Seahawks fan sues Jets, Shaun Ellis over snow-throwing incident

Chad Henne

Two years ago, after Seahawks fans pelted Jets players and coaches with snowballs, Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis picked up a huge chunk of snow and chucked it into the first row of the stands.

Ellis was fined $10,000 by the NFL, and now he’s getting sued.

Robert Larsen, a Seahawks season ticket holder, is suing both Ellis and the Jets, seeking damages for past and future medical expenses, past and future loss of earning, partial impairment of earnings and earning capacity, mental and physical pain and suffering, among other things.

Ellis confirmed that he’s being sued but said he couldn’t comment.

“I mean, he filed a lawsuit so I guess it’s a pending legal matter so I guess I shouldn’t comment on it,” Ellis said. “I mean anytime you’re going into a situation like that you’re definitely concerned but it’s two years removed, you know? So, I mean, just have to let the courts handle it and see what happens from there.”

Video of the incident is here.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
45 Responses to “Seahawks fan sues Jets, Shaun Ellis over snow-throwing incident”
  1. FinFan68 says: Dec 21, 2010 10:44 AM

two years later…whatever. I can see waiting a month or two but two years is ridiculous. It was a snowball.

2. bonesuggsnharmony says: Dec 21, 2010 10:44 AM

good ole Jets stay in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons

3. elyasm says: Dec 21, 2010 10:46 AM

Ellis then pointed out that Patriots former linebacker Tedy Bruschi is known to have thrown snow into the stands on prior occasions and suggested that perhaps the Seahawks fan should be suing him and the Patriots instead. Commissioner Goodell agreed and immediately fined the Patriots organization $750,000 and a first round draft pick. Again.

4. donterrelli says: Dec 21, 2010 10:51 AM

I mean, you know, I mean, you know, know what I’m saying?

5. joetoronto says: Dec 21, 2010 10:54 AM

I’m sure he was hurt by that lob. *roll eyes*

6. albanyhawker says: Dec 21, 2010 10:58 AM

I’m a life long Seahawks fan and this guy is an embarrassment to the 12th Man!

You brought it on yourself dummy, deal with it.

7. poliansuxmanningblows says: Dec 21, 2010 10:59 AM

The Jets have been living under Goodell’s cloak of protection for so long, I wonder how much the NFL is going to pay this guy off to make him go away?

I hope this guy takes the Jets to the cleaners…

8. igottz5onit says: Dec 21, 2010 11:01 AM

Any surprise that a Seahawks fan would do this? These are the same fans that still whine about “getting cheated” out of Super Bowl XL when their team didn’t show up.

9. sttbm says: Dec 21, 2010 11:02 AM

As a Seahawks fan, this disgusts me. Guy has enough money to buy season tickets along the sideline, but decides two years later to sue for pain and mental anguish and loss of income. What a douche!

Its hard enough being a fan of a team the rest of the US thinks plays in South Alaska without a$$hats like this guy grubbing for money they dont need and making it even worse. Like Seattle’s 15 wins in 3 years havent made things bad enough.

10. minnesotablizzard says: Dec 21, 2010 11:05 AM

One of the many reasons this country is going down the toilet.

Look at this crap and how soft people are becoming just trying to make a buck.

11. mensamember says: Dec 21, 2010 11:06 AM

Love the D bag filming it yelling” I got that on tape” Next up the attorney representing the plaintiff from the esteemed law firm of Dewey, Fukem and Howe will have a press conference explaining the damages his client suffered: 2 forms of ED. Erectile disfunction and Explosive Diarheaa(SP).
    Any astute NFL fan knows this is just a way to get even for the Testaverde TD.

12. ianwhetstone says: Dec 21, 2010 11:06 AM

This should do wonders for the perception of Seahawks fans as crying wieners.

13. hobartbaker says: Dec 21, 2010 11:08 AM

I’m gonna track down Eddie Gilbert from third grade for the time he broke my glasses with an ice ball. I hope he’s rich, it’s been a lot of years of emotional stress.

14. kate773 says: Dec 21, 2010 11:15 AM

Give me a break. I hate the Jets but I hate this crap just as much. Did this guy sue everyone he’s ever had a snowball fight with?

15. robzar says: Dec 21, 2010 11:32 AM

Sue everybody! Punitive damages!(JerkyBoys)

16. nomesayin says: Dec 21, 2010 11:33 AM

The fan is seeking damages for past and future medical expenses, past and future loss of earning, partial impairment of earnings and earning capacity, mental and physical pain and suffering, among other things…all because he caught a snow boulder which was lobbed up at him by Ellis.

You can see on the vid that the fan catches the boulder, then fakes a ‘fall’ backward just like a driver would grab his neck and claim whiplash after bumping fenders in a parking lot.

This fan’s name isn’t Jenn Sterger, is it?

17. richm2256 says: Dec 21, 2010 11:33 AM

elyasm says:
    ————————————————-

Post of the Day! (made me laugh, thanks!)

@FinFan68 says:
    ————————————————
    Did you follow the YouTube link? That was one big-a$$ chunk of snow Elis threw, not merely a little snowball.

That said, the video clearly shows the plaintiff holding a snowball in his own hand, so I’d have to say Ellis did a pre-emptive strike and the fan got what he had coming. Also, as big as the chunk of snow was, it clearly didn’t do serious damage to this fraud, er, plaintiff.

I’m not saying that Larsen doesn’t deserve compensation for past and future medical expenses, past and future loss of earning, partial impairment of earnings and earning capacity, mental and physical pain and suffering, among other things; I’m just saying he ought to be going after the Seahawks for causing all that by putting incredibly crappy teams on the field year after year.

Then again, Larsen is a season ticket holder of his own free will, and that precludes that he already had impaired judgement.

CASE CLOSED!

18. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Dec 21, 2010 11:34 AM

The damage could have been a lot worse. I mean, Ellis could have hurt his back by not bending his knees to lift that chunk of snow. Terrible form.

19. xcerebus1 says: Dec 21, 2010 11:35 AM

Is this related to the Jets moron who tried to sue the Pats for the taping incident?

20. gcbean says: Dec 21, 2010 11:43 AM

I have been right next to this fan at a game a few years ago. He’s a total loudmouth to every visiting team. I’m all about heckling opposing teams, but this guy crosses the line. I was shocked out how much of a douche this guy was.

21. cardsmac says: Dec 21, 2010 11:45 AM

I’m surprised the Seattle Seahawks players and organization haven’t come out in support of this guy. I’m sure they’re looking for the video of an official helping Ellis throw the snowball.

22. epping16 says: Dec 21, 2010 11:46 AM

That guy must be as soft as Hassleback. The video that is linked to is not the most telling. There is another video there of the same thing, that is a little bit longer. It shows the guy pick up the big chunk of snow and hold it up in the air dancing around. I’m sure he was really hurt. Seattle is soft.

23. jimmy1smith says: Dec 21, 2010 12:07 PM

The guy is a season ticket holder, he should sue the Seahawks for impersonating a pro football team.

24. joetoronto says: Dec 21, 2010 12:15 PM

I’m just waiting for a lawyer to come along and defend this mofo.

25. grogansheroes says: Dec 21, 2010 12:26 PM

Sandra Lee’s Cans says:
    Dec 21, 2010 11:34 AM
    _________________________
    Great name, but if you’ve seen her lately, she either had a reduction, or got a bra that worked. No longer hanging to her waist.

26. dolphindad says: Dec 21, 2010 12:27 PM

haha. i forgot about that. what a great video. bad news for Ellis though. the whole thing is on tape. he really cant say he didnt do it.

my guess is the guy is suing now cause most states have a 2 year statute of limitations on tort suits. so sue now, or miss your chance forever.

throwing mega snow balls at fans, tripping opposing players, DUIs, sexting personnel, harrassing female reports…. what a dumpster of an organization. hooligans!

27. jerryloler says: Dec 21, 2010 12:33 PM

As a Pats fan I love when something awful happens to the Jets, but this is pathetic and frivolous.

Seahawks fans, check your people.

28. ice90 says: Dec 21, 2010 12:34 PM

Fans were peppering the Jets with snowballs as they were leaving the stadium. The Jets should sue the Seahawks for lack of security.

29. citynative says: Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM

Seahawks fans are soft.

30. steelnucs says: Dec 21, 2010 12:50 PM

igottz5onit says:
    Dec 21, 2010 11:01 AM

Hit it right on the head. Not surprised at all. What a total tool this guy is. Hopefully he gets tossed out of court (along with this pathetic “case”) on his bitchy little a$$.

31. ocgunslinger says: Dec 21, 2010 12:52 PM

The idiot can’t be serious with the lawsuit. If there is any sort of justice then this will be thrown out immediately. This crap typifies what is wrong with our society these days.

32. seahawks4alltime says: Dec 21, 2010 12:57 PM

The guy was holding a sign. Not a snowball. He was holding a sign and got rocked by a huge chunk of snow. I’ve been hit in the face by a similar chunk of snow and I would never bitch like this guy. I want to sue the “fan” and take his season tickets. He’s not part of the 12th man. He’s a little girl and any real Seahawks fan would throw even more snow at this punk.

33. redtrek03 says: Dec 21, 2010 12:58 PM

Here’s the dick celebrating that he got hit by that snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3-aUA8Owyo&NR=1

God forbid someone who needs to sue someone for negligence and can’t because the courts are clogged up with nonsense lawsuits like this.

34. ArtModellsPimp says: Dec 21, 2010 12:58 PM

#sttbm says:

“And you know he was one of the ones throwing snoballs. Guy probably came from Cleveland…”
    —————–

Clevelanders don’t throw “snoballs.” We throw D batteries. Only some candyass fan from Seattle would throw snow.

Get your facts straight before you open your hole.

35. ruvelligwebuike says: Dec 21, 2010 12:59 PM

Good thing this guy was never around during our neighborhood snow fights. We’d put rocks in the middle of them, dip them in water and re-freeze them, the whole works.

Yes, that’s how cool I was.

36. easyeddie says: Dec 21, 2010 1:10 PM

I hate the Jets but………totally frivilous lawsuit. Tort reform now.

37. easyeddie says: Dec 21, 2010 1:13 PM

ianwhetstone says:
    Dec 21, 2010 11:06 AM
    This should do wonders for the perception of Seahawks fans as crying wieners.

What do you mean “perception”? That’s what they are!

38. kosarsmyidol says: Dec 21, 2010 1:17 PM

ianwhetstone says:
    Dec 21, 2010 11:06 AM
    “This should do wonders for the perception of Seahawks fans as crying wieners.”

I’m not sure if you really meant ‘crying whiners,’ but ‘crying wieners’ is a hell of a lot funnier. I wish I was 15 again so I could start a crappy punk band called The Crying Wieners.

And holy sh!t, that’s a huge boulder of snow. I think I pulled something just watching him lift that. Unless this dude suffered some kind of serious injury (scratched eye, concussion or broken tooth), he is a d-bag for suing.

39. easyeddie says: Dec 21, 2010 1:20 PM

redtrek03 says:
    Dec 21, 2010 12:58 PM

Considering how effed-up our tort judicial system is, he’ll be awarded everything he asks for, or if the judge ever sees this video it’ll be thrown out.

40. bucx01 says: Dec 21, 2010 1:36 PM

I seen the 2nd clip yesterday which shows the guy dancing and holding the snowball over his head. Not sure why PFT went with the 12 second clip.

Either way lawsuit is BS and I hope the judge forces Larsen to pay all court fees!!!

41. bspn2 says: Dec 21, 2010 1:53 PM

This wuss epitomizes the cry-baby attitude of Seahawks fans. What? He’s not suing the refs too?

Yeah, he looks like he’s really injured jumping up and down holding the chunk of snow. I’d like to know what his ‘injuries’ were. He probably just sustained a broken vagina.

Seahawks fans are the worst in the league. Most of them don’t even know the city has an NFL team unless they’ve won a few games. The Seahawks should move to Oklahoma City.

42. granadafan says: Dec 21, 2010 1:56 PM

What an arse hat this “fan” is. I can’t stand the Jets and Seabirds, but idiots like this guy are what’s wrong this country. Everyone’s out to make a quick buck unwarranted or not. This “incident” is not warranted. I wish I was on the jury for this case (if it got that far) just vote against the plaintiff and make him pay the lawyer fees for both the Jets and Ellis.

43. steeelfann says: Dec 21, 2010 2:31 PM

2 Words: Tort Reform

This country cannot survive and compete as is, with all of this stupidity and rewarding those with a bunch of money who produce nothing.

We chase our tails with this garbage while we have politicians just jamming it in us. Harry Reid texts Lady Gaga when the gay thing is held up.

The emperor fiddles while Rome burns.

Pathetic.

Tort Reform. Nobody in congress with law degrees.

44. sweetnlow44 says: Dec 21, 2010 2:51 PM

The crap the Seahawks put out on the field is embarrassing enough, we don’t need this little bitch adding to it. Being a fan of Seattle sports is damn near depressing.

45. joetoronto says: Dec 21, 2010 5:12 PM

Part of the problem with lawsuits in the USA is that plaintiffs don’t have to pay the legal fees of the defendant if they should lose.

That leaves the door wide open for frivolous lawsuits.