Vikings upgrade Favre from out to questionable

Brett Favre Pic

The Vikings listed quarterback Brett Favre as “out” on their Saturday injury report with chest, ankle, and right shoulder injuries.  Favre did not take a single practice rep during the week, and all signs pointed to rookie Joe Webb starting on Monday Night Football.

Early Monday afternoon, the Vikings announced that Favre has been upgraded from “out” to “questionable” for tonight’s matchup with the Chicago Bears.

Favre will be worked out 2.5 hours before game time, and Vikings medical staff will determine his status then.  According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, Favre attended Saturday’s walk-through practice in sweats.

“In fairness to him and his team, he would like to be given the opportunity to play tonight if physically able,” Vikings trainer Eric Sugarman told Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com on Monday.

Injury report downgrades a day or two before games are pretty common, but we can’t recall the last time a player was upgraded from out to questionable on the same day as the game.  It may never have happened at all.

The Vikings also made a roster move Monday, placing guard Steve Hutchinson on injured reserve and signing undrafted rookie quarterback R.J. Archer from the practice squad.  Hutchinson had a broken hand.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Vikings upgrade Favre from out to questionable”
  1. tedvalentine says: Dec 20, 2010 1:24 PM

Just retire and go ride that tractor already.

2. backindasaddle says: Dec 20, 2010 1:31 PM

Please just go away Brett….Please just go away.

3. toledoohoh says: Dec 20, 2010 1:37 PM

Now there’s a system that seems open to abuse.

4. packerjer says: Dec 20, 2010 1:40 PM

“Out” is defined as “zero chance to play.” Now he has a chance to play.

What!!??

5. anarchopurplism says: Dec 20, 2010 1:42 PM

So….upgraded from Out to Maybe or Maybe Not Out.

That’s a fitting description for Favre.

6. joetoronto says: Dec 20, 2010 1:42 PM

Meanwhile, T-Jack is out for the season with turf toe.

7. Deb says: Dec 20, 2010 1:45 PM

Let’s see … I love good football. So what’s going to give me the best chance of seeing a competitive game? A sixth-round rookie from UAB? Or a Hall of Famer who’s played 20 years?

You guys need to get over your Favrephobia.

8. slatetundra07 says: Dec 20, 2010 1:48 PM

I don’t give a crap who’s starting…it’s open season on the Bears!

9. actiondanwi says: Dec 20, 2010 1:49 PM

Brett… suit up and play well. Keep GB’s NFC North title chances alive!

10. contra74 says: Dec 20, 2010 1:50 PM

To all those complaining about Favre…this time its not about him but rather a logical and smart move by the Vikings. Right now the only QB is Webb so what happens if he goes down? The brought in Archer who will be the #2 and in case he fails/goes down then Favre will be the last option. Seems simple to me.

11. nepatriots128154 says: Dec 20, 2010 1:50 PM

No one cares about Brett Favre anymore.

12. hueylewis says: Dec 20, 2010 1:51 PM

Jaworski, Gruden and Tirico’s Christmas wish may come true?

13. moochzilla says: Dec 20, 2010 1:52 PM

Oh well, forget watching ESPN tonight.

Seriously, it’s 45% Lebron and 40% Favre. Then 10% of cross-promotion for stuff no one wants to watch.

The leaves 5% for actual valuable content.

14. moochzilla says: Dec 20, 2010 1:53 PM

Deb – point is they’re sunk either way. I full advocate tanking for draft position.

They’d be fools to even start Webb. If I was them I’d be giving you or me a call about starting!

15. tedvalentine says: Dec 20, 2010 1:55 PM

@Deb

You make a good point, but you need to learn to recognize an WWL fabrication when you see it.

16. sammyvee says: Dec 20, 2010 1:57 PM

Vikings have had every opportunity to use the “doubtful” category. They even could have listed the player as “doubtful” while adding “When Hell freezes over” or “better chance of winning the lottery. But they didn’t list the player as “doubtful”, they listed the player as OUT!

OUT is OUT! There is no credibility with the NFL reports if they allow players to be upgraded from “OUT”. Why would any team list a player as any better than out if they could upgrade from “OUT” on the day of the game?

17. jcmichaels42 says: Dec 20, 2010 1:57 PM

Not surprising. If you’ve followed anything Favre has done in his career this shouldn’t surprise you at all. With the weather expected in Minnesota, I doubt he’d be able to feel his hands anyway.

18. tombradyswig says: Dec 20, 2010 1:58 PM

Come on and play, ya ol gunslinger!!
    Na, actually, save it for next week at Philly to go out in a blaze of glory….. and ints!

19. cmstrick says: Dec 20, 2010 1:58 PM

I hope Favre plays tonight because I’m a Packer fan and I want the Bears to lose.

For the sake of my soul, I hope that rooting against the Bears isn’t the same as rooting for the Vikings…

20. packerjer says: Dec 20, 2010 2:00 PM

Deb says:
    Dec 20, 2010 1:45 PM

You guys need to get over your Favrephobia.

__________

I’m just confused as to how this can be allowed? If you declare the guy has 0% chance to play, how can he then be allowed to play? I’m happy about it. The Packers need the Bears to lose tonight, but that seems awfully shady.

21. jimmy1smith says: Dec 20, 2010 2:01 PM

We know Favre is a drama queen, this move by the Vikings is called enabling behavior.

And for those who think that a QB with one of lowest QB rankings and with the highest number of INT’s and fumbles translates into the “best chance to win” is probably a Viking fan. In other words, doesn’t know jack about football.

22. sh4doww4lker says: Dec 20, 2010 2:02 PM

To the “NOT-IN-THE-KNOW” mentality…. you really need to take a break from the SAY ANYTHING AGAINST B. FAVRE crowd idiocy and appreciate seeing history in the making…..

…….just because his consecutive game streak has ended that doesn’t mean NFL commentators won’t be talking about him for years to come, as one of the greatest NFL competitors of all time …….

Simply put — how do your lifelong accomplishments compare to his………

23. blue58set says: Dec 20, 2010 2:04 PM

It’s his last chance to play in front of a national TV audience, as a life long Packer Fan of 36 yrs, this does not shock me at all. I’ve expected him to be back in there the whole time.

24. slatetundra07 says: Dec 20, 2010 2:06 PM

For once…I don’t mind Favre coming back and giving the Vikes a chance to win. Injured and all & crappy performances…he’s still better than Jackson/Webb combined.

25. importantpftcomment says: Dec 20, 2010 2:08 PM

Gee, considering it makes the Bears consider the possibility of a 20 year guaranteed hall of famer playing the game, seems like a simple thing to me.

So what if it is the first time it has ever happened. There is a first time for everything in the world, right?

In the second time in about as many days, I gotta agree with what Deb said earlier. It would be a far better game with Favre in vs Webb (though he does have possibilities, just not this year) Beyond that, I do question why a admitted Steelers fan feels the need to troll any post where Favre is mentioned. UGH

26. importantpftcomment says: Dec 20, 2010 2:13 PM

@jimmy1smith

The highest number of INT’s currently belongs to E. Manning. You have proven once again that you are in fact the one that knows nothing about football.

Thanks for playing, have a crappy day!

27. bradshawlives says: Dec 20, 2010 2:18 PM

Deb – when Favre retires, who will replace him as the object of your animal lust?
    And to answer your question – I’d rather have the young guy who has something to prove than a broken down pathetic and hapless old guy who only wants attention. If you think the old guy gives them the best chance to win, you haven’t been paying attention to how he’s played this year.

28. Lisa (VikesPrincess) says: Dec 20, 2010 2:20 PM

@blue58set

It’s actually not our last nationally televised game. The Vikings/Eagles game was flexed into primetime for next week.

Personally, I’m torn. I’d like to see Favre rally but am very interested to see if Webb has anything we can capitalize on.

It’s snowing like crazy here right now and fans are already lined up. Gonna be a crazy night!

29. rusty81 says: Dec 20, 2010 2:21 PM

blue58set says:
    Dec 20, 2010 2:04 PM
    _____________________________

actually, the following week’s game was flexed to the sunday night time slot so there’s another primetime game left on the vikings schedule…

30. Deb says: Dec 20, 2010 2:21 PM

@mooch … Call me? The day a woman QBs an NFL game is the day I start watching hockey ;) Never tank for draft position; always play for pride. Nothing good comes from throwing a game. Ask the Colts. BTW, congrats to your Eagles. What a comeback!!

@ted … What part was fabricated? Not the injury because if it were humanly possible for him to play last week, he would have. So are they fabricating that he could go tonight? Possibly. But I’ve seen him play with some pretty nasty injuries before. I’m a cynical girl, but all I see is a guy whose condition has been somewhat upgraded. Happens every week.

@packerjer … Statuses change. Shoulder may have improved enough for him to play. Maybe not.

@jimmysmith … So you are the PFT football expert?? ROFL You’re just the resident snark. Have never seen you post any intelligent football commentary.

31. cynicalvision says: Dec 20, 2010 2:27 PM

Cutler is one of the worst cold weather QB’s I’ve ever seen.

32. pudgalvin says: Dec 20, 2010 2:42 PM

@cynicalvision:

See last years Bears/Vikings game played in December at night at Soldier Field.

Farve decided there was just a wee bit too much attention being payed to the game not being at the Metrodome. Can’t have that. Ed Werder is rubbing down Farve as we speak.

If anything, I like the Bears chances better tonight. Farve certainly won’t be content to hand off to AD all game long.

33. moochzilla says: Dec 20, 2010 3:19 PM

This is a business! I say tank it.

Then again, I wanted to start the local cub scout pack one year to get Greg Oden. And that would have been a flop. Although the quality of 76 basketball would not really have been much different.

34. debthebusybody says: Dec 20, 2010 3:41 PM

he will play because…..I know it all.

35. ditkaditkaditka says: Dec 20, 2010 3:53 PM

I think Webb gives them a better chance than a broken down old man who can’t even stand upright anymore. Put his old arse in, I would love to watch him get smeared by Peppers…

36. cletusvandam says: Dec 20, 2010 3:57 PM

If I was the rest of the league I’d start listing my entire roster as out every week. Then hours before kickoff surprise! Almost everyone is fine, except the ones that aren’t but it’s too late for your opponent to gameplan for that by then.

37. packerrube13 says: Dec 20, 2010 4:19 PM

jimmy1smith says:
    Dec 20, 2010 2:01 PM

————————————————-

He flat out does give them the best chance to win, from a Packer fan’s perspective. Any real football fan knows this. Let’s see-Cold weather, veteran defense, and a west coast offense. Mr. Favre, or a 6th round rookie who was in the process of being switched to receiver when his name got called… Yeah. You are the idiot, and I agree with Deb, I have NEVER seen you post an intelligent comment. The odds were on your side to do so too, given the quantity of posts you have on your record… Not ONE came off as credible. Nicely done. And thanks for adding to the PFT entertainment.

38. Manbearpig says: Dec 20, 2010 4:25 PM

Injury report downgrades a day or two before games are pretty common, but we can’t recall the last time a player was upgraded from out to questionable on the same day as the game. It may never have happened at all.

Some killer reporting there, Gregg. I can’t remember the last time an alien came down to earth and wiped out a city. It may never have happened at all.

Who the eff even cares. The Vikings aren’t going to the playoffs anyway.

39. Deb says: Dec 20, 2010 4:40 PM

@bradshawlives …

No offense, but Favre doesn’t do it for me. I just love his enthusiasm for the game and admire his grit. When it comes to lust, I lean toward Matt Hasselbeck and Mike Tomlin.

@importantpftcomment …

1. As previously noted, have been watching Favre for two decades and appreciate his grit and contribution to the game. Also feel compelled to comment when a woman like Sterger exploits women’s issues for personal gain.
    2. I love football. And since I’m working long hours on the computer, pop over and comment on many PFT/CFT topics.
    3. Since I’ve been a regular on this site for a long time, I question why you are so obsessed with where I comment. Many nonVikes fans that aren’t even in your division comment on every Favre thread, just as fans of teams that aren’t in our division comment on Steelers threads. Don’t notice you getting bent out of shape about anyone else–and the irony is that I generally post positive things about your team. Maybe it’s a bizarre misogyny thing.

@My lil busybody buddy …

Aw … hello lil Packer fan! Where have you been? Can see you’re still whining because I’m saying positive things about Favre. Your backup made a nice showing against the Pats last night. Too bad his coach didn’t feel the need to … well, coach him on how to finish the game. It’s so embarrassing to see an entire offense just stand there and look stupid until the clock runs out. Tsk, tsk.

40. jwil444 says: Dec 20, 2010 4:47 PM

sad….the creepy old guy just doesn’t know when to leave the party and now he’s scaring the young girls.

Like the guys that graduate highschool and keep showing up at the party years after the fact

41. supergoonone says: Dec 20, 2010 5:18 PM

Granpa you need to retire!!!

42. importantpftcomment says: Dec 20, 2010 5:22 PM

@Deb

I to sit at a computer for work, but that doesn’t compel me to comment where I know nothing. Not to mention this particular post has nothing to do with the gold digger.

More often than not, you are wrong when you state things about the dome, the team, the state or whatever you comment on. It has been proven many times.

Yes, I too am called out here and there, but more often it is a delusional FudgePacker backer who actually knows less than you do. However, I don’t instill the apparent hatred that you do. Are you too blind to see it?

Ever wonder why there are so many people that constantly challenge your opinion or even make fake names based off yours? Could it possibly be that many are laughing at your lack of knowledge and that alone makes you a target?

Unless you post under different name, now or previous, you have NOT been here for a long time, unless you did more reading than posting. How do I know that? Because I have been here since before the sellout to NBC. Why have you not seen my name before this? I plead the fifth! :)

Go back to playing woman’s rights advocate, back to healing after your admitted 20 plus surgeries and at least take the time to learn what you are talking about before you speak!

43. Deb says: Dec 20, 2010 6:58 PM

unimportant …

I’ve commented every day for the last year and a half and have gotten as much positive attention as negative, much of it from guys who appreciate my football knowledge. It’s commentary, honey. The goal is to provoke opinion, whether positive or negative. Obviously that is your problem. Apparently you took a break, came back, and found another woman getting attention when your posts don’t. And you’ve been pitching hissy fits at me ever since. So I was right about it being a bizarre form of misogyny.

All I did was joke about the Metrodome deflating–just like dozens of others. You took it and ran with it because of your bizarre obsession. I know as much about the pros and cons of inflatable domes on stadiums as you do. Funny how you didn’t skipped the thread when I posted seriously on the subject.

There’s something disturbing about a woman so consumed by whatever it is you’re consumed by that you’d resent my cancer and surgical history, but if I could wave a magic wand and give you assault experience, three cancer battles, and 28 surgeries so you’d have that experience to draw on when commenting on assault, cancer, and pain-tolerance stories, believe me, I would. On those subjects, I’d prefer to have gotten my info from an Internet search. But since it’s such an obsession for you, maybe fate will grant your wish and you can walk in my shoes one day.

Anyway, as I’ve told you two dozen times now, I will continue to post as I please. And, Ms. Cow, you can just keep throwing irrational hissy fits about my presence.