Tashard Choice defends competitiveness after autograph request

T. Choiceauto

Three days after Cowboys running back Tashard Choice’s autograph request of Michael Vick became a surprisingly big issue in Dallas, the third-year running back defended himself.

“Am I more competitive if I would have tried to fight him after the game?” Choice said via Tim McMahon of ESPNDallas.com. “What would you say then? If we would have won the game? Sixty minutes is from the beginning to the end. That’s all you play in a football game. When a game’s over, it’s over.”

Choice is known as a hard worker and a competitor.  His coach Jason Garrett defended him for those reasons before Choice had the chance to stick up for himself.

“There’s no fan, there’s no coach, there’s no person in media who cares more about a game, winning or losing, that I’m playing in,” Choice said.   “I play — you see what I’m saying? — and I give everything I’ve got for 60 minutes. That’s it. If you’ve got something to say, cool. Be in the NFL. Play. That’s cool. You’ve got your opinion, and I’ve got mine.”

My opinion is that we’ve probably spent too much time on this issue.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
19 Responses to “Tashard Choice defends competitiveness after autograph request”
  1. sdchargers25 says: Dec 16, 2010 10:52 AM

I would ask for Vicks autograph if i was in the same position. hes a beast!

2. bspurloc says: Dec 16, 2010 10:55 AM

who cares.
    just dont lie about some 2 year old wanting an autograph.

3. montecitotex says: Dec 16, 2010 11:01 AM

Judas Choice should be thrown out of Dallas.

4. mybuttsayspft says: Dec 16, 2010 11:06 AM

Why is this a story, he was getting it for a child.

5. bucsballer says: Dec 16, 2010 11:33 AM

y are the cowgirl fans so mad bout this? u realize their all people after the game.Including half these guys hang out outside of football. U all needa RELX

6. tuckrule91 says: Dec 16, 2010 11:38 AM

Choice was at Georgia Tech when Vick was in Atlanta I believe. He idolized Vick, but really…what’s the problem?? let it go..

7. mborz says: Dec 16, 2010 12:11 PM

I think this flap is pretty silly. Same with all of the flap about Derek Anderson smiling/laughing during a loss.

I don’t know why people use crap like this to judge someone’s competitiveness or toughness instead of just deciding by the way the person plays instead.

8. sjoyner56 says: Dec 16, 2010 12:12 PM

I have heard way too much complaining about this,its a non issue the game was over and Choice is a competitor….Vick is having a MVP season this year

9. steelersmichele says: Dec 16, 2010 12:13 PM

“When a game’s over, it’s over.”

He’s right. And most of the time the only ones who don’t really think that way are the fans. After some games, players are laughing and shaking hands and actually being friendly with the opposing team–while we’re staring at our televisions going “what are you doing–you just lost.”

He should sell that autographed glove on EBay and make a ton of money :)

We all know Brett Favre would…next to his $499 footballs.

10. nesuperfan says: Dec 16, 2010 12:14 PM

No big deal. It is done all the time, usually for family members or for charity.

11. crise40g says: Dec 16, 2010 12:22 PM

Build a bridge and get over it.

12. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Dec 16, 2010 12:30 PM

“My opinion is that we’ve probably spent too much time on this issue.”

Obviously…that’s why you just put up a post about it. LOL

13. mswravens says: Dec 16, 2010 12:49 PM

A couple years ago, PFT posted a pre-game inspiration locker room speech – Tashard Choice talking to his teammates. It was awesome and inspiring! I became a fan. This guy is fully invested in his team, his teammates, and winning. Anyone making an issue of this stupid non-issue needs to get a life!

14. dboom says: Dec 16, 2010 12:58 PM

I’ve really enjoyed the Cowboys season. Total collapse on the field, Romo KOed by Micheal Boley, Wade Phillips fired… Now this.

Do I really deserve to be this happy as a football fan?

15. edgy says: Dec 16, 2010 1:04 PM

Much ado about nothing. Too many people make such a big deal about crap like this. Win or lose, I try to stay on an even keel because too many people that I know carry this to work on Monday and it affects their work for most of the day.

16. songbre says: Dec 16, 2010 1:07 PM

yea, i agree … Definitely TOO much time on this issue. He wanted an autograph … so what !!! He’s entitled to be a fan as well as a player … I don’t believe for a second that his competitivness should be questioned. What better place is there to get autographs from stars new and old … M. Vick is the prodigy child this year, I can’t blame him at all !!!

17. crubenst says: Dec 16, 2010 1:15 PM

I am an Eagles fan. I remember a game against the cowboys when Aikman, Emmit and Irvin were still playing. They beat us and all game long the Eagles were going out of their way to help cowboys up off the ground. It was a big deal in Philly and fans were pissed. It might not have affected their effort during the actual game, but it gave the fans a perception that the Eagles respected them too much and weren’t even “mad” they were losing. The same applies to Choice. Fans may get the perception that he was just happy to get to meet Mike and not so sad about losing. It reminds me also of Derrick Anderson laughing on the sidelines during a bad loss. Fans want players to care about what happens during the game, not just give effort during the game. Choice should have been in too fowl a mood to get an autograph at that time.

18. yashraba says: Dec 16, 2010 1:58 PM

Typical. An Eagles fan would buck the curve of logical thinking and reason.

19. rcali says: Dec 16, 2010 2:26 PM

Nice role model for your nephew. Maybe the QB autograph he should be seeking is Brady, McNabb, or Manning. You know, guys who are not convicted felons.