Santonio Holmes expects warm reception in Pittsburgh

Santonio Holmes

The Jets play at Pittsburgh on Sunday, which means Santonio Holmes will be returning to the place where he played the first four years of his career. Holmes thinks he’ll be greeted warmly.

“I’m pretty sure [the fans] will give me a standing ovation once I get on the field,” Holmes said. “I’m pretty sure you’ll look in the stands and see a lot of No. 10 jerseys with ‘Holmes’ on the back from the Steelers.”

I’m pretty sure Holmes is overestimating his popularity in Pittsburgh, but I guess we’ll see on Sunday. One way or another, Holmes says he’s planning to have a big game and make the Pittsburgh fans go home unhappy.

“It won’t be pretty for them,” Holmes said.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
47 Responses to “Santonio Holmes expects warm reception in Pittsburgh”
  1. jpmelon says: Dec 16, 2010 6:08 PM

It’s not his fault that he was let go when the Rooney family liked to pretend to be classy. If Ben would have raped that girl just a little sooner, Santonio would still be a Steeler.

2. hobartbaker says: Dec 16, 2010 6:09 PM

Holmes got a standing O from the crowd each time he dropped a wide open pass in the end zone.

3. The James Harrison Foundation says: Dec 16, 2010 6:10 PM

hahaaaaaaaaahaha I guess sarcasm doesn’t transfer well over the internet because if thats what he really thinks hes in for a big surprise. A standing ovation? Like Brett Favre? PLEASE

And it wont be pretty for us? Umm if you havent noticed Sanchez looked like a deer in the headlights again the Phins last week and now he gets to face the Steelers D. And lets not forget about Holmes acting like HE was caught staring at the headlights when he dropped a pass that even Braylon Edwards couldnt have dropped. No no no Tone, this will be VERY pretty for us.

4. drumbug7 says: Dec 16, 2010 6:10 PM

I’d be surprised if he’s even close to being right. I remember a year after he was drafted, he did an interview with ESPN, and he said how upset he was that he was drafted by a “run first” team, and how he hopes to someday play for a team that passed the ball more. Soundbites like that don’t endear you to the team, let’s just say that.

5. august1969 says: Dec 16, 2010 6:11 PM

Santonio Holmes expects warm reception in Pittsburgh…

….at the airport from the police

6. adrian7724 says: Dec 16, 2010 6:11 PM

Well he did win them a SB so it would be a shame if they forgot about all that. But I do think he is overestimating his welcome a bit.

7. grpatriot says: Dec 16, 2010 6:13 PM

The bravado never ends with these fools! The Steelers should dominate the Jets!
    Holmes go learn your kids names, assclown!

8. cornellsteelers says: Dec 16, 2010 6:14 PM

Steelers fans really have nothing against Santonio and it’s not like he chose to get traded away for almost nothing. He probably will get a warm reception, but I doubt he’ll do much with Sanchez throwing the ball.

9. wtfchiefs says: Dec 16, 2010 6:18 PM

Santonio has a real inflated sense of self worth

10. jeffa43 says: Dec 16, 2010 6:19 PM

Thanks for the catch Holmes… You will always be a Steeler… It will be a long flight back to NY…

You will be loved again as soon as you leave the stadium…. for now, you are the enemy and this is going to hurt you more than it hurt us…

Keep your head on a swivel… Ryan Clark will be roaming in case Harrison misses you…

Ike is waiting….

SWAGGER !!!

11. adipaola says: Dec 16, 2010 6:24 PM

i had a number 10 holmes jersey. i tore it up and took the patch to place on my woodley jersey. I actually liked him until he said he expects a “standing ovation”. woah woah. yea you were liked, you had a great superbowl winning catch, but chill Santonio, see how the game pans out before you think it wont be “pretty” for us.

12. Jack Burton says: Dec 16, 2010 6:25 PM

I hope Troy picks of a few passes intended for Wake and Bake.

13. billsfan27 says: Dec 16, 2010 6:31 PM

Meaning: he knows he’s gonna get lit up. Again.

…and maybe drop something along the way.

14. njhitman says: Dec 16, 2010 6:37 PM

Wait maybe the weed is getting to him “Holmes is thinking he still plays for the Steelers” Smoke another blunt bro

15. FinFan68 says: Dec 16, 2010 6:38 PM

I bet he was pretty sure he was going to catch that game-winning TD pass last week too.

16. thetooloftools says: Dec 16, 2010 6:38 PM

Yo Holmes.
    Nobody cares.
    You are so yesterday.
    Have fun going over the middle.
    Click….
    your lights are going out.

17. laxer37 says: Dec 16, 2010 6:42 PM

Holmes said. “I’m pretty sure you’ll look in the stands and see a lot of No. 10 Steeler’s jerseys with ‘Holmes’ on the back.”
    ————————————————

…and a marijuana leaf on the front.

18. dirtdawg55 says: Dec 16, 2010 6:46 PM

I don’t know that I would give him a standing ovation but I sure would applaud him. He was a great playmaker with the Steelers, worked hard at his craft and helped deliver a Super Bowl. He is a game changer and his SB winning catch is one of the all time greats (of course his drop the pass before could have been an all time dud)

He did much to deserve a supportive response. If not, I’m not sure what does.

As for his prediction, let’s just say his personality, and mouth, suits the Jets.

19. anacherforester says: Dec 16, 2010 6:50 PM

I’m much more interested to hear what Santonio has to say after the Steelers knock the Jets out of playoff consideration.

20. PCa Survivor says: Dec 16, 2010 7:01 PM

I’m a season ticket holder at Heinz but ironically will be in New York City on Sunday. But I would definitely welcome ‘Tone with a cheer. Standing ovation would be going too far. But he was good in the locker room and didn’t try to get traded – never bad mouthed his teammates or the city. I wish him luck and a great career — and thank him for a Super moment – XLIII.

21. clivus63 says: Dec 16, 2010 7:01 PM

I’m sure Harrison will be happy to take some of the paint off your helmet for you.

22. SteelTown6 says: Dec 16, 2010 7:07 PM

hehe… I already took a can of yellow paint and crossed out “Holmes” and painted in “Dixon”, a long time ago.

23. brownsclown says: Dec 16, 2010 7:24 PM

Too bad that Holmes has to face the Steelers defense almost alone!

With Braylon Edwards opposite Santanio, the Steelers will be able to double cover him all day long. They figure that if Edwards gets open, a big if, chances are 50/50 that he drops the ball!

24. ncoolong says: Dec 16, 2010 7:28 PM

We’ll be cheering when Ryan Clark drills him with a legal shoulder-to-chest hit on the slant the Jets call one out of every three pass attempts.

25. holyinconsistent says: Dec 16, 2010 7:30 PM

keep wakin and bakin you dumb POS. This guy is completely over-rated. Remember, the only reason he made that catch in the Super Bowl is because Ben had to throw TWO perfect passes since the first one went right threw his hands! Sort of like last week. Ben was the MVP, not the weedhead.

26. pastabelly says: Dec 16, 2010 7:41 PM

Hard to believe the Jets are still flapping their mouths.

27. Deb says: Dec 16, 2010 8:06 PM

ROFL … I’m pretty sure you’re right, MDS.

I’m happy Santonio is happy where he landed. When players are traded or leave for better opportunities, I always wish them the best and continue to root for their personal success unless they say or do something to disrespect the team. But the only player I would ever have given a standing ovation after he left the Steelers was Rod Woodson. And Rod had the good sense not to make those kinds of incendiary statements.

Ike … say hey to Santonio.

28. igottz5onit says: Dec 16, 2010 8:22 PM

@ deb
    what about kevin greene?

29. kimcon22000 says: Dec 16, 2010 9:01 PM

grpatriot says:
    Dec 16, 2010 6:13 PM
    The bravado never ends with these fools! The Steelers should dominate the Jets!
    Holmes go learn your kids names, assclown!

==============================

You using Glen Beck terminology makes your opinions moot and you a tool. Too bad Patsie fans can’t think for themselves – not suprising though.

30. kimcon22000 says: Dec 16, 2010 9:04 PM

Todd Snidt ………….

31. Deb says: Dec 16, 2010 9:07 PM

Oooh, igottz5onit … did you have to ask me that? LOL

Was a lil frustrated with Kevin after he left. But he went to Auburn so some cussedness was to be expected. On the other hand, he was part of a defense that holds a very very special place in my heart. Time soothes, at least where some defenders are concerned ;)

O’Donnell … no.

32. richierich420 says: Dec 16, 2010 10:06 PM

And by warm reception, he means that plenty of people will be burning one with him while he is in town

33. intelligentfan says: Dec 16, 2010 10:10 PM

You’ll get cheers for that amazing SB TD catch and AFCN team’s game winning grabs but that’s it.
    Still one of my favorites but Steelers win.

34. j0esixpack says: Dec 16, 2010 10:17 PM

Holmes deserves a standing ovation from the Pittsburgh faithful just for providing the Steelers locker room with that sort of bulletin board material.

Great strategy Santonio… get the Steelers even MORE pumped up to turn Rex’s boast that the Jets were “Soon to be Champs” to “Soon to be Chumps”

35. nogoodell says: Dec 16, 2010 10:36 PM

Steelers planning on peeing on him?

36. igottz5onit says: Dec 16, 2010 11:04 PM

I wasn’t going to ask about odonnell although the more I watch that super bowl the more i think he got a bad wrap.

37. andyprough says: Dec 17, 2010 12:51 AM

Got to admit it – I do like that dumbsh!t. I’ll stand up and cheer him on Sunday

Man-o-man that was some amazing toe-tapping catch in the end zone in the Super Bowl. One for the ages

But, like most things from Ohio State, it was bound to go bad eventually. Too bad he didn’t spend 3 or 4 years under the supervision of Joe Pa – would have learned a little personal discipline and could have stayed a Steeler for life

38. nyjalleffingday says: Dec 17, 2010 1:30 AM

@grpatriot

Braylon is the one with the kids, assclown. LOL! Like I said, nobody ever accused a Patriots fan of intelligence.

39. kisstherings says: Dec 17, 2010 2:18 AM

re: One way or another, Holmes says he’s planning to have a big game and make the Pittsburgh fans go home unhappy.
    “It won’t be pretty for them,” Holmes said.
    ——————————————

When will these moron Jets stop talking about what they think they are going to do…and/or wish they could do….and just shut their mouths and play.

They are truly the laughing stock of the league right now. I hope the Steelers slaughter them.

40. Deb says: Dec 17, 2010 2:59 AM

@igottz5onit …

Super Bowl wasn’t all his fault. Ernie Mills, I believe, was injured and the backup ran the wrong route on one of those INTs. It’s still his responsibility to make sure he knows people are heading in the right direction before he lets go of the ball. But the receiver created the opening for the DB.

My problem with O’Donnell was his behavior when he left. He did a lot of talking about how much better he could do financially and status-wise with another team. Funny, but he faded into oblivion after that. Guess he wasn’t as good as he thought he was without the rest of the team backing his play.

41. mistrezzrachael says: Dec 17, 2010 6:22 AM

Who is Santonio Holmes??? The second coming of Lynn Swann???

This guy fits in so well w/jets…Big talk, little game.

Not a Steeler fans @ all…but hoping for another Patriot like blowout. Hell, I’d even love to see Harrison make another donation for ripping Sanchez’ head off.

Tic tic tic…watching the jets implode.

42. donterrelli says: Dec 17, 2010 6:51 AM

It’s comments like this that got him released in the first place.

43. grpatriot says: Dec 17, 2010 9:17 AM

Note to all Jets fans…enjoy the continuing fall!
    You and your smack talking Coach and Team are an embarresment to Football.

I do agree on one thing Holmes said,”it ain’t going to be pretty!” I’m not saying 45-3 like the Patriots put on your sorry choking ass! The Steeler’s need this one to hold off the Ravens!
    I expect a physical beatdown Sunday! Ben will do enough to win.

Enjoy your journey into the abyss! Holmes has how many kids???

44. grogansheroes says: Dec 17, 2010 9:25 AM

nyjalleffingday says:
    Dec 17, 2010 1:30 AM
    @grpatriot

—————————————————
    Talk about no nothing fans, I thought it was Cromartie that couldn’t name all his kids. Dumb tool of Jest fan. Haven’t seen you boasting on this board since that beat down a couple of weeks ago. It’s nice to see you crawl out of your hole to see the light of day. Hope you enjoy that “wait til next year” chant. I know maybe you have to wait 86 years for your nest super bowl. What will you be then, 50?

45. robzar says: Dec 17, 2010 9:54 AM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again….Santonio Holmes is a straight-up punk, which of coarse makes him the perfect Steeler or Jet!

46. nyjalleffingday says: Dec 17, 2010 11:48 AM

@grogansheroes

“Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness.”

Thank you for falling for it, I needed a chuckle. u mad, bro? If you’d pay attention, you would have realized I post about one stupid comment per day, which everybody gets mad at, like you! Thanks for making it easy lmao

47. dmobey says: Dec 19, 2010 7:36 PM

andyprough says:
    Dec 17, 2010 12:51 AM
    …would have learned a little personal discipline and could have stayed a Steeler for life

***************************************

Personal discipline is required to be a Steeler?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

You’ve kept a QB who is a rapist.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha