Packers hold halftime lead in New England

Tom Brady

Those expecting a blowout on Sunday night haven’t watched the Packers defense at their best.

Green Bay has mostly held Tom Brady in check Sunday night, and lead 17-14 at halftime.   Matt Flynn has thrown for 143 yards and two scores.

We’d tell you more about the game, but it’s time to jump over and help out the SNF Extra chat.  Join us there with extra camera angles and all sorts of other goodies, won’t you?

(Oh yeah, and we’ll have a link to the longest kickoff return for an offensive lineman in NFL history soon enough.)

UPDATE: Patriots cornerback Kyle Arrington returned an interception for a touchdown to open the second half.  21-17 Patriots.

UPDATE II: Here is Patriots guard Dan Connolly’s play:

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
23 Responses to “Packers hold halftime lead in New England”
  1. brewdogg says: Dec 19, 2010 10:15 PM

This one time I will cheer for the Pack. My opponent in my fantasy league playoffs has the Pats D and it’s a close one…..

Light ‘em up, Pack!!!!

(I have no shame…)

2. ampatsisahypocrite says: Dec 19, 2010 10:16 PM

Whatever happens in the second half, doesn’t even matter.

The Patriots mediocre defense has been exposed on national TV by some scrub QB. (Imagine if Rogers had played how bad it would be.)

Anyone who thinks the Pats will just walk into the Super Bowl is dreaming. This playoff field is WIDE open.

3. majikbullet says: Dec 19, 2010 10:19 PM

Anyone know where James Starks is? He isn’t listed on the injury report….I thought I saw him standing in street clothes on the sideline but unsure why or if it was him for sure?

4. ampatsisahypocrite says: Dec 19, 2010 10:29 PM

Well, since it is the second half, let’s examine things.

The Pats ran back a cheap pick 6 based on a Pack WR slipping.

Then the immortal Matt Flynn shoved it up the Pats defense, doing it honestly (unlike New England’s cheap points). The Patriots are now getting embarrassed by some guys named Flynn and Kuhn.

Like I said, the playoff race is WIDE open.

5. mingepudding says: Dec 19, 2010 10:31 PM

So what will they get for Flynn, has to be a #1 right?

6. richm2256 says: Dec 19, 2010 10:36 PM

I knew this game wasn’t going to be as easy as Pat’s fans thought. The Packers are giving them everything they can handle. That back-up kid is better than half the NFL starters out there!

7. ampatsisahypocrite says: Dec 19, 2010 10:41 PM

Some guy named Kuhn is absolutely embarrassing the Patriots.

Keep that in mind for the playoffs.

8. dwhitehurst says: Dec 19, 2010 10:42 PM

Although it’s 24-21 Packers currently, I still think the Patriots are just too good to not win this game in the end. Hope I’m wrong though. The record-setting kickoff return by the Pats Olineman was simply embarassing.

Having said that, regardless of the outcome of this game, the Packers as a team have done their fans proud by leaving it all on the field the way they have tonight. What more could a fan ask than that they simply do that, given all their injuries. Backup QB Matt Flynn (3 TD passes so far) has done his parents proud and proven the prognosticators wrong on what he is capable of. Even if the Packers were to lose this game, this was my favorite game to watch this year.

9. majikbullet says: Dec 19, 2010 10:53 PM

@ampatisahypocrite,

Players slip on every play, so they weren’t cheap points, they were points scored because of a inexperienced QB throwing the ball to an area on the field he shouldn’t have, and because the Packers all gave half arsed attempts at tackling.

That said I’m supremely impressed with McCarthy’s game calling tonight, I only wish he would have done this all year with Rodgers in there. But Flynn has played within himself and done very well!

AND CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY JAMES STARKS ISNT PLAYING???

10. icewalker946 says: Dec 19, 2010 10:55 PM

majikbullet says:
    Dec 19, 2010 10:19 PM
    ++++++++++++++++++++
    According to Jason Wilde he’s one of the inactives.

11. icewalker946 says: Dec 19, 2010 10:55 PM

jasonjwilde RT @packers: Inactive: Aaron Rodgers, Pat Lee, Josh Gordy, James Starks, Frank Zombo, Nick McDonald, Marshall Newhouse, Cullen Jenkins.

12. bowdowntoatruepimp says: Dec 19, 2010 11:10 PM

@ampatisahypocrite, the Pats D has never been a top 10 unit. However, they’re playing with no depth on the D line, and have been on the field all night yet they got some big stops (held to a FG, return for TD) and the Pats offense have done the rest. Going into the season, it’s no surprise that the D was going to be carried by the offense, hence it being the highest scoring in the league.

13. johntonioholmes says: Dec 19, 2010 11:15 PM

Why am I not surprised that there was an illegal block in the back made on that return, yet there was no call?

I know it didn’t effect the outcome of the return, but it is still ILLEGAL.

Oh, what was I thinking? It’s the Patriots!

14. majikbullet says: Dec 19, 2010 11:27 PM

Unbelieveable!

15. richm2256 says: Dec 19, 2010 11:35 PM

Congrats on the contract, Mike. NBC knows a good thing when they se it.

16. deweyaxewound says: Dec 19, 2010 11:50 PM

Starks = healthy scratch. Pack just wanted to see what the other backs could do.

And I wouldn’t have given so much credit to the Pack defense for that close game–it goes to the pack offense, for their ball control, 3rd down conversions, Kuhn’s runs, Flyn’s upstart discretion with the ball, keeping the ball out of Brady’s hand, etc.

Cliche as it might be–best defense is a good offense.

In the end, not enough.

My question is: where was THIS version of the Patriots LAST week?

17. sickpuppyz says: Dec 20, 2010 1:47 AM

@ampatsisahypocrite – dude you sound like sour azz grapes…you must be rooting for a team that lost to the Pats. you keep spewing the same b.s. agenda. everyone knows about the Pats defense and yet they are 12-2. so stfu and take it like a man instead of sounding off like some whiny little biatch.

18. CKL says: Dec 20, 2010 2:33 AM

Well Dewey in all fairness Capers spent a year in NE and got to see Brady every day in practice and knows what frustrates him. Just like Cle does since half their staff is from NE. Also Rodney Harrison told the world how to beat him…Lovie just doesn’t believe much in man to man D and your DL couldn’t get up the middle pressure.

19. CKL says: Dec 20, 2010 2:34 AM

And yes I know it was in 08 when Capers was there and Brady got debacled in the first game but seeing him in TC was enough.

20. nokoolaidcowboy says: Dec 20, 2010 7:43 AM

Dan Connolly had a great run. Huffin’ and puffin’, there was a stiff arm…it is the play of the week. Play of the week! LMAO!!!

21. tominma says: Dec 20, 2010 7:53 AM

That WAS the version of the Pats as they are! They find ways to win! It’s going to be a fun playoff season!!

22. 1historian says: Dec 20, 2010 8:15 AM

You gotta be good

you gotta be lucky

so far my Pats are BOTH and that is a good sign

wheeeewwwww

12-2 is, as they say – 12-2.

I’ll take it

23. 1historian says: Dec 20, 2010 8:22 AM

Pats haters, and I know you are LEGION – This one should drive you NUTS.

Ugly but I’ll (we’ll) take it.

12-2 means just that.

BTW – part of the money used to pay off the officials (at EVERY Pats game – EVERY week) is deducted from your monthly cable bill, no matter who your provider may be.

You mean you didn’t know that? I thought EVERYONE knew that.

Silly me