficially pc until he signs his mega deal makes me wanna vomit right away.

Think dude’s changed? Yeah, sure.

Make him play a decent defense and they gonna turn him back to what he still is: a one-dimensional qb.

8. skins23 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:13 PM

This just in: Dogs everywhere have buried themselves in back yards after hearing this statement.

9. gcsuk says: Dec 15, 2010 1:13 PM

Yeah, his “love and passion for animals.” That really showed a few years ago.

Oh wait, he got busted for running a gambling ring, not torturing and killing dogs. I remember that now.

10. thirdngoal says: Dec 15, 2010 1:13 PM

Maybe Vick should work in an animal shelter and see some of the things that people do to dogs and help bring an animal back to normal before he’s givin the chance to own one. Talk is cheap and so far that’s all I see

11. finfanbernie says: Dec 15, 2010 1:15 PM

Nothing changes over night. You must not know an alcoholic. He has done very well but will have to fight hard to keep himself out of trouble seeing that even his family members could be the very posion to bring him down. There is one point that you are missing, for a man to stand there and tell you that no one including himself could have changed him in 2006 is a huge step in the right direction. Keep hating on Vick. This only makes him try harder and I would love to see what he can do if he remains focused!

12. xtb3 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:16 PM

Vick is right and convicted pedophiles also should be given access to young boys – to help their rehabiliation of course!

13. hobartbaker says: Dec 15, 2010 1:16 PM

Several dogs asked for their opinion on the street covered their heads with their paws and broke into a spontaneous rendition of “Who let the Vicks out, Woof, Woof, Who let the Vicks out?”.

14. citizenstrange says: Dec 15, 2010 1:17 PM

That’s kind of pushing it.

15. knucklebucket says: Dec 15, 2010 1:17 PM

Oh hell no! Come on man, you lost your right to own a dog after you electricuted them in a bath tub in addition to other creative ways of killing them. Leave it alone!

16. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter says: Dec 15, 2010 1:17 PM

It cannot go worse than the pony Peter Griffen was saving for Meg’s birthday.

17. blackngoldmachine says: Dec 15, 2010 1:17 PM

If I were the judge who imposed the sentence, I would start him off with some goldfish or hamsters or something. Maybe even an NFL wide reciever, you know, just to see how he does.

18. nogoodell says: Dec 15, 2010 1:18 PM

perhaps because no one taught the young black man how to grow up like a man.. no father figure..

no one would even teach him how to throw like a white QB, instead teaching him to look for one WR, then run

It took 7 years for someone to step forward, say act like a man, and teach him how to throw and act like a QB

Dog fighting is part of a large community and he fell into that..

19. fordman84 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:18 PM

He is rehabbed only until he gets back into feeling “untouchable” again. He was the top paid athlete, on video game covers, magazine covers, everyone loved him and he thought he could do no wrong. His reality check might have saved him, but I’m not sure he can keep his head below the clouds again. I’ve seen people do it, so I hope he can, but a rehab that sticks even when everything reverts back to the way it was before is tough to do.

I hope he does get the fame and fortunes he lost. I also hope he can remain grounded forever when that happens. Glad he is at least getting that shot.

Someone in the Philly PR dept should tell him to avoid those questions though. Nothing good can come of talking about that stuff right now.

20. amontypython says: Dec 15, 2010 1:19 PM

Maybe if you pay attention, Vick has said getting caught and going to jail was the best thing that ever happen to him. He has said if it wasn’t for jail he never would have stopped.

21. bspurloc says: Dec 15, 2010 1:19 PM

he would be better off if he stopped talking about the subject in this direction.
    get a pet gorilla or something that will fight back.

22. strategerie says: Dec 15, 2010 1:21 PM

He’s not rehabilitated. Not at all. He didn’t get one minute of therapy for his crimes against the dogs in his care. All Vick thinks about is a) money, and b) his “image”. He’s convinced that he’s pulled it off.

I’m looking forward to this whole thing blowing up in Reid and Goodell’s faces, and I wonder how they will react in response. Considering the fact multiple media sources have mentioned both parties either phoning or texting with Vick multiple times per week, they’re waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Personal to Mssrs. Reid and Goodell: The other shoe just dropped, guys. How will you handle this?

23. bennybob says: Dec 15, 2010 1:22 PM

Someone really needs to get him a new PR firm. This guy has a talent for always wording things the wrong way.

24. roddy84 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:22 PM

Of course you detected 2006 in Vick. Because you’re looking for trouble where none presently exists. It’s what you press predators do…

25. kingbattle says: Dec 15, 2010 1:23 PM

Mike Vick is the man……. Brady is too…

26. cav2ya says: Dec 15, 2010 1:23 PM

So when you write
    “When Vick uses uses the term “rehabilitation,” he’s apparently not talking about his rehabilitation from a lifestyle that violated multiple state and federal laws. It seems that he’s talking about the “rehabilitation” of his image.

we should all forgive you for being redundant redundant by the third word of the sentence?

27. touchdownroddywhite says: Dec 15, 2010 1:24 PM

Knowing something is illegal is different from knowing something is wrong. All those rich people who wrote checks to support the cause for Proposition 19 in California knew smoking, growing, and selling marijuana is illegal. They didn’t think it was wrong though, obviously.

And he’s probably being truthful about being brought up around it. Wasn’t it Dione Sanders who said this kind of thing goes on WAY more than anybody can imagine?(Yes, I paraphrased, but his point was that this is a prevalent activity in our country)

I love pitbulls, and what he did has helped further demonize an animal that doesn’t deserve the negative attention it gets at the hands of other people. I’m a fan of Vick, but I’d be pissed if he was allowed to own pitbulls simply because of the precedent it would set with future offenders.

Let him own a chihuahua. Takes a real man to love one of those obnoxious little things, and I doubt chihuahua fights would really be that interesting.

28. xpxkx says: Dec 15, 2010 1:26 PM

so THAT’S why he hid everything…cause he didn’t know it was wrong…that makes sense…god forbid ANY reporter ANYWHERE point out this small little detail to him….way to have balls guys

29. kevinzeemail says: Dec 15, 2010 1:26 PM

Enough with the Painted-Black Sheds! Correct me if I’m wrong, but rural Virginia is dotted with painted-black sheds and barns. Tobacco perhaps? Anyhow I think it’s unfair to continuously imply that there was an attempt to conceal buildings by painting them black. It’s a normal outbuilding color in that part of the country!

30. benjaminbreeg11 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:26 PM

I may actually be starting to believe this guy. Maybe this is genuine. I’d love that to be the case.

31. sirlawrenceofherlabia says: Dec 15, 2010 1:26 PM

“That Mike probably wouldn’t listen to nothing that I had to say”

Thats a HS Diploma and some college courses right there, folks.

32. zaggs says: Dec 15, 2010 1:26 PM

Yes and having a little child would help the rehabilitation of a pedophile.

33. livenbreathefootball says: Dec 15, 2010 1:27 PM

Michael Vick is right back to where he was before he got busted. “I am a hot shot NFL quarterback, I can do whatever I want.” He has not learned one darn thing.

If someone truly loves animals, they don’t need to be told that electrocuting them or slamming them on the ground until dead is wrong. They know it already.

34. iluvwikileaks says: Dec 15, 2010 1:28 PM

Who’s gonna be that lucky dog? lol

35. elroyjetsson says: Dec 15, 2010 1:28 PM

Bernie Madoff wants to manage a hedge fund again

36. steelerdynasty2010 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:30 PM

yikes! i got nothin on this one….ok, i’m lying…i got lots, but i’ll try to keep it short. before everyone gets all bent outta shape about him saying no one told him it was wrong. it’s probably true, i’d imagine that people doing illegal things rarely sit around and lament about how “bad” what they’re doing actually is. that said, i think he goes a bit far in saying that despite that, he never himself formed any ideas that his actions were wrong. i’ll go ahead and call BS on that. but think about it this way:
    Pot smokers think it’s ok to smoke pot. Despite the fact that many people think it’s wrong and would willingly tell any pot smoker as much, they continue to do it. They make many attempts to conceal their use ranging from cologne, to eye drops, to “whizzinators”, etc. because it’s definitely illegal (whether they support the law or not). i took this example the same way. perfectly believable that he did not grow up in an environment where dog fighting was looked down upon or even discouraged. he very well may have been brought up with it around him, HOWEVER, it being illegal does not necessarily mean that it was “wrong” to him (in his mind) much the same way a pot smoker wouldnt necessarily agree with someone who said pot was bad.
    as many of his detractors will tell you, it wasnt so long ago that this whole saga was fresh news. so i think we should be very measured in our acceptance of this “new” Vick we are seeing. Not too enamoured, and not overly skeptical (although modest quantities of both are warranted). he’s not going to be completely changed/rehabilitated/MATURED tomorrow, next week, or even next year. it’s going to take time. he’s got the rest of his life to show/prove what kind of man he will become. Even for those who will continue to hold him captive to his past, in order for him to GROW, he must realize that they’re hangups regarding his past are their burdens and not his. he must remain focused on the man he SAYS he wants to be.
    btw, he must be back on the MARY JANE if he thinks he should ever own another dog. I wouldnt support that anymore than i support rehabilitated child molesters becoming kindergarten teachers….even if they’re actually rehabilitated (whatever that means).

37. rando74 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:31 PM

Dear Mike,

We think we speak for everyone when we say “Please go with a cat.”

Sincerely,

Snoopy, Benji, and Lassie

38. gamustangdude says: Dec 15, 2010 1:33 PM

Hey Vick, Shut the Hell up!!! You’re making it hard for me to defend you here. Go read the playbook please!!!

39. rugdog100 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:37 PM

Dogs all over the world are now hiding under the sofa…

40. steelersmichele says: Dec 15, 2010 1:38 PM

As much as I’m pulling for Vick and want him to succeed and stay out of trouble (meaning I’m hoping he’s changed for the better) I think getting a dog is out of the question right now.

And considering part of his punishment doesn’t allow him to own a dog, he shouldn’t even be thinking about it.

41. mamueller says: Dec 15, 2010 1:38 PM

Yeah he’s not rehabilitated he only spent a year and a half in Levinworth, that’s a real F*CKING playground isn’t it. and he lost what $125 million. Yeah that didn’t bother him at all. no way he’s rehabilitated, He’s a rich black pro football player they’re all liars. (all the above is sarcasm, if you’re too stupid to realize it) I say give him a dog. He’s not gonna hurt it with everyone watching him is he? Even if you think he is faking it, which i doubt he is, he’s not an idiot, he’s not gonna beat or kill a dog that everyone knows he has. let’s think here people.

42. bbrophy1 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:39 PM

The 2006 and 2010 Mike Vick’s are no longer relevent to Mike Vick owning a dog again. It’s the 2020 or 2030 Mike Vick that is out of football and potentially still (or again) in debt that is relevent to the decision that he never again own a dog. This was a side business of his and he cannot be allowed to be in a position to do it again.

43. steelersmichele says: Dec 15, 2010 1:39 PM

Although I do have one question: what if he moves in with a girlfriend or get married and she owns a dog. Would they be able to keep the dog or be forced to give it away?

44. wjf010 says: Dec 15, 2010 1:41 PM

I’ll pitch in and help by him the meanest pitbull on the planet – trained to go for the jugular.

That would be justice.

45. rickandj says: Dec 15, 2010 1:42 PM

Kudos thirdngoal, I was going to go on the same Hell No rant as most of the others on here. But your suggestion of allowing him to work at an animal shelter would be so much more productive. I hope if this issue ever goes to a judge, that they are half as smart as you.

46. nygiantstones says: Dec 15, 2010 1:43 PM

“I want to own a financial services firm again.” -Bernie Madoff

47. rcali says: Dec 15, 2010 1:44 PM

How about we start with a stuffed dog?

48. gcsuk says: Dec 15, 2010 1:45 PM

@finfanbernie
    Having spent many, MANY years dealing with an alcoholic in my house, they finally sobered up. She has not touched a drink in almost 3 years. She has said many times if she were to drink again, she would be back to her old ways.

An alcoholic knows that they CANNOT come in contact with what brought them down. If Vick doesn’t realize that he has lost that right by HIS OWN ACTIONS, then he has less of a clue than I thought in the first place.

49. steelersmichele says: Dec 15, 2010 1:47 PM

gypjet says: And in other news, QB Ben in Pittsburgh wants a bunch of drunk teenage girls to take care of his housekeeping.

Thanks for including the Steelers and Ben in a completely unrelated article–must mean he is always on your mind…

50. abninf says: Dec 15, 2010 1:52 PM

I’m glad he found God, except when he’s at clubs and people he isn’t supposed to be with get shot. I’m glad he smokes herbal incense instead of weed during the season now. But no dogs for you, Ron Mexico.

51. deweyaxewound says: Dec 15, 2010 1:54 PM

kevinzeemail says:
    Dec 15, 2010 1:26 PM
    ______________________________

Yes, UNFAIR!!

Especially because we have all those other instances of Vick’s honesty immediately after this first came to light…

52. flyinhighwithvick says: Dec 15, 2010 2:01 PM

Leave the guy alone already.

53. realitypolice says: Dec 15, 2010 2:02 PM

mamueller says:
    Dec 15, 2010 1:38 PM

================

Yes, because everyone who commits a crime and goes to jail comes out completely rehabilitated and never, ever, gets into trouble again.

*eyes rolling*

54. yashraba says: Dec 15, 2010 2:03 PM

“There was nothing that ever told me it wasn’t right,”

using dogs as property, caging them, working them to exhaustion for personal financial gain, and killing them once they have ceased to produce you any income while removing all of their rights as living creatures never seemed wrong to you?

You would have made a helluva plantation owner Mr Vick

you sir, have learned absolutely nothing except how to project a positive image and do damage control.

55. FinFan68 says: Dec 15, 2010 2:04 PM

This is getting comical. Mike Vick did some horrible things and he has paid a price for some of them. To actually believe he is “rehabilitated” is very naive. Just watching him and listening to his words, it seems to me that there is some remorse. What is he remorseful for…doing the deeds or getting caught? My bet would be on the latter. He is playing like the guy we expected to see after the draft. Andy Reid & company deserve a lot of credit for helping him get better on the field. The off field stuff still seems to be simmering just under the surface. I don’t think he really gets it, but he is saying and doing enough to rehab his image and get big $$. His production will get him $ in a new contract but his image rehab could get him much more in indorsements. That is all he is trying to do. Once the ability to make money is gone, I believe he will revert back to the “old” Mike Vick. It is about money not change. Most of you guys would give up women for the next 5 years in order to get the money he could get…it just means you are willing to do something in order to get something; it doesn’t mean you have made a profound change

56. rcunningham says: Dec 15, 2010 2:04 PM

The only reason people think Vick is changed is because he’s performing well on the field.

Seriously.

57. CT Pats Fan says: Dec 15, 2010 2:04 PM

In unrelated news, Mark Chmura wants to start hosting teenage sleepovers again.

58. krow101 says: Dec 15, 2010 2:06 PM

Only in Philadelphia could a guy who tortured animals to death be loved.

59. acerockefellar says: Dec 15, 2010 2:06 PM

I dont know why mike vick isnt aloud to have a dog.

The judge should have MADE vick keep a pet dog. That would make him appreciate animals and dogs much more when you have one as a pet.

60. canadianvikingfaniii says: Dec 15, 2010 2:07 PM

Let him have one, I doubt he will be cruel to it or fight dogs anymore anyway..

61. nogoodell says: Dec 15, 2010 2:08 PM

I’m sure 90% of the people still complaining about Vick are middle aged white men who either 1) think every time a black male commits a crime it must be the norm or 2) hate Philly

Worthlisberger rapes women, serves no time, basically gets a pass by the largest football audience in America

Vick killed dogs, served over a year in jail, comes out and is still a criminal. Despite the time and effort he has put in to right a wrong.. of course, I’m sure he’s only doing it because of the PR

Let he cast the last stone

62. drshakedown74 says: Dec 15, 2010 2:09 PM

They asked him if he misses having a dog…..and he said it would be nice to have one for his girls again….this has been blown up.

63. tmfchiefs says: Dec 15, 2010 2:11 PM

@touchdownroddywhite

Actually…about the funniest thing I’ve ever seen was two Yorkies going at it. Neither one got hurt…I broke it up after about 10 seconds. They were fighting over a rubber bone. But it was pretty damn funny…LOL. So I could see where Chihuahua fights would draw a crowd. Even if the crowd consisted of Paris Hilton and her skanky friends.

64. iluvwikileaks says: Dec 15, 2010 2:13 PM

Ha! I also love how some Eagles fans try to make the topic about Big Ben.

It reminds me of how hockey fans of other teams instantly go after Crosby when their own team and players fail.

When the dust settles, it’s guys like Big Ben and Sid holding awards and titles. The others just fade into the wallpaper:)

65. jerruhjones says: Dec 15, 2010 2:13 PM

You want a dog?…now? C’mon man!

66. drshakedown74 says: Dec 15, 2010 2:14 PM

Just wait all you Giants fans. You can bring your pent up anger out on Sunday: Dog killer this, Mean person that…….his play will shut you up again, or at least Mannings inability to slide….one of the two. Oh, and LaSean is gunna run for a buck fifty this weekend in your half-a-home stadium!!!!

67. FinFan68 says: Dec 15, 2010 2:15 PM

It is possible that he has indeed seen the error of his ways, but it is more likely that these are just business decisions and therefore not necessarily permanent.

68. eaglelover1 says: Dec 15, 2010 2:15 PM

See this is why people should research what they read and hear prior to responding. A question was asked if would like to own a dog again and he answered that question. When an ignorant person is given a forum to spew hate and ignorance he will.

I am going to go with the ignorance on this thread and say that Rapliberger is no longer allowed within a 100 yards of any establishment that serves alcohol and has female patrons under the age of 40 and has restrooms. Brett Favre can no longer own a cell phone with a camera and can no longer be around female reporters that look like younger versions of his wife. Favre is also not allowed to have asprin or any other type of pain reliever. Bats and knives should be kept away from Ray Lewis, for when he is around these things, people have ended up MURDERED. Stallworth is not allowed behind the wheel of a car and cannot have a drink of alcohol.

Most of the people on this thread or that read the articles on this page should not be allowed to do their own taxes ever again. The writer of this article should be forced to read decent literature for an hour a day for the rest of his life.

Good day people I will be here tommorrow at the same time.

69. Deb says: Dec 15, 2010 2:19 PM

“There was nothing that ever told me it wasn’t right.” I doubt that. All evidence indicates normal humans are born with an intrinsic sense of right and wrong. If “nothing” had told him his activities were wrong, he wouldn’t have hidden them. He seems to have come a long way, but still can’t acknowledge that deep down, he knew at the time what he was doing was heinous.

Vick is a phenomenal athlete and seems sincere in his efforts to reform. My concern is that the public has re-embraced him perhaps too fast. He’s again experiencing the level of adulation that contributed to his downfall. Suggesting he should bring a dog into his care makes it seem his public rehab may have outpaced his private growth.

70. drshakedown74 says: Dec 15, 2010 2:20 PM

I used to do stupid crap…..I don’t anymore ’cause I have grown up and learned a few things……I think everyone is a bit like me. Vicks case is an extreme one, but what makes him any different than us? I used to drive drunk waaay too much, I got a DUI and it made me think of the innocent people I could hurt, not to mention myself….so I stopped. Sometimes the law sets you straight in the head, sometimes outside forces have to return you to a state of sanity.

71. huskerguy says: Dec 15, 2010 2:21 PM

Man… maybe that is what all the rapists can say… “No one told me it was wrong”. So now let him have a girlfriend…

Sheesh… buy a cat.

No chickens though.

72. mfclock says: Dec 15, 2010 2:22 PM

here we go again with those damn dogs. it’s like vick is trying to be like oj simpson or something. when oj got off, he should have disappeared from the spotlight but noooooooo dude kept messing up, giving people a reason to talk about him. Now here’s vick, same stuff – if i was vick i would remove any word associated with dog from my vocabulary.

73. duanethomas says: Dec 15, 2010 2:31 PM

You continue to slant every story on the way you want them to be. Like taking your 10 yr old to the HOF this summer and havent a awkward moment at the OJ bust. LIAR. Your son doesnt know what OJ did and he was in there for being a great running back. Period Now you’re “seeing” 2006 in that statement and The Eagles are waiting….they are waiting on the CBA and not on him. If it was your way, you would have to be perfect to play in The NFL and if you make 1 mistake it over. You are an idiot.

74. kolbfan says: Dec 15, 2010 2:33 PM

Yawn.
    Old topic, recycled story.
    This is only popular because the Eagles are winning and it will continue.
    Are you over it yet people? The dude did do his time in freakin Leavenworth Fed Prison.
    Yawn

75. enrgy2burn says: Dec 15, 2010 2:34 PM

More proof that Vick just doesn’t get it. His ‘nobody told me’ excuse is absolutely the most pathetic answer he could give. If he was SO convined what he was doing wasn’t wrong then why did he deny the existence of the dog fighting and breeding facilities… I guess because maybe nobody ever told him that lying was wrong either… See how convenient that excuse is!!!

And for all of you Vick apologists out there, please do your homework and know what you’re talking about before you keep running the ‘paid his debt’ line. That is a load of sh-t! He never did 1 day of time for killing animals… that’s right, NOT ONE SINGLE DAY!!! He can thank Mr. Gerald Poindexter for that gift (in my opinion, Poindexter is either an avid Vick fan and/or an avid dog fighting fan and quite possibly, something worse). Poindexter had an affidavit signed by Vick admitting to the killing of at least 8 dogs and Poindexter got an indictment on a single count which term ran cancurrently with his interstate gambling conviction (the max. penalty for animal abuse was/is 5 years per animal).

76. childressrulz says: Dec 15, 2010 2:37 PM

This sounds like a really bad idea. However the chances of him getting the ruling overturned is pretty slim. Most people who abuse animals don’t get to own them again.

77. lucky5927 says: Dec 15, 2010 2:51 PM

Is this the equivalent of taking a pedophile to chucky-cheese or a sex addict to a strip club? Not quite… but its still dangerous territory. especially for a guy who “needs to be told” that fighting dogs is wrong, despite his efforts to conceal it. Way to go Roger… way to give a second chance to a guy who obviously doesn’t view what he did as wrong. Culture is a strong contrast from accountability. Blaming his culture demonstrates a lack of accountability on his part. And now some team is going to pay this guy millions of dollars. GREAT!!! (sarcasm)

78. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Dec 15, 2010 2:52 PM

I think Vick knows he’s on a short leash. If he were to run afoul of the law again in this regard, then he could be facing, among other things, a lifetime ban from playing football in the NFL.

As a dog owner, I support the lifetime ban on Vick owning a dog. I’m all in favor of redemption. But I’m not inclined to forget—especially where, as here, the crimes were so horrific.

79. maddog111 says: Dec 15, 2010 2:54 PM

He’s banned from getting a dog, but why doesn’t he just have his girlfriend get one. Reminds me of an interview with G. Gordon Liddy I saw years ago on CNN. At the end of the interview they asked him “how many guns do you own?”. He responded “i’m a convicted fellon, and therefore not allowed to own firearms. Mrs. Liddy however owns 37.”

80. bleedgreen says: Dec 15, 2010 3:12 PM

Deb says: Dec 15, 2010 2:19 PM

—————————

Illegal doesn’t mean wrong absolutely. Speeding is wrong, but we ALL speed, and when we see a cop we SLOW DOWN and act like we weren’t. Same here. You don’t want to get caught breaking the law doing something you don’t think is wrong.

81. kennyfukinpowers says: Dec 15, 2010 3:13 PM

KEVINZEEMAIL….Vick’s dogfighting house was in a community of $500,000 to $1 million homes, not in tobacco country. He knew it was illegal and that is why the black paint….to hide what was going on. Stop making excuses for this POS.

82. timegambit says: Dec 15, 2010 3:24 PM

If an entire community or culture can stand around and watch dogs tear each other apart and then continue to electrocute and drown the dogs won’t fight and not know something is wrong, then we have much bigger problems at hand.

If you use this as an excuse it means 1 of 2 things:

1. You’re borderline retarded and just don’t know any better.

2. The entire community/culture is not fit to live in a civilized society. (all colors)

83. bleedgreen says: Dec 15, 2010 3:25 PM

KENNYFUKINPOWERS…. Vick didn’t say he didn’t know it was illegal, he said he didn’t think it was wrong. Those two are not mutually inclusive. Do you NEVER do anything against the law? EVER?

84. ducky69 says: Dec 15, 2010 3:25 PM

Do you guys realize that the us. government puts hundreds of pitbulls to sleep everyday. And referring to an alcoholic is the same as a dog fighter is retarded. Dependency on alcohol is an addiction like gambling its a chemical inbalance in your brain that says you have to have it. Breaking the law is a choice. He chose to break the law, he paid his debt to society, I say let him have a dog the only person it could hurt is Mike Vick, he scews up again he only has one person to blame. Its like saying a shoplifter should never be able to go shopping again.

85. digitaldawg says: Dec 15, 2010 3:38 PM

The fact that he knew it was illegal doesn’t mean he thought it was wrong. There are many laws people try to ignore because they don’t feel it is morally wrong so saying because he hid it he knew it was wrong is an incorrect assumption.

I have pets, specifically dogs, and I would never abuse them and in fact they are more like family members. However saying owning a dog is a privilege is a little overboard. A little too PC for me.

Look he was wrong, paid a heavy price for it too. But he did his team and he has certainly improved as a player which to me is unexpected. Has he improved as a person. Who cares? Why are we as a country so obsessed with having celebrities live up to these standards and to be role models?

Because a guy can run fast or throw a fast ball does not make him someone for you kid to look up to. If you are feeding into that or raising your kid that way then you failed not Mike Vick.

86. igster1 says: Dec 15, 2010 3:41 PM

the s.o.b should have been sent to prison for life or the death penalty. all those dogs did’nt get a second chance.

87. nfl4ever says: Dec 15, 2010 3:44 PM

Dogs can be very therapeutic, OK so let him have one.

However…..

If he were to go for a Pit Bull, Presa Canario or anything closely related then I’d smell a rat.

But if he got a Labrador or Golden Retriever, a NORMAL dog, or god forbid an ankle-biter then I would tend to believe he wants one for all the right reasons.

88. smokehouse56 says: Dec 15, 2010 3:50 PM

89. jmmtb says: Dec 15, 2010 3:51 PM

Vick’s trying to pull a Costanza on us!

90. steelersmichele says: Dec 15, 2010 3:59 PM

All I want to know if if those two players are going to get fined for hitting Vick helmet-to-helmet on Sunday…

91. kennyfukinpowers says: Dec 15, 2010 4:01 PM

Bleedgreen, so what you are saying is he knew it was illegal, but in the projects where he grew up, it is acceptable to break the law? The only thing Vick is sorry about is he is sorry he got caught. This POS will never change. It was only a few months ago he had the “dress in all white” bday party that ended in gunshots. The typical hood “no snitching allowed” policy followed so the shooting was never solved. You might be very surprised if the shooter was named?

92. bluefan204 says: Dec 15, 2010 4:05 PM

He needs something to take his frustrations out on because of all the hits he’s taking on the field.

F him. He doesn’t deserve a dog, or anything else good in his life.

93. steelers6pack says: Dec 15, 2010 4:10 PM

This punk will be back in jail before start of next football season! GUARENTEED!

94. pftisbecominglame says: Dec 15, 2010 4:14 PM

Thanks, Vick! You made me look like a dumbass 15 minutes after I commented on the other story about how you had been saying all the right things after all this time.

The LAST LAST LAST LAST LAST LAST subject you should be broaching is DOGS…in any fashion. Owning, petting, seeing, smelling, or thinking about a DOG should be something you NEVER EVER EVER EVER talk about.

I hope that’s clear…

95. kimcon22000 says: Dec 15, 2010 4:18 PM

mamueller says:
    Dec 15, 2010 1:38 PM

————————————————

Hang in there and get that GED.
    Worst/Most Ignorant post of the day – congrats on that!
    If Vick didn’t know it’s immoral to kill living things – he’s a psychopath and should be somewhere where he can no longer negatively effect life.
    I understand Philly fan’s aplogistic tones – they are as ignorant and aemoral as Vick.

96. marcyh50 says: Dec 15, 2010 4:26 PM

I want to throw up! He’s a sociopath, plain and simple and he’s making millions. I hope he dies slowly, very painfully and then burns in hell. Sick sick sick human being.

97. holeinone09 says: Dec 15, 2010 4:32 PM

Puhlease! While agree people deserve second chances especially after they did their punishment, and while Vick is clearly playing well this year, his statements show he is still kind of a moron. How tough would it have been to say that “I knew it was wrong” period? How could he expect anybody to believe him when he says nobody told him it wasn’t right? Do you have to be told it isn’t right to rob a bank too? Come on, man! The only reason he wants a dog is to rehab his image. He can do that without getting a dog. Reminds me of a lying greedy politician saying he needs to have his pic taken kissing a baby to improve his image.

The answer is, NO. He should not ever be allowed to have a dog, and especially after his comments now. You want a pet? Get a cat or a bird or a fish. Or, how about a rock?

By: owner of 3 shelties

98. hokiez says: Dec 15, 2010 4:33 PM

I understand his thought process on this believe it or not. Having a dog in a non-violent context could show him that dogs have personalities and aren’t only weapons.

I think he should be allowed to have a poodle only. Good luck fighting with Fifi.

99. Deb says: Dec 15, 2010 4:33 PM

@bleedgreen …

I wasn’t a Vick fan, but actually cried when this story broke in 06 because of the waste of so much talent and promise. I believe is comments about his culture, and wasn’t referring to dog-fighting but to him personally torturing animals. Nor was I talking about him keeping it hidden from the law but from the people close to him. He’s admitted he was very secretive then.

I believe he deserves this chance and am rooting for him to succeed. But I also know anyone who’s had issues must guard against falling back into those traps. So seeing him rising so fast concerns me for his sake.

Someone posted that his comment about owning a dog was taken out of context. But reporters will always be trying to bait him. It would be better for him to stay away from the topic.

@eaglelover1 …

That may be the most immature and downright silly post I’ve ever read. This concerns a real crime with real evidence and a real felony conviction. That’s the difference. If your goal was to say something useful on Vick’s behalf, you did him a disservice.

100. mannyicey says: Dec 15, 2010 4:35 PM

So I was working and doing my thing, right. Anyway, I came onto the internet to check on something unrelated and decided to look at the website for the local newspaper. One of the articles was that Mike Vick wants a dog.

Immediately I turned came on here to see how many comments this article would have on this forum. Wow, you guys are so predictable, LOL!

101. breeshasabush says: Dec 15, 2010 4:42 PM

gamustangdude

I swear this is the last time i mess with you but please read below and tell me if thats some one owning up or some one passing the blame, everything we argued is confirmed by his own stupid mouth, for sociopaths the activities he participated in are just as normal for them just as going to the store is normal for us (please read again what ur blow buddy said)…..

it is decided
    it is decided

102. bradwins says: Dec 15, 2010 4:47 PM

Owning a labrador is not the same thing as fighting pit bulls. I doubt very much that if Michael Vick were to bring home a little yellow lab puppy, feed it, potty train it and have it greet him at the door when he came home, he would not have to fight the urge to bring it into the cellar and drown it or electrocute it. When guys fight pits they do not think of them as pets. When guys own pet dogs they think of them as part of their family. I actually think getting a puppy may serve a very therapeutic purpose for Mr. Vick.

103. iamwhodat says: Dec 15, 2010 5:11 PM

You people are freaking hilarious! Vick served his time peroid. Morally what he did was wrong ok ill give you that but to bash this man for his PAST is also wrong. If he messes up again that’s all on him it has nothing to do with my life. As a football fan the guy is dynamic. He adds a different dimension to the Qb position that any of us has never seen before and now that he is taking his craft seriously makes him even more of a threat. You don’t have to like a person to respect them and a lot of you are totally disrespecting the man. Just remember when one of your kids or someone you love knowingly commits a crime or does something illegal, I think you should bash them 1st and then tell them they would never change. Think about all the things you may have done wrong in your life and then think about all the second chances people gave you. I know I’m on my 3rd or 4th chance at life and I’m only 27. Good day and who dat to all!

104. giablommi says: Dec 15, 2010 5:18 PM

“Mike Vick is the man……. Brady is too…”
    ^^^^^
    No offense, but please don’t ever use Tom Brady in the same breath as Michael Vick, on either a personal or professional level, EVER.

Ugh

105. giablommi says: Dec 15, 2010 5:26 PM

“The anti-Vick scum on this board is stunning. Now go back to your $8.oo/hour job and your mothers basement.”
    ^^^^^
    So let me get this straight…the people who are AGAINST the dog torturing /electrocuting /drowning felon are scum?

I’ve heard of turning the tables, but that’s really taking it to the next level. Just curious, how long’s your rap sheet, bro?

106. snarkygurl says: Dec 15, 2010 5:31 PM

bradwins says: Of course, that angle won’t get the lowlife idiots that frequent this website and comment on these stories riled up. And that is clearly the top priority for PFT.
    ======================
    I believe you would be a part of that group “lowlife idiot”…..

107. giablommi says: Dec 15, 2010 5:33 PM

“The 17-page report, prepared by the USDA’s inspector general-investigations division, provided some new details on Vick’s participation in Bad Newz Kennels, the dogfighting operation financed by Vick and formed along with his friends Tony Taylor, Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips.

The report, dated Aug. 28, 2008, says, “Vick, Peace and Phillips thought it was funny to watch the pit bull dogs belonging to Bad Newz Kennels injure or kill the other dogs.”

The report also states in mid-April of 2007, Vick, Peace and Phillips hung approximately three dogs who did not perform well in a “rolling session,” which indicates the readiness of a dog to fight. According to the report, the three men hung the dogs “by placing a nylon cord over a 2 X 4 that was nailed to two trees located next to the big shed. They also drowned approximately three dogs by putting the dogs’ heads in a five gallon bucket of water.”

…but its ok because he’s good at football and fun to watch…

108. snarkygurl says: Dec 15, 2010 5:55 PM

He shouldn’t be allowed to touch a hot dog, let along a live one. On the other hand, maybe he could adopt Albert Haynesworth?

109. themonkeyman says: Dec 15, 2010 6:41 PM

THIS IS CLASSIC:

gamustangdude says:
    Dec 15, 2010 1:33 PM

You ever gonna learn gamustangdude? NAH!

@ giablommi
    Nice work & so true. Good link but the vick defenders will say isn’t true & is propaganda…LOL

110. bigbluefan1 says: Dec 15, 2010 6:54 PM

Hey darkshakedown

I am a life long Giants fan but if they signed that poc I would sell my tickets in a heart beat the man is scum

As far as what deshawn and the rest of the egals whos names came out of a scrabble game

Watch out
    Why do Giant Fans hate the egals manly due to the trash that comes north from Filthy for the game
    I have slapped more then on of you and will gladly do it again

Notice when they play the national athem take your hats off or Giant fans will do it for you
    Just like we have in the past

One last thing for you egal fans get to the game early go up to the second level and check out what you will never see is stinken field
    3 Super Bowl Trophies

111. bcgreg says: Dec 15, 2010 6:56 PM

Uh oh. Thank God I’m not a dog!

112. monnie11 says: Dec 15, 2010 7:07 PM

convicted child molesters can’t be around children; therefore, michael vick should not be around dogs – it’s just that simple

113. raiderapologist says: Dec 15, 2010 7:27 PM

Some of Vick’s dogs are still alive. Maybe one of them would like to return to his loving embrace.

114. duanethomas says: Dec 15, 2010 7:28 PM

I hope he gets his whole kennel back of killer dogs. Whats the big deal? Its only stupid dogs, just like stupid cows are lead to slaughter everyday to feed phat arse American families. Stupid dogs are eaten everyday in parts of Asia, they dont care about dogs, cats, cows or pigs. I would pay to see a dog fight, just as I pay to see a matador kill a stupid bull in Mexico. To hell with you self-righteous bastards on here who act like you are perfect. Bad Newz Kennel should have be franchised all over the country. Now let me go eat my steak, you idiots. LOL! I hate dogs

115. pittpuppy says: Dec 15, 2010 8:15 PM

I am sick of this guy and disgusted that the media even gives him airtime. I say give him a dog. Then, let them revoke his parole and put his pathetic butt right back in prison!

116. pittpuppy says: Dec 15, 2010 8:18 PM

He should be treated as a sex-offender, only a “dog-offender”! He should have to register as a threat to all dogs and should be required to keep a 500 yard minimum distance from all dogs! That’s 5 football fields. He should be able to figure that out, right?! Maybe I’m giving him too much credit!

117. Deb says: Dec 15, 2010 8:25 PM

@snarkygurl …

Albert Haynesworth … okay, that was funny.

118. pittpuppy says: Dec 15, 2010 8:42 PM

And, for those of you who think that “he did his time, it’s in the past”…. EVERY known serial killer began by abusing animals. I can’t believe he still has custody of his kids. If I were working his case, his kids would have been removed from his home and sent to live somewhere else.

119. bradwins says: Dec 15, 2010 9:33 PM

snarkygurl: your snark is weak. It needs work if you’re going to have such a handle and not embarrass yourself. And your spelling is poor. And no, I wouldn’t qualify, but you appear to be exactly who I was referring to.

120. goldsteel says: Dec 15, 2010 10:02 PM

Sure why not? There are thousands of shelter dogs that can use a good home. But first, he needs to meet “The Dog Whisperer” and have him over for regular visits to check on the dogs. He trains owners and rehabilitates dogs.

121. gordon24freak says: Dec 15, 2010 10:27 PM

This sorry a$$ excuse for a human being doesn’t deserve to be out of jail for what he did to those poor dogs! The closest I’d let him get to a dogs is one pissing on him. He is a gross & disgusting human being. Time served my a$$!

122. chapnastier says: Dec 16, 2010 6:45 AM

@ nogoodell

Your hypocrisy is what is sad here. You claim that most posters here are white and that some how you can compare Fat Ben and this scumbag. First of all…. 95% of people on here hate that fatso for what he was accused of as well, however something tells me you never read comments on him. You must troll around every Vick story and imply racism for every complaint. More importantly, Fat Ben was NEVER even charged with a crime. He was accused of a crime. There is a huge difference that I guess is above your pay grade to understand.

Casting all the stones you want, the race card is played out though sir.

123. themonkeyman says: Dec 16, 2010 7:16 AM

Now Mike Vick wants a dog huh? Why not, he did such a nice job on this non fighting-non violent dog:

Vick continues to be one of the most arrogant, self indulgant, entitled people to ever walk onto a football field. He deserves exactly what he did to the animal in the above link.

pittpuppy has it right, he doesn’t even deserve to have his kids, never mind another animal.

124. steelerdynasty2010 says: Dec 16, 2010 8:04 AM

as duanethomas alluded to, all of you who want to see him punished forever AND you yourself eat meat, please turn yourselves in immediately and demand you serve a sentence equal to what you feel he should serve. and then, if you are able to gain employment after your incarceration, when offered a job, respectfully decline because all the animal lovers out there would be very unhappy if they found out you had been given a chance to rebuild your life because they dont believe you are sorry or rehabilitated.

125. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Dec 16, 2010 9:37 AM

@steelerdynasty2010

Your asinine post speaks for itself. How can one logically equate eating meat for nourishment with what Michael Vick did? Did Michael Vick eat those dogs?

126. breeshasabush says: Dec 16, 2010 10:01 AM

snarkygurl says:
    Dec 15, 2010 5:55 PM

——————–

Love it!!!

127. steelerdynasty2010 says: Dec 16, 2010 11:41 AM

@Rhode Island Patriots Fan:
    if he did, would that make it any different?

128. steelerdynasty2010 says: Dec 16, 2010 11:50 AM

btw Rhode Island Patriots Fan:
    what’s humane about electrocuting and slaughtering the cows, only to discard a significant portion? http://www.offalgood.com/site/photos/humane-cow-slaughter

killing chickens isnt the most humane thing i’ve ever heard of either:
    “www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com”

get a grip

129. blakmanx says: Dec 16, 2010 11:55 AM

You all are idiots by the way

130. darind61 says: Dec 16, 2010 12:54 PM

Vick was prosecuted, confined for nearly two years and lost millions. He did what was asked of him and is now getting his life back in order. Still some of you want to knock him down. So why do you give a pass to sexual assault artist Big Ben, or welcome Donte Stalworth back to league with open arms. Hell some even applaud that oxygen thief Sara Palin for shooting a defenseless caribou to help boost her reality show ratings.

131. Deb says: Dec 16, 2010 1:12 PM

@chanastier …

95 percent of people on here hate Ben for what he was accused of??? Then 95 percent of people on here are fools. A woman in Nevada had a one-night stand with him, texted people she couldn’t wait to see him again (texts are on file with the court), waited a year, and sued for $3 million claiming rape. A bimbo in a Georgia nightclub, followed him to at least three establishments, buying her own drinks, and trying to get him back to her place. After being alone with him for less than 10 minutes, she and her (homage to Mike Leach) fat little girlfriends concocted a rape story to get even with him for tossing one of them out of the party. The medical exam showed there wasn’t any sex at all–and the DA said as much when confirming he couldn’t even prove a crime occurred.

Yeah, the guy is a jerk–which means he’s acted like 85 percent of the guys in the league. So everyone hates him for being wrongly accused and going through hell? My backside! You guys hate him for the same reason you hate Harrison: He plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

@steelerdynasty2010 …

Don’t back up a rude, obnoxious idiot like duanethomas. I believe in giving Vick his second chance. But no one TORTURES cows, electrocutes them, and hangs them from trees before they’re butchered. The guy went beyond dog-fighting. A lot of issues are in play here. I pray he’s worked them out.

132. worsethingss says: Dec 16, 2010 2:00 PM

Deb says: Dec 16, 2010 1:12 PM

@chanastier …

______________________________________

If what you state is true, why hasn’t 85% of the guys in the league been accused of rape multiple times like Ben has?

Just saying…..

133. Deb says: Dec 16, 2010 2:29 PM

worsethingss, you can “just say” anything you like, but it doesn’t change the facts. The woman in Nevada texted friends that she wanted to see him again. That is a fact. The court has the texts. There’s a lot of other evidence that their encounter was consensual but that’s enough.

It’s really not an odd story. Multiple witnesses at multiple locations told the police the police the Milledgeville accuser followed him all evening, trying everything she could to get his attention. Her friends later told reporters for Sports Illustrated that she had a big thing for him long before that night. (To each her own. :roll:) She and her buds kept trying to get him back to her place, but he refused saying that was another lawsuit waiting to happen. So one of her buds started ragging him about the Nevada lawsuit. Guess she reads TMZ like you guys. He got pissed and threw her out of the party. The bodyguard wouldn’t let her back in.

So when the accuser left the party, she and her fat little girlfriend dragged her to the cops and said Ben raped her–just like in Nevada. Hell hath no fury like a sorority sister cut off from the free booze. At first, the accuser denied that she’d even had sex with him–and whaddaya know, that’s just what the medical exam showed. But later she went along when they dragged her to the police station. Those two sorority sisters were the only people to spin that tale about the bodyguard blocking the door. It was refuted by the others in the club–including the club owner. And it didn’t match the accuser’s written statement. All this explains why the DA said he hoped they’d learned their lesson.

That explains how one dumb jock managed to get himself accused twice. Most guys would have the sense, after being accused once, to run from the woman wearing the “Down to F***” pin, assuming she might be bad news. But our guy–like a lot of others in the NFL–likes to shop at Skanks R Us.

As for other NFL players accused of rape … here’s a short list off the top of my head: Mark Sanchez, Jerome Bettis, Michael Irvin, Charlie Batch, Clay Matthews, Brandon Underwood, Eric Foster, Korey Hall, Darrell Russell, Ron Rice, Dedric Ward. These are guys who, as far as I know, were falsely accused like Roethlisberger or sued by never charged by any legal authorities.

134. worsethingss says: Dec 16, 2010 3:12 PM

So in reality Ben and a handful of other players have been accused of rape. Has any of the other players been accused more than one time? You seem to try and justify Ben’s behavior by stating that 85% of the players in the league do the same thing which is obviously not true. You sure like to paint with a wide brush.

Have a nice day :)

135. jpmelon says: Dec 16, 2010 6:25 PM

there is no reason to allow him to own a dog. He is eventually going to climb his way out of debt and be a success again based on his play this year.

2006 wasn’t very long ago Mike. STFU

136. steelerdynasty2010 says: Dec 16, 2010 6:56 PM

PLEASE tell me you guys do not honestly believe that Ben Roethlisberger is the ONLY person to be accused of sexual assault?! once, twice, or thrice?!!! they’re high-profile, young millionaires who most people assume to be unintelligent (however true it may or may not be). i would imagine it happens on a fairly regular basis in addition to paternity suits, investment opportunities, long lost relatives looking to “reconnect”, etc. just because the media doesnt cover it and blow it up doesnt mean it’s not happening. have you guys ever clicked on the police blotter link here on PFT. lots of guys/incidents i know i’ve never heard of, and i’m sure many of you havent either.

137. Deb says: Dec 16, 2010 7:49 PM

No, badthings, I was just trying to see if it was you.

21-10

138. worsethingss says: Dec 16, 2010 8:33 PM

Guess you can’t respond to the post huh?

139. Deb says: Dec 16, 2010 9:20 PM

@steelerdynasty2010 …

worsethingss is a Seahawks troll–formerly known as badthings–who dogs our threads and rants that Roethlisberger must be a rapist because he’s been accused twice. You can post the investigative findings from both the civil and criminal cases clearing him. He’ll say that’s irrelevant because he was accused twice. Dude only cares that his team folded in SB XL and lost to the Steelers 21-10. For him, ranting about Roethlisberger is the football equivalent of the little blue pill. Makes him feel less impotent.

Doesn’t do much for the Seahawks, though.

Just ignore him.

140. eaglelover1 says: Dec 16, 2010 11:33 PM

Deb the ony reason you have anything to say about my post is because Raplisberger is mentioned get a clue.

The idiot that said the man should have his children taken from him and the douche that agreed with him…..boy I would love to meet you two for drinks….SMDH.

Look dog lovers, some of the meat you eat is “killed” 3 and 4 times before it ends up on your plate chicken and beef but I have yet to see a picket line at a processing plant or slaughter house. SLAUGHTER HOUSE wow… Anyway, look I get some of the rants here but, MOST of you show your colors. You know with the “scrabble board names” and “communities unfit for civilization”. Just go listen to Rush drink your miller light and touch your daughter.

I love when racism is placed on the for front so YOU people can deny it’s existance. Most of you probably don’t even own dogs but because that rich black man has fallen you get your jollies off chimming in.

I could care less about THOSE dogs they weren’t mine. However he chose to dispose of the non producers that’s his business. This country does the same to people everyday yet again NO PITCHFORKS! Pick a real fight people. Ask why we have paid shareholders intrest for making our money for the past 90+ years. Ask your congress men why decisions are based on comprimises between a few that affect the many. Fight for something that effects humanity. To hell with a dog.

And the idiot that said dog fighting is a gateway to serial killing or at least alluded to it… I bet you still think smoking weeds leads to harder drugs again SMDH.

141. anacherforester says: Dec 16, 2010 11:45 PM

This is a major misstep. Far too soon for Vick to broach this subject regardless of whether or not he’s sincere.

142. chuckie1904 says: Dec 17, 2010 3:47 AM

didnt you ki11 dogs vick??? your a LAME

143. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Dec 17, 2010 10:16 AM

@ eaglelover1

There was a dark period in our nation’s history when innocent young black males where lynched by white racists for no other reason than because of the color of their skin. That was racism.

I find it downright offensive for you to intimate that racism is even remotely applicable to this discussion. That makes about as much sense as Albert Haynesworth’s recent statement that because he signed a $100 million contract in 2009, “…that don’t mean I’m for sale or a slave or whatever.” In my opinion, that’s an outlandish insult to those in bondage—both past and present-day.

I find your statement, “To hell with a dog” to be insensitive and intolerant. If Michael Vick has acknowledged that what he did was wrong, why can’t you?

144. rlsmit says: Dec 17, 2010 11:53 AM

@Rhode Island Patriots Fan
    I agree with eaglelover1, his point is simple. We have tons of message boards and commenter’s attacking Vick for his past offenses but refuse to dedicate that same effort against other and to be honest more important cases of animal cruelty. I’m a dog lover like most people; however at the end of the day, I bought and paid for that dog. And based on that simple notion who are you to judge how I “handle” said dog. The same brutality that was brought to light in the Vick case is the same type of brutality that’s been going on for years in the sport of hunting, fishing, and Bull fighting. But I don’t see any picket lines at the Bass Pro shops around the country. Or the petitions to cancel said hunting / fishing programs on ESPN. IF I don’t need that animal to survive, then why kill the animal for sport / entertainment? Does it matter if it’s a dog, deer, fish, rabbits, squirrels, turkey’s etc? The answer is simply no. But “Vick haters” refuse to see that side. And that’s when I throw the “Hypocrite flag.”

145. saturn1111 says: Dec 17, 2010 12:07 PM

Some people have a deep need to feel good about themselves and the only way they know how to do it is to hate. So much the better if the hate comes along with an opportunity to be holier-than-thou.

But in the minute they hate, they become all of the things they preach against.

The only way the world will ever become a better place to live is if we continue to reach out to the fallen and help them up rather than continuing to hate them after they’ve fallen.

Mike Vick understands this better than any of the haters on this board.

Go ahead, continue to make yourselves feel better with all of your hate. I promise you, it doesn’t feel nearly as good as helping someone redeem themselves.

146. lovedabirds says: Dec 17, 2010 7:01 PM

@eaglelover1
    Obviously you find it much more convenient to blame race for the continued & well deserved outrage &over Mike Vick than to understand what people that abuse animals for ghoulish self fulfillment are made of. People that torture animals for fun are among the lowest life forms within our society. Read a little bit & learn what people that intentionally inflict pain in helpless animals usually graduate into instead of telling us your uneducated views of Mike Vick & animal torturers. But race is the much more convenient explanation for people feeling as they do about Vick. Any other explanation would have to hint at Vick doing something wrong. And that’s something people that defend Vick as you do, with the ridiculous claims of racism or any other deflection you can up with do. It’s never Vicks fault, always the educated ones that understand animal cruelty.

I love the birds as much as anyone but our QB is an evil POS, plain & simple.

147. lovedabirds says: Dec 17, 2010 7:06 PM

@rlsmit

Here where I throw the hypocrite flag — are you defending all released ex-cons of animal torture or just Mike Vick? Do you defend anyone that been convicted of violent crime or just Mike Vick?

Do you condone people running around giving your sister or daughter herpes, after testing positive, knowing full well they have it?

Just as I thought , 15 yards for accusing others of being hypocrites when it comes to Mike Vick but ok to be hypocritical about others.

148. rlsmit says: Dec 17, 2010 8:34 PM

@lovedabirds

1. not only are your points unrealistic. They don’t apply to this circumstance. You can throw the “hypocrite” flag at me when I don’t give everyone a second chance. That’s what I’m doing to Vick, and what I’ve done for everyone who’s made a mistake, paid for it (according to the law), and try to live a better life. When I don’t do this then you can call me a hypocrite.

2. Find one piece of evidence that says Vick is guilty of spreading herpes, and then you can use that piece. Until then stick with the facts please.
    Fact one: One woman claimed Vick gave her herpes. No one else has claimed that.
    Fact Two: Vick never admitted to it nor court found him guilty of it. However, he did settle out of court. Though an assumption can be made, assumptions are not Facts.
    BTW You really expect someone to defend every single person that’s ever been accused of violent Crimes by Name? Is that what you’re getting at? Roger, when I’m privileged to that information on ALL the convicts who have EVER been found guilty of violent crimes or crimes against animals, and as soon as I track them all down, I’ll go on message blogs and defend every single one of them you stupid idiot. Next time think before you type. Or don’t.

149. lovedabirds says: Dec 18, 2010 11:10 AM

@rlsmit

True to form for a Vick defender.

Lets ignore the fact that Vick gave her that money – it was out of the goodness of his own heart, had nothing to do with seeking treatment for herpes under the name Ron Mexico then it was complete coincidence that a woman accused him of it. Then of course more conscience that he “settled” with her. Mike Vick showed how benevolent he was when although he had a 130 million dollar contract, he gave 10 frigging grand (like 10 bucks for us) to VT. Right, Vick is known far & wide for being generous, just giving money away.

You want to stick your head in the sand & scream conscience, that certainly your right. But then as again all Vick defenders do, when presented with fact they start calling others names. LOL the predictability of it is as sad as it is funny.

And of course, how he picked himself up, after torturing numerous sick & hurt animals to death for no reason but laughs. Like a drug, Mike Vick & his group got off on this sick behavior. His father told him what he was doing was wrong, he did it anyways. So that claim of “I didn’t know it was wrong” is complete & utter BS, no one ever told him growing up, not one person that it was wrong to torture animals??

Again Mr. Vick supporter, stick your head in the sand & shamelessly, blindly stick up for Mike Vick

Ignore the facts & claim conscience, blame others, call people that disagree with you names. It’s all you got to defend him.

BTW, we all know you are only defending this POS, not all violent criminals. That’s obvious as far as all Vick defenders is concerned.

150. themonkeyman says: Dec 18, 2010 3:49 PM

Just to give the Vick defenders just one glimse into why people the way they do about Mike Vick:

As that dog lay on the ground, fighting for air, Quanis Phillips grabbed its front legs and Michael Vick grabbed its back legs. They swung the dog over their head like a jump rope then slammed …it to the ground. The first impact didn’t kill it. So, Phillips and Vick slammed it again. The two men kept at it, alternating back and forth, pounding the creature against the ground until, at last, the little red dog was dead.” The Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant. Page 63

And that was only one of poor tortured animals. The guy is absolutely no good.

151. rlsmit says: Dec 19, 2010 9:23 AM

@lovedabirds

you just can’t except the fact that there is no Facts that state Vick gave her herpes.

Show me 1 fact. 1. Not assumptions fact. I have no idea why he settled, however until you hear the words from his own mouth and judege / jury of his peers finds him guilty of spreading herpes. All you have is specualtion. That may be fact in your world but in the real world it’s not. However continue to live a blind life.

themonkeyman

Don’t care what he DID, what has he done since? Nothing but positive. So you focus on the past and I’ll focus on the present. THANKS!!

Not saying what he did wasn’t wrong. I’m saying everyone deserves a second chance. Including you, I’m pretty sure you haven’t been an angel all you life either.

152. juancorsair says: Dec 19, 2010 9:43 AM

“I hate to use our culture as an excuse, but it is what it is,” Vick said. “And that’s what happened and that’s the way I thought about it growing up, that this is something we do. I love animals. I love dogs. I love birds. I love all types of animals. But this was just the way we was brought up.”

Nobody ever specifically told me it was wrong to run illict gambling rings, fight dogs and torture animals to death either. However, neither myself nor any of my friends ever engaged in such activity. I suppose that is the difference between being a human being and a sadistic, sociopathic POS like Vick.

I have no doubt he wants the right to own dogs so he can jump right back into his passion for watching them rip each other to shreds. It is obvious that not only has he not been “rehabilitated” in any way, shape or form, but the only thing he is sorry for is getting caught in the first place.

Someone outta clamp a car battery to this degenerate’s testicles for a couple of hours and when that becomes tiresome, slam him repeatedly to the ground until every worthless bone in his herpes-infected body is broken into pieces. Hell, if a couple trailer-dwelling rednecks from Georgia do it, they can use “their culture” as an excuse for not knowing that torturing a black man to death was wrong in the first place as well!

153. themonkeyman says: Dec 19, 2010 11:11 AM

@ rlsmit

themonkeyman

——————————————

You blindly focus on whatever allows you to stick up for someone that for 6 years committed acts like posted above – POSITIVE? What basis do you have for saying all he’s done is positive? Not getting caught again? No women accusing him of spreding herpes again? No federal investgations on his actions? Those are positives? Throwing TD passes is positive? Winning games is positive huh? Thats all he’s done. He’s done nothing positive, he’s stayed out of further trouble is all.

Your boy is a ghoul, a POS, a subhuman sad excuse for a human being. Only someone that is a heartless, soulless sicko would do as posted above. HE DID THIS FOR FUN – Think about that, 130M dollar contract & he thought it was fun to inflict pain on animals. Keep sticking up for someone so sadistic.

You choose not to see how sick Mike Vick is, I on the other hand as an educated individual understand what people that do those things to animals are made of. He shouldn’t even have his kids after see what he did to other helpless creatures above. Vick is NO GOOD – thats the bottom line

He had no idea it was wrong to:

No one ever told him or he’s not smart enough to process that torturing any creature for kicks is wrong? Seriously?? You really believe that? You are as naive as every other Vick defender. The proof keeps coming to light of how effed this guy really is, you just continue to ignore it – keep putting your head in the sand. Mike Vick is as sick as ever, asking for creatures he could do the above to only shows that.

154. themonkeyman says: Dec 19, 2010 11:23 AM

@juancorsair

———————————————-

AMEN Sir – convenient to blame culture & surroundings instead of one’s self for our actions.

This guy is still a pathetic liar, he still thinks he’s smarter than everyone else & people buy his BS.

Mike Vick is no good to his core, he is the personification of evil. To ENJOY torture of animals is bad, it shows a deep mental & emotional void. But people that do not understand what kind of liars people this sick are keep sticking up for him. Add to it knowingly infecting women with herpes. He doesn’t deserve your loyalty Vick supporters, he WILL disappoint you all again. Watch.

155. bleedgreen71018222558 says: Dec 19, 2010 7:39 PM

Why does he need a dog if he owns 53 Giants?

156. breeshasabush says: Dec 20, 2010 10:03 AM

@saturn1111

how dillusional are “thou”? How is having dislike or even “hate” begin to transulate into “becoming” anything like Vick???? By your thought process if someone cuts u off in traffic and u say “I could just kill that guy” its the same thing as ACTUALLLY killing the guy! I dnk where your (or all Vick defenders who use this mythology) logic comes from but it makes absolutely no sense. If someone hates Vick for what he did (which 65% of a recent poll says they do) you honestly think it makes them become dog killers.. bc u did say

” But in the minute they hate, they become all of the things they preach against”… so i guess im a sick, twisted, dog murderer who doesn’t know right from wrong bc no one ever told me I wasn’t supposed to torture domestic pets. Yes PLEASE put me in the same category with him bc simply not liking the guy makes me a convicted fellon.

as far as helping this clown redeem himself and feeling better about it… go screw yourself… hows about you come down to NOLA, pick up a hammer, gut some houses, float some sheet rock, help people get their homes back (like a lot of us did) instead of blindly worshiping a guy who has over and over again shown his lack of respect for fans who love him, the nfl, and for the law! Help people who don’t have the means to help themselves instead of being a groupie and then maybe u can be this HOLY all knowing god that can crack eggs of knowledge all over our heads but until then you be just what you are…. a groupie for someone who plays football real well who wouldn’t give 2 sh*ts if he saw you getting ur A$$ kicked in a dark alley, who would pass herpes to your GF w/o thinking twice about it…. yeah u root for that guy! And in the meantime I’ll continue to hope every time i see him drop back or run that he breaks his leg and can’t play in the NFL ever again…. Pick a new Role model loser!

157. theoriginalcaptainmarvel says: Dec 20, 2010 4:30 PM

“There was nothing that ever told me it wasn’t right,” Vick said. “No one ever told me it was the wrong thing to do.”…………….So either he’s a liar, or he’s really stupid. Or both.

158. saturn1111 says: Dec 21, 2010 9:25 AM

@breeshasabush

– let’s keep this clean, okay?

– you have no idea how much i give back to my community. i give back every day, all day. i wouldn’t be able to post as i do without coming from that context. and how about you?

– if you think a redeemed dog killer is my role model, you’re sorely mistaken.

– if you think you know how Mike Vick would react if he found me getting my a$$ kicked in an alley, then you’re talking out of school. I, for one, have no idea how he would react.

– but his actions of late suggest that he is on his way to full rehabilitation. why can’t you accept that and move on? why do you need to hate Vick so much?

– if you ever make a huge mistake in your life, one that causes you to be shunned by your community, and you need *someone….ANY ONE PERSON* to believe in you and take a chance on you, the fellow who’s been posting here as bresshasabush won’t do it. ironic, isn’t it?

– classy screen name, too. whenever you’re ready to come down off of your high horse, the rest of us are down here keeping it real.

– I have to go back to work now.

159. saturn1111 says: Dec 21, 2010 10:17 AM

@breeshasabush

One more:

– I said that when you hate, you “become like” the guilty party you criticize because hateful thoughts *lead to* hateful actions, not because they’re the same thing. At the very least, hateful thoughts don’t make things better, now do they?

160. bears74 says: Dec 21, 2010 4:29 PM

Let’s not forget that we are talking about DOGS.. for crying out loud!

Most Americans will push a baby aside on their way to rescuing a freaking dog from a burning building! It’s a freaking dog! Get over it!

161. trixstal says: Dec 21, 2010 4:41 PM

This guy is an idiot. Period!

162. breeshasabush says: Dec 22, 2010 11:28 AM

saturn1111…. read slowly so I dont have to re-write the same stuff again (this goes for all vick fans too)

First off let me get this out the way,
    Ive done plenty for my community. You have absolutely no idea what I’ve seen or what I’ve done to help rebuild this city (just like SO MANY of us in NOLA have) and thats something that the rest of the country will never understand (being as you’ve never been forgotten by your own country in time of need). We we’re left high and dry and left for dead and WE (New Orleans) brought it back. There weren’t normal jobs anymore, u had to put on your gloves and medical masks, pick up a hammer and do your part bc NO ONE else was gunna help us, so dont ever question what ive done for the human race, ive willingly done more than Vick has (as did/do so many New Orleanians).

“- but his actions of late suggest that he is on his way to full rehabilitation. why can’t you accept that and move on? why do you need to hate Vick so much?”
    ……. Why are you so quick to forget his numerous acts against society and think that he would help u in anyway if no one was around? Because he spent time in jail? Because hes done court ordered community service? Because the prison system has such a great track record for convicted fellons on probation (Would you let a convicted pedaphile babysit your child after being let out of prison…they’ve done their time and have paid their debt and they really have turned their life around… lemme guess “thats a completely different issue”..no it isnt ur talking about giving second chances and if vick deserves one so does the pedaphile..by YOUR account)? Because he smiles for the cameras and says “I was wrong”? Because he works with Animals rights groups? I bet you’re the guy who when he sees a black guy walking near his car he clicks the lock switch, but here online you are SOOO supportive of how the prison system can work but every time a random black guy (fellon or not) walks by “CLICK, hes not stealing my car.”… im willing to bet you’re that guy! And no people im not black and making this a race issue, im simply showing how this douche contradicts himself! In case you dont see where im going with this…. YOU (like all the Vick lovers in the world) only care about this guy bc he can play football really well. If we were talking about Willie Williams running a dog fighting ring and savagely murdering defenseless animals you people would crucify him.

And of course ive made mistakes… everyone does. But thats just what I MYSELF have done…. MISTAKES (quick lapses of poor judgement). What Vick did wasn’t a mistake, he carried this on for years and tried to keep it as secretive as he possibly could (do research on what he told his friends to do before coming to his house for fights as to not look suspect or be followed by law enforcement, passwords etc…). What Vick did was completely pre-meditated with no regard for the law or for the Animals that he KNEW would be tortured by his OWN HANDS…. say what you will about me but you cannot ever compare any mistake ive ever made to what he’s done.

Lastly go ahead and give the same answer or retort that every Vick defender does, choose from the following : “For god’s sake it was ONLY DOGS!!”, “He’s done his time and paid his debt to society, what else do you want from the guy”, “Everything hes doing shows that he really has turned his life around!”…. your choice bc thats all you guys got! Why not say what you REALLY think and say “Hey, the guy is a freak on the football field and I like watching him so I really dont care about what he did” OR “Im an Eagles fan, screw you!” Ill answer to your retort before you can post it… I DONT WANT ANYTHING FROM THE GUY, NOTHING!!!! this includes having to watch the guy play in the NFL…. although its exciting, i dont want him performing for my entertainment (which the NFL is to its fans… our own amusment) Id rather have forgotten that he exists and let him move on with his life doing something else….. oh thats right hes Mike Vick lets let him screw up as many times as he wants and give him whatever he wants bc hes a gifted athlete… im willing to bet hes had this mindset since high school if not earlier…. but like I said you root for THAT guy… i wont! and i like my screen name too, pretty funny yet clever. I dnk about classy though… when choosing an internet moniker im not really going for the white table cloth, champagne, high society of screen names but i bet you do!

163. breeshasabush says: Dec 22, 2010 11:45 AM

oh and saturn….. his past actions suggest that not only would he let you get your A$$ kicked, but hed put money in the mix, laugh about it, and if u lost……well lets just hope u didnt lose! I have more evidence to support that theory than you have for any of yours!

164. bears74 says: Dec 22, 2010 4:37 PM

The Apostle Paul in the Bible (probably the greatest apostle ever) started out as the greatest persecutor of Christians. He was present at the stoning to death of the first Christian matyr, Stephen. (look it up)

Paul (previously, Saul) went on to convert to Christianity and became the greatest apostle to ever walk this earth. God forgave him his murderous misadventures; so did the early Christians. No apostle did more to spread Christianity to Gentiles than Paul.

The Lord’s prayer says, “forgive us our trespasses, AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US.” In other words, you have to forgive others before God can forgive you of your sins. God knows our selfish hearts inside and out. We want from God what we withhold from our fellow men. It’s called hypocricy.

The Bible also says to remove the plank in your eye before pointing out the speck in your neighbor’s eye.

When we err, we are the first ones to plead for mercy and forgiveness, yet we are also the first one to condemn others when they err. Harboring grudges and refusing to forgive others says more about us than it says about them.

Step off your high horse and learn to forgive a fellow human being who has seen the error of his ways and is trying his best to make amends. Don’t be jealous of his accomplishments on and off the field.

It is shameful that you would rather tear down successful people just to make yourself feel better about your misery and failure.

165. steelerdynasty2010 says: Dec 26, 2010 12:41 PM

@breeshasabush
    “YOU (like all the Vick lovers in the world) only care about this guy bc he can play football really well. If we were talking about Willie Williams running a dog fighting ring and savagely murdering defenseless animals you people would crucify him.”
    —————————————————
    i would say the same is true for those who are crucifying Vick. if he was just some guy on the street, they likely would just roll their eyes and say “what a sicko” and move on. They wouldnt go to his workplace and picket, they wouldnt be posting on message boards about some guy that no one knows. their would be no national campaign to keep the guy from working in his chosen field (and one that chose him as well). if michael vick were flipping burgers for a living, would you be so motivated and outraged? would you refuse to eat the burgers? if so, why do you continue to consume the product that he serves now (if in fact you do still watch football)? the alternative to him working is either being supported BY YOU in prison, or supported BY YOU on welfare. I’d rather see him working and earning his OWN MONEY.
    to date, how many people not named Michael Vick have been sentenced to Federal prison for dog fighting (i know that wasnt the “official” reason he was in, but i think we all know that’s why he was there)? i bet the number is very few.
    i’m not supporting him or agreeing with what he did, but i just dont understand the end game for those who still havent gotten beyond what he did. if he behaves, he’s not going back to prison so you can let that go. if you’re wishing for him to do something to revoke his parole, SHAME ON YOU. to do so, you’d be advocating negative actions by someone you claim is not remorseful or changed.

166. breeshasabush says: Jan 12, 2011 4:50 PM

…..And that is what really grinds my gears