Colts not ruling out Austin Collie

austincollie

I suspect I’m like most people who were watching Sunday’s Jaguars-Colts game in that I felt sick as I saw Austin Collie get hit in the head, crumple to the turf, and stay on the ground, having suffered his third concussion of the season. I also suspect I’m like most people in that I just assumed the Colts would shut Collie down for the year.

But Colts coach Jim Caldwell says it’s too soon to rule Collie out just yet. Instead, Caldwell says the team will follow the same course it has with Collie’s previous concussions, and let both the team’s medical staff and independent doctors evaluate him and decide whether he’s ready to return.

“Our medical professionals are as good as they come, and they take all of the necessary precautions,” Caldwell said, per John Oehser of FanHouse. “They do everything the right way. They’re very, very conservative in that regard.”

Caldwell also said the coaches won’t put any pressure on Collie to return, and even if Collie insists he wants to play, the doctors will overrule him if they don’t think he’s ready.

“If he doesn’t pass the exams, or everything does not line up properly or neurologically, then they will not release him,” Caldwell said.

From everything Caldwell is saying, the Colts are following all the proper protocols. But the mere fact that there’s a chance of Collie getting back on the field is alarming. Collie suffered a serious concussion on November 7 against the Eagles, suffered more concussion symptoms in his first game back on November 21 against the Patriots, and has now suffered yet another concussion in his first game back after that, Sunday against the Jaguars. In less than two months, Collie has played in three games and been knocked out of three games because of concussions.

I’m hoping Collie doesn’t get the chance to get knocked out of a fourth game.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Colts not ruling out Austin Collie”
  1. grogansheroes says: Dec 20, 2010 7:33 PM

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Cots!!

2. grogansheroes says: Dec 20, 2010 7:33 PM

Colts!!

3. iamalwayscorrect says: Dec 20, 2010 7:34 PM

Austin Collie
    The softest player in the NFL.

Please retire before you end up a walking vegetable.

4. cobrala says: Dec 20, 2010 7:34 PM

OBVIOUSLY the man is damaged goods.
    The PRODUCT is not being protected by the Commish at this point, is it?

5. xli2006 says: Dec 20, 2010 7:37 PM

The same discussion was going on at Stampede Blue.

What was the 3rd Concussion?

He had the Eagles injury, the initial one. He came back and played some of the Patriots game a few weeks later, but was deemed to still have symptoms so was held out the rest of the game.

This would be the 2nd concussion and it appeared to be more Neck related, which can be just as serious though.

I’m not diminishing the seriousness of what Collie has endured, I was at the game and it was eery to witness, but just trying to get the facts straight. By all reports this would be his 2nd Concussion, unless I missed something.

Too bad for the young man, he was playing outstanding yesterday.

6. smokehouse56 says: Dec 20, 2010 7:38 PM

Shut him down for the year. Enough is enough. I have the DirectTV package and got to see this by luck. It sickened me.

7. phyxsius7 says: Dec 20, 2010 7:47 PM

There was no concussion in the Pats game

8. cletusvandam says: Dec 20, 2010 7:50 PM

list him as out, then change ur mind. its ok

9. obamablowz says: Dec 20, 2010 7:52 PM

If Colts don’t rule him out the NFL had better. Sit this guy down. Tough SOB, but enough is enough.

10. pastabelly says: Dec 20, 2010 7:59 PM

I am still trying to figure out why the Colts ran that route for him that led to the second concussion. That was pretty dangerous for someone not coming right off a first concussion. Now it’s time to shut him down before he does any permanent damage.

11. blackglass3 says: Dec 20, 2010 8:04 PM

Good God, please let this guy recover properly. He’s going to be like Muhammad Ali by the time he’s 30

12. redsoxchamp11 says: Dec 20, 2010 8:13 PM

The NFL wants to talk about protecting the players and all that, Goodell needs to step in here. 3 concussions in 1 season. Shut the guy down. Caldwell is an id*ot. Maybe Hines Ward is right….

13. ajcolts says: Dec 20, 2010 8:17 PM

I love how everyone is suddenly a doctor …

You know I seen a skier take a nasty tumble that looked really horrible (several times) yet they go right back up on that hill…

Is there any chance that maybe just sometimes things LOOK WORSE THAN THEY ACTUALLY ARE??

I’ve never seen such over reaction from people ever… dude will be fine…

14. hcgraves says: Dec 20, 2010 8:17 PM

If he wants to play and he’s cleared to play than he should play, end of discussion.

15. rectumnearlykilledem says: Dec 20, 2010 8:18 PM

Stay classy Indianapolis.

16. kom2k10 says: Dec 20, 2010 8:21 PM

Sadly, Collie is the only chance the Colts have at doing anything this year. The offense looks so much more comfortable with him, then when he’s out. In 1 half he had 8 catches and 2 TD’s. Offense stalls without him. They need him, thats why they won’t rule him out…

17. oscojoe says: Dec 20, 2010 8:27 PM

The NFL needs to shut him down for the season; I think Deon Sanders is right in saying that Peyton Manning leads him into these collisions with his throws.

You don’t see Brady, Bree’s or Rivers receiver’s having these issues!

18. ttommytom says: Dec 20, 2010 8:41 PM

Wayne Chrebet needs a GPS in the town he lives in and Al Toon has finally stopped dribbling out of the side of his mouth.

The best money that buy Doctors is more like it. What Dr in the world thinks someone with 2 (maybe 3) in one year is A-OK to play? None.

19. ttommytom says: Dec 20, 2010 8:41 PM

I meant the town he grew up in…

20. 49erman says: Dec 20, 2010 8:45 PM

3 concussions in the same year, shut him down for Weeks 16 and 17. It’s not worth it…

21. ajcolts says: Dec 20, 2010 8:52 PM

He only had 2 … and again people are making assumptions… just because they reported concussion doesn’t mean anything about severity…

People are just making assumptions based on no knowledge of anything….

Fans love to act like they are on the inside because they “heard this on Profootballtalk or espn”… people you are not in “THE KNOW” … no matter how much you think you are…lol

22. pastabelly says: Dec 20, 2010 8:58 PM

ttommytom says:
    Dec 20, 2010 8:41 PM

============================
    and ted johnson went over the deep end. this is really sad. “i don’t want anyone to end up like me.”

23. scrapdawg12 says: Dec 20, 2010 9:00 PM

3 concussions…..he should be put on IR. C’mon Colts.

24. rectumnearlykilledem says: Dec 20, 2010 9:50 PM

aj Colts sounds like he also took too many hits in the head.

And why do you even want him to play? Peyton is just a .500 QB in the postseason anyway. It’s not like they can win anything with Collie either way. If push comes to shove, Manning will just throw a pick to lose the game anyway. Just sit the kid, it’s not worth it.

25. mdinla says: Dec 20, 2010 9:53 PM

I am a physician.

Collie’s second trauma seemed to be neck rather than head, but the fact that he had to be removed from the game was likely the result of cognitive problems even with indirect trauma, and he did not lose these for another three weeks.
    The last episode Sunday did not seem to be helmet to helmet, or even an unusually hard hit of his head on the ground, though I know I can’t really judge that from tv; but the outcome shows the continuing vulnerability that is part of post concussive syndrome, making it much more likely for serious damage even with less severe subsequent trauma than that which began the process. It would be very wrong for Collie to play again this season

26. jhorton83 says: Dec 20, 2010 10:05 PM

There needs to be some kind of rule to prevent someone with 3 concussions in one season from playing again until at least the following season. Otherwise he’s going to have serious long-term brain damage. There are things more important than football.

27. raiders4life says: Dec 20, 2010 10:23 PM

I hate to say it but the Raiders will put this Collie to sleep this weekend if Caldwell doesn’t do the right thing and shut this guy down for his own good. Raiders 33 Colts 27

28. imamanim40 says: Dec 20, 2010 10:37 PM

three concussions this season, and he may play again in 2010…Colts, do you WANT to get him killed??

29. wallacejay says: Dec 20, 2010 10:48 PM

Why is it that whenever Caldwell says something, it’s usually stupid?

30. mempusa says: Dec 20, 2010 11:57 PM

This kills me. Most of you want him kept off the field then on another thread b!tch about the fines because the league is getting soft.

Make up your damn minds!

31. minhw0714 says: Dec 21, 2010 12:40 AM

This kid just isn’t cut out to play in the league, which is too bad. The next contact for him shouldn’t be until July in training camp at the earliest.

32. leftysmoke says: Dec 21, 2010 1:57 AM

rectumnearlykilledem says:
    Dec 20, 2010 8:18 PM
    Stay classy Indianapolis.

What an ignorant post. Are you a Patriots fan or something? You have absolutely no idea what is going on with Collie (NONE of us do) and I think I trust the Colts, who are ONE of, if not the CLASSIEST organization in the league, to make the right decision. Irsay is pure class and so is Caldwell, regardless of his coaching skills.

If Collie wants to play and he’s cleared, that’s his decision. I think if his condition was truly detrimental to his long-term health, that the doctors and the Colts would intervene accordingly and shut him down, in which they probably will. No one wants to see Collie get hurt. Especially Manning. I felt sick to my stomach when I saw him go down at the game. Collie is a beast and a warrior. Definitely one of my favorite players, if not my favorite. Shut your mouth and let the Colts and Collie handle this.

GO COLTS! Two down. Six to go!

33. grogansheroes says: Dec 21, 2010 9:38 AM

leftysmoke says:
    Dec 21, 2010 1:57 AM
    rectumnearlykilledem says:
    Dec 20, 2010 8:18 PM
    Stay classy Indianapolis.

GO COLTS! Two down. Six to go!
    ——————————————-
    So what you’re saying is it should be up to the player and the Colts to decide when he should play? So a player or team has NEVER put a player in a game when he should not be? If you truly believe that, you are an idiot. Oh, and yeah, I can bitch about the NFL fining players for good hits, and still not want a concussed player to play. They are not the same thing, and if you can’t understand that, well that is to be expected, you being a Manning ball washer and all.

34. mdinla says: Dec 21, 2010 10:52 AM

Still an MD. The history of the NFL is filled with traIners and team physicians who were basically orthopedists who had no significant training in neurology, and who had no understanding of the cumulative effects of concussions. Used to be if you could see or guess the number of fingers held up,you were back in the game. The brain is particularly susceptible to repeat injury if the initial injury isn’t completely cleared. The financial implications of playing Collie for the franchise, and the pressure that puts on the medical staff plus the culture of “playing hurt” puts concussed players in danger.

Its clear to me that Collie’s first injury was not healed when they put him back in, explaining how easily he was sidelined for almost a month the second time. The third one was almost predictable. Its true none of us bloggers did an exam of Collie to know his current state. But, as someone who loves to watch Peyton play and win, and hates the Patriots, this man should be on the sidelines till next year, if then, and should then play only with some specifically designed protective helmet

35. joetoronto says: Dec 21, 2010 12:11 PM

imamanim40 says: Dec 20, 2010 10:37 PM

*********************************************************
    They just don’t care, and neither do some Indy fans, evidently.